BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Hull

Shabani

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a dilemma, I am of asian origin and I genuineley want to take my sons to away games, experience different grounds and usually a fantastic away support; but after what I have read on this forum I really could not subject my boys to such a shambolic experience with some of the mindless fools that are present at the away games. Made me think, why is this more prevelant in away games?? Is it because they think they can get away with it??

and we had a zero tolerance approach to racism.. Not sure what the policy is now, but clearly we need to stand up to these pillocks by reporting them to the local stewards and if it persists then the club need to act.

Some of the suggestions on here would surely help!

Its not acceptable and it must be stamped out.

Dont let your support waver because of a few drunken Chavs who start bad songs - the club wont be happy with it and they will see all the discussion on this board about the topic in question.

Not read through this so I don't know if its been mentioned but I noticed in the Express that Phil Brown suggested that it's difficult to play against Blackburn's style of play!! Now I can just about tolerate this from the likes of Wenger but who tf does he think he and Hull City are? Even more so given that he and Allardyce formulated the Notlob team and style of the past 10 years or so.

Chuck enough mud eh?

Oh, don't open that can of worms again.

'Paki' is a racially charged word, which only has negative & discriminative connotations - in this country at least. There's no two ways about it.

WRONG! paki, ausi. In Cricket circles what the difference? BBC SPotY quoted ausi , time and time again in delight at getting one over on them, beating them etc.

Black people seem to be making moves to take back the term nig.

ger and spin it positively, why can't asians do the same to paki? Just a thought, then we can stop getting upset about a word

prob the wron g thread , thinking about it......

I can't believe this 'paki' argument is still going.

Pakistan is a relatively small area of Asia...are these dickheads who do the chants taking an educated guess that Asian people are from Pakistan? Are they ######, they're using it because of the racist connotations.

Black people seem to be making moves to take back the term nig. ger and spin it positively, why can't asians do the same to paki?

All Asians should adopt the term 'Paki' because mindless idiots have decided to use it as a racist insult?

I don't know even know where to start with that one, the ignorance is mind blowing.

In fact, you just contradicted the first part of your post. Should all white people adopt 'Ausi'? The sheer fact that you think all Asian people should call themselves 'Paki' shows it as absolutely nothing to do with the country of origin and everything to do with skin colour.

C*nt is a derogatory term for a women but that doesn't seem to get a mention.

It is offensive and it's not nice but people are going on about it like the world's gonna end and it must be stopped or we are all going to die. ;)

Apologies for not taking this as seriously as others, I am not in the slightest bit arsed but that's just me.

I do object to the use of the kind of foul language that is used by large sections of the crowd too but wouldn't dream of objecting unless I had kids sitting near me or something like that. Lots of men swear - I don't like it but I can live with it. However, racist chanting is something else. It is deliberately intended to cause offence to a minority and may even be illegal. It is something no right thinking person should be prepared to tolerate and to say we should not be taking it seriously is wrong. It tarnishes the name of the decent supporters who find racism in any form obnoxious. It tarnishes the name of the club we support and for many it is offensive to those we consider our friends.

I must admit I was genuinely shocked at the chants I heard at Hull yesterday ... and even more worryingly the numbers of 'fans' joining in. What made it worse was seeing three Asian fans (2 men and a woman) sat just behind some of the main protagonists. WE HAVE GOT TO RID OUR CLUB OF THESE RACIST VERMIN ... AND SOON.

Getting rid of these people simply isnt the solution, all your doing is moving the problem away to another area than the one you may find yourself in which isnt good for these lads or society in general.

Integration and understanding of one another has to be the way forward.

First step for me would be that any asian origin Rovers supporters are strategically placed in or around these supporters on a regular basis thus showing a high visibility to these people.

It wont change or stop these chants, but over a period of time the barriers will be broken down.

Back to the Hull game Ryan Nelsen did the thing hes been doing lately by attacking a ball and missing it leaving Samba exposed and the oposition free to score.

Bolton away when Jacobsen cleared off the line Nelsen over committed himself boy were we lucky.

Fulham away first goal Nelsen overcommits himself Duffer plays a lovely pass in behind Chimbonda -goal!

Fulhams third goal Nelsen overcommits himself again leaving poor Keef to defend in the box on a 1v1 -goal!

Hull, Nelsen overcommits himself gain this time Van Hesselink misses the simplest of chances.

How many more mistakes from the captain.

Now I know he didnt have the best game on saturday, but time and time again Samba is by far our best defender and is simply carrying Nelsen.

He gets away with far more mistakes from the fans simply because he is the captain!

We really should go with Givet at centre back and move Chimbo to left back and put Salgado or Jacobsen right back - but it's not going to happen especially when we've kept three clean sheets in a row. I just think if we went with that backline then we'd be so much better at attacking down the flanks with Salgado and Cimbo there and even better in the centre with Givet replacing the Admiral.

Hiya guys, as previously stated I have been a season ticket holder for the last 5 years and now have two children who also have season tickets.

Watching Rovers is a fantastic experience, I see the guys around me as friends with common interests (not just Rovers). And is a great day out with my boys!

My 7yr old lad has progressively become an obsessive Rovers fan so much so that he pesters me to get tickets for away games now! I did get tickets for the Bolton game, but unfortunatley I got to the ticket office just as the last ticket had been sold, so... me and my son sat in the bolton end to watch our beloved Rovers... Have any of you ever tried to control a mega enthusiastic 7yr old Rovers fanatic!! Exactly!! Anyway fortunately I kept him quiet with the help of a 'gag' and some rope to hold his arms down!

