BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Hull

Shabani

We've stopped the away rot. We've lost only two at home since Sam arrived. We've just beaten Chelsea - and scored three - to progress to the semi final of the League Cup. We've reverted to 4-4-2 which is what everyone wants.........

There are glass half empty people and there are glass half full people...........

There's a guy on here I want to single out (I won't) but he and others are like the voice of doom.

Onward and upward. :brfc:

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its just the begining guys, do not press the panic button yet. it takes just a few months to ruin the squad(ince) and most likely take 1 or 2 seasons to undo the damages.

look on the bright side - just a season ago, players we have on the bench and field had a high average age and limited capabilities. now we have a young squad everybody crave for last season and a decent amount of capabl young personnels to be excited with. so lets not be greedy, 1 step at a time.

At least we are 5 points above the relegation zone, I think this season is going to boil down to the cups and a boring mid table battle.

The sad thing is we play Brum on Tuesday who are poor but I just can't see us going there and winning :(

If they are poor what's that make us, last time I looked they where 8th taking 14 points from there last 6, conceded only 4 goals at home.

We will need to score to come away with anything.

N'Zonzi has a 100% success rate for passes today :D from the stats I have available. He is just getting beter with every game, just needs to add a few goals.

Think it's beautifully ironic how we've stopped scoring since changing to 4-4-2.

Sorry to be pedantic but thought I'd point out (before anybody else does) that infact we have still been playing 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 as it's probably more accruate to say for the majority of the period. The only difference being we've had two strikers on the pitch rather than the one, with McCarthy playing the supporitng role behind the main striker.

We've only ever switched to a 4-4-2 towards the end of games or when there's been an injury (Dunny went off against Stoke we switched to 4-4-2).

We've had the most success infront of goal when there's been three forwards on the field, we scored three against Pompey in the second half with a strikeforce of Roberts, Di Santo and McCarthy and likewise against Chelsea in the Carling Cup we played the game with three strikers. Not that I'm suggesting we should play three strikers in every game.

We've had plenty of opportunties to score in the recent goaless affairs, it's been more down to bad finishing than anything to do with the formation. I find more irony in the fact that we've finally seemed to stop leaking goals at the back but now seem to have lost our touch infront of goal.

No away games are "gimmes" and, even against a Hull side minus Bullard, am fairly pleased with a draw. Could do with getting something at home to Spurs and maybe a point at Brum though.

Our current lack of goalscoring stems, partly, from the fact that we tend to lump it long toward Di Santo and, whereas before Dunn would have picked up the knock-downs, McCarthy's usually too far away from Franco to get the ball and so possession returns to the opposition, thus nulifying our ability to create chances. Today was very evident of that, compounded by the fact that the ball regularly just bounced off Di Santo. If we're going to play two up top, my vote is Kalinic and Di Santo with Dunn, when fit, replacing Grella - who is almost as anonymous as Andrews in many respects - in midfield.

Sorry to be pedantic but thought I'd point out (before anybody else does) that infact we have still been playing 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 as it's probably more accruate to say for the majority of the period. The only difference being we've had two strikers on the pitch rather than the one, with McCarthy playing the supporitng role behind the main striker.

We've only ever switched to a 4-4-2 towards the end of games or when there's been an injury (Dunny went off against Stoke we switched to 4-4-2).

We've had the most success infront of goal when there's been three forwards on the field, we scored three against Pompey in the second half with a strikeforce of Roberts, Di Santo and McCarthy and likewise against Chelsea in the Carling Cup we played the game with three strikers. Not that I'm suggesting we should play three strikers in every game.

We've had plenty of opportunties to score in the recent goaless affairs, it's been more down to bad finishing than anything to do with the formation. I find more irony in the fact that we've finally seemed to stop leaking goals at the back but now seem to have lost our touch infront of goal.

Can't believe you rose to that.

Notched up my first away game of the season today, and headed off for Hull in an optimistic mood. Got to ewood early and got a drink in Blues Bar - another first - where I was really impressed by the place. The coach ride was plain sailing too, not a bad journey just over 2 hours, and it was good having a chat with some rovers fans prior to the game on the concourse. In fact the only pre-match negative was that I'd forgotten how expensive it is to eat inside football grounds, although it was decent enough fare for a stadium.

The pre-match optimism continued when I saw the line up: 2 strikers on the pitch, Holliett starting on the left instead of the ineffective Diouf or Peds. And I was fully expecting a win.

