BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final 2Nd Leg

philipl

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a great 1 1/2 matches. We lost it with the ultra-defensive line-up of the first match.

There are so many plusses from the 2 games - Kalinic, Olssen and Pederson to mention just 3.

Do not blame Samba at all. Just very curious the 3 sendings off against Villa.Strange.

Supporting Villa in the final.

As I said, I Sky + the game so I could watch it back after I’d got back in. Hansen and Southgate appear to share my view, that although it was a foul, Nelson has got to stay on his feet and clear the ball as the contact was not great enough for him to fall over in the way he did.

So when is a foul not a free kick ? At the time of the push both players were running towards the ball - with Nelsen probably already slightly off balance - so I think the statement is a little misplaced.

Of more annoyance for me (not aimed at Villa fans) - but there were at least three similar pushes/shoves in the back by Villa players in the second half - all blown as free kicks. The inconsistency by refs these days is amazing.

I think MON has the team playing to orders - unfortunately those orders include playing to the absolute limits of the game - with sneaky pushes and dives being intergral. However - with Sam as our manager - we are probably as guilty at times.

I think that's probably the most accurate assessment of all the incidents from both legs I've seen.

Can understand BFS not blaming Samba though - the big lad will know he's been a c0ck and won't need it rubbing in. Blaming the ref is as much about deflecting the criticism from Samba in my eyes.

Sam is right not to go at Samba - he made a mistake, hopefully the coaches will work on it in training - and he will learn from it. People need to remember he is still young for a centre-half.

IMO Sam was spot on - the ref was to blame because he gave the first goal - which totally changed the way the game was going at the time. Samba wouldn't have been in the position to give away the penalty if the first goal hadn't gone in - more likley he would have been scoring the third goal at the other end - the way the game was going until the ref intervened.

Amazing listening to Beeb - oh, it was probably a foul, but Nelsen shoudl have been stronger - so ref was correct. How the **** do they work that out ? A foul is a foul.

You know what? It's not easy for a bloke to admit he is wrong...but I got it wrong. I thought you were having a go, but you weren't, you were spot on with that idea that wanting the other team to win would be better cos "we would have lost anyway". I'd feel the same. Sorry chap. It's just I have heard so much bitterness towards us that I automatically assumed you were doing the same. You sound like a good chap, a proper footy fan, like the vast majority of Rovers fans I have met at Ewood or VP and like the vast majority of ours. So I'm sorry I jumped down your throat, I apologise. Good luck to Rovers and the rest of your season. Its not your fault there are so many glory hunters up your way that'd rather watch Man U on the tele than go and watch a real club like Rovers, Bolton, Wigan etc...( I almost said Burnley then, but I caught myself in time..).

P.S. kalinic will do well for you lot under the right manager. All the best.

Hey, no worries at all! Trust me, if we hadn't have been knocked out at the final hurdle, then I'd be supporting you guys all the way. I guess I am just a bit of a bad loser in the sense that, if we can't have it, then nobody can (you don't really count United there because they've won just about everything anyway).

Generally speaking, I'd always prefer 'proper' football clubs to get to the final of a competition that the big boys don't really value anyway (although that also goes for any comp). Remember the FA Cup a few years ago when we lost to Chelsea and Watford to United? The final turned out the be absolutely dire. How much better would a Watford - Rovers FA Cup final have been?

Also, two of the guys I shared a hostel with were Villa fans and you could tell just how much it meant to them to get to a final.

Stick around on the board, if you can. We also have fans of Bolton, Burnley and Fulham who post regularly and it's good to get their insight on various topics.

So when is a foul not a free kick ? At the time of the push both players were running towards the ball - with Nelsen probably already slightly off balance - so I think the statement is a little misplaced.

Of more annoyance for me (not aimed at Villa fans) - but there were at least three similar pushes/shoves in the back by Villa players in the second half - all blown as free kicks. The inconsistency by refs these days is amazing.

I think MON has the team playing to orders - unfortunately those orders include playing to the absolute limits of the game - with sneaky pushes and dives being intergral. However - with Sam as our manager - we are probably as guilty at times.

Sam is right not to go at Samba - he made a mistake, hopefully the coaches will work on it in training - and he will learn from it. People need to remember he is still young for a centre-half.