I have a dilemma, I am of asian origin and I genuineley want to take my sons to away games, experience different grounds and usually a fantastic away support; but after what I have read on this forum I really could not subject my boys to such a shambolic experience with some of the mindless fools that are present at the away games. Made me think, why is this more prevelant in away games?? Is it because they think they can get away with it??

I was a steward for a few years whilst I was at college 93-95 (good years to be a steward eh!) and we had a zero tolerance approach to racism.. Not sure what the policy is now, but clearly we need to stand up to these pillocks by reporting them to the local stewards and if it persists then the club need to act.

Some of the suggestions on here would surely help!

Basically, home stewards can only control home fans, to an extent. Away day followings usually start at the pub at 10AM, and carry straight through until early the next morning. Say we take 3000 away fans, a good 1500 will have been drinking the majority of the day in my experience. How many home fans will have been drinking all day out of 25k? Probably, about 1500. Now consider what would happen if stewards walked up to 1500 fans and told them to stop singing certain songs, it just wouldn't happen. A good example of this is the good old "Can you sit down please?" which stewards say to our fans at away games, which is usually followed by someone shouting "stand up, if you love Rovers" and 50+% of the away fans stand up. Away fans are usually policed by around 100 police, if Police went in all guns blazing there would be a huge brawl, which would look bad on the police because obviously at least innocent fan would get injured, which would be all over the tabloids the next day. Because of this, Police tend to video the away fans, however this is ridiculously hard to monitor and completely ineffective.

Basically, home stewards can only control home fans, to an extent. Away day followings usually start at the pub at 10AM, and carry straight through until early the next morning. Say we take 3000 away fans, a good 1500 will have been drinking the majority of the day in my experience. How many home fans will have been drinking all day out of 25k? Probably, about 1500. Now consider what would happen if stewards walked up to 1500 fans and told them to stop singing certain songs, it just wouldn't happen. A good example of this is the good old "Can you sit down please?" which stewards say to our fans at away games, which is usually followed by someone shouting "stand up, if you love Rovers" and 50+% of the away fans stand up. Away fans are usually policed by around 100 police, if Police went in all guns blazing there would be a huge brawl, which would look bad on the police because obviously at least innocent fan would get injured, which would be all over the tabloids the next day. Because of this, Police tend to video the away fans, however this is ridiculously hard to monitor and completely ineffective.

All spot on. I think the only solutions would be truly radical ones, such as making teams play behind closed doors should there be any more than 'x' number of incidents of racism (comments, or chants). But I would like to see much more of a vigilante attitude to racism, but people don't seem to want to do it.

If anyone is racist, report them to a steward. Chances are they'll have their seat and row noted and their season ticket terminated (that is from the delightful lass at the ticket office when I got away tickets at Wigan for me and the missus).

Now I know he didnt have the best game on saturday, but time and time again Samba is by far our best defender and is simply carrying Nelsen.

He gets away with far more mistakes from the fans simply because he is the captain!

The positives of Ryan Nelsen are he does get stuck in in a positive manner just like an All Black, its his speed and timing thats been his undoing on the odd occassion.

As blue blood points out maybe a stronger midfield would alleviate this problem to some extent.

The positives of Ryan Nelsen are he does get stuck in in a positive manner just like an All Black, its his speed and timing thats been his undoing on the odd occassion.

As blue blood points out maybe a stronger midfield would alleviate this problem to some extent.

He is only in the side because he is captain imo. I DO like him, but I'd prefer a defense (left to right) of:

Chimbo, Givet, Samba, Jacobsen.

With Nelsen benched. I don't know who I'd see as captain with Dunny injured. I don'tlike Goalies being captain either as they ar restricted as to where they can be on the field. My Captain would be Dunn with Emerton as his Vice-Captain. Nelsen is still JUST playing well, but the cracks are showing a little more persistantly now. I think we should start preparing, as he is declining in terms of his prime now isn't he? Isn't he 31, and I believe the general 'prime-time' for defenders is 28 (when we got him) to 32? (That makes imagining what Samba will be like rather frightening!)

We really should go with Givet at centre back and move Chimbo to left back and put Salgado or Jacobsen right back - but it's not going to happen especially when we've kept three clean sheets in a row. I just think if we went with that backline then we'd be so much better at attacking down the flanks with Salgado and Cimbo there and even better in the centre with Givet replacing the Admiral.

Agreed......the only way it would happen however is a bad injury to Nelsen.

I do object to the use of the kind of foul language that is used by large sections of the crowd too but wouldn't dream of objecting unless I had kids sitting near me or something like that. Lots of men swear - I don't like it but I can live with it. However, racist chanting is something else. It is deliberately intended to cause offence to a minority and may even be illegal. It is something no right thinking person should be prepared to tolerate and to say we should not be taking it seriously is wrong. It tarnishes the name of the decent supporters who find racism in any form obnoxious. It tarnishes the name of the club we support and for many it is offensive to those we consider our friends.

Is it though? Racism and Sexism: The Same Root

Are you forgetting Samba slipped and Hull almost scored?

Looks like Vinjay's got himself banned YET AGAIN!

Unbelievable.

Really. I did ask for the message implying that me Glenn and abbey were responsible to be removed. No need for abbey reaction mind though I can totally understand why he was annoyed.

The sheer fact that you think all Asian people should call themselves 'Paki' shows it as absolutely nothing to do with the country of origin and everything to do with skin colour.

I'm beggared if I know what skin colour asians are.

Skin colour doesnt accurately constitute the full facet of racism, it comes initially under the heading of colour prejudice doesn't it? :rock:

Nelsen has been absolutely superb in the past few games, I think our clean sheets are largely down to his improvement in defence and we definitely shouldn't be changing him at this point in time. He was poor earlier in the season, but definitely not now.

Archived