BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll Time - Rovers 12 Months Under Big Sam

Guest Kamy100

450 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the direction that the club is heading under the management of Sam Allardyce 12 months on?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure Either Way At The Moment

No of course not Den and that's the whole reason we discuss these things on a messageboard.

Last year we had the luxury of a number of home games against 'lesser' opposition. This year we don't and I'm concerned about it. Simple

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point I was making (and only Philip seemed to understand) is we are relying on our home form to pick up points, but we still have to play the top 3 teams at home who we've failed to beat for God knows how long.

And saying our away form might pick up is a bit like saying Sam might change his tactics or Dunny will stay fit for the remainder of the season. It's unlikely!

No, I understand as well. Which is why I've been saying fro sometime we need to pick up at least 12 points between now and end February which MUST include beating Hull, Bolton and Wigan at home.....but don't worry everyone says it's going to be OK.

No, I understand as well. Which is why I've been saying fro sometime we need to pick up at least 12 points between now and end February which MUST include beating Hull, Bolton and Wigan at home.....but don't worry everyone says it's going to be OK.

Well maybe people are getting sick of all the whining, moaning and woe-is-me stuff? Can you tell me exactly what goin over all the negative possibilities time and again achieves? It seems to be flooding this messageboard.

Yes...we might well be in trouble in a few months. Or we might be alright. Is it worth fretting over? We are a day away from a cup semi final. If we can't be optimistic now then when can we?

Life is too short...surely?

Well maybe people are getting sick of all the whining, moaning and woe-is-me stuff? Can you tell me exactly what goin over all the negative possibilities time and again achieves? It seems to be flooding this messageboard.

Yes...we might well be in trouble in a few months. Or we might be alright. Is it worth fretting over? We are a day away from a cup semi final. If we can't be optimistic now then when can we?

Life is too short...surely?

Personally I'm not worried and still think we will finish 15th or 16th but if we don't pick up 12 points by end February I will be very worried that we may go down. As for the semi? Well I'm going tomorrow and provided we don't get stuffed I'll be at Villa Park as well. I'm not excited. Why? The rubbish football Allardyce has served up all season, with a few exceptions, and the lack of drive shown by the team. I expect to lose tomorrow as I don't believe the manager will put out a team capable of winning by a significant margin. It will be 90 minutes of trying to contain them and looking to nick a goal.

I'm going because I don't want to miss the possibility, however slight, we will put in another Chelsea performance.

id say that to have a proper evaluation of allardyce we will have to wait till the END of next season!. So far he has done his job very well, last season he had to keep us up and he did that, he has made some exciting signings such as n'zonzi. and when we give him enough time to build his own squad (which you have to do with a mangager, especially a club of our size) then we can make a decision if the club is going in the right direction! personally although annoyed with some performances i am very content with where we are compared to 12 months ago!

The point I was making (and only Philip seemed to understand) is we are relying on our home form to pick up points, but we still have to play the top 3 teams at home who we've failed to beat for God knows how long.

And saying our away form might pick up is a bit like saying Sam might change his tactics or Dunny will stay fit for the remainder of the season. It's unlikely!

Uhhh... correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we draw with both Chelsea(league cup) and Liverpool at home? I didn't realise that not beating the top 3 at Home meant imminent relegation.

Just changed my vote from "not sure" to "no". The main reason is that Sam's buys have had enough time now and they are mostly well below par. Kalinic has had 5 months so acclimatisation excuses are wearing thin. Di Santo is talented but ineffective, never looks like scoring and provides very few assists. Then there's the signing of 3 right backs of whom only one started last night - whilst the midfield is talentless and threadbare. Sam put too much faith in the the chronic crocks - Reid, Grella, Dunn- playing on a regular basis if at all. Giving Andrews a new contract was an act of folly when he could and should have been pushed out. The only minor positive has been N'Zonzi although his potential has been over-hyped - Viera in slippers to judge from last night.

Had the pleasure of chatting to a Bolton fan, He said the football we are playing wasnt just bad by normal football standards, But bad by Allerdyces standard.

We never look like scoring.We play a formation and tactics that are suppose to be hard to beat, Yet none of our players seem to want to play that way.

We have a team that wants to try and play football and a manager that only knows one way of playing.

• 3 weeks later...

:rover: is it 1 in 4 rovers supporters think lardarse is doing a good job :wacko::brfcsmilie:

10th in the league, a cup-semi final and some exciting young players showing promise such as Olsson and Kalinic, (Please don't use that word again) it lets sack him, who cares how much it costs us and bring in god knows who with no cash and will no doubts be no better than Big Sam. Dear oh dear.

Yep, kneejerk calls for Sam to be sacked have been replaced by kneejerk proclamations that he is the Messiah again on the back of a couple of decent results.

Another bad run and we might be back to where we were before.

The poll would probably vary significantly if run every couple of weeks.

What we need at the club is stability on the management side. Teams that change managers frequently do not progress, with the resources that Sam has had he has done an adequate job. Most of us don't appreciate the style of football that Sam plays however, the boo boys who are constantly on his case should lay off and support him whilst he is our manager.

I'm not happy with the direction the club is going in but I'm more than satisfied being in the top half of the league (would be delighted if we finish 10th) and proud to have reached the cup semis and given Villa a hard time. I don't know... can I ever be happy with Sam though?... my fault, not his.

Yep, kneejerk calls for Sam to be sacked have been replaced by kneejerk proclamations that he is the Messiah again on the back of a couple of decent results.

Another bad run and we might be back to where we were before.

The poll would probably vary significantly if run every couple of weeks.

Exactly.

Which is why he needs time and we all need to be more patient. Judging a boss week by week is no way for club like Rovers to be run. We aren't Real Madrid or whoever that can swap coaches every six months and get away with it. Nor are judgements such as a certain number of games into the season is the right time to judge.

We need to be taking stock each summer. Only in truly extreme and dire circumstances (Ince with us 5 points adrift of safety for example) should we be changing jockeys midrace so to speak. Under Sam we have never really been close to such dire a hopeless position despite other annoyances that might have taken place.

We have been playing ugly football, but if you told me back when ince was in charge that a year from now we'd be 10th place, and in the semis of a cup, I wouldn't care if we looked more like playing Rugby than Football...

That said as an American I admit to ignorance as far as this question goes, but did Notlob's playing style improve as they shot up the table during Sam's tenure or was it always the same Hoofing about? Yes I do understand they had Anelka which can make a difference.

sam has done better than any other manager we could attract could do given the resourses available to the manager. given that the likes of bristol city`s gary johnson was in the frame last time when ince went, i dread to think where we`d have been now if sam hadn`t taken the job. i suspect playing pretty football midtable in the championship and on the brink of administration.

Archived