BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Vs Sunderland - Dec 28Th Preview (Well Sort Of...)

I think we can cut Nzonzi some slack. He's a 21 year old pulled up from the French lower division, who was never intended to be first choice. He has scope for improvement, unlike Andrews who has surely peaked.

Well if he was never intended to be first choice that makes Allardyces summer transfer activity even worse, he signed one central midfielder who wasn't even intended to be first choice. N'zonzi reminds me of a crab he only goes sideways at best.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who was pulled up from the English lower division and was never intended to be first choice.

Glad you conveniently ignored my final point. ;)

Well if he was never intended to be first choice that makes Allardyces summer transfer activity even worse, he signed one central midfielder who wasn't even intended to be first choice. N'zonzi reminds me of a crab he only goes sideways at best.

Nzonzi was signed as a prospect, not a first-team starter. However, what with his bright start and injuries in midfield, he's become a regular. Just don't expect him to be a PL regular yet.

I will give my positives and negatives from yesterday.

Positives-

I believe the players are all pulling in the same direction I think there was plenty of effort on show and to come back twice (even though we shouldn't have let it happen) was pleasing.

I think in the majority the fans are behind the team, our attendances have stayed well above the 20k mark all season.

Kalinic and Di Santo showed they look dangerous when paired together.

Pedersen bagging a goal which will boast confidence which will hopefully mean improved performances in order to gain a new contract (here or elsewhere).

A quick throw for our 2nd goal showed we aren't actually robots taking the same throw over and over, well hopefully we will mix it up more often.

Sam was prepared to take off 3 players to mix it up abit, as I was not overly impressed with any of the 3 that went off.

Negatives-

Samba and Nelson played at times like they had never met each other before, going for the same ball, leaving men and not telling the other one, generally quite slack as a pairing.

Robinson, the guy doesn't make enough saves for me any "decent" chances for the opposition end up in the net. Looking at these stats

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/gamelog?id=7810&cc=5739 there have been a few games he has conceded more than he has saved in matches.

Chimbonda, I do like him but over the last few games he has got skinned very often with the attacker barely having to do anything.

Hoilett, not seen enough of him to suggest he is much better than pedersen/diouf yes he is fast but what he does after he runs fast hasn't really filled me with excitement.

Roberts, he really needs to learn how to jump, he stands static then expects a free kick when the defender wins the ball and clatters him. I believe he at his strongest as a late sub when he can dominate tired defenders.

Midfield, we really need somebody who will put their foot on the ball and look for a pass everybody looks petrified to make a mistake. As fans we should probably take some of the blame for that as we have hardly been the most forgiving when players have made a stray pass.

Yeah that's all you seem to do, in every post.

Why not spend a day posting the positives that you've seen. Do you even notice them?

Failing to beat Wigan and Sunderland doesnt have many positives except that a large Rovers crowd was present for both.

Thers lots of negatives for the manager to put right such as defending, shot stopping, scoring, and creating chances. All areas of the team need improving.

This was a game we desperately needed to win. Sunderland without eight first team choices were there for the taking. So what did Rovers do for the first sixty minutes of the match. They strolled around as if it was a pre season friendly. There wasn't a man in the side that didn't put the effort in but collectively it amounted to very little.

High Tempo was the phrase used to describe Tottenhams first half performance against West Ham on MOTD. It could rarely be used to describe any of Rover's performances this year. The management and players have got to increase the pace of the team effort for the remainder of the season or else some of our big defeats suffered against the top clubs are going to happen again in the not too distant future.

So Fulham Away (Possibly 1 of the most tricky away games in the league), an established top 4 side, a team on their best run since 1902 (including a 0-0 with Chelsea, a draw with Liverpool & a win at Stoke, and Spurs who are on fire - WE SHOULD BE BEATING?!?! :lol::lol: Yeak ok then! That is the exact sort of mentality that has brought the booing - we have no right to believe we SHOULD be beating them! :wstu:

Hughesy you said in the 'Match target thread' (or whatever it's called) that Sam had targeted to beat "Wigan, Hull, Stoke, Fulham and Brum".

ALL of which we haven't beaten during our 8 games.

Even you must admit that. Which is why things are not looking good right now.

Hughesy you said in the 'Match target thread' (or whatever it's called) that Sam had targeted to beat "Wigan, Hull, Stoke, Fulham and Brum".

ALL of which we haven't beaten during our 8 games.

Even you must admit that. Which is why things are not looking good right now.

I agree totally and I still stick to that - going off what Sam has said on the rovers website - I think he also feels we havent picked up some points we should of and that we are behind plan.

At the start of the season you would say - Fulham & Brum - but when we faced them, it was perhaps more difficult than expected at the start of the season - that said they would still of been targetted for success.

