BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

If the board decide not to back Big Sam and decide against buying Salgado, do you think Big Sam will just accept it considering our financial position or would he be very annoyed at the board?

Think the board are prompting big Sam to offload a few before we recruit a few, sensible practice would you not think.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ErinBrown

Can i bring a sense of reality to this discussion.

What have we lost:

- Matt Derbyshire, exciting, but was he ever going to excell at 'this' level? Probably not.

- Roque Santa Cruz, more injury prone then a lemming on steriods. Yes he had one good season. But statistically, looking at his past. Was he ever going to have another good season? Probably not. £18 million? Laughing all the way to the bank.

- Andre Ooijer, was he going to have a good season this term? Questionable? He struggled toward the end of last season. The time was right to go.

- Tugay, the master had a on-off season last term. It was the right time to say goodbye

- Paul Ince, Ray Mattius and Archie Knox. Well worth the 4 million to get rid. Should never have happened. Life goes on. We are still in the Premier League.

- Aaron Mokoena, not worth mentioning! ;)

- Loanies, should never be in the 1st team.

What have we gained:

- A first class manager and management team in Sam and his boys. Plus a brand new scouting network.

- A confident team that looking at the end of last term, had the quality for European fooball without the injury plagued players and newbies.

- Lars Jacobsen, a International RB for free!

- Gaël Givet, a World Class center back/left back

- Steven N'Zonzi, a World Class future midfielder i have no doubt!

- El Hadji Diouf, a quality Right Midfielder i have no doubt! For £1 million?!

- Elrio van Heerden, a quality Interational quality midfielder who can play anyway in midfield. Again for free!

- Nikola Kalinić, a potential World beater and only 21! Praised Internationally as the next big thing!

- David Hoilett, a very exciting pacey winger. Something we haven't had for ages to my recollection!

- Franco Di Santo, a tall pacey center forward with mass talent!

- Numerous acadamy signings who could become quality players in the future.

- A prospective world-class signing in Salgado on monday!

- The cheapest tickets our fans have seen in years. Plus the highest attendances at Ewood we have seen in years!

- Financial security. Not that can be said for about have the teams in our league!

- Edit, Numerous injury plagued stars nearing full fitness!

... and yet people are moaning on here about what we could have. Sam and JW have done a massive job this summer. Be glad and stop being gready. Look at it this way. Look at that sorry bunch down the road. Could be worse! :lol:

Nicko, is there any indication that the board think it's not necessary to provide any more fundings for the midfield? We have injuries there of course but, given that they'll all be back shortly, I'm wondering if the board don't see it as a necessity to provide the dough for this area.

On reflection, I am coming round to the idea that we should not buy/sign anyone for central midfield - we do not have any money regardless....

Sam likes a challenge and whilst it may be an impossible one, if he can get and keep Dunn/Reid/Emerton/Grella fit and firing on all cylinders then we have enough in that area.

Seems like Salgado will join early next week, and if that happens, it has been a decent window for us.

But being able to cross doesn't make him creative. Apparently the only thing Rothen can do is cross - not a bad thing, but I'd rather play Andrews and N'Zonzi in the centre of midfield over Rothen - what good is crossing in central midfield in the Premier League? OR I'd rather play Pedersen out on the left than Rothen. At least with Pedersen he can be awesome at set pieces and perform his defensive duties on the wing.

Tugay was creative. And that's the sort of player we need. Not Rothen (if push comes to shove).

P.S. We have no hope of signing another Tugay at the moment.

So a player who can cross a ball IE creat chances is not creative, crossing is one skill that generally doesn't go with age. Rothen is a winger so play him there ped's is good but doesn't excel at any of a normal wingers skills. Maybe ped's could play elsewhere? Given our two new strikers attributes I would have thought a man who can do this (and well) would be high on my list.

Do we need another defender/defensive minded midfielder??? No, But if I go into town to buy red car i get a red car not a blue one, we need a creative midfielder not a defender. All summer we've all wanted a creative player and the second a sparkly ex madrid player is available and willing to come we all change our minds and want that one.

PS with prices of today we'd need 10-15 million to replace tugay which isn't going to happen so we change and adapt and try something new.

Here's a snippet concerning the situation with Rothen that I found. It's an extract from a radion interview he did on French radio station RMC:

Sam Allardyce est très intéressé. Je suis en discussion avec les Rovers mais ils doivent d’abord finaliser un départ avant de faire une offre au PSG. Quant à moi, je n’ai pas encore donné de réponses, positive ou négative, aux Rovers.

Sam Allardyce is very interested. I'm in talks with the Rovers, but they have to firstly finalise the transfer of one of their players before making an offer to PSG. For the moment I have not given the Rovers a negative or positive response.

