BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

Kevin Davies is as good as any target man in the Premier League.

ok , but where does di santo fit in here then ? isnt he a target man ?

i thought we were loaning him on the guarantee he played ? if we play him and davies up front , then there's no bloody need to spend any money on midfield , because obviously we wont be using midfield players , just lumping balls from our penalty area to the oposition's...........think i'll get a transfer on my season ticket to the upper tier, i'll see more of the ball!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I realise there is a lot of 'history' with this one, but just consider a couple of things.

Look at the other - similar - strikers who have been watched.

JANKO - is he worth the money? is he any good? what league does he play in again? why is he not a regular starter for Austria?

ZIGIC - how much? why have so many looked and not bid?

DZEKO - out of the price range and probably bound for bigger things.

Kevin Davies is as good as any target man in the Premier League. OK, the age is an issue and you would have to pay miles over the top.

But if your manager - who is no mug - rates him, then you have to back him.

It's not just the age of Davies that's a factor here, but the ages of McCarthy and Roberts - three first team strikers, all over 30 years old. Out goes the 23 year old Derbyshire, with no bright sparks in the youth setup waiting in the wings to push for a place.

We should be looking at the kind of investment in the future Everton are outlaying with this Roque money, instead we are going to squander it on aged players, hasbeens and players who have no potential for future prospect.

If this is how it's going to be. Today is a sad sad day for Rovers, as it will be the begining of the end of our top flight status come 2-3 years time.

Until we get some proper funding, then this is the market we are in. Short term loans, freebies and ageing players, all of which will be funding by the annual selling of our best player(s). Ironically, this is the price we pay for having the lowest season ticket prices in the league!

You are probably right about our league status - although today is not a sad day, that came some time ago. Targeting players like Kevin Davies et al is not the cause of our problems, it's one of the symptoms!

Here's hoping for a happy day in the near future.

Roberts, McCarthy, Davies, Di Santo.

If we had that plus one other striker then id be happy. However much people may hate Davies he is a very very useful player to have, i just dont want him to become our main striker. To be honest the more i think about it the more i reckon this may not be as bad a deal as some are making it out to be.

There's no doubting Kevin Davies has found his groove since he left Rovers and become a proficient, dogged target man. He would definitely do a job for us. However, £5m is hardly a sound investment for a 32 year old.

With the possibility of Di Santo coming in, we still need some variety up front. Preferably someone quick who doesn't play with their back to goal.

I realise there is a lot of 'history' with this one, but just consider a couple of things.

Look at the other - similar - strikers who have been watched.

JANKO - is he worth the money? is he any good? what league does he play in again? why is he not a regular starter for Austria?

ZIGIC - how much? why have so many looked and not bid?

DZEKO - out of the price range and probably bound for bigger things.

Kevin Davies is as good as any target man in the Premier League. OK, the age is an issue and you would have to pay miles over the top.

But if your manager - who is no mug - rates him, then you have to back him.

If Davies was free, then I would take him. 5 mill + high wages, no way John Williams and the board is going to sanction that. There would be no resell value and Rovers simply cannot afford deals like that.

What really bugs me is Allardyce supposedly is a progressive manager, and yet he'd willingly pay over the odds for a fading target man with a lot of bad history with this club.

Has he had all his childhood illnesses or will he get some more as soon as he enters Brockhall !

And Charlton are not in the Premiership any more so who is he going to score against ?

James Beattie in January..NO. Matty off for 2.6mn in June...then bloody Wimpy Davies back.

Lets play like Everton without any forwards...with Benny and 5 midfielders in a fluid combination.

Roberts, McCarthy, Davies, Di Santo.

If we had that plus one other striker then id be happy. However much people may hate Davies he is a very very useful player to have, i just dont want him to become our main striker. To be honest the more i think about it the more i reckon this may not be as bad a deal as some are making it out to be.

yup

it's a much better strikeforce than we had under allardyce last season given santa's injuries. i feel davies will be better than samba if we sign him, and di santo will be better than derbyshire. get one more in and we'll be sorted and will be able to concentrate on other areas.

people on this board annoy me, winds me up every time i log in. any link to any player, any bad individual or team performance, and transfer fee or lack of seems to be one of the horsemen of the apocalypse for two thirds of this lot. yet here we still are, in the premiership, about to enter into another season confident of safety. what more could you ask for given the clubs stature and finances?

ideally i'd like to pay no more than £3mil for davies though given his age, but proven (yeah i said it) strikers don't come cheap anymore

If Davies was free, then I would take him. 5 mill + high wages, no way John Williams and the board is going to sanction that. There would be no resell value and Rovers simply cannot afford deals like that.

