BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Vs Sunderland - Dec 28Th Preview (Well Sort Of...)

And who would come on in this place, Salgado?

There was no other option and no need to replace a defensive midfielder! He used all three subs to freshen up the attack!

This, RIML, IS, when a good manager has all his options covered !

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This, RIML, IS, when a good manager has all his options covered !

I don't understand what you mean.

You said "A proper manager would have subbed him" what do you mean? Sam should have taken off a defensive midfielder and replaced him with a right back/defensive midfielder?

Conversely I'd say Big Sams poor team selection nearly lost us the game, seriously what has Roberts done recently to warrant a start?

Precisely. Plus he waited until the 70th minute to do anything after a dire first half.

His interview on sky after the game just depressed me. "We just have to try and get a lead and hold the opposition off for the rest of the game" or words to that effect and "Teams like us can't expect to score many". No positivity whatsoever! It did my head in Ince moaning about his lack of resources and Big Sam's now doing it perhaps even more. Of course it's not his fault that we've no money, but he would have known that when taking the job, so get bleddy on with it.

Guest Kamy100

First half was poor as I have seen at Ewood, long aimless punts upfield which Sunderland dealt with easily.

Second half was a little better but still desperate if I am being honest, we play no football, maybe this is because we have problems in central

midfield, namely that we lack someone who can pass the ball, it is soul destroying to watch. Like Paul I also felt that the crowd was going to turn on Sam big time at 1-0.

Sam won't be sacked, we can't afford it. I will continue to go and support my team but I am disillusioned by the so called football that we are playing, it is the same thing over and over, ugly to watch and recently has not been producing results, 5 points 24 tells it's own story, we played a Sunderland side missing 6 first team players and could not beat them.

• Backroom

If things don't change soon it may get uglier around Ewood, he seems fed up, the players seem fed up and now the fans seem fed up.

On a side note I would hope today is the last time Jason Roberts ever starts for this club.

Sorry, NZonzi in the first two minutes showed his lack of ability when the ball was laid off to him on the edge of their ,instead of shooting he decides to head it wide and run for it allowing the defender to clear - very poor.

Then a moment later someone plays the ball into his feet just inside the edge of their box instead of turning and being positive to attack the opposition he passes negatively backwards to one of their players.

A proper manager would have subbed him at this point - niavity of the highest order, except he falls into the mangers cave man tactics of being capable of heading the ball when it comes down from the skies.

You think Sam should have subbed him after two minutes and a moment?

Why waste time posting stuff like that?

I don't understand what you mean.

You said "A proper manager would have subbed him" what do you mean? Sam should have taken off a defensive midfielder and replaced him with a right back/defensive midfielder?

A proper manager wouldnt have blown his budget on THREE full backs, when he only needed TWO.

The left over part of his budget would have gone on a midfielder but then if you want to play launch the ball for the back to the front missing out the midfield then fair enough.

There are many Blackburners tonight very disallusioned with big Sams style of play.

A proper manager wouldnt have blown his budget on THREE full backs, when he only needed TWO.

The left over part of his budget would have gone on a midfielder but then if you want to play launch the ball for the back to the front missing out the midfield then fair enough.

There are many Blackburners tonight very disallusioned with big Sams style of play.

I watched West Ham play today and I'm watching Wolves now and Burnley the other day and couldn't help but notice how they try passing the ball out of danger, I'm glad we usually clear our lines, clear it anywhere up field, half the time the teams I've mentioned lose possession in their own half, I'd rather we hoof it up field than give it away cheaply in our own half.

Haven't read this thread yet and prob will leave it till later but we should have won this match and if we had started with two average premiership quality players taking the places of Roberts and Andrews we would have! I know injuries to 3 midfielders have hampered us in that dept but I've no idea why Roberts started. The pair of em are desperately sub standard and seeing them on the pitch must demoralise the other 9 before a ball has been kicked.

I walked into the ground, saw that Andrews, Pedersen and Roberts were starting and almost turned around and walked back to the car.