IMO Sam was spot on - the ref was to blame because he gave the first goal - which totally changed the way the game was going at the time. Samba wouldn't have been in the position to give away the penalty if the first goal hadn't gone in - more likley he would have been scoring the third goal at the other end - the way the game was going until the ref intervened.

Amazing listening to Beeb - oh, it was probably a foul, but Nelsen shoudl have been stronger - so ref was correct. How the **** do they work that out ? A foul is a foul.

Good post, I looked at the Nelsen incident again, Nelsens balance was on one leg as he was attempting to head a regulation ball, which it would have been had he not been pushed, only a slight nudge when off balance will take you out!! And yes, Abgonnereah was nudging and pushing all the game, funny how the ref saw none!!

Just for the reaction of the Villa fans and players after the game, I hope the Mancs win it. I know we'd be the same if we'd got through but the tasteless bias towards Villa before, during and after the game by all media establishments was disgusting so I hope they fall flat on their face. Sorry Villa fans, it's just the way it is. Besides, seeing Martin O' Neill win anything is a horrible, horrible thing that no child or indeed adult should ever have to see.

Good post, I looked at the Nelsen incident again, Nelsens balance was on one leg as he was attempting to head a regulation ball, which it would have been had he not been pushed, only a slight nudge when off balance will take you out!! And yes, Abgonnereah was nudging and pushing all the game, funny how the ref saw none!!

Not here to have a go lads but PLEEEEEASSSE tell me why all the Rovers fans are forgetting the AWFUL decisions that went your way at Ewood? Yes it looked like a push but it was nowhere near as blatant as the Gabby foul that was never a dive in a million years or the Chimbonda handball at Ewood, they were both stonewall pens and if they had been the other way you'd have been on this forum screaming blue murder like you are now with the push (which was soft and happens a hundred times in a match). Now I don't want a an argument but 2 pens we should have had so to blame the ref is unbelievable, we were doing that after the 1st leg and it still is 2 major decisions to 1 in ROVERS favour.

Anyway, it was a cracker and I had a good time up at your place as I always do and hope those that came to ours enjoyed the day, please don't lose track of the fact hat it was a cracker and we scored 7 times, the ref is not to blame for that, except it could have been more if Clattenburg could ref.

Is BFS on the brink now? I hope so, I hope you get a good manager in and he keeps you up. On that note, a word of advice. Don't go for Shearer. He was relegated at Villa on the last day of the season with NUFC, and who have you got last day?..... Just a thought..

All the best.

Just for the reaction of the Villa fans and players after the game, I hope the Mancs win it.

What, celebrating? It means so much to us and we expressed that and you want to take that away from us? Would you prefer a more sterile approach to football a la Emirates, Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford etc...? We showed some passion cos it meant the world to us! Could you not tell that by the fact we packed our end out at Ewood? Come on mate, thats a harsh thing to say and smacks of bitterness I'm afraid.

Good point on the penalty shouts at Ewood. Samba's in particular was so blatant, the ref must have got some mud in his eye at just the wrong moment. No doubt Milner would have put the semi well beyond us.

Samba seems to be one hell of a penalty conceding MOFO at the moment.

I've just read that a bloke coming back fromVilla Park on a coach was bottle attacked and by the sounds of it from fellow Rovers fans who then scarpered if this is true i'm horrific to hear and i hope the culprit/culprits are caught as it certainly has no place in football or indeed any other walk of life!!!

I`ve read the article this morning too, the way the telegraph put it, it seems as though it was people on the coach. The article could have been on the front page as a buy the paper and see what happens in side kind of thing, but typical LET just ends it there with no actual end to the story.

I noticed abonglahor all game pushing and doing snidey challenges. He does as many fouls as kevin davies ffs

He's very clever and sneaky at it though.

Funnily enough - United fans here at work where going on about how he was continually at it during the game - can't say I noticed it myself.

Think alot of players do really - part of the game

TV or any other Villian for that matter - any experience of visiting the Original Wembley with Villa, if so may be a report back with the experience at the new 'rip off' one after your visit this time ( if you are going :D )

Just had many bad reports rather than good ones - just so we know for when we get there next year to lift the FA Cup ( ;) always and still my dream) :brfc:

Sa do say ES that I've had too many awaydays spoiled by such lowlifes that I no longer even think about following BRFC away from Ewood. The thought of being trapped on a coach with them for hours on end is even worse.

