BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

I will ignore your ignorance, and make allowance for the fact that that you are obviously new to the site.

i might be relatively new to this site, but i`m not new to rovers messageboards. if you`d ever looked on roversmad you`d know that.

edit- well what do you expect then? peter crouch?(11-12m on 70,000 a week at pompey), zigic(9m on around 70,000 a week) or janko(must admit i did fancy his signing for us, but he`s after big wages and his club want around 8m)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's death by a thousand cuts guys! You'll realise Sam's evil plan when Rovers run out onto the pitch in white shirts and navy blue shorts. It's coming sooner than you think.

Be afraid - be very afraid.

;)

Can this really be true?

Nicko's article quotes £5m. Yet on the very same page Wolves are set to sign Nolan for £2m, Burnley looking at Adam Johnson for £2m and West Ham looking at Marc-Antoine Fortune for £2.5m. Any of these would be infinately better value than Mr Davies.

This does indeed indicate a potential flaw in the story. But only in so much as how Wolves have got Nolan's price so wrong. He's totally knackered. Best bit of business we did in many a long year flogging him to the barcodes.

I wouldn't like to see us sell Davies to you though. He's quality - still.

It's death by a thousand cuts guys! You'll realise Sam's evil plan when Rovers run out onto the pitch in white shirts and navy blue shorts. It's coming sooner than you think.

Be afraid - be very afraid.

;)

Morning Zulu.

I was just thinking the same thing. It's all part of a master plan to turn us into Blackburn Wanderers. :rolleyes:

A photoshop of Kevin Davies as he would look in Rovers new away shirt...

kevindavies_19768t.jpg

This does indeed indicate a potential flaw in the story. But only in so much as how Wolves have got Nolan's price so wrong. He's totally knackered. Best bit of business we did in many a long year flogging him to the barcodes.

I wouldn't like to see us sell Davies to you though. He's quality - still.

to be honest there is a fairly good chance that rovers are behind a lot of these links as a smokescreen. maybe that`s the way sam operates to throw the media off the scent of his real targets(i seem to remember sam`s bolton being linked with a lot of players too). only van heerden has been signed so far and significantly not one paper had the story prior to pen being put to paper and him being our player. i would back sam if he went for davies, but to me there is a chance that a bluff is being played here by the club to divert attention away from other targets we may be going for.

the reason for this theory? i`ve never in all my time as a fan seen rovers linked with such a wide ranging variety of players, and it`s what you`d hope for as a manager if you didn`t want the press to screw up a potential transfer for you by naming your targets accurately, leading to another club possibly gazumping you. i include the possibilty that the chelsea youngster`s loan signing is a possible smokescreen too that won`t actually materialise.

Just a thought here, on a messageboard such as this, it is very difficult for many of us to fully understand the others argument!!

Football is very much opinionated and sometimes messages and comments on these kind of boards can be misconstrued!

Without going into detail, I have found on this board, people who are really passionate about our club and our national game in general, initially, reading comments, ones opinion of the 'poster' would be totally different to what really is the case.

If you were in the pub,you could have a drink,have a discussion and put your point forward clearly, on here, not quite as easy.

We are all concerned about our club, we all have opinions of Kevin Davies, just as we have differing opinions of Keith Andrews, but only one opinion counts and that is the one of the manager!! He is paid to get results, is given a budget to spend on transfers and wages, do we know what that budget is??

Has he for instance, which he probably will, a list which reads as follows.

Dont forget, Mr Coyle just had a £1.4 million offer rejected for a 30 year old striker unproven at Premiership level!!

Striker 1 £x,000

Striker 2 £x,000

Midfield £x,000

Defence £x,000

If that is the case, we re unable to comment until the whole picture is complete, but remember, Sam did say he wanted to bring the age of the side down, add some vibrancy to the team but at the same time, he has to get players in who are capable of performing at premiership levels, Janko etc are expensive and untried, this could be a telling factor in his decision making and determined by what his budget is!!

Lets wait and see the bigger picture here, I do believe in Samas both a manager and coach, a good motivator and if you speak to the players, they all speak highly of him and his thinking!!

Kevin Davies coming back to Rovers is not a bad thing as long as he arrives for a decent fee and is not a replacement for RSC.

Davies has been one of the best in the premierleague of his type- leading the line by himself for years. I have many Bolton friends who have stated on a number of ocassions of his hardwork and unselfish play for the team. He can score goals and create them for others.

The issue is simple- he was dud all those years ago when we signed him for £7 million, understandable but then this is not the same player,Sam knows him well and I am willing to give him a chance.

Interestingly Glen Johnson was purchased for £6 million by Chelsea and sold for £2 million and now Chelsea have bid £17 million for his services just over 2 years later- times change, people change.