How people expect us to win games when Grella, Emerton and Dunn are injured is beyond me. We might nick a win here or there, but the midfield is so bad (and sadly I include Hoillet in that as he's a striker, not a winger) that other teams constantly boss games against us. A point against Sunderland at home isn't the end of the world. With a bit of investment/luck in the physio room we'll be ok.

I watched West Ham play today and I'm watching Wolves now and Burnley the other day and couldn't help but notice how they try passing the ball out of danger, I'm glad we usually clear our lines, clear it anywhere up field, half the time the teams I've mentioned lose possession in their own half, I'd rather we hoof it up field than give it away cheaply in our own half.

Thats your prerogative but for many Blackburners it isnt theirs they want to see Foot - Ball.

The empty seats today bore testement to this.

To be fair, Chimbonda is a very versatile right back. Chimbonda has to count as a success. And Salgado has not been the worst in the midfield. And while he has not exploded onto the scene, he has put in workmanlike performances, IMO. It could have been much worse.

I think Sam is thinking long term and going for versatility. He wants players who can be effective in more than one position. The squad will have to be cut down to 25 players. Assuming that you have 2 for every position (with 3 utility players), and that a good percentage of those 25 can play in one or more positions (either along the one of the sides, like Salgado on the right, or along a line, such as Chimbonda on defense), a manager could effectively have coverage 3 deep for every position even with a 25 man squad.

Having said all that, I agree our midfield is dreadful. We don't need more strikers (though getting shut of Roberts would be a good idea), we need a midfield that can supply the strikers, create chances, and be a threat in their own right. If it were up to me, I would get rid of them all, excepting Dunn, Emerton, Grella, N'Zonzi and Hoilett. Use their recent improved performance to move on MGP, EHD, and Andrews. Give away Van Heerden and Treacy. Surely Sam could find five competent midfielders if they were sold, reducing the wage bill?

I can understand why Sam picked Roberts. The Roberts/Benni partnership worked ok last season and he obviously felt comfortable with those two starting (safe option). Obviously he feels Kalinic is not ready yet and wanted to rest Di Santo.

I do think we could do without all the chopping and changing though in the team. He seems to rotate the front men most games now.

When missing our star man (Dunn), plus other regular starters in Emerton/Grella then its going to be a struggle I am afraid.

No, you simply can't chop and change your team that much. Consistency is important, especially when we need them to develop an understanding. If he gives Roberts-Benni a run for a while I'll understand, but it's more than likely that next game we'll see another combination. Makes no sense.

Deja vu from last year.2-2 at home (to City) and a draw at Sunderland (0-0) over the Christmas period with Roberts missing a sitter at the end with Samba doing the same today.

Dont think I`ve ever seen the full complememt of Rovers attacking options used in one game before.Benni,Roberts,Hoilett,Pedersen,Diouf,Kalinic and Di santo all appeared so it was possible to make comparisons. Excited by Di Santo and kalinic who were much more dangerous than Roberts and Mcarthy. Hoilett was weak;Diouf after the game claimed he asked to be dropped as he was tired a few weeks ago but did well today. pedersen scored a good goal with his RIGHT foot and that lifted his confidence.

My third observation is that I`m getting bored by our tactics in the first half of home games which appear to be playing at a slow tempo and not to concede a goal. In the second half we showed how dangerous we can be if we attack.

Finally the Riverside deserves praise for telling Pedersen to take a short throw to Chimbonda who put a great cross in for Diouf to score.

5 decent team in the prem, the rest rubbish. Any decent manager can finish top half on a limted budget. Today was dire and I have yet to see what Allardyce adds to the club. I can see how he is ruining the club and in my opinion and on balance he should be got rid of now the we can start afresh.

