BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His wages would cripple our wage structure seeing as he is currently on a big wage. Not to mention his asking price which would probably blow about 80% of our transfer budget.

I'm also not a 100% sure he would replicate his goalscoring form at Ewood either unless we spent on our midfield, and seeing as we would have no money left over to do that if we signed him, it is pretty self explanatory...

i agree with that better to spend the funds on 2 or 3 rather than crouch... however i like crouch and think he could do a good job for us but i would rather have 2 or 3 other good guys...

Guest benmaxwell
Allardyce will cause friction with his former employers with the controversial move for their skipper, and he will have to fork out around £5million for the experienced target man

But he is a big pal and admirer of Davies and sees him as the perfect player to take over from Santa Cruz

Absolutely crazy stuff, firstly, he wont only cause friction with his former employers, he will loose the vast majority of the respect from our fans, it has taken him time to build up.

Spending £5 million on a player of Davies age is nigh on suicidle. I'm just wondering a couple of things? How long can we expect to get out of Davies? 3 seasons? How long is Big Sam's contract at Rovers..? I'm starting to think he is going to make sure the club do alright for as long as he's here, but in about 3 years, if he does well, a better offer is bound to come in and then at that point, it wont matter what creek we are up without a paddle financially!?

As for the big pal quote, it's Ince/Robbie Fowler allover again. Yes i know Davies is better then Fowler at present, but their is no way a club run on our strict budget should be looking at players of Davies age. Having sell-on potential is the only thing that has kept our club going in the last while. Alan Shearer, Kevin Gallagher, Chris Sutton, Damien Duff, Craig Bellamy, David Bentley, Roque Santa Cruz... I hardly think that a team is going to want to spend top dollar on a mid thirties lump like Davies anytime in the future... Well apart from Big Sam apparently...

Also... Davies a replacement for Roque... This just shows our lack of ambition for the future... Davies has one good season, which it is highly unlikely he will replicate, and scores 12 goals... We are effectively replacing a possible 20 plus goals a season striker with a possible 10 plus (at a push) goals striker...

I will say it again, i would rather we spent the money it would cost to buy Davies in fee and wages, to bring in someone younger like Sturridge, yes he might not score as many goals, but at least he has genuine potential for more then 2 years...

Sickening.

I just had a really funny thought, you know when players sign they show them off at Ewood. Would anyone turn up fans wise? I bet it would be Sam, Kevin and the SkySports Camera crew only and i'm willing to bet they would only use it if it was a slow news day... :lol:

While my initial response is apprehension, I am reminded of when we bought Roberts rather than Heskey who we had been strongly linked with as an alternative.

At the time I was delighted we chose Roberts over Heskey - only for Heskey to turn in some fantastic performances and earn an England call-up.

I am not saying Heskey is better than Roberts, but rather that I was wrong to write Heskey off when I did.

While I am still not thrilled with the prospect of Davies, there is every possibility Sam would get the most out of him and prove me wrong.

If we are in the market for him, I really hope we don't spend a large chunk of money on him that I would rather see spent on the midfield first. Then again, is playing Davies in a midfield role Sam's intention?

Ouch.

Interesting reaction to say the least.

All I will say is that Kevin Davies is one of the most respected target men around. He is NOT the Kevin Davies who was not ready for it at any level when he signed for Rovers a decade back.

There is no doubt in my mind from my sources that Sam wants him as his number one target. I knew it three weeks ago but kept it back because Roque had to be on his way first.

It will cause a war with Bolton because he is THAT important to them...and under contract. That is why I have pitched £5 million as being the price it would take to get him - even at his age.

It won't happen if the bid is low - but Sam obviously thinks he has a chance. Because NO other striker [apart from the separate Di Santo move] is being pursued right now.

Guest Kamy100

Even if Sam wants Davies, there is no chance that Bolton will sell and more importantly I know for a fact that Davies hates our club and fans with a passion, he credits us with nearly ruining his career, can't see this one happening.

Ouch.

All I will say is that Kevin Davies is one of the most respected target men around. He is NOT the Kevin Davies who was not ready for it at any level when he signed for Rovers a decade back.

There is no doubt in my mind from my sources that Sam wants him as his number one target. I knew it three weeks ago but kept it back because Roque had to be on his way first.

It will cause a war with Bolton because he is THAT important to them...and under contract. That is why I have pitched £5 million as being the price it would take to get him - even at his age.

It won't happen if the bid is low - but Sam obviously thinks he has a chance. Because NO other striker [apart from the separate Di Santo move] is being pursued right now.

Well aren't you are ray of sunshine to us all today!!

No other targets?

I hope you're wrong. Oh i really hope you're wrong.

Please tell me you're wrong.

Guest benmaxwell
Ouch.

