BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Vs Sunderland - Dec 28Th Preview (Well Sort Of...)

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about to break something.

We have a chance to win it right at the end, where it's easier to score than to miss, and once again frak it up. This hasn't just happened a few times this season, this seems to be happening time and time and time again without fail. The safest position for the ball to be for the opposition at the end of the game seems to be on their goaline, because we refuse to score no matter what happens.

I don't care who saved what, I don't care bad luck or not. Utterly fed up.

Di Santo and Kalinic showed in that last 10mins why they should be starting together. Both of them did so much more than Roberts did and were unlucky not to score. I really cannot believe how we didn't score a third. We should have won that game but no, we draw YET AGAIN!!!

MGP deserved MOTM, a very good performance from him once he got that very good goal. We looked so much better once we upped the tempo and went for it. We kept the ball down, got the ball wide, ran at them and created chances. Yet again it took us going behind to knock us into action, but I fear it will ever be thus under Allardyce.

Diouf, Kalinic and Di Santo did well when they came on. Special mention to Andrews, who I thought had a good game. Couple good shots (could have gone with his head for his best chance), but he also did a good job picking the ball up in front of our back four and played some nice passes. Hoilett and Benni did ok, but they suffered from the fact that they played when the team was just lumping balls forward. Roberts was useless. Won a few free kicks but gave the ball away and brought many attacks to an end.

Back four did OK, although it was terrible defending for their first goal. Robinson might have been able to do better when dealing with the ball in and maybe even could have saved the second, but neither can be blamed on him; made one very good safe to keep us in the game at 2-1.

Overall we got to see a first half of why everything was wrong and about 30 minutes looking at how good this current squad could be if they tried to play in the right way.

A game like today makes it plainly obvious that our problems aren't all down to a lack of quality, much of it is down to the instructions and team selection.

I know some people will say we were unlucky not to win with some of those chances near the end. However until the 52nd minute we didn't turn up, the football was absolutely dire with no attacking threat. We should have been going into this game looking to give Sunderland a real go, considering all their injuries and dire away form instead it took a Sunderland goal to wake up.

Kalinic and Di Santo showed more of an attacking threat in their cameos than Roberts did for the time he was on the pitch. Its time to play both of them.

We are still only 2 points from 10th position and would be there tonight if we had managed to score another goal. So not only are we not taking our chances on the pitch, we are not taking our chances to prosper in the league. Top half is being dangled in front of us but we are not reaching out and taking it. Saying that though, we are yet to win in 8 and not playing as well as we can but still close to the top half so that is not too bad. As you can tell, I am not looking down, only upwards. We are closer to the top half than the relegation zone so we need to start making the most of our opportunities

perderson had a twin brother or did sam allardye actually made 4 substitutions???? simply amazing stuff from him after 52mins.................... he scores, he defends, he makes amazing crosses and his free kicks actually hits the target....... magical.......

Although we came back twice from behind, I would certainly consider this points dropped. Sunderland were there for the taking, and if only for some clinical finishing and tighter defending we should have nicked it. The first half was a diabolical spectacle for fan and neutral alike, and it wasn't until we went 1-0 down that any urgency was inserted into our play. I also share Eddie's cynicism, because the long ball percentage game is clearly not working for our players. When we actually try to string passes together and get the ball out wide, things happen.

I'm also holding Robinson responsible for the second goal. Didn't get down quick enough, simple as that. But hey, he can boot the ball 70 yards on a regular basis, so that's all that matters!

Roberts showed why he's sub material, AT BEST. He tussles and wrestles but lacks any sort of quality needed at this level.

Both Nzonzi and Andrews were wasteful when presented with a shot at goal.

Pedersen picked up after his well-taken goal, which hopefully means he'll have a suitor in January.

Kalinic & Di Santo need a consistent run together, but you get the feeling Sam is picking names from a hat.

Archived