5 Robbo didn't make a save IIRC

5 Givet poor distribution

6 Nelsen solid and found a pass or two

6 Samba made a couple if errors

7 Chimbonda class good decision making maximum effort

4 Hoilet good bad ugly tries to beat 10 men poor decision making

4 Andrews Mike Reid... 'Runaround....... Now!'

7 Nzonzi couple of mistakes today carrying the midfield on his own

5 Pedersen no interest for 50minutes. Goal peppered him up a little

0 Roberts got near the ball twice before being subbed after 60mins

6 McCarthy held it up well and created space from tight spots. Not a striker anymore. Too fat. Might be quicker if someone puts gravy on the ball.

Subs

6 Kalinic improving, needs more games. Still has too many left feet and no balence.

6 Di Santo usual isolated and we don't support cud b a class act?

5 Diouf better performance but still talentless at this level

highlight of afternoon. The funny guy in the riverside giving the team some stick. He put on american accent on a Robbo freekick stood up and screamed go on boy get o in the endzone! FAF

So many eons ago I posted the problems with our midfield and this amazingly still hasnt changed and isnt looking likely in jan either, Tugay would still get a game in this team ( I would be playing him every week) we have no leader or influential player in this area.

Nzonzi is young and sometimes shines but isnt good enough.

Andrews is Andrews he tries but isnt good enough.

Grella is just another average player who is injury prone.

Emerton isnt a CM.

Today was a key point in showing weaknesses in CM area they were able to build up play through this area and start getting some moves flowing when we should have been dominating this game and when we have the ball our moves break down because we lack quality in this area, someone who can make an intelligent pass (nzonzi made some shockers today)

Sam has to play a huge part in this midfield fiasco with his bad signings apart from chimbonda and Nzonzi (for the future) none of the other players needed to be signed, midfield should have been adressed the minute Tugay left the club.

I feel if we sort this area we will score goals, we have enough choice of strikers that arent scoring goals but we know they can and kalinic has the hunger, how many times did andrews get into a good posistion today to create something? how many times did nzonzi have other options instead of the simple pass.

We lack flair and creativity and have done for some time, we cant keep surviving by selling our best players, we need some purse strings to loosen because our midfield is woefull and im amazed we have done so well this season with the inexperience and lack of quality we have.

5 decent team in the prem, the rest rubbish. Any decent manager can finish top half on a limted budget. Today was dire and I have yet to see what Allardyce adds to the club. I can see how he is ruining the club and in my opinion and on balence he should be got rid of now the we can start afresh.

5 Robbo didn't make a save IIRC

5 Givet poor distribution

6 Nelsen solid and found a pass or two

6 Samba made a couple if errors

7 Chimbonda class good decision making maximum effort

4 Hoilet good bad ugly fries to beat 10 men poor decision making

4 Andrews Mike Reid... 'Runaround....... Now!'

7 Nzonzi couple of mistakes today carrying the midfield on his own

5 Pedersen no interest for 50minutes. Goal pepper him up a little

0 Roberts got near the ball twice before being subbed after 60mins

6 McCarthy held it up well and created space from tight spots. Not a striker anymore. Too fat.

Subs

6 Kalinic improving, needs more games. Still has too many left feet and no balence.

6 Di Santo usual isolated and we don't support cud b a class act?

5 Diouf better performance but still talentless at this level

I thought Givet had a decent game.

I tend to agree with Sky Sport's Player Ratings they're usually spot on. Can't believe you give Jason Roberts 0 he worked hard and won free kicks, I personally thought he did more than McCarthy.

Paul Robinson - 7

Long kicks provided a useful weapon

Christopher Samba - 6

Should have scored to give Rovers the points

Ryan Nelsen - 6

Let Bent run in behind for second goal

Gael Givet - 7

Solid display from the Frenchman

Pascal Chimbonda - 7

Great cross for Diouf's leveller

Morten Gamst Pedersen - 8

Took his goal brilliantly

Keith Andrews - 7

Kept things ticking over in the midfield

Steven N'Zonzi - 6

Untidy performance from the giant midfielder

Jason Roberts - 7

Battled hard and caused problems

Benni McCarthy - 6

Subdued display, brought off

David Hoilett- 7

Lively down the right hand side

Thats your prerogative but for many Blackburners it isnt theirs they want to see Foot - Ball.