Kevin Davies coming back to Rovers is not a bad thing as long as he arrives for a decent fee and is not a replacement for RSC.

Davies has been one of the best in the premierleague of his type- leading the line by himself for years. I have many Bolton friends who have stated on a number of ocassions of his hardwork and unselfish play for the team. He can score goals and create them for others.

The issue is simple- he was dud all those years ago when we signed him for £7 million, understandable but then this is not the same player,Sam knows him well and I am willing to give him a chance.

Interestingly Glen Johnson was purchased for £6 million by Chelsea and sold for £2 million and now Chelsea have bid £17 million for his services just over 2 years later- times change, people change.

For the reasons in your second two sentences the fee won't be cheap, and I don't see how he could be viewed as anything but a replacement for Roque.

The other thing is, do you really Kevin Davies would want to return to Ewood? He must be haunted by flashbacks to this day!

Kelbo - good points you raise. Also in the pub setting, throwaway comments can be quickly clarified or laughed off. On a message board it can be poured over for weeks and brought up later. Can you imagine how popular you'd be if you were discussing football over a pint and you got out your dictaphone to record the conversation for future reference...! :blink:

perfect example with glen johnson there imy. davies has now proven himself with bolton as johnson has with pompey, and they are both now worth paying the money for.

satisfied if we can get him for around 5m and no more, he`s the ideal targetman for how we`ll be playing under sam, bet you wouldn`t be moaning if we were signing 34 yr old inzaghi from milan for 5m, would you? ............................

we should only have to pay around the 5m i`ve stated, freeing up around 15m to spend on the rest of the team where it`s much needed also....................

Satisfied? £5m? Not a chance would i be satisfied and not a chance we'll pay that much.

Inzaghi for £5m? I think i might have a wee moan about that.

£15m to spend on the rest of the side? Aftter we've forked out the £5m for Davies? Not a bloody chance on either front.

Every close season is the same. I don't know why we never learn. All this bloody hype about a generous transfer fund is nonsense. We won't have millions to spend. Sam said he expected about 5 new faces to come in this year. Two have arrived and nobody is impressed thus far. People seem to quote what Nicko says as being Gospel truth. As much as i appreciate his regular updates, he is only reporting what he hears. He isn't an employee of Blackburn Rovers. He isn't privy to boardroom discussion. Yes he is probably better informed than most. But it doesn't mean we should take his comments as 100% truth. Lets just see how things play out and try to keep the mass hysteria down to a minimum.

Satisfied? £5m? Not a chance would i be satisfied and not a chance we'll pay that much.

Inzaghi for £5m? I think i might have a wee moan about that.

£15m to spend on the rest of the side? Aftter we've forked out the £5m for Davies? Not a bloody chance on either front.

Every close season is the same. I don't know why we never learn. All this bloody hype about a generous transfer fund is nonsense. We won't have millions to spend. Sam said he expected about 5 new faces to come in this year. Two have arrived and nobody is impressed thus far. People seem to quote what Nicko says as being Gospel truth. As much as i appreciate his regular updates, he is only reporting what he hears. He isn't an employee of Blackburn Rovers. He isn't privy to boardroom discussion. Yes he is probably better informed than most. But it doesn't mean we should take his comments as 100% truth. Lets just see how things play out and try to keep the mass hysteria down to a minimum.

if you read the other thread that broke all this, you`ll see my other theory on all these recent links i.e. the club could be delibrately putting smokescreens out there to protect actual targets. non of these reporters picked up on the one signing we have definatly made so far, elrio van heerden.

I'll be seriously cheesed off if our outlay on strikers this summer (upon receiving £20+ on Roque, Matty and Zurab) is a couple of million spent on a 32 year old and a teenager on loan who has no Premeir League experience. This is such a good opportunity to strengthen the squad and ensure our place in the league for another couple of seasons, yet the board seem prepared to have us flirt with relegation again instead.

If our summer transfer activity amounts to: Zurab, Ooijer, Tugay, Mokoena, Roque and Matty out and Givet, Rothen, Elrio, Di Santo and Davies, then we'll struggle to stay in this league, I guarantee it. We're actually weakening the squad considerably.

I know it's very early in the summer, but we haven't actually been linked with even one half decent player yet.

• Backroom

Isn't Davies 32? What happened to lowering the squad age?

Unless it's for a fee of less than £2M this is disappointing. Even if it is under £2M we'll get 2 seasons at most out of him and then have to look for another replacement.

HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahaha

Thanks for the laugh, Nicko. Top joke, old boy! You won't catch me out, I know what date it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT? You mean it isn't April 1st?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Kevin Davis was a disgrace to the blue and white shirt. And what's all this?

