BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Vs Sunderland - Dec 28Th Preview (Well Sort Of...)

Just watching MOTD, Robbo was awful for the first goal, really poor goalkeeping

Edit - and for the second goal

i said that for the 2nd and got my head bitten off, that pass (by andrews i belive) shouldny of gone where it did, imo samba (im in the bbe btw so my view isnt as good as others) shouldnt of dived in like he did and robbo should of waited a little longer beofre moving off his line.

BUT football is a game of opinions

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well according to the manager the minimum requirement from the Wigan and Sunderland games was four points so after failing miserably to achieve that and with no wins in eight, (against generally mediocre opposition) I'm not too sure where we go after this.

How does it make no sense the forward line as misfired all season for us and if we stuck at 1 partnership for a number of games and it still didn't work no doubt you'd be 1 of the 1st on here calling the manager for not changing things. Either way most fans would never be happy so hes in a no win situation.

No, I'm fairly good, as I think most are on here, at realising that a side should be stuck with. If allardyce picks a team and gives it five games them At least we might see some consistency and a plan. As it is he looks more and more like aan out of ideas who is simply throwing things out there and hoping for the best.

Didn't see or hear the game today, I had problems of my own trying to find a target to hit in a cold New York after a few cups of tea.

What I do know is that the same strikers McCarthy Roberts and even Pedersen on the lef tare all capabale of scoring good goals, so whats happened. In a word Betnley. Whatever we think of him, he added three dimensions that all of our strikers are missing. Firstly regular diagonal pinpoint crosses that had our strikers lining up for good scoring chances.Secondly, driving runs from midfield that tied up defenders and left our front TWO open. Thirdly,from free kicks or just open play, he scored some cracking goals.

Until we get someone who can all of this to bring back that dimension and we play with proper wingers, our strikers whoever they are will be hunting for scraps in the desert.

For crying out take a reality check yes we were poor 1st half but the 2nd half was a massive improvement. We are playing at home and the boo boys are out is it any wonder they dont perform when 1 bad pass is heckled with howls of dirision heard all around the ground so obviously filters through to the team. Today we had over 22000 Rovers fans in the ground well to be honest i'd rather have 15000 who get behind the team and not the usual lot who boo at the 1st poor pass (usually saved for Keith Andrews). Maybe if you get behind the lads throughout the game and not follow sheep and boo and heckle at every opportunity then we go on to better things!! Allardyce out will never happen so go on Ewood and support him and the team he puts out!!

People who are believing that Rovers are in a decent position are I'm afraid are slightly deluding themselves. Footballing wise take David Dunn out of the equation and this team is the worst team I've seen in blue and white for over 30 years.

People point the finger at Andrews but if he was the only reason then we'd be able to carry him. The simple truth is that we don't seem to have one player who can play centre midfield effectively for one reason or another. People blame MGP but we were just as poor at Wigan and he was only a sub. People blame Roberts but poor as he is, no other forward has scored more. People say defensively we are sound but we concede similar goals week in week out.

Tactically we are so basic it is depressing to watch. Play for set pieces and then aim for Samba.

The only reason we are so high in the league is down to two things. Dunn staying fit for as long as he did and the fact that there several teams just as poor as Rovers.

Positives?

Yes: We showed we can fight. Pedersen showed he has added value, you can't change the fact that his goal was classy.

Negatives?

If we can't beat a under-strength Sunderland-side, we'll relegate, unless we get (BigBrandJohn is spot-on) another creative midfielder, as Dunny is far too injury-prone.

Dark clouds above Ewood. Me don't like Championship next season...

As for today - Nelsen at Fault AGAIN (3rd game in a row) for the crucial goal...........how many times should he get away with it?

Totally disagree with that one Hughesy. It was Samba who got the wrong side of Bent and then hadn't got the pace to do anything about it when Bent raced towards goal. I would also point the finger in the direction of the goalkeeper who I thought ought to have done better.

Robinson: Shouldn't have been 8 yards from his goal line when Bent shot. More like 16-18. Too easy.

