BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

You don't know enough about European football then, so no point having this conversation. Both Pienaar and Santa Cruz were very well known players.

They werent 'names' I am not the slightest interestedin European football, the French League is mediocre though they have technically some good players, Belgium, Holland, Austria etc are miles behind the premiership, probably only Spain and Italy are on a par and even their game is vastly different to the prem.

As for the Germans, well, I feel their football has gone backwards in the last few years!!

The ones to watch now are Japan, USA etc who have got the coaching and facilities in place to move up a grade!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? He seems to fall just short most seasons.

46 goals in 210 games for notlob. Hardly setting the world on fire.

PL goals

08/09: 12

07/08: 3

06/07: 8

05/06: 7

04/05: 8

03/04: 9

Its still 8 plus assists, he got 12 last year in a poor bolton team. I would love to know his assists record whilst under Sam. Theres so much more to his game than goals, especially since its looking likely we will play the 451/433.

He knows the role will do well in the role, will score a few and lay on a few not bad in todays market for under 5M.

Capello was close to giving him the call last year.

Sam knows him he will slot straight in oh and he's english, you are all harping on about europe and how it must be our ambition next season, wouldn't it be funny if we didn't have enough home-grown players. Unless of course we want to use about 6 youth players in our 25 man squad.

Anyways its just a paper story at present, no more.

Heh, I'd forgotten his "modesty" on joining the last time.

I have one major concern with this signing, and that is that they'll have to increase the size of Brockhall to allow for the average increase in turning circle for our squad. But it's ok, it won't have to be any longer, because they'll take so long to turn. Davies is slow. Hardworking, yes, good target man, okay I'll accept that, but he's slow. One of the reasons we scored so few the last couple of years is that there's no bloody pace. And we need pace. Davies makes this situation worse.

Also, the sums mentioned are ludicrous and I seriously doubt anyone would pay 5 million for Davies. As for wages, well I'd hope we'd be restrained there too.

Sorry Nicko. I agree with you on allot of things. But on this matter i strongly disagree with you.

If Bolton will require a large sum of money (over £3m) for Davies, then Sam should look elsewhere (having said that IMO he should look elsewhere regardless). If he blasts a insane amount on Davies, he is compromising the future development of our team, and taking investment out of other key positions in the squad which need improving!

There are times when I am quietly relieved that Sam is the manager...

The price for Davies would have to be bigger than you would want to pay.

But WHERE is there a better, experienced, proven target man in the Premier League?

Or anywhere?

Janko has scored goals in a two-bob league. If you want that kind of striker go and buy Kris Boyd. It's about the same standard as the SPL.

Zigic would be a laughing stock.

I have to say that Davies and Di Santo as a pairing would be frightening for most opponents.

Why do you think Fergie goes out of his way to pick on Davies before every Man U v Bolton game. He fears him. He knows he will win a lot of the ball and leave a bit on his players.

If you put the shrewd Davies and the young and exciting Di Santo together it would be a lot more potent than McCarthy, Roberts or Santa Cruz were last season.

Santa Cruz for Davies? You've got to be kidding me. With Davies and Di Santo upfront next season there is only one way that we'll play - and it aint gonna be pretty. Where is the pace?..it's so obvious that we need pace and yet were after big frontmen. Replacing your best player with a 'good' 32 year old premier league striker shows no ambition whatsoever.

Its still 8 plus assists, he got 12 last year in a poor bolton team. I would love to know his assists record whilst under Sam. Theres so much more to his game than goals, especially since its looking likely we will play the 451/433.

And who will put away those Goals he creates? Benni?- if he's interested maybe though he will be benched if he continues the McDonald's diet. Roberts?- Not a decent finisher as well all know. Di Santo?- If he comes we will be putting a lot of pressure on the youngster if we want him to be our main goalscorer.

Santa Cruz for Davies? You've got to be kidding me. With Davies and Di Santo upfront next season there is only one way that we'll play - and it aint gonna be pretty. Where is the pace?..it's so obvious that we need pace and yet were after big frontmen. Replacing your best player with a 'good' 32 year old premier league striker shows no ambition whatsoever.

Santa Cruz played 20 Premier League games last season and scored four goals. He missed countless matches with various injuries.

Davies played in all 38 Premier League games last season and scored 11 goals. I have seen him play on with dislocated fingers for the team.

Which one would you rather have?

It was in the papers he commited more fouls than anyone else...alls i can say if you believe in slobdavies then you have been brainwashed by the bolton fans in your house. warnock gives 100% ...davie didnt give 5% to us and thus DOES NOT DESEVER TO WEAR A ROVERS SHIRT EVER AGAIN!

