Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final 2Nd Leg

philipl

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ten reasons to take comfort from last night's effort:

1. Kalinic hopefully has cracked it as a goal scorer

2. Olsson is like a new signing playing in that position the way he did. Great goal and great assist.

3. The midfield formation was great. Pedersen, Olsson, Nzonzi and Emerton all deserved their places and made a great combination

4. Sam showed faith and allowed them to play with some freedom and to interchange positions

5. If we can get shut of Benny we can get Beattie who will be well able to play the David Dunn role when Dunny is injured (as he usually is).

6. Robbo is in good form

7. Givet can play centre back if we need him and we still have Chimbonda, Jacobson, Emerton and Salgado to cover the full back positions if necessary. (In addition Jones shows great promise).

8. There was an attacking spirit and the players never gave up (thanks, Ryan)

9. The attitude and approach shown was cause for PRIDE. How long have we been waiting for that?

10. All this without sight of Andrews and Diouf.

I believe that game should be the season-changer for us as well as the realisation for Sam that we can be a positive, combative, successful team that has belief in itself.

I live in hope.

John

Reading the last few pages it seems we (Villa) our fans, players, manager, kit man and tea lady are all scum of the earth and don't deserve anything despite scoring 7 goals in the 2 games.

The first half hour you were good but I also think it was a combination of us feeling the nerves as we were not at the races, we were coming back into it before our 1st goal which I believe was due to you then feeling nervous.

There is some real bitter bias in this thread, somebody even mentioned that if 2 that hit the POST went in the game would have been different, they were not on target so didn't go in.

Watching the 2 games I think you have a real good player in Kalinic and good luck for the rest of the season.

Reading the last few pages it seems we (Villa) our fans, players, manager, kit man and tea lady are all scum of the earth and don't deserve anything despite scoring 7 goals in the 2 games.

Emotions were (and still are to some extent) running high so don't take it too personally.

I still think Villa are the 'good guys' of the top seven. You've got your fair share of nobs, but what team hasn't? You have a decent manager, a seemingly good chairman, a strong spine of English players and generally fans aren't up their own arses like Spurs or Newcastle.

I hope you win the final, regardless of who you end up playing.

The first half hour you were good but I also think it was a combination of us feeling the nerves as we were not at the races, we were coming back into it before our 1st goal which I believe was due to you then feeling nervous.

There is some real bitter bias in this thread, somebody even mentioned that if 2 that hit the POST went in the game would have been different, they were not on target so didn't go in.

Watching the 2 games I think you have a real good player in Kalinic and good luck for the rest of the season.

I don't know where you get some of that from but you're on a Rovers forum. Some bias is generally to be expected.

Having said that, your much more expensive squad did indeed score 7 over two legs whereas we could only manage 4 albeit 2 with only 10 men...

Good luck to you too.

In fairness Villa took their goals well and probably deserved the win over two legs. The reason we're having a groan is because at 2-0, we should have had a free kick and that led to your resurgence. The incident with Samba may arguably not have happened if you hadn't gained momentum. I know its all ifs and buts, however, things could have been so different had we had a stronger referee. The rest of the goals came due to the fact we were down to ten men and going all out for the win. Add to that the fact, that apparently the BBC were completely one-sided and your manager is a very poor winner.

I don't think anyone hates Villa Dan, we're just annoyed with the whole outcome of the situation.

P.S. I do hate Agbonlahor and Young, they went down far too easily for me over two legs and they act as though they're the world's best players. Over-confidence is one thing but arrogance is ugly.

To be completely fair the first goal was a pretty blatent foul and shouldn't have stood. That said you were better over the two legs, especially the first half of the first leg where you should have gone in 3-0 at the interval.

However, considering our entire team cost roughly a fifth of yours I am proud of the lads.

The one point I would strongly make about Villa is you are far too reliant on pace and the long ball to be a top four team, and until you address the quality of build up play (making an enormous start with Milner who looks brilliant) you are going to find in difficult against teams who park the bus or retain the ball well.

A fair way before you make top four. Much as I dislike them Spurs and Man City are much better placed to break up the cadre. O'Neill needs to think about purchases carefully and try and get in a couple of world class players from somewhere. If you get in a first rate target man and replace Petrov you will be vastly stronger.

I've always liked Martin O'neill but I was disapointed with his attitude last night . My old coach had a saying- " Be a bad loser but a good winner ". No sign of that last night. No word in his interview as to how well his opponents played. He just wanted to bandy words with Sam about last weeks game. He came across as small minded and pedantic. A bigger man would have remembered " Winners are grinners and losers can please thereselves".