Roberts: We might as well plant a tree. How can he be better than Di santo or Kalinic?

Andrews: Whenever he chests the ball it goes 10 feet into the air. EVERY TIME. That cost us a goal.

Allardyce: Has he given up on ever scoring from open play?

The last 8 games:

Fulham A

Stoke H

Liverpool H

Hull A

Birmingham A

Spurs H

Wigan A

Sunderland H

All games we should be looking to get a win in. Yet we haven't won any.

Three games still to come:

Burnley A

Portsmouth A

Wolves A

2 wins a must.

Re Nelsen and Samba being at fault.

It was actually Givet - for some reason the left back had gone on a diagonal run and was on the right hand side of the centre circle. Once the ball past Givet, Nelsen had half the Blackburn end to cover and he couldn't get as close to Samba as would have been ideal as there was 1/4 of the pitch totally exposed. Samba was trying to minimise the gap but wasn't successful.

But Givet can do no wrong, of course.

Totally disagree with that one Hughesy. It was Samba who got the wrong side of Bent and then hadn't got the pace to do anything about it when Bent raced towards goal. I would also point the finger in the direction of the goalkeeper who I thought ought to have done better.

I've watched it again. Samba was at fault to a point but you can't say much as it was a superbly taken goal and gave Robbo no chance. Saying he should have done better is like saying he should be 3 inches taller.

Re Nelsen and Samba being at fault.

It was actually Givet - for some reason the left back had gone on a diagonal run and was on the right hand side of the centre circle. Once the ball past Givet, Nelsen had half the Blackburn end to cover and he couldn't get as close to Samba as would have been ideal as there was 1/4 of the pitch totally exposed. Samba was trying to minimise the gap but wasn't successful.

But Givet can do no wrong, of course.

Sorry, Samba was dolly day dreaming and then had the chance to redeem himself at the other end when he missed an open net. Samba simply played like Bambi yesterday far too slack and casual.

Remember twice once in each half Samba and Nelsen going for the same ball causing panic in the Rovers defence.

Well according to the manager the minimum requirement from the Wigan and Sunderland games was four points so after failing miserably to achieve that and with no wins in eight, (against generally mediocre opposition) I'm not too sure where we go after this.

Just be thankfull we dont have a Beattie or a Tuncay playing for us up front as they both looked championship donkey players on MOTD last night.

People who are believing that Rovers are in a decent position are I'm afraid are slightly deluding themselves. Footballing wise take David Dunn out of the equation and this team is the worst team I've seen in blue and white for over 30 years.

The only reason we are so high in the league is down to two things. Dunn staying fit for as long as he did and the fact that there several teams just as poor as Rovers.

Ah that old chesnut of other teams being as poor...... :rolleyes:

Worst in 30 years? You cant of been too often then - Iv had a season ticket for about 16 years now and iv seen FAR worse teams - for instance the one that went down and had Ashley Ward upfront!!!

is like saying he should be 3 inches taller.

Thats what she said!

Watching Motd, Chimbonda was extremely poor and Samba was an out an out Donkey with Robbo yet again the invisible goalkeeper.

You mean you didn't go Jal? If you didn't go then you better not comment on less than 5 mins of edited highlights that were shown whilst Hansen and Lawrenson must have gone for a brew or similar. Like em or hate em but it appears BRFC are not worthy of comment anymore.

The first two player comments are way wrong but you have a point about Robinson. I may be suffering misty eyed nostagia but I was directly in line and yet again I was left feeling that Freidel would have been 60:40 to have saved Bent's second. Robinson was a country mile off and a decade too late anyway. He seems so slow at getting down low to either side imo. On the plus side his kicking is an excellent 'out' for us when we are under pressure .... even if clearing the lines by leathering the ball way past the halfway line is deemed abhorrent by some on here. :rolleyes:

Ah that old chesnut of other teams being as poor...... :rolleyes:

Worst in 30 years? You cant of been too often then - Iv had a season ticket for about 16 years now and iv seen FAR worse teams - for instance the one that went down and had Ashley Ward upfront!!!