I do honestly think he's a good player regardless of him giving 5% for us back then, he's moved on and developed into a decent player. Also having committed the most fouls doesn't really make him he's the dirtiest player, he gets stuck in and any sort of contact these days is a foul it doesn't necessarily mean he makes dirty tackles.

It was over 10 years ago since he last played for us he was a young lad then with a lot of pressure on him being a success, he maybe couldn't cope with the pressure :unsure: Anyways let's hope he's settled at Bolton but that wouldn't stop Gartside from selling him, he'd sell his right arm for money ;) We'll only be able to tell if it's a good signing if he actually plays for us again we can all think of the last time he played for us and how shocking he is, we'll just have to wait and see.

I have to say that Davies and Di Santo as a pairing would be frightening for most opponents.

Why do you think Fergie goes out of his way to pick on Davies before every Man U v Bolton game. He fears him. He knows he will win a lot of the ball and leave a bit on his players.

If you put the shrewd Davies and the young and exciting Di Santo together it would be a lot more potent than McCarthy, Roberts or Santa Cruz were last season.

Why can't Di Santo play the Roque/targetman role? He is 6 foot 4 and from footage i've seen he can hold the ball up well.

If we can bring him in on loan then we could look at a different type of striker, preferably someone with pace to run behind the defence.

Guest benmaxwell
But WHERE is there a better, experienced, proven target man in the Premier League?

Or anywhere?

So you are now claiming that Davies is the best £5 million rated target-man in the world? :blink:

Santa Cruz played 20 Premier League games last season and scored four goals. He missed countless matches with various injuries.

Davies played in all 38 Premier League games last season and scored 11 goals. I have seen him play on with dislocated fingers for the team.

I would rather have the 27 year old player who managed to score 20 plus goals in 07-08, then the 32 year old player who maxed out at 11 last season. :rolleyes:

Hell i would rather have the injury prone center-forward from last season, and have his value still in the squad, then money wasted on that lump Davies.

Just because Roque was injured most of last season doesn't mean he won't be fit this season. Yes its unlikely but he could have a similar season to our first one.

If both players are fully fit and firing then Roque blows Davies out of the water, Davies is inferior in every way. Which we will see if Roque remains fit under Hughes at City.

If Davies does come back, all I can say is 'he owes us, big time'

. I have seen him play on with dislocated fingers for the team.

WOW !! IM TOTALLY IMPRESSED AT HOW BRAVE HE IS THEN !!!! :rolleyes:

When i won the English Wrestling championships i carried on with a dislocated knee for the last minute to win the title...we used to dislocate fingers and break them regularly and we just taped them up and get on with it and USE them ,how you call lard kev brave for carrying on with his fingers is laughable.

There are times when I am quietly relieved that Sam is the manager...

The price for Davies would have to be bigger than you would want to pay.

Or anywhere?

Janko has scored goals in a two-bob league. If you want that kind of striker go and buy Kris Boyd. It's about the same standard as the SPL.

Zigic would be a laughing stock.

Agreed.

If he comes the fans will be praising him come the tail end of the season, Di Santo that is, great talent.

And who will put away those Goals he creates? Benni?- if he's interested maybe though he will be benched if he continues the McDonald's diet. Roberts?- Not a decent finisher as well all know. Di Santo?- If he comes we will be putting a lot of pressure on the youngster if we want him to be our main goalscorer.

Benni can put them away just unfortunatly I don't mean goals. I cannot see Benni being with us next year if he comes back from the summer as he did last year.

If we play a 3 emerton would be a good shout in there and we could still sign a quality midfielder with the money we would have left over, if we sign Davies.

WOW !! IM TOTALLY IMPRESSED AT HOW BRAVE HE IS THEN !!!! :rolleyes:

When i won the English Wrestling championships i carried on with a dislocated knee for the last minute to win the title...we used to dislocate fingers and break them regularly and we just taped them up and get on with it and USE them ,how you call lard kev brave for carrying on with his fingers is laughable.

If you compare it to Kirklands finger record Davies is a true Soldier!!!

I completely understand your reasoning Nicko and Davies will no doubt do a job for a couple of season's.

But surely we should have a mix up top with a big man (Davies/Di Santo) and somebody with pace to get in behind defences? For too long have we been one dimensional and our team is crying out for both pace and creativity.

I'd not be against Davies if we were to bring in some pace to compliment him, but if we're bringing in Mr X and Y already then I can't see this happening.

PL Assists

08/09: 3

07/08: 4

06/07: 6

05/06: 6

04/05: 2

03/04: 8

Somewhat of a mixed bag but good figures.

You can't slate the standard of his league. No matter what league you are in goals are goals! From the short clips I have seen of him he looks a very confident and accomplished player. His finishing is very good for a man of his size and his heading isn't to shoddy either.