Then the game kicked off. For some reason rovers didn't really play that well at all, and got sucked into playing hoof ball. Against some teams our areal prowess is a real asset, but Hull coped with it pretty well and matched like for like, meaning the ball was in the air far too much and rovers made little headway. When we did get the ball down, especially down the wings, we looked dangerous, although this was far too rare an occurance. Rovers did get a bit more into a scrappy game the last 20 minutes or so and had a couple of decent chances, but it's hard to be aggrieved with a draw. Hull had a fair few half chances themseleves, and really should have scored when Robbo excellently saved a one on one - with Fagan I think.

Some positives:

Dropping Diouf AND Peds and playing Holliett. It's a clear message that sub standard performances aren't accepted at ewood any more.

Robinson, nothing spectacular but did everything he had to do well, no mistakes and saved all of the many half chances Hull had. Also did very well with the one on one, my MOTM.

Aside from Samba's slip up for the one on one, the defence were resiliant and stood up to Hull well.

Kalinic - still a fair bit of work to do, but there's a heck of a lot of potential. When he get's that split second faster with his reactions, he'll do very well indeed.

Grella really tried to pass it around and keep the midfield ticking over. Some passes were wayward but the intent was there and he stepped up to the plate as midfield general.

Negatives:

Far too much ineffective long ball, especially the punts up towards Holliett. Lumping it forward to a guy half a foot smaller than the opposition back line is a bad idea.

Grella went off injured - again.

Emerton cut inside far too often. Why is it at rm he doesn't like getting to the byline? Shame as we looked dangerous when we whipped it in from out wide.

We lacked that creative presence to give us the final ball and carve out clear cut chances. It was a bad day at the office for Benni, and none of the others looked to have the creative guile to pass the balls into dangerous positions for our strikers/wingers.

Overall, a bit disappointed we didn't play as well as we have as late and thought we'd win, but can take some comfort in the clean sheet and another point on the board. If we're not winning games, we're not loosing them and are now hard to beat, which if nothing else should mean survival.

On a final note slightly off topic, it was interesting to see the Hull bid for being a world cup stadium. The marketing people did well to come up with 5 minute montage of footage showing Hull in a positive light - good PR work imo. Quite liked the music they played during that - anyone recognise it?

Notched up my first away game of the season today, and headed off for Hull in an optimistic mood. Got to ewood early and got a drink in Blues Bar - another first - where I was really impressed by the place. The coach ride was plain sailing too, not a bad journey just over 2 hours, and it was good having a chat with some rovers fans prior to the game on the concourse. In fact the only pre-match negative was that I'd forgotten how expensive it is to eat inside football grounds, although it was decent enough fare for a stadium.

The pre-match optimism continued when I saw the line up: 2 strikers on the pitch, Holliett starting on the left instead of the ineffective Diouf or Peds. And I was fully expecting a win.

Then the game kicked off. For some reason rovers didn't really play that well at all, and got sucked into playing hoof ball. Against some teams our areal prowess is a real asset, but Hull coped with it pretty well and matched like for like, meaning the ball was in the air far too much and rovers made little headway. When we did get the ball down, especially down the wings, we looked dangerous, although this was far too rare an occurance. Rovers did get a bit more into a scrappy game the last 20 minutes or so and had a couple of decent chances, but it's hard to be aggrieved with a draw. Hull had a fair few half chances themseleves, and really should have scored when Robbo excellently saved a one on one - with Fagan I think.

Some positives:

Dropping Diouf AND Peds and playing Holliett. It's a clear message that sub standard performances aren't accepted at ewood any more.

Robinson, nothing spectacular but did everything he had to do well, no mistakes and saved all of the many half chances Hull had. Also did very well with the one on one, my MOTM.

Aside from Samba's slip up for the one on one, the defence were resiliant and stood up to Hull well.

Kalinic - still a fair bit of work to do, but there's a heck of a lot of potential. When he get's that split second faster with his reactions, he'll do very well indeed.

Grella really tried to pass it around and keep the midfield ticking over. Some passes were wayward but the intent was there and he stepped up to the plate as midfield general.

Negatives:

Far too much ineffective long ball, especially the punts up towards Holliett. Lumping it forward to a guy half a foot smaller than the opposition back line is a bad idea.

Grella went off injured - again.

Emerton cut inside far too often. Why is it at rm he doesn't like getting to the byline? Shame as we looked dangerous when we whipped it in from out wide.

We lacked that creative presence to give us the final ball and carve out clear cut chances. It was a bad day at the office for Benni, and none of the others looked to have the creative guile to pass the balls into dangerous positions for our strikers/wingers.