I also said pick up points/ bonus wins against other clubs - Sunderland, Villa, West Ham - which we have

And anything a bonus against - Big 4 + City - which we have taken 1 point so far.

I'm not having this 'anything against the big 4 is a bonus.'

Am I supposed to be happy that we drew with Liverpool at home? Or that we got slaughtered by teams who the likes of Wigan, Villa, Fulham etc have beaten?

Is it not a bonus then?! Do all the clubs outside of it EXPECT to win!? I think you would find 90% of managers would agree that 'Anything is a bonus'.

Who has 'slaughtered' us this season?

(n.

1 - The killing of animals especially for food.

2 - The killing of a large number of people; a massacre)

Guest Kamy100

I also said pick up points/ bonus wins against other clubs - Sunderland, Villa, West Ham - which we have

And anything a bonus against - Big 4 + City - which we have taken 1 point so far.

Agree that the points against Villa and Liverpool were bonuses for me as I fully expected to lose those games, however home draws against West Ham (relegation candidates), Sunderland (Missing 8 players) and Stoke are not bonus points, we should have been looking to win each of those games, you also have to take in the equation that the home matches in the second half of the season include the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal, that puts huge pressure on getting home results unless our away form picks up.

This was a game we desperately needed to win. Sunderland without eight first team choices were there for the taking. So what did Rovers do for the first sixty minutes of the match. They strolled around as if it was a pre season friendly. There wasn't a man in the side that didn't put the effort in but collectively it amounted to very little.

High Tempo was the phrase used to describe Tottenhams first half performance against West Ham on MOTD. It could rarely be used to describe any of Rover's performances this year. The management and players have got to increase the pace of the team effort for the remainder of the season or else some of our big defeats suffered against the top clubs are going to happen again in the not too distant future.

If I was going to make one criticism of Rovers over the past season or two is that we so rarely play at a high tempo and we almost never START at a high tempo. In football , especially at home, you need to go for the jugular right from the kick off. We usually allow teams to play themselves in.

(n.

Stop trying to be clever, you know exactly what he means. Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton to name a few.

A 'bonus win' includes those against Sunderland and West Ham at home now? Deary me!! These are exactly the teams we should be beating at home if we are to get anywhere this season.

Is it not a bonus then?! Do all the clubs outside of it EXPECT to win!? I think you would find 90% of managers would agree that 'Anything is a bonus'.

(n.

Are you a young child, or just thick?

Hughsey, you're a good supporter but you need to take some of your views on Andrews (usually correct) and direct them towards Sam from time to time. There are times when your blind faith is extremely admirable and times when it seems like you are a Rovers employee in ear-shot of JW!

Hughsey, you're a good supporter but you need to take some of your views on Andrews (usually correct) and direct them towards Sam from time to time. There are times when your blind faith is extremely admirable and times when it seems like you are a Rovers employee in ear-shot of JW!

I once thought he was. While I would NEVER discourage those who are optimistic (even overly so, like myself) there are times when it needs toning down. Like now. While I have every faith in Sam keeping us up, I'm slightly concerned as to whether we can actually progress. It appears we need Bert, Grella and Dunn all fit for that to happen..........

Well another disappointing result, we must get that break sooner or later it summed our bad luck up when Samba missed that last minute sitter!

Positive:

- A spirited come back on two occasions, and we nearly nicked it at the end. Just a shame we didnt start like we finished, a regular trait over the last few years (Hughes, Ince and Sam)

- Finally some goals in open play :rover:

- The return of Pederson, lets hope that goal gives him some confidence as we are badly missing his assists

- Sam finally changing his tune over "not putting our chances away" and finally admitting we are underperforming in todays press, about time some realisation crept in.

Negatives:

- The trend of chopping and changing the team continues and for me thats the main problem we have at the moment. I would rather the same 11 went out for a run of games (barring the obvious returns of Dunn, Emo and Grella) and see what they can do. Get Santo and Niko starting and stop fannying about with the wantaways!

- Paul Robinson, its only my opinion but I feel we have been let down by him this year. It seems you only have to get it on target to get a goal against us these days!

- Long Ball, this has crept into our play a lot in the last 5-6 games. I always thought Sam played the right balance at the start of the season but lately its 90% hoof and 10% football. I suppose this has to do with our ball playing midfielders being out (Dunn, Grella, Emo) but its still in-excusable and will only anger us fans. Especially when we look much better in the 10% we get it down and play it.

So the crucial Xmas period has been a big let down in terms of points, January and Feb must bring us 10-15 points to keep our heads above water

Ah that old chesnut of other teams being as poor...... :rolleyes:

Worst in 30 years? You cant of been too often then - Iv had a season ticket for about 16 years now and iv seen FAR worse teams - for instance the one that went down and had Ashley Ward upfront!!!