We have to take chances on unproven players, it is the only way clubs like us can survive. We buy in players at a low price, they perform we sell them at a big profit.

Davies is a backwards move, not in terms of goals/assists, because he would score and create, but in terms of age and mindset. The club needs to take forward steps and that doesn't mean going for 30+ players. Youth policy!

Exciting Names?? We went through this before we got Sam, Laudrup etc big names, I am not into names, I hadnt heard much of Santa Cruz, Nelsen, Samba etc till they came to Rovers, names mean nothing except a greater expense to the club and not neccessarily successful, Janco, Zidic etc are untried at this level of football and the fees and wages could cripple us and we have a flop on our hands!! I'll give you some names, Martins, Duff, Owen, Beye, Loverkrands to name a few of the Newcastle relegation squad!!

However, having said all that, I do feel we need some youth and pace in the side!!

Oh, we hadnt heard of Pienaar either!!

I think you will see a fitter an quicker side next season anyway, whoever we sign, the scientific approach in training will prevent a repeat of the pathetic excuse for pre season preparations lasty year

I didn't quite mean it like that Kelbo. I know a name wont guarantee sucess. But if we sign a considered type of player who has got some recognised status for his achievements in the game then it would be more of a crowd pleaser. I'm all for plucking unknown quantities from obscurity and transforming them (ala Nelsen, Samba etc...). But Kevin Davies is not an example of this. He is an established pro who is not worth £5m at 32 years of age. He will not put bums on seats (although he will keep the existing bums on seats firmly rooted to them).

Not for a minute am i suggesting we sign someone on their fame status. And for the record, Newcastle didn't go down because they had a team full of big names. They went down because the club is rotten to the coar. The fans expectations are a HUGE burden to the staff and they have had little or no consistency. Are you suggesting Beye, Martins and Owen won't go on to be successful elsewhere?

And Pienaar? Yes i'd heard of him. And i don't for a minute think i'm in the minority.

PL Assists

08/09: 3

07/08: 4

06/07: 6

05/06: 6

04/05: 2

03/04: 8

Somewhat of a mixed bag but good figures.

You can't slate the standard of his league. No matter what league you are in goals are goals! From the short clips I have seen of him he looks a very confident and accomplished player. His finishing is very good for a man of his size and his heading isn't to shoddy either.

We have to take chances on unproven players, it is the only way clubs like us can survive. We buy in players at a low price, they perform we sell them at a big profit.

Davies is a backwards move, not in terms of goals/assists, because he would score and create, but in terms of age and mindset. The club needs to take forward steps and that doesn't mean going for 30+ players. Youth policy!

His assists are good.

If Janko was 23 or less I'd be with you but he's not and has really only come to the fore, last year. I'm not slating the austrian league, but its a big step to week in week out in the premierhsip. Corrado Grabbi was the last player we spent serious money who was a risk. Now he may not go that way he could score 20+, but its highly unlikely.

30 goals by the 8/12/08 in may 39, purple patch.

Straight choice Janko or Davies, I'd pick Davies everytime, hands down, because he's less of a risk and proven in the prem.

Signing young hopefuls is the way forward for our club but Janko doesn't fit the bill.

Guest benmaxwell
Straight choice Janko or Davies, I'd pick Davies everytime, hands down, because he's less of a risk and proven in the prem.

Signing young hopefuls is the way forward for our club but Janko doesn't fit the bill.

So you would rather pay £5m-£6m for Davies and 2 years then the same fee for Janko and 6 years? :blink:

I'd rather give Janko the chance personally, our squad is aged enough as it is!

I completely understand your reasoning Nicko and Davies will no doubt do a job for a couple of season's.

But surely we should have a mix up top with a big man (Davies/Di Santo) and somebody with pace to get in behind defences? For too long have we been one dimensional and our team is crying out for both pace and creativity.

I'd not be against Davies if we were to bring in some pace to compliment him, but if we're bringing in Mr X and Y already then I can't see this happening.

Run past him quickly and tell him he's a good player? :)

So you would rather pay £5m-£6m for Davies and 2 years then the same fee for Janko and 6 years? :blink:

I'd rather give Janko the chance personally, our squad is aged enough as it is!

We need to look at this relatively. Santa Cruz wasn't a proven goalscorer when he joined, otherwise we would never have signed him in his mid-20s for £3.5m. Considering the budget available at the time, it wasn't that much of a gamble. We should have a little more in the kitty this year, which means Janko could equate to the 'gamble' taken on Roque which has just netted us £15m for one good season.

If we're talking £6m+, then I would choose Janko over Davies every time.

Archived