The article mentions how he has never spoken out about why it didn't work out 1st time around. But i work with a guy who was very good friends with him during his spells at Southampton. He absolutely HATED his time with us. He said the atmosphere in the squad was the worst he had ever known and i got the distinct impression he apportioned a good deal of blame to the club for the lack of support he received.

I've read about it several times, usually when we are about to play Bolton. Exactly as the poster says, reckons he had a miserable time at Rovers and no support whatsoever from the club, poor lamb :rolleyes: .

Oh my. <_<

I just don't see it myself. Reading interviews with Davies about his time at Rovers it was clear that he was suffering from depression and took a terrible knock in confidence. Though he may be in a completely different place now, if I were him I would not want to be going back into an environment that could bring back bad memories and trigger it all off again.

My only hope ..... Mr Nixon obviously has contacts within the club - I only hope this is a red herring (arranged by Mr Nixon and the club) to cover up a far more impressive signing that will be revealed, in good time, as an exclusive by our resident journalist.

Please, please let it be so.

I'll be seriously cheesed off if our outlay on strikers this summer (upon receiving £20+ on Roque, Matty and Zurab) is a couple of million spent on a 32 year old and a teenager on loan who has no Premeir League experience. This is such a good opportunity to strengthen the squad and ensure our place in the league for another couple of seasons, yet the board seem prepared to have us flirt with relegation again instead.

If our summer transfer activity amounts to: Zurab, Ooijer, Tugay, Mokoena, Roque and Matty out and Givet, Rothen, Elrio, Di Santo and Davies, then we'll struggle to stay in this league, I guarantee it. We're actually weakening the squad considerably.

I know it's very early in the summer, but we haven't actually been linked with even one half decent player yet.

Totally agree. Rothen is poor. Davies can be effective but even if fit would probably not stay on the pitch at Rovers for more than half the games he started as he is without doubt one of the dirtiest players in the league and you can't get away with that at Rovers. We're talking fairly big fees for both of those in relation to their ages if the rumours are true. I haven't bought a season ticke yet, as I said and although when it comes down to the deadline, i probably will, if this gets much worse then I simply can't see the point, even at the enormously reduced prices, of those who have little allegiance to our club going out of their way to do so. I have had to swallow a lot I don't like as a Rovers fan recently and I've done it in the hope that, if we could just stay up and reach the summer relatively unscathed, things might look a bit brighter. They don't. They look like relagation from start to finish so far, if any of these tales are true. Because the next thing that will happen will be players who, so far, are perfectly willing to stay here will start looking at signings and questioning whether the club really matches anyone's ambitions, fans or players, and whether they might be better off moving on too.

I think it would advisable to wait and see who we sign, just because we are 'thinking' of signing someone does not mean we will be!

Nicko- what sort of fee are Bolton looking at for Davies and would he be willing to come back to the club that he feels gave him no support?

Totally agree. Rothen is poor. Davies can be effective but even if fit would probably not stay on the pitch at Rovers for more than half the games he started as he is without doubt one of the dirtiest players in the league and you can't get away with that at Rovers. We're talking fairly big fees for both of those in relation to their ages if the rumours are true. I haven't bought a season ticke yet, as I said and although when it comes down to the deadline, i probably will, if this gets much worse then I simply can't see the point, even at the enormously reduced prices, of those who have little allegiance to our club going out of their way to do so. I have had to swallow a lot I don't like as a Rovers fan recently and I've done it in the hope that, if we could just stay up and reach the summer relatively unscathed, things might look a bit brighter. They don't. They look like relagation from start to finish so far, if any of these tales are true. Because the next thing that will happen will be players who, so far, are perfectly willing to stay here will start looking at signings and questioning whether the club really matches anyone's ambitions, fans or players, and whether they might be better off moving on too.

I think you, and other people on the MB need to bear in mind - we have so far only bought a SA winger and had a confirmed link with a loan for a young striker at a top 4 club. This is, at this point, only speculation - in lots of cases put around by agents trying to get new contracts for their players.

Keep chilled - or it will be a very long summer :rover:

I can't believe some of us on here lets look at the facts we have to reduce the wage bill so Crouch yes the transfer fee we could afford but 70k a week hardly is reducing the wage bill,Zigic the same,Janko pretty similar also the last 2 coming from abroad is always a risk in terms of experience. Davies is the best of a bad lot and wages for a 32 yo would not be that excessive. But to offer 5m for him is wrong in terms of age. I don't think SA would offer more than 1m-2m tops the figure seems too excessive for an older player. I believe with the right coaching he could be a success things happen in the past but nothing to say he will let that alter his judgement of the player. I believe he will not be the replacement for RSC obviously with Di Santo coming in I reckon a speedier/pacy front man will emerge and I do believe a pacy winger will likely arrive those being the priority. I think he could be a useful signing.

Archived