BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Hull

Shabani

• Backroom

That was probably me - that particular song wasn't really sung again by those behind me after I'd told them about it. Mind you they had a fair repertoire of other filth. If it had been clearly heard both my daughter and I were prepared to go to the police who were just below us. I work with Asian heritage kids and find that sort of rubbish especially disgusting.

Well done Gumboots it takes guts to stand up to these louts as you were no doubt opening yourself up to a torrent of abuse.

I wrote to the club after the Bolton game urging them to keep an open ear so we can stamp it out before the press pick up on it. It's hard for the club when it seems to be happening at away games though.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ye I kind of agree there, I wouldn't say they're idiots just ill-educated.

Prince Harry said "our little Paki friend" it doesn't necessarily mean he's racist and I can't exactly say he's stupid, he probably had a better education than most. It just proves how the majority of people don't really know or understand why 'Paki' is a racist term. They just think it's a shortened version of Pakistani. We only understand what we are shown and if we don't learn about it in schools and I didn't learn about it from my parents or grandparents, then people are not going to know about Britain's bitter racial history

Anyways back on topic, I know these 0-0 draws are boring but I'd rather be keeping clean sheets than shipping goals and making it difficult for ourselves going forward and pressing for a goal, if Sam can achieve a top 10 mid table finish in his first full season at Rovers, it's a job well done imo.

why is the word paki seen as racist?if you are from wales you are welsh,if from scotland you are a jock or a scot don,t hear them playing the race card please let me know

why is the word paki seen as racist?if you are from wales you are welsh,if from scotland you are a jock or a scot don,t hear them playing the race card please let me know

I know this is my point exactly, you need to read that article in my post.

Oh, don't open that can of worms again.

'Paki' is a racially charged word, which only has negative & discriminative connotations - in this country at least. There's no two ways about it.

Oh, don't open that can of worms again.

'Paki' is a racially charged word, which only has negative & discriminative connotations - in this country at least. There's no two ways about it.

WHY! to shorten a word is wot the english language is all about but for them we can,t or for anybody else for that matter,wot a load of crap

WHY! to shorten a word is wot the english language is all about but for them we can,t or for anybody else for that matter,wot a load of crap

Because it's not as simple as that, when the word itself has a history of being used as pejorative against Asian people in general.

If they find it racially offensive then that is what it is. At the end of the day it is their race and if they consider the word paki etc an insult then we should expect them to be offended when it is used. Therefore to use it - once we learn it offends them - is to be deliberatly offensive.

Because it's not as simple as that, when the word itself has a history of being used as pejorative against Asian people in general.

so has jock,taff,paddy and pommy and that has a history of being pejorative against the uk but if a asian said anything with them words would it be frowned upon as much i think not

We had this argument the other day but it is irrelivant if individual people dont think the word is a racist one. Generally it is regarded as being a racist term and we will be judged as such. A good 30-40% of the crowd were singing it the other day and it was heard in different parts of the ground. We have, in the past, been labelled as a racist club by a few people in the press (after Ince was sacked for example), if the song continues to gain momentum then it isn't going to be long until other pick up on it and frankly it is publicity we can do without. Why some people can't see it isn't ok for people to be singing that song is beyond me.

so has jock,taff,paddy and pommy and that has a history of being pejorative against the uk but if a asian said anything with them words would it be frowned upon as much i think not

I think it may go back to certain people not having a voice in society. The scottish etc have always been able to stand and speak up for themselves - whereas others - even if they have spoken out - have not been able too and if they have are ignored.

So if the word isn't offensive why does anyone use it in a chant about the manager of Burnley? Simple - because it's meant to be offensive. And embarrassing to be associated with.

And by the way there are plenty of Scots, Welsh and Irish who object to the words you used

We had this argument the other day but it is irrelivant if individual people dont think the word is a racist one. Generally it is regarded as being a racist term and we will be judged as such. A good 30-40% of the crowd were singing it the other day and it was heard in different parts of the ground. We have, in the past, been labelled as a racist club by a few people in the press (after Ince was sacked for example), if the song continues to gain momentum then it isn't going to be long until other pick up on it and frankly it is publicity we can do without. Why some people can't see it isn't ok for people to be singing that song is beyond me.

Wow. That is a LOT of people. If that's true then it's only a matter of time before we start to all get branded racists. Half a dozen could be described as mindless numpties but 40% of an away crowd is about 700 - 1000 people!! Were there really that many, Clare?

Hiya guys, as previously stated I have been a season ticket holder for the last 5 years and now have two children who also have season tickets.

Watching Rovers is a fantastic experience, I see the guys around me as friends with common interests (not just Rovers). And is a great day out with my boys!