I might make an exception fot t'turf though. ;)

If you havnt even thought about following us away from ewood you can forget about making an exception and trying to get to turf! unless you want to offer me £1,000 for my ticket!

Nelsen off balance? He was perfectly positioned to head the ball behind for a corner, until the whore had other ideas, cheating tw@t, how did Milner got away with that challenge on Dunn, that's a yellow but Samba's a red :rock:

Nelsen off balance? He was perfectly positioned to head the ball behind for a corner, until the whore had other ideas, cheating tw@t, how did Milner got away with that challenge on Dunn, that's a yellow but Samba's a red :rock:

Milner was late on Dunn but Samba took out Agbonlahor when clean through on goal. There's a world of difference, and both were correct decisions.

Not here to have a go lads but PLEEEEEASSSE tell me why all the Rovers fans are forgetting the AWFUL decisions that went your way at Ewood? Yes it looked like a push but it was nowhere near as blatant as the Gabby foul that was never a dive in a million years or the Chimbonda handball at Ewood, they were both stonewall pens and if they had been the other way you'd have been on this forum screaming blue murder like you are now with the push (which was soft and happens a hundred times in a match).

Ok - Samba one I agree with you - though I think your player was going down before Samba touched - which is probably what swayed the Ref. If he had attempted to stay on his feet - rather than play for the penalty he woudl have got it. Either way - I actually thought it was a penalty.

Chmibonda - sorry - still think he was pushed prior to any offence.

Over the two legs, Villa were on balance just the better side. No way was it as one-sided as the Beeb made out - vital decisions went against us at the wrong times - just the way of the world supporting a small town club.

However - Rovers didn't enjoy the best of luck over the two ties - hitting the post twice in the first leg is a good example.

Good luck in the final - I think you will need it - for me the quality of your individual players doesn't match the overall quality of your football at times - though I suppose youa re still a relatively young team.

Milner was late on Dunn but Samba took out Agbonlahor when clean through on goal. There's a world of difference, and both were correct decisions.

Late? It was two footed, that's a straight red these days, Milner had no intention of playing the ball, the only thing he could have done was put it out for a throw, at least Samba tried to play the ball, it was clumsy but no malice like Milner's, there's a world of difference.

If you havnt even thought about following us away from ewood you can forget about making an exception and trying to get to turf! unless you want to offer me £1,000 for my ticket!

Give over....there are always ways to get tickets.

Get yourself on the Dingle buying history in preparation! :P

I`ve read the article this morning too, the way the telegraph put it, it seems as though it was people on the coach. The article could have been on the front page as a buy the paper and see what happens in side kind of thing, but typical LET just ends it there with no actual end to the story.

Without wanting to prejudice any future action, there was a group of four on the coach - 3 of whom were absolute scum. One was clearly on drugs and insisted he wanted to get off in the middle of a jam on the M6 and managed to get arrested before the game and see none of it. The other two were the ones who committed the attack on another lad who didn't seem to have done anything wrong at all. The injured lad managed to get off the coach when it pulled up despite being laid into pretty brutally. The two numpties also got off and did a runner through a field.

Half of Merseyside Police turned up (half a dozen cars, CID, CSI, helicopter, dog unit) and everyone was stuck there until about 3 am.

Away games have been getting a bit intolerable because of the cretins you have to put up with being obnoxious but such extreme violence takes it to another level. It's a very sad reflection on the town and our support.

i wont have a problem getting a ticket as iv only missed 3 games all season! :tu:

all i was saying is the guy says he dont go away games but will go burnley well if he hasnt been to at least 5 aways the only place he will be going is blues bar ;)

Dont worry about Thenodrog, he struggles to get down to Ewood park :D so for him to try Burnley away could just be a hill too far for the Lancashire lad. :unsure:

If I want a ticket I'll get a ticket, but thank you for your concern all the same. :rover:

Can anyone explain WHY, on the local paper website, photo section of the Villa/Rovers game, does every picture cover a Villa player and even one of Martin O'Neil with the odd shot of a Rovers player ?

It looks like the Lancashire Telegraph, our only local paper really dislikes Rovers !

WHY?

Archived