The empty seats today bore testement to this.

25600 and a Category A game?

He scored a very good goal and put in about 3/4 balls that could easily have lead to goals. What more do you want?

I thought Pedersen had a good game. After he'd scored his confidence visibly lifted. Why is he afraid to take defenders on-he showed today he can.

Thought our goals were decent quality today.

Nice finish from Pedersen. Surprised he had the confidence to take a defender on, he should try doing it more often. Also, public enemy number 2, Diouf, with a good header.

Not read any so far ,but that 1st half how bad was it..so the expert is two games away from expertly equalling the same winnless streak as ince....I watched chim ordered back instead of running down the wing.andrews and jr same.

.robbo punts aimlessly and we lose possesion...same with mgp throws....2 bad teams...I didn't boo I yawned..zzzzam is killing footy

I have stood up for Keith Andrews in the past but today's performance was one of the worst I ever had the displeasure of watching. Some of his past performances haven't been brilliant but not as bad as some have made out on here, but today everything he seemed to try to do just went wrong. Totally lost the ability to pass, tackle and control the ball especially in the second half. The first goal was a result of Andrews mis-control from a ball that a Premiership footballer should be able to get under control, Tugay would have controlled that with his eyes closed. Andrews however made a meal of it conceded a free-kick which ultimately went onto score after Chimbonda didn't do enough to stop the cross.

Pedersen equalized, largely thanks to a costly slip by Bardsley (I think it was) which allowed Morten into a dangerous area fair play to him though he actually took it round a player and got a strong enough shoot off. Two goals within the space of a minute or so of the second half. The first half was anything but entertaining the only notable event was Sunderland setting a new throw-in world record for the most throws within one half of football. The two quick goals really got the game going and Rovers always looked the most likely going forward. Pedersen was putting in some brilliant crosses, it's these glimpses of quality that make it all the more frustrating that's he's absolute pants the majority of the time, the first half was today being a prime example.

Then a long ball forward somehow allowed Bent to run in behind our defense and despite Samba making ground to get back, Bent finished brilliantly and showed the value of having a top quality striker in your side. Two sniffs of goal all game and two goals to his name.

Then Big Sam unleashed the subs, suprsied me that both strikers came off when we were chasing the game. Although I thought Di Santo and Kalinic both impressed when they came on. Roberts was poor once again and McCarthy showed nice touches again but never seemed to get the ball in dangerous positions. Diouf also came on for Hoilett. I was shocked that Andrews stayed on who was having a shocker, Nzonzi himself didn't have the best of games but he was basically running the midfield by himself with Andrews running around like a fairy. Diouf came on and got the goal, Big Sam will get all the praise of course.

On reflection we really should have taken all three points. Andrews miss summed his entire game, why the hell was he going with his foot when it was at a perfect heigh for a diving header I'll never know. Equally Samba had a golden chance to win, it close to the end, but it was more of a instinctive poke of the foot as it came back to him from across goal.

Overall happy with the second half performance, but I wish we'd turn up and show the same tempo and commitment in both halves. If it wasn't for the geniune class striker in Bent Sunderland would have been beaten easily in my opinion. Likewise if we had a half-decent central midfield partner for Nzonzi.

Abbey - Maybe not won for many games - but under Ince we conceded 3 at wigan in 20 mins - not this time. He has also taken us to 7 straight defeats - again not the case again.

13th at the moment - where the board budgetted for & in a Semi Final..........

As for today - Nelsen at Fault AGAIN (3rd game in a row) for the crucial goal...........how many times should he get away with it?

Gamst - Very well taken goal - looked a different player when he smashed that home

Hoilett - Weak today

Andrews & Roberts - both poor

Sunderland - Crap - 1 man team (Darren Bent)

2-1 down, 3 changes and a goal - some credit must be given!

Archived