Overall, a bit disappointed we didn't play as well as we have as late and thought we'd win, but can take some comfort in the clean sheet and another point on the board. If we're not winning games, we're not loosing them and are now hard to beat, which if nothing else should mean survival.

On a final note slightly off topic, it was interesting to see the Hull bid for being a world cup stadium. The marketing people did well to come up with 5 minute montage of footage showing Hull in a positive light - good PR work imo. Quite liked the music they played during that - anyone recognise it?

Here's the video;

My link

(can't you post embeded youtube vids?)

don't think it's the same tune though, think they changed the music?

I thought the game was very even - Rovers shaded the first half, with a good opening 20 mins.

Hoilett the best player on the pitch - he faded out in the 2nd half, McShane got to grips with him and Rovers faded at this point too - Hull City looked the better team 2nd half, other than the Kalinic chances. The Rovers backline seemed to struggle with Altidore and I was certain Samba had tripped him in the box (almost directly infront of me) after handballing it in the box only minutes earlier, so was a lucky fellow IMO.

Robinson had a great game, and has clearly got confidence back - it was nice to see him appreciate the support of his local team as well (he comes from Beverley nr.Hull) taking time out to applaud and wave at fans.

• Backroom

We've stopped the away rot. We've lost only two at home since Sam arrived. We've just beaten Chelsea - and scored three - to progress to the semi final of the League Cup. We've reverted to 4-4-2 which is what everyone wants.........

There are glass half empty people and there are glass half full people...........

There's a guy on here I want to single out (I won't) but he and others are like the voice of doom.

Onward and upward. :brfc:

I know you possibly mean me as I have been downbeat today but it's not like me, today just got me really down about football, a win was there for the taking and its disappointing when things don't work out.

Calmed down a bit now and trying to see the postives, if we could get Junior and Di Santo signed permanently and play them with Kalinic and Nzonzi I think a real buzz could return to the club. Some of the most exciting times I remember was when we had a young core of Duff, Dunn, Bent and Jansen to get back to something like that would be great.

For me the season would be a success if we can tie those players down and secure a mid table finish, the building blocks for the future would nearly all be in place.

Damn I was hoping we'd seen the back of that fiasco.

These idiots need reporting and banning.

TCO - I would say that if anything that chant is gaining popularity - its cringing, embarrassing and racist - and spewed out by the filth of Blackburn.

TCO - I would say that if anything that chant is gaining popularity - its cringing, embarrassing and racist - and spewed out by the filth of Blackburn.

It was indeed absolutely disgusting. A woman in front of me stood up and confronted some of the blokes behind me who were leading the singing but it still didn't stop them. I was preciously close to reporting them to stewards to be thrown out. It would deeply pain me to have to ask for fans purporting to be Rovers fans to be ejected but if I hear it again I will do.

It was indeed absolutely disgusting. A woman in front of me stood up and confronted some of the blokes behind me who were leading the singing but it still didn't stop them. I was preciously close to reporting them to stewards to be thrown out. It would deeply pain me to have to ask for fans purporting to be Rovers fans to be ejected but if I hear it again I will do.

Decent Rovers fans are right behind you there. Scum is scum no matter what team they support.

A draw was a fair result. Both sides created chances and both sides wasted the chances they created. Ultimately, neither side deserved to win as neither side was good enough in front of goal. Nonetheless, a clean sheet and another away point are both welcome.

What I didn't enjoy today was the behaviour of some of our supporters. There is a section of our support that continues to drag the good name of the club into the gutter. The Owen Coyle song just about sums up their mentality. Racism has no part in society but unfortunately, it continues to thrive within a section of our supporters. It is time that football got a grip of the situation. It's all very well the Premier League and the FA undertaking campaigns about 'Kick Racism Out' but unless the stewards and police are prepared to take action it's simply empty words. Today's antics from our so called supporters simply brought more embarrassment on the club.

I would hope that the club now go public and denounce the racist scum that we have amongst our supporters. If they ignore it they will find that the family atmosphere that they are trying to create will simply evaporate when parents opt not to subject their children to the openly racist chanting, that is now beginning to rear its ugly head, and turn their backs on the club.

There seemed quite a few idiots there today and the chanting at times was disgusting and I'm no prude.

In general every player played much as they have been doing. Hull battled well and played a bit of football in an end to end even game played at break neck speed. Both teams played better than they have been doing.