Thats what she said!

At last, someone adding a dose of reality to this thread!

Yes, the first half was complete bobbins, however, I have seen countless similar first halves under several other managers including including recent ones such as Hughes, Souness, Ince and that prat that got us relegated, the only thing was, on most occassions there wasn't the 2nd half response we saw yesterday under them was there? At least Sam through on 3 subs in time to dig us out, and we should have won it.

Attractive? No, Worst for 30 years? Not a chance.

Are we going down? No, there are many teams as poor or worse than us, however, I do agree with those that have said that we must get something out of the next 3 away games!

If we can't beat a under-strength Sunderland-side, we'll relegate, unless we get (BigBrandJohn is spot-on) another creative midfielder, as Dunny is far too injury-prone.

Dark clouds above Ewood. Me don't like Championship next season...

We won't get relegated. Ladbrokes have Rovers 9-1 to get relegated. We're not very good, but luckily there are worse teams in this division.

You mean you didn't go Jal? If you didn't go then you better not comment on less than 5 mins of edited highlights that were shown whilst Hansen and Lawrenson must have gone for a brew of similar.

The first two player comments are way wrong but you have a point about Robinson. I may be suffering misty eyed nostagia but I was directly in line and yet again I was left feeling that Freidel would have been 60:40 to have saved Bent's second. Robinson was a country mile off and a decade too late anyway. He seems so slow at getting down low to either side imo. On the plus side his kicking is an excellent 'out' for us when we are under pressure .... even if clearing the lines by leathering the ball way past the halfway line is deemed abhorrent by some on here. :rolleyes:

Theno, Chimbonda made absolutely no attempt whatsoever to stop Sunderlands left sided midfielder from from putting the cross into the danger area for Sunderlands first goal. This action took place right infront of me. When you watch the video clip again watch Chimbonda and how slack he is, very poor.

There are about four or five moments when big Samba made a fool of himself and the team.

Robinson, well, thinking of starting a thread on his capabilities, he should spend more time on trying to stop the ball instead of kicking it upfield his only redeeming point.

We won't get relegated. Ladbrokes have Rovers 9-1 to get relegated. We're not very good, but luckily there are worse teams in this division.

Sign James Beattie and these odds would have to shorten.

Theno, Chimbonda made absolutely no attempt whatsoever to stop Sunderlands left sided midfielder from from putting the cross into the danger area for Sunderlands first goal. This action took place right infront of me. When you watch the video clip again watch Chimbonda and how slack he is, very poor.

There are about four or five moments when big Samba made a fool of himself and the team.

Robinson, well, thinking of starting a thread on his capabilities, he should spend more time on trying to stop the ball instead of kicking it upfield his only redeeming point.

There was also four or five moments where Samba put in some good challenges and carried the ball up field.

But I guess they didn't show that on MOTD.

One more thing, does Sam get cut so much slack because of the mess he inherited? Cos what I'm watching is unbelievably bad.

He needs to get some sympathy cos of the top 8 team that Hughes left the club decided to cash in and sell all the best players. What a difference Bentley, Freidel, Warnock and RSC** would have made yesterday. Any of the Anti Allardyce brigade care to argue that point?

For some reason when we develop a good player he leaves asap. Compare that to Everton who despite being as poor as churchmice continue to fight tooth and nail to keep their starmen at the club. I know Lescott and Rooney have left but it took a hell of a lot of money to get em, whereas if Hughes had discovered Arteta and Cahill the pair of em would have been long gone. Boro, Brum and even Bolton etc all seem to fight to retain their top players better than us.

I'm not against being a selling club it's a case of needs must nowadays but I've said time and again that we must have quality replacements in place first before we put the for sale signs up on our best. Hughes is the only manager in the past 50 years that has actually worked to that very simple rule.

** Even RSC sat injured in the stands would have been more effective than Jason Roberts!

Archived