BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final 2Nd Leg

philipl

Reasons to be optimistic:

Villa were pretty pedestrian today against West Ham

Sam finally played some of his better players today and, who knows, might even do so again on Wednesday

We don't have to think about saving players for the 4th round of the FA Cup- unlike Villa

We have won handsomely at Villa Park more than once in the recent past and we have played them off the park even when we've lost

We beat Villa in the League by a scoreline that would take us to Wembley if repeated on Wednesday

We beat Chelsea to get to this stage. We even conceded an ultra late goal and did them on penalties!

If you ignore their games against us, Villa are on a pretty ropey run of form:

Villa 0 WHam 0

Villa 0 Liverpool 1 (they cracked in their mega game which could have put the scousers beyond recovery for CL qualification)

Arsenal 3 Villa 0 (they were lucky that was all they got beaten by)

Third time lucky???

See you at Wembley. :rover:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our gameplan is pretty straightforward - we have to go out and try to score at least two goals.

If we do that, even if we concede we have a very decent shout of going through as away goals count double after extra time. If we only score one, the best we can hope for is the lottery of penalties.

With that in mind I hope we stick with today's 4-4-2 formation and as Sam has finally found a line up that got a result, I would stick with the same eleven to try and build up their confidence.

My wife and I are going to this. We bought our tickets on Thursday before the home leg and got seats at the front of the 2nd coach. Anybody know how many coaches are going now btw?

We are on coach 19 and got our tickets on Friday, don't know the latest number.

its like this, Villa have got an away goal… in theory we will have to beat them 2-1 and still go through as we would have scored 2 away goals. The game would end 2-2, and we would go through on the away goals rule.

If we win the game 1-0, it would go into extra time. If we win 2-0, its an out right win over the 2 games.

Anything besides a 1-0 or 2-1 win for us, would mean we go out. well we could win 3-1 or 3-0 or anything higher than a 2-1. However if Villa scores 2 against us, then it would mean we would have to win 3-2 to go through on the away goals.

I know, all a bit confusing, but that’s how it is.

a few Likely Scenario's

0-0(Villa through)

0-1(extra time)

1-0(Villa through)

1-2(Rovers through)

1-1(Villa through)

2-2(Villa through)

2-3(Rovers through)

as long as Villa don’t score more than 1, then we have a very good chance to go through.

Just a reality check. Yesterday Villa played against a Wet Spam team that played with a back 4 and at times 6 in themiddle yet still made a number of chances that should have been put away.

t'Rovers have to score and will not be able to stifle the same way.

Villas FA Cup game on Saturday is against Brighton and Hove Albion where they will field a totally diferent team at least 4 and possibly 5 changes from Wednesday.

do you choose not to read the opening phrase 'reasons to be optimistic' :blink:

if we're still in the game come half time anything can happen! I just hope we can get as many rovers supporters down there as possible :brfcsmilie:

Thanks to an inspirational post from Tris I bought tickets a couple of hours before the first leg. After Sunday I feel much more optimistic. I know we've just had a one decent result but if Sam picks a 4-4-2 side and lets the team play we have a good chance of a shock result. I shall be feeling positive until I see the team, if it's 4-5-1 I'll be very disappointed. We have nothing to lose and everything to play for. Really looking forward to Wednesday much more than I had expected.

Rovers to get through but the possible permutations with away goals are just to complicated for me!

if we get an early goal, then they will be under pressure. However, if they score 1st, then our heads will drop.as i said we only need a 2-1 win to progress

Don't away goals only count after extra time? That scuppered the dingles last year!

heart says 2-1 to us, not going to listen to my head. would love to see a similar line up yesterday but with a few changes.

kalinic benni

ollson reid emo hoilett

givet nelsen samba pascal

robbo

would give us some much needed pace on the flanks, plus the work rate of reid and niko, creativity from beni and the defencive qualitys of emo (not to mention he could run forever if it was asked of him. if not reid id stick dunn there, that way emo could cover dunn.

For the avoidance of doubt this is the rule: -

13.5 In the Semi-Final ties, if the aggregate score is level at the end of the second game an extra half-hour shall be played. If the aggregate scores are still level at the end of extra time the tie shall be decided by goals scored away from home counting twice. If the teams remain equal after this procedure the tie shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the Laws of Association Football.

heart says 2-1 to us, not going to listen to my head. would love to see a similar line up yesterday but with a few changes.

kalinic benni

ollson reid emo hoilett

givet nelsen samba pascal

robbo

would give us some much needed pace on the flanks, plus the work rate of reid and niko, creativity from beni and the defencive qualitys of emo (not to mention he could run forever if it was asked of him. if not reid id stick dunn there, that way emo could cover dunn.

Based on Sam's comments - I doubt we will see Reid on Wednesday (given his injury record it is probably wise not to expose him to two games in quick succession). I also think we will see Dunn start rather than Benni. Though I like your team - think most likely to see Nzonzi partner Emo - with Dunn alongside Kalanic or Di Santo. Though I think yesterdays booing was a disgrace to the club - just hope Andrews doesn't start.

Guest Kamy100

Villa are one dimensional team, they are totally and utterly relient on the pace that they posses to open up teams, West Ham showed yesterday that if you shut that down then you shut down Villa to a large extent.

Hopefully Rovers can do that, but my worries remain about the defence, yesterday against Fulham we were exposed many many times, however if we can keep it tight at the back, then I can see us causing Villa problems at the other end.

I think that Sam will rotate, and most likely to be rested are Reid, McCarthy and Kalanic who will be replaced by Dunn, Di Santo and Hoillet.

Archived