I presume this view was based on his comments on the TV (I haven't watched the tape yet). We caught an interview with him on FiveLive just as we got back to the car and he did say words along the lines of "we knew Rovers would come at us" and "they gave it a good go and made it difficult for us". That's hardly fulsome praise but the whole tenor was that it was a great game between two fine sides but we deserved to win over the two legs, which would only be what I would expect.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dunn being effectively kicked out of the game by bad tackles, firstly by Milner and then Petrov. After his tackle Milner then had a wild swing at someone late in the first half (I think), which if he had connected would have seen him off.

Is Samba out for the next three games?

I thought a professional foul was only a one game ban. I think you get three for violent conduct.

All depends what he was sent off for, i think you can rule out violent conduct so i don't think the three match ban applies. I think a one match ban applies if you prevent a direct goal scoring opportunity.

In fairness Villa took their goals well and probably deserved the win over two legs. The reason we're having a groan is because at 2-0, we should have had a free kick and that led to your resurgence. The incident with Samba may arguably not have happened if you hadn't gained momentum. I know its all ifs and buts, however, things could have been so different had we had a stronger referee. The rest of the goals came due to the fact we were down to ten men and going all out for the win. Add to that the fact, that apparently the BBC were completely one-sided and your manager is a very poor winner.

I don't think anyone hates Villa Dan, we're just annoyed with the whole outcome of the situation.

P.S. I do hate Agbonlahor and Young, they went down far too easily for me over two legs and they act as though they're the world's best players. Over-confidence is one thing but arrogance is ugly.

I think most of it is born from people actually forgetting the 1st leg like has been said had we (Villa) had a stronger ref first game the tie could have been dead and buried by half time, like you say all ifs and buts. At the end of the day we probably had 30 shots over the 2 games.

On the Villa sites your manager is a very poor loser as opposed to ours being a bad winner this is what I mean by bias and it is not just your fans, I suppose all football fans are generally biased.

Young you may have a point but Gabby is far from arrogant and in fact a pretty shy guy who has worked hard at his career considering he was nothing but pace when he started out.

To be completely fair the first goal was a pretty blatent foul and shouldn't have stood. That said you were better over the two legs, especially the first half of the first leg where you should have gone in 3-0 at the interval.

However, considering our entire team cost roughly a fifth of yours I am proud of the lads.

The one point I would strongly make about Villa is you are far too reliant on pace and the long ball to be a top four team, and until you address the quality of build up play (making an enormous start with Milner who looks brilliant) you are going to find in difficult against teams who park the bus or retain the ball well.

A fair way before you make top four. Much as I dislike them Spurs and Man City are much better placed to break up the cadre. O'Neill needs to think about purchases carefully and try and get in a couple of world class players from somewhere. If you get in a first rate target man and replace Petrov you will be vastly stronger.

You are pretty much bang on with your assessment about us and we are all crying out for a top class creative midfielder to replace Stan and a 20 goal a season striker, but these cost money and apparently we have to sell to buy now.

You are (or at least I thought you were) supporting BLACKBURN ROVERS THE CLUB.

So, sitting at home make you feel proud, does it, of your 'protest'? There are other ways to make your feelings known.

You're clearly out of touch with how an ever increasing amount of our supporters are feeling mum and no its doesn't make me feel proud to sit at home, but neither does it make me feel proud watching over paid players that just give a toss.

Never thought I’d ever miss a cup semi final but that’s just the way I feel at the moment. I didn’t go on Sunday either, even though I’ve a season ticket, its my way of dealing with the current situation, rather stay away than boo the team like many seem to be adopting.

If we had played the first leg like the second, and also the quarter final we may have been sitting here planning a several hundred pounds trip to Wemberleee. The players are capable of doing the job and seemed much more motivated to do it this way too.

So frustrating to see the first leg reduced to tedium when it could have been so much more.

TonyOz has it right, gallant losers I cannot stand, suppose it's the English way really.

Sam has to see that we can go toe to toe with the better sides when we play like that. He may lose a few games, but we are doing that anyway, and it would get the boo boys off his back too.

Looking forward to Wigan next week so long as we continue like last night.

Straight red is a three match ban. A yellow followed by a red is a one match ban. There was no violent conduct (further ban can be added if so) involved so Samba should get the three match ban.