First, if Sam has no other targets, then we need to start looking for another manager. You yourself have said he has the money to spend, so why not get someone good, afterall, he has been scouting plenty of matches allover the world. Is Davies the best option he has found? Barmy!

Second, how much would we be willing to spend on Davies? Anything over £3 million, and surely John Williams would draw a line on it...

My main issue is Sam has actively been scouting, and if all they have reported back is Davies, then we obviously need a new scouting team as Davies is a poor poor aged choice, and we could do better for the money...

I'm sure i speak for the vast majority on here when i say, if Kevin Davies comes as Roque's replacement, next season, Rovers are going to be missing out on a hell of allot of ticket sales...

The club has the chance to really invest in this squad and move onto the next level (perhaps push for a Europa league spot) and they want to waste it on signing a 32 year old striker who will cost £5 million plus who had one decent goalscoring season.

Janko would probably cost £6 million he is younger has more of resale value and has some potential. Even Zigic who i am not that much of a fan of is a better option than Davies. Di Santo is a big lad as well and if we manage to get him on loan he could play that targetman role.

Its so blatantly obvious that there are better options out there, so why are we looking at Davies?

To me it says it all when our number one striking target when we lose an £18 million pound striker is Kevin Davies, our transfer budget must be nowhere near what you think. We sold Bentley didn't replace and paid the price almost, will we sell Roque and repeat the same mistakes again?...

if davies is to be our 1st choice striker next season, we will have our 1st choice striker playing allot more games - surely a good thing, all well and good having roque but pointless if hes always injured, really hope hes fit enough to get thru the city medical so were not stuck with another constantly injured player

IF THAT FAT LAZY DRUNKEN WORSE PLAYER PLAYS IN A ROVERS SHIRT EVER RE JOINS THEN IM TEMPTED TO JOIN WAGGY IN THE WAM AND GET MY SEASON TICKET MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!!

BAD ENOUGH WE PAID WHAT WE DID FOR HIM AND SELL HIM AT SUCH A LOSS AND THEN TO REPLACE CROQUE/DERBS/POSS GALLY WITH THIS FOULING DIRTY USELESS EXCUSE OF A PREM PLAYER BUGGERS BELIEF.WE MIGHT AS WELL BRING BACK BLAKE AND FRANDESN AND FERGUSON AND LUCASH.

Guest benmaxwell

We should be looking at the kind of investment in the future Everton are outlaying with this Roque money, instead we are going to squander it on aged players, hasbeens and players who have no potential for future prospect.

If this is how it's going to be. Today is a sad sad day for Rovers, as it will be the begining of the end of our top flight status come 2-3 years time.

Ouch.

If Davies was 26 and playing like he did last year I'd say go for it, trust Sam etc. But anything over £2m for a 32 year old is horrendous and I hope Sam gets knocked back and sees sense on that.

McCarthy, Roberts and Davies as our only three strikers is really depressing.

Even if Sam wants Davies, there is no chance that Bolton will sell and more importantly I know for a fact that Davies hates our club and fans with a passion, he credits us with nearly ruining his career, can't see this one happening.

It's hardly our faul he wasn't good enough :blink:

If Davies was 26 and playing like he did last year I'd say go for it, trust Sam etc. But anything over £2m for a 32 year old is horrendous and I hope Sam gets knocked back and sees sense on that.

McCarthy, Roberts and Davies as our only three strikers is really depressing.

I realise there is a lot of 'history' with this one, but just consider a couple of things.

Look at the other - similar - strikers who have been watched.

JANKO - is he worth the money? is he any good? what league does he play in again? why is he not a regular starter for Austria?

ZIGIC - how much? why have so many looked and not bid?

DZEKO - out of the price range and probably bound for bigger things.

Kevin Davies is as good as any target man in the Premier League. OK, the age is an issue and you would have to pay miles over the top.

But if your manager - who is no mug - rates him, then you have to back him.

I realise there is a lot of 'history' with this one, but just consider a couple of things.

Look at the other - similar - strikers who have been watched.

JANKO - is he worth the money? is he any good? what league does he play in again? why is he not a regular starter for Austria?

ZIGIC - how much? why have so many looked and not bid?

DZEKO - out of the price range and probably bound for bigger things.

Kevin Davies is as good as any target man in the Premier League. OK, the age is an issue and you would have to pay miles over the top.

But if your manager - who is no mug - rates him, then you have to back him.

I think most sensible types on here realise he would do a job in the formation we're likely to play. I personally have no issue with him coming back. People change and mature. He has certainly done that and he is a real handfull. But to make the best of a player like that he needs to have very good quality in and around him. If we're spending £5m on him (or thereabouts) we cannot add much else to the collective team. If he was free or dirt cheap then i'd take him in a heartbeat. But i can't believe we've got no more irons in the fire. That is just a really poor way to operate.

Archived