What have we lost:

- Matt Derbyshire, exciting, but was he ever going to excell at 'this' level? Probably not.

- Roque Santa Cruz, more injury prone then a lemming on steriods. Yes he had one good season. But statistically, looking at his past. Was he ever going to have another good season? Probably not. £18 million? Laughing all the way to the bank.

- Andre Ooijer, was he going to have a good season this term? Questionable? He struggled toward the end of last season. The time was right to go.

- Tugay, the master had a on-off season last term. It was the right time to say goodbye

- Paul Ince, Ray Mattius and Archie Knox. Well worth the 4 million to get rid. Should never have happened. Life goes on. We are still in the Premier League.

What have we gained:

- A first class manager and management team in Sam and his boys. Plus a brand new scouting network.

- A confident team that looking at the end of last term, had the quality for European fooball without the injury plagued players and newbies.

- Elrio van Heerden, a quality Interational quality midfielder who can play anyway in midfield. Again for free!

- Nikola Kalinić, a potential World beater and only 21! Praised Internationally as the next big thing!

- David Hoilett, a very exciting pacey winger. Something we haven't had for ages to my recollection!

- The cheapest tickets our fans have seen in years. Plus the highest attendances at Ewood we have seen in years!

- Financial security. Not that can be said for about have the teams in our league!

... and yet people are moaning on here about what we could have. Sam and JW have done a massive job this summer. Be glad and stop being gready. Look at it this way. Look at that sorry bunch down the road. Could be worse! :lol:

100% agree, Sam and JW have done a great job with limited resources, youth quality and experience = success

What have we lost:

What have we gained:

i have to say, reading that post(and i have moaned a bit myself), i think your right. things are vastly improved already under sam and his team from what they were last season.

let`s see how things pan out. it`s exciting and new anyway, and we`ve not had that feeling for a while supporting rovers now.

Have to say that if we sign Salgado I'll be well made up. As someone posted a little earlier, you don't play for Real Madrid for 10 years if you're no cop. The guy is class, or has been whenever I've seen him on the tele. Which is more than I can say for the rest of the signings this summer. I've never seen them play.

Oh and bring on Saturday!! Up and at 'em!

Take off the blue and white specs...

Sorry Eddie, a few of us are quite looking forward to going to Ewood on Saturday - full house and all that. Obviously that won't do. Let's try and be objective chaps eh?

Woah is me. We're skint. We can't compete. We're doomed. Hoofball. Bolton. Anti football. I'm going to watch us on the internet instead.

Bolloks to that. BRFCS.

Anyway, back to the thread. I've heard we're not signing any more midfielders, to go with the other 10 we have. What a joke.

i have to say, reading that post(and i have moaned a bit myself), i think your right. things are vastly improved already under sam and his team from what they were last season.

let`s see how things pan out. it`s exciting and new anyway, and we`ve not had that feeling for a while supporting rovers now.

You could always look back a year and remember how you felt about that particular summer. When we lost Freidal I had this immense feeling of dread.

Take off the blue and white specs...

And be a neutral?

I've been pretty impressed with the dealings sam has dones this summer, Im sure he'd have taken davies as he was his no 1 strike target at £5M if bolton were willing to sell, so things have worked out better than planned by getting an up and coming crotian star in Nikola Kalinic. What's impressed me about Sam has been his willingness to try a new approach, something new and inventive by going fron young and unproven players, such as Di Santo, Kalinic, N'zonzi and at the same time having the right blend off experience in the side such as the experinece of Givet and Jacobsen. Experince was what was required at the end of last season in order to retain our premiership status.

Finally, i would be extremly plesed if Salgado is done, and he was to be our last dealing this summer then we have to be pretty pleased with what sam has done this summer. Pretty much added quality all over the park. Im sure he would have liked another 1 or 2.

What have we lost:

What have we gained:

Nice one and if he can get the board to roll the dice and fork out for Salgado then he will be awesome. Big Sam plays the game well, nobody has challenged the money men in the past. All Incey did was have a whinge.

Living in Phuket for most of the year, I can tell you this the only player anyone knows in our current squad is Benni.

That is about to change, Salgado aint going to sell thousands of shirts but it is sure going to be nice to have a player as respected around the world as he is/was. So there will be at least one shirt out there with his name on it.

If he can hold the rest of the MF together for a season or two, then just maybe get us challenging for Europe again with the likes of Kalinic and a couple of the other youngsters, we may look back on this signing as a turning point to better days, then again it may be a big flop, but if you don't try you never win.

Let's face it, most think Grella is a flop so what have we to lose. we may even get to sell Grella. ;)

IMO he is worth the shot. What he will bring to the team and the youngsters is huge.

