BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ice Skating At Wigan

The DW is better when Wigan Rugby are playing and you can sit in your seat drinking a nice beer :)

I think that football in Wigan is always going to be a hard sell. For a long time a lot of people I know from round there supported a team such as Liverpool, Man U, even Rovers and classed Wigan as their second team because that is where they were from. Obviously they converted quite a lot of these when they first got promoted to the premiership but slowly the novelty is wearing off.

Cheers cn174, you did an excellent preview for the Wigan game by the way.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What caused us a bigger problem than the ice was the traffic light phasing at the bottom of Beech Hill (near all the garages). I often use a rat run from junction 26 through to Chorley if the M6 is heavy and know these lights well. We joined the queue on Beech Hill at 2.10pm and didn't reach the car parks till after 3.00pm, getting in the ground at 3.15pm. I assummed the problem was caused by traffic backing up in the car parks but it was simply the lights. Surely the police and Wigan could organise some form of priority before and after the game. It's not rocket science to manually override a set of lights.

First time visit to the jjb or DW as its now called, must say what a pleasant place it is to go and watch a game of football despite the icy conditions.

Wigan seems to have a bit of a negative image or low opinion when it comes to football, which is highly unfair, as they play decent football, have excellent facilities and fans that were or are good natured people.

Judging the low home crowds though, it would appear that their premiership status wont last forever and with this, think it would be a good strategic decision if Rovers were to form a stronger bond with Wigan and Wigan Athletic in order to widen the Blackburn Rovers brand.

I thought it was a shi*hole :unsure:

What caused us a bigger problem than the ice was the traffic light phasing at the bottom of Beech Hill (near all the garages). I often use a rat run from junction 26 through to Chorley if the M6 is heavy and know these lights well. We joined the queue on Beech Hill at 2.10pm and didn't reach the car parks till after 3.00pm, getting in the ground at 3.15pm. I assummed the problem was caused by traffic backing up in the car parks but it was simply the lights. Surely the police and Wigan could organise some form of priority before and after the game. It's not rocket science to manually override a set of lights.

We were about 10 minutes ahead of you Paul and just missed the kick-off. I came that way as last year I came through Shevington and Standish Lower Ground, where you turn right at the same set of lights and it was even worse. I can only assume that there must be some priority on the route from the town centre. You're right that a policeman on those lights for an hour would greatly improve the problem.

we should ban away travel to liverpool all together, its even more dangerous than a cold day at wigan :!:

JonV, I gather from your tag you are in a sunnier and warmer place.

The complaint is about Wigan, not Rovers. Personally, even though I bought 4 tickets and was at the game (were you?) the ice on the car park was the worst I have EVER seen at a game and if the game had been postponed to protect people from injury then it would have been acceptable.

As for your puerile comments infering that all we do is moan on this forum can I suggest you do one and find a happier place.

The DW is better when Wigan Rugby are playing and you can sit in your seat drinking a nice beer :)

I think that football in Wigan is always going to be a hard sell. For a long time a lot of people I know from round there supported a team such as Liverpool, Man U, even Rovers and classed Wigan as their second team because that is where they were from. Obviously they converted quite a lot of these when they first got promoted to the premiership but slowly the novelty is wearing off.

How do you get to take a beer outside ? I watch Rochdale Hornets at Spotland and there's no way the stewards will let you take a beer outside. Real glass or plastic glass it's all the same , it's a no/no.

JonV, I gather from your tag you are in a sunnier and warmer place.

The complaint is about Wigan, not Rovers. Personally, even though I bought 4 tickets and was at the game (were you?) the ice on the car park was the worst I have EVER seen at a game and if the game had been postponed to protect people from injury then it would have been acceptable.

As for your puerile comments infering that all we do is moan on this forum can I suggest you do one and find a happier place.

i) Sunset-Beach.jpg

ii) I haven't read any reports on injuries occurring. Maybe the authorities should cancel football matches every time the mercury goes below 5 degrees, in case people catch a cold. People shouldn't leave there homes in fact, it's far too dangerous in the real world!!!!!!!

iii) I enjoy reading the thoughts and views that are offered by the array of rovers fans that contribute to this forum. I also enjoy voicing my opinion, however far away it maybe.

One of our lads went down and suffered concusion after banging his head on the ice. We went down trying to get him upright and at one point I had to crawl on all fours just to get myself off the road and onto the pavement.

ii) I haven't read any reports on injuries occurring.

Earlier in the thread.

Saw people struggling to stay upright on the sidewalks past the shops, much less near the ground where the entire carpark was a giant sheet of ice (we were in the small one near the entrance).

Makes you wonder how Eskimo's get anything done.

"Umm, It's icy again today, I'm staying in the igloo, I might slip out there"

I'm talking about injuries that would warrant a football match to be postponed :rock:

any kind of injury to a supporter is a injury worth posponing a football match for. hell those pros are covered by the health and safety act, and so are the supporters. that match should never gone ahead with the pavements and car parks in the condition they where, i actually spotted several ambulances before and after the game due to people slipping on the ice, and to say wigan spent a 5 figure sum to clear it all the ice, pfft a 5 figure op pennies more like it

Sorry, but that comment is just plain daft... <_<

Yep. That car park and the roads around the stadium had not been dealt with at all. It's all well and good for people who didn't go and can't have seen the state of it and think we're moaning. It was genuinely unsafe and Wigan had supposedly spent a 5 figure sum sorting it out. It was icy and rain was falling which made it very slippery. I watched a Mercedes Benz trying to make his way off the car park, rear wheels spinning in place and the front wheels locked up, he was making very little progress no matter what he tried. 5 figure sum? £100.01

Anything that keeps lazy old boys (supposedly) incapable standing up to let people past and thier sleeping bags away from the ground is OK by me. You will be pleased to know a miracle occured sometime during the second half as his legs were working at full time!

Sleeping bag at an away day.... only on boxing day!

The Hazard that was - Wigan Away

Running the risk of falling on 100m of ice to get to the ground, having to climb over seats to get a half time pee (see above) but only after been pushed, crushed and generally hearded in conditions that would have your average farm animal writing to thier MP's.

I'm amazed I made it out alive, particulary given the hysteria on here... I'll be even more surprised if grandpa did.

How do you get to take a beer outside ? I watch Rochdale Hornets at Spotland and there's no way the stewards will let you take a beer outside. Real glass or plastic glass it's all the same , it's a no/no.

The laws that prohibit drinking alcohol within view of the pitch don't apply in Rugby.

At Wigan you can take a beer back to your seat and drink it while the game is being played.

The laws that prohibit drinking alcohol within view of the pitch don't apply in Rugby.

At Wigan you can take a beer back to your seat and drink it while the game is being played.

The only time I've not been allowed to take beer to the seat at rugby was at the grand final at Old Trafford. Mard buggers!

Archived