Rovers benefitted from Dioufs relegation to the bench, Hoilett far more effective and direct though he faded. His best game by far. Robinson pulled off 2 world class saves, one following poor refeering towards Di Santo who was fouled. The defence was excellent, chimbonda always there to help out Samba and Nelsen. Nzonzi gets better , and fitter. Di Santo had a great game creating chances for others and holding the ball up well. Benni had a great game and was bright and creative. Emerton gave a lot a wayward passes and givet struggled at times.

Grella I thought sat deep and allowed Hull to advance to easily. Andrews introduction stopped that. He pressed the ball and in the second half all Hulls attacks were ineffective. Grella is more suited to Italian Football. He limped off injured having had a reasonable game. Marny and Boatang being allowed to boss the midfield.

Kalinic isnt a great worker. Nor a finisher as he missed three opportunities. He seemed uanble to cope with his 3 left feet. Gangly and unbalanced always. Roberts heart was nit I. It as 4th choice striker. His 30 minutes passed by without much consequence, rather he buffooned himself a couple of times.

Robo 9

chimb 7

Admiral 7

Samba 8

Givet 6

Grella 6 Andrews 7

NZonzi 8

Emerton 5

Hoillet 6

di Santo 7, Roberts 2

Benni 7, kalinic 4

There seemed quite a few idiots there today and the chanting at times was disgusting and I'm no prude.

In general every player played much as they have been doing. Hull battled well and played a bit of football in an end to end even game played at break neck speed. Both teams played better than they have been doing.

Rovers benefitted from Dioufs relegation to the bench, Hoilett far more effective and direct though he faded. His best game by far. Robinson pulled off 2 world class saves, one following poor refeering towards Di Santo who was fouled. The defence was excellent, chimbonda always there to help out Samba and Nelsen. Nzonzi gets better , and fitter. Di Santo had a great game creating chances for others and holding the ball up well. Benni had a great game and was bright and creative. Emerton gave a lot a wayward passes and givet struggled at times.

Grella I thought sat deep and allowed Hull to advance to easily. Andrews introduction stopped that. He pressed the ball and in the second half all Hulls attacks were ineffective. Grella is more suited to Italian Football. He limped off injured having had a reasonable game. Marny and Boatang being allowed to boss the midfield.

Kalinic isnt a great worker. Nor a finisher as he missed three opportunities. He seemed uanble to cope with his 3 left feet. Gangly and unbalanced always. Roberts heart was nit I. It as 4th choice striker. His 30 minutes passed by without much consequence, rather he buffooned himself a couple of times.

Robo 9

chimb 7

Admiral 7

Samba 8

Givet 6

Grella 6 Andrews 7

NZonzi 8

Emerton 5

Hoillet 6

di Santo 7, Roberts 2

Benni 7, kalinic 4

I think we must have been at different games. A few Rovers players were below the level they have been playing at. I'll agree with you about Emerton, Grella and Andrews, but Samba was poor. Every time he had the ball all he could do was aimlessly hump it up field. Kalinic I thought was excellent and unlucky not to get on the score sheet as he undoubtedly will shortly. It was clearly a penalty against him but he made the mistake of carrying on and getting a shot away. Nelsen was Rovers' outstanding player by a country mile - never put a foot wrong.

I think we must have been at different games. A few Rovers players were below the level they have been playing at. I'll agree with you about Emerton, Grella and Andrews, but Samba was poor. Every time he had the ball all he could do was aimlessly hump it up field. Kalinic I thought was excellent and unlucky not to get on the score sheet as he undoubtedly will shortly. It was clearly a penalty against him but he made the mistake of carrying on and getting a shot away. Nelsen was Rovers' outstanding player by a country mile - never put a foot wrong.

Amen.

As for people moaning about not scoring and playing one up front, take a look at Fergie's team selection today, one up front with two strikers on the bench and failing to score at home.

Similar reaction to the Stoke game I think, but I'm not as fussed. It's good to keep another clean sheet, especially away from home and I think we're on the right track. Once again, I think the tactics were spot on, but our players continually fail to score. Not much we can do about it, as they are excellent players, but the finishing leaves a lot to be desired. All we can do is hope it improves in the next game...

4 clean sheets in 5 games, and most around us also picked up a point today.

Think Kalinic shouldnt of touched the ball when pulled back and we would of got the penalty - but the honest lad kept trying. Missed a couple of good chances, but so did Hull.

Not a bad result, an acceptable one, and again its another game without a loss. Same on Tuesday night would be acceptable, 3pts would be fantastic.

Also - what is this chant? Not heard it yet so cant comment on the 'scum'.

Archived