Guest ErinBrown

Hughesy (think it was you who took the picture) you do know that as the copywright owner of that picture of Michael Salgado, you can add it to his wikipedia page as his profile picture... That way, even if we don't sign him. He will always be linked to the mighty Rovers!! ;):lol::brfc:

Sorry Eddie, a few of us are quite looking forward to going to Ewood on Saturday - full house and all that. Obviously that won't do. Let's try and be objective chaps eh?

Woah is me. We're skint. We can't compete. We're doomed. Hoofball. Bolton. Anti football. I'm going to watch us on the internet instead.

Bolloks to that. BRFCS.

Anyway, back to the thread. I've heard we're not signing any more midfielders, to go with the other 10 we have. What a joke.

I was talking about people referring to Givet as a "world class" defender and N'Zonzi as a certain future world class midfielder. It's a joke.

I see your points but it seems that Big Sam disagrees with you. Rothen is not a priority apparently. Maybe Sam has seen him and not been overly enamoured. Maybe he values the additional things that Salgado brings with him - leadership, winning mentality, legendary status to boost other players' morale, etc. I just think he'd be a lot more worthwhile having around than Rothen. Our squad will have players who will WANT to play alongside Sally and would be eager to learn from him. Rothen, with all due respect, would just be another player at the club.

Did you also read that Rothen wants a long contract? I don't think we could take the risk of being lumbered with him for 4 years or so on high wages and no-one being prepared to take him off us. In the meantime Rothen can live out his career sat on the bench or in the reserves at Rovers on high wages. And I've subconsicously typed that last sentence on the back of me having no faith in him being an impact here!

In Big Sam I trust - but not Big Fat Sam ;)

The point I'm trying to make is that if we have money for him, then personally I would rather look at signing a player in a role we actually require. His wages will not be cheap so perhaps instead we could loan someone else for the attacking midfield role that we do need. It doesn't have to be Rothen but with the world cup coming up and not much movement in the market to date who's to say what players won't be desperate for a club towards the end of the window.

Salagdo's a great player and I'm sure his wife will miss being around her Uncle so much. According to what I've read on here Sam would have taken Negrado over Klaninic, sometimes patience is a virtue. Great signing yes but not if we don't sign a creative player for midfield as after that we're selling and I personally don't want to lose Warnock.

You could also take this into account - if Kalinic does become that good then he'll be off within a couple of seasons (sorry, can't help but think this),

Fantastic if we can do a Roque with him. He'll have scored 20 odd goals for us and make us 10mill! Whats wrong with that? Better than him staying for 2 years and no bugger wanting to buy him cos he's been crap and couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo isn't it?

I was talking about people referring to Givet as a "world class" defender and N'Zonzi as a certain future world class midfielder. It's a joke.

ok on nzonzi, nobody can say whether he`ll blossom or not. givet however IS a proven world class defender of quite a european vintage, and yet still is relatively young.

you take of your anti-rovers specs i`d suggest.., who better would you, or let`s be truthful, your choice of manager have signed?

Robbo looks even trimmer than he did at the end of last season. Good sign.

thats the only piece of business we can give ince a little bit of credit for, at the time every one ws moaning about letting friedal go, but he was 38 starting to crack a little, and we manager to get £2.5M for him and replace him with an England international, quality keeper no doubt approaching the age where goal keepers begin to peak, and has his best years ahead of him, and he's still ONLY 29, and he can only go one way which is up.

Fantastic if we can do a Roque with him. He'll have scored 20 odd goals for us and make us 10mill! Whats wrong with that? Better than him staying for 2 years and no bugger wanting to buy him cos he's been crap and couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo isn't it?

sounds like something they would do down the road!

:lol:

Well.. a bit happier today, curious on Rothens comments, wonder if Sam is lining up players in case Warnock goes, or if Gally might be finally on his way..

Kalinic cant wait to see.. shame he isnt 100% match fit, apparently was the focus of attacking play at split (not bad for a 21yr old, target men tend to be older for some reason).

Salgado if it happens I would be a happy chap, very tough player who plays with his heart and just a little skill, was always suprised he never came to england as its more of his kind of game imo.. as for being old he was Vice capt there, played 9 games last season (backup for one arguably the best right back in the world atm), featured in pre-season games this year and pyhsically is a tough guy/hard working player so will still be in good shape.

Rothen was never sure about.. but he did get 3 goals and 7 assists last season so not awful

Got to say from those training pics, Benni looked slim, Reid and Grella actually looked the part.. in fact all players looked as though they had improved their fitness (did Sam bring in a new fitness trainer or just a new regime?)..

Hell just role on the end of the transfer window, lets hope no one looses another left back before Sept 1st..

Would love to know what sam is thinking in regards to central mid, even his own comments highlighted that he felt that was somewhere he needed to improve.. but he didnt seem to chase anything, has he decided to have one of our existing players.. hmm

Archived