What really bugs me is Allardyce supposedly is a progressive manager, and yet he'd willingly pay over the odds for a fading target man with a lot of bad history with this club.

had his best season last season.

he may well fade however he has yet to start

flippant comments like that are what keep moral low on this board

yup

it's a much better strikeforce than we had under allardyce last season given santa's injuries. i feel davies will be better than samba if we sign him, and di santo will be better than derbyshire. get one more in and we'll be sorted and will be able to concentrate on other areas.

people on this board annoy me, winds me up every time i log in. any link to any player, any bad individual or team performance, and transfer fee or lack of seems to be one of the horsemen of the apocalypse for two thirds of this lot. yet here we still are, in the premiership, about to enter into another season confident of safety. what more could you ask for given the clubs stature and finances?

ideally i'd like to pay no more than £3mil for davies though given his age, but proven (yeah i said it) strikers don't come cheap anymore

I know what you mean Braddock. But there does come a time when simply existing isn't enough. Don't get me wrong, i'm not particularly against this deal if the price was right. But with yet another big name leaving this summer, it would be nice to see a relatively exciting name. If all this is true then Davies will do a job for us. But it doesn't get the pulse racing does it?

yup

To be fair, Di Santo is unproven at PL level. So you can't really assume he'll fare better than Derbyshire. Not that I oppose the signing; just saying.

I can understand the hysterics, in a way. Davies failed spectacularly at Rovers, and although he has vastly improved since he is hardly a bargain for the money speculated. I think the fans would much prefer the money was spent on someone with some resale value down the line.

where has it been said he would be willing to pay over the odds ? He may have a price in mind that he values him at, and will not go above it for all that you know. Bit of an assumption that he is willing to pay too much for players just to get his man :-)

If he does sign for us I just hope people get off his back and let his football do the talking.

He works extremely hard as a player, i've watched him a lot it's difficult not to when I live in a house full of Bolton fans, his tackling for a front man is the best i've seen, he did a nice crunching tackle on someone last season right near the touchline I remember MOTD commenting on how good it was, he's probably one of the best all round players in the league, i can't really think of one forward player who can tackle like he can, he can play in different positions too which is always a bonus, he can play off the front man and his heading of the ball onto forward players is awesome, kinda what a goal poacher like McCarthy would love to play alongside if we got another decent finisher our attacking force would seem complete, I think he'd be used as a more attacking midfielder who plays off the front men he's not the ideal replacement "to fill Roque Santa Cruz''s boots" imo. I'm wondering if we buy two strikers Davies being one of them, where would Roberts fit into the equation.

What is the big deal with a player aged 32, ok he's no spring chicken but surely we'd get a good four years out of him I think if we offered £4 million for him Phil Gartside would be rubbing his hands he's only interested in the money, he's not interested in pleasing the supporters they all dislike him anyway, paying £4 million and getting 4 years out of him would mean over a £1 million spent on him a season, would it be worth it I actually think it would. He's a player who wants to play football maybe he wants the chance to prove all the Rovers fans wrong. If I was a good enough player I'd want to prove all my doubters wrong.

Absolutely terrible. No imagination. No ambition. Shows Allardyce can only fall back on what he knows. We'll overpay for a donkey who is effective in one system but offers little else. Can't believe it.

I was one of Davies's biggest critics when he played for you. Caned the poor chap on a regular basis.

However Davies has been outstanding at Bolton since he went there...a total revelation.

Why not compare the relative records of Davies and Roque last season? I wonder which one was worth more?

Compare him with Roberts or McCarthy too - and how many times he played with any of your current strikers.

This deal will only happen if the price is big - bigger than it should be - but the idea of Davies as a Roque replacement is very good.

I've seen plenty of him, dating back to when he was at Southampton and all through his career. He does a job, he was a good signing for Bolton, but he isn't worth paying 4-5 million for. HE IS 32. We will have to replace him within two years and he will have no sell-on value whatsoever. We have money to spend now and supposedly we are looking to bring in a bunch of 30 year olds so that we can generate no income from transfers in a few years and have no money to spend to replace them?

Just a terrible transfer. Santa Cruz for Kevin Davies? I was all for selling Santa Cruz, but we need to bring in someone who will be our BEST PLAYER to replace him. Not someone who can just do one job. Saying he is one of the best all round players in the league? Rubbish. He's a mediocre forward who uses his size to cause trouble and makes up for his lack of ability by working hard. Sound familiar? He's (possibly) a slighty better version of Jason Roberts. What would the reaction have been if Ince had tried to sign Davies?

I'm quite simply furious.

Archived