Thats what she said!

The team with Ashley Ward was in deed poor but the football then served up was more pleasing on the eye than that dross yesterday. Even Steve Bruce admitted that the first half was the worst he'd seen in his time in football.

Hand on heart time, can you say Ward was worse than Roberts - to me no different. The midfield of McAteer and Carsley worse than N'Zonzi and Andrews - Close but to me that midfield pairing is one of the worst I've seen. Pedersen or Wilcox well Wilcox wins again.

Tactically both sides were poor but at least the side of 10 years ago treid to play football.

What absolute garbage! The 80's were spent by BRFC in the 2nd div.

Also I'd wager this team would have finished in Europe in the 80's..... (even carrying the 2 passengers from yesterday Roberts and Andrews). The big media money injection over the past decade has seen Prem football move on so much through the introduction of foreign players from all over the world that 60% of players who plied their trade in the 1st Div 20 years ago would now find themselves no higher than Championship level. The other side of this coin is that the tough european opposition provided by the likes of Sparta and Dukle Prague, Anderlecht, CSKA Sofia, Gornik, Red Star etc etc has been diluted to the standard of for example Rotherham or PNE etc.

The team and performance yesterday would never qualify for Europe is any era. I'm not saying that the team from the beginning of the season is the worst I've seen just the team and tactics from yesterday was terrible. I'm probably over reacting but the two performances over Christmas has depressed me a great deal.

I will give my positives and negatives from yesterday.

Positives-

I believe the players are all pulling in the same direction I think there was plenty of effort on show and to come back twice (even though we shouldn't have let it happen) was pleasing.

I think in the majority the fans are behind the team, our attendances have stayed well above the 20k mark all season.

Kalinic and Di Santo showed they look dangerous when paired together.

Pedersen bagging a goal which will boast confidence which will hopefully mean improved performances in order to gain a new contract (here or elsewhere).

A quick throw for our 2nd goal showed we aren't actually robots taking the same throw over and over, well hopefully we will mix it up more often.

Sam was prepared to take off 3 players to mix it up abit, as I was not overly impressed with any of the 3 that went off.

Negatives-

Samba and Nelson played at times like they had never met each other before, going for the same ball, leaving men and not telling the other one, generally quite slack as a pairing.

Robinson, the guy doesn't make enough saves for me any "decent" chances for the opposition end up in the net. Looking at these stats

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/gamelog?id=7810&cc=5739 there have been a few games he has conceded more than he has saved in matches.

Chimbonda, I do like him but over the last few games he has got skinned very often with the attacker barely having to do anything.

Hoilett, not seen enough of him to suggest he is much better than pedersen/diouf yes he is fast but what he does after he runs fast hasn't really filled me with excitement.

Roberts, he really needs to learn how to jump, he stands static then expects a free kick when the defender wins the ball and clatters him. I believe he at his strongest as a late sub when he can dominate tired defenders.

Midfield, we really need somebody who will put their foot on the ball and look for a pass everybody looks petrified to make a mistake. As fans we should probably take some of the blame for that as we have hardly been the most forgiving when players have made a stray pass.

He scored a very good goal and put in about 3/4 balls that could easily have lead to goals. What more do you want?

Him to do that more than once every 3 seasons?

clear it anywhere up field

The problem we have is that those 5 words pretty much sum up Allardyce's entire tactical plan.

We're in desperate need of a scoring striker this January...

And someone to lay on the chances as well, no? We clearly can't rely on Dunn to play regularly for the second half of the season.

We could have Pele and Paolo Rossi up front, we still wouldn't score goals, 'cos there's no-one lining up chances for them.

We've brought in Kalinic and di Santo, one doesn't play and the other one doesn't score as yet. I think we need to focus on someone who can actually create chances in the quantities that would see either of those two score the goals we need.

We surely can't spend more transfer/ wage budget on strikers. Or maybe we'll buy a right back that can play up front?

Agree that the points against Villa and Liverpool were bonuses for me as I fully expected to lose those games, however home draws against West Ham (relegation candidates), Sunderland (Missing 8 players) and Stoke are not bonus points, we should have been looking to win each of those games

I agree we should be winning those games - however West Ham we just donts seem to ever beat. Im simply going off what I said was the target at the start....not saying 'I feel we should try to win' more a case of what I think we planned for.

A 'bonus win' includes those against Sunderland and West Ham at home now? Deary me!! These are exactly the teams we should be beating at home if we are to get anywhere this season.

As above - im simply talking targets and how the season will of been broken down

Are you a young child, or just thick?

Il let you decide.........Im 25 and clearly annoying you - maybe im neither! ;):lol:

Archived