My 7yr old lad has progressively become an obsessive Rovers fan so much so that he pesters me to get tickets for away games now! I did get tickets for the Bolton game, but unfortunatley I got to the ticket office just as the last ticket had been sold, so... me and my son sat in the bolton end to watch our beloved Rovers... Have any of you ever tried to control a mega enthusiastic 7yr old Rovers fanatic!! Exactly!! Anyway fortunately I kept him quiet with the help of a 'gag' and some rope to hold his arms down!

I have a dilemma, I am of asian origin and I genuineley want to take my sons to away games, experience different grounds and usually a fantastic away support; but after what I have read on this forum I really could not subject my boys to such a shambolic experience with some of the mindless fools that are present at the away games. Made me think, why is this more prevelant in away games?? Is it because they think they can get away with it??

I was a steward for a few years whilst I was at college 93-95 (good years to be a steward eh!) and we had a zero tolerance approach to racism.. Not sure what the policy is now, but clearly we need to stand up to these pillocks by reporting them to the local stewards and if it persists then the club need to act.

Some of the suggestions on here would surely help!

So if the word isn't offensive why does anyone use it in a chant about the manager of Burnley? Simple - because it's meant to be offensive. And embarrassing to be associated with.

And by the way there are plenty of Scots, Welsh and Irish who object to the words you used

C*nt is a derogatory term for a women but that doesn't seem to get a mention.

It is offensive and it's not nice but people are going on about it like the world's gonna end and it must be stopped or we are all going to die. ;)

Apologies for not taking this as seriously as others, I am not in the slightest bit arsed but that's just me.

clearly we need to stand up to these pillocks by reporting them to the local stewards and if it persists then the club need to act.

I think the best way is to ask these people to sing a song that is going to spur our team on, I feel I can't join in with some of the songs sung at away games, I can't sing it's full of t*ts f*nny and Rovers ;)

I must admit I was genuinely shocked at the chants I heard at Hull yesterday ... and even more worryingly the numbers of 'fans' joining in. What made it worse was seeing three Asian fans (2 men and a woman) sat just behind some of the main protagonists. WE HAVE GOT TO RID OUR CLUB OF THESE RACIST VERMIN ... AND SOON.

Hiya guys, as previously stated I have been a season ticket holder for the last 5 years and now have two children who also have season tickets.

Watching Rovers is a fantastic experience, I see the guys around me as friends with common interests (not just Rovers). And is a great day out with my boys!

My 7yr old lad has progressively become an obsessive Rovers fan so much so that he pesters me to get tickets for away games now! I did get tickets for the Bolton game, but unfortunatley I got to the ticket office just as the last ticket had been sold, so... me and my son sat in the bolton end to watch our beloved Rovers... Have any of you ever tried to control a mega enthusiastic 7yr old Rovers fanatic!! Exactly!! Anyway fortunately I kept him quiet with the help of a 'gag' and some rope to hold his arms down!

I have a dilemma, I am of asian origin and I genuineley want to take my sons to away games, experience different grounds and usually a fantastic away support; but after what I have read on this forum I really could not subject my boys to such a shambolic experience with some of the mindless fools that are present at the away games. Made me think, why is this more prevelant in away games?? Is it because they think they can get away with it??

I was a steward for a few years whilst I was at college 93-95 (good years to be a steward eh!) and we had a zero tolerance approach to racism.. Not sure what the policy is now, but clearly we need to stand up to these pillocks by reporting them to the local stewards and if it persists then the club need to act.

Sorry seem to have pressed the wrong key! What a very depressing thread and what a most unpleasant set of recent posts. I do hope that you Darwen Rover and your son continue to support the club. You are most welcome to post on here and your concerns about the atmosphere at football grounds need to be sent to the chairman asap. Rovers needs the support from all sections of the community and anything that harms that has got to be tackled head on.

Arran I don't think he waso n the bench, ot has been suggested around here that he may be on some sort of delayed paternity leave.

Cheers mate.

I think I read in one of Sam's programme notes that he checks up on players who have just had a baby, just to see if he's gettin enough sleep and that sort of thing, make sure their 100%

So it would kind of make sense that he's on paternity leave. cheers again :tu:

• Backroom

Cheers mate.

I think I read in one of Sam's programme notes that he checks up on players who have just had a baby, just to see if he's gettin enough sleep and that sort of thing, make sure their 100%

So it would kind of make sense that he's on paternity leave. cheers again :tu:

It wouldnt surprise me if the thinking was if he isn't starting he may as well stay home with the wife and baby, Salgado is on the bench so 2 right backs would be overkill.

Jacobsen for me already has done more than I expected him to in a Rovers shirt and one of our better performers in the first third of the season.

Does anybody know if he's finally commited a foul yet?

Archived