I'm pretty sure it's only one game. This is, I think, the relevant FA rule: -

© PLAYERS SENT OFF UNDER LAW 12 (4) and (5)

A Player who is dismissed from the Field of Play for denying a goal or an obvious

goalscoring opportunity by physical means or by handling the ball, will be suspended

automatically from FTCM commencing forthwith, until such time as his Club has

completed its next FTCM.

FTCM means full time competitive matches.

I think most of it is born from people actually forgetting the 1st leg like has been said had we (Villa) had a stronger ref first game the tie could have been dead and buried by half time, like you say all ifs and buts. At the end of the day we probably had 30 shots over the 2 games.

On the Villa sites your manager is a very poor loser as opposed to ours being a bad winner this is what I mean by bias and it is not just your fans, I suppose all football fans are generally biased.

Young you may have a point but Gabby is far from arrogant and in fact a pretty shy guy who has worked hard at his career considering he was nothing but pace when he started out.

You are pretty much bang on with your assessment about us and we are all crying out for a top class creative midfielder to replace Stan and a 20 goal a season striker, but these cost money and apparently we have to sell to buy now.

According to Sky you had 16 shots on target over the two games. Rovers had 11. your point was?

I'm pretty sure it's only one game. This is, I think, the relevant FA rule: -

© PLAYERS SENT OFF UNDER LAW 12 (4) and (5)

A Player who is dismissed from the Field of Play for denying a goal or an obvious

goalscoring opportunity by physical means or by handling the ball, will be suspended

automatically from FTCM commencing forthwith, until such time as his Club has

completed its next FTCM.

FTCM means full time competitive matches.

Just checked out the rules and that does appear to be correct. I believe though if there was abusive language after the sending off or threatening behaviour then it can be bumped up to a two match ban. Looking at the incident last night there was no way that was violent conduct so he shouldn't recieve the three match ban.

What a night! And surreal entertainment.

The diamond formation worked superbly but as others have said we did not know what to do when 2-0 up away from home.

Samba at fault my arse...he and Nelson were split by an overhead clearance/pass from the half-way line and did well

to get his telescope leg as close to the ball.

Nelson,Pederson,Olssen,Emerton were colossal -the disappointments were Dunny,Chimbonda and the wastrel that is Benny.

But a Glorious defeat that will go into the memory bank and will give confidence to most of the players.

Was it a diamond? It looked to me to be 4-2-3-1 like this:

...........Robbo

Chimbo...Samba...Nelsen...Givet

......N'Zonzi...Emerton

Dunn....Pedersen....Olsson

.........Kalinic

Is that a diamond?

Samba was at fault TWICE for the goal actually - first trying (badly) to play Agbonlahor onside, then with the rash tackle. Easy in hindsight but if he had let Agbonlahor go through, the worst that would have happened would have been he scored, it's 2-2 and crucially it's still 11 v 11. He may well have missed, or had an effort saved.

Pedersen was NOT colossal - he still wimped out of challenges and headers nearly every time, but was playing in a position where his lack of commitment wasn't such an issue. As it was he used the ball well, and had his best game in a while.

Olsson was very good, and was ripping Cuellar at will until then red card. Nelsen defended like his life defended on it, but still think he should have done more for Villa's first goal - not the first time this season he's felt a touch on the back and gone down for the free-kick rather than playing to the whistle.

Givet looked far more comfortable in the centre, Emerton did all that was asked of him, Niko was awesome and should be the first name on the teamsheet.

Negatives? Dunny looked unfit and did nothing, Chimbonda still lacks concentration, and N'Zonzi just looks tired.

Credit to Allardyce - much to most people's surprise he got it tactically spot-on, and although we definitely sat back at 2-0, whether that was his instruction or the natural shocked reaction of the team at being 2-0 up away from home, who knows.

Anyway, much improved performance - given the way the last two games have gone, with more committed positive performances perhaps we should tell Allardyce he is only EVER two games from the sack? ;)

According to Sky you had 16 shots on target over the two games. Rovers had 11. your point was?

That they battered us, its should of been over in the 1st leg as they should of got 2 penalties & their famous atmosphere was loud last night and you could hear them singing non-stop for the full 90 minutes!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: YEAH OK!

Young is a good player but why does he constantly have to act like a n0b? him winding Dunny up last night was pathetic

He's a diving @#/? as well.

Agreed on both points, he was also doing his show-boating in the 1st leg when Benni gave him a kick. One day he will get flattened for being such a pr!ck.

Archived