BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final 2Nd Leg

philipl

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some people are getting mighty carried away with yet another semi-final defeat. I don't know - is it a defence mechanism or something? I was proud of the team when we went 2-0 up, with dogged pressing and fluid passing. Then the moment we started easing off, lumping the ball instead of retaining it, you could sense Villa would come back into it - albeit with a fortunate piece of refereeing. After that, Villa kept the momentum and Agbonlahor skipped through and incurred a rash, mindless tackle from Samba. That was it. Rovers were down to 10 men and becoming even more stretched. There was little leadership or organisation. We didn't compensate for our one man deficit, and Villa started to pick us off. I'm pleased we managed to grab a few goals later on, but in truth they were merely consolatory efforts.

If we can show the same approach in the first 25minutes, then I'll think Sam could turn a few heads. However, I don't think we will. This was a cup semi-final, all or nothing, with high stakes involved. I just don't think we'll transfer the energy and enthusiasm to the league games. That's why I think a lot of fans are getting unduly carried away. No names mentioned, of course. ;)

It was a high-risk decision and he screwed it up. He'd been better off staying on his feet and putting teh bloke off.

Most definitely. Ibonkedawhore isn't the best at ones on ones and wasn't looking particularly comfortable when he was through. Robbo has made some good saves from those positions this season too.

Even if he did score, I'd have fancied us to get right back into it with eleven men. Samba shouldn't have gone for a slide tackle if he wasn't 100% sure he could win it.

I agree with Nogs remarks about the Samba sending off. It changed what was brewing up to be a ding- dong end to end game that both teams had a chance of winning into a game where ultimately there was only ever going to be one winner. It's in effect a treble punisnment because along with the penalty and sending off we'll be with out one of our best players for 3 games.

That's not what people had in mind when the changes to the laws were mooted years ago. Fans with long memories will recall it was the Paul Allen incident in the Cup Final when he was tripped outside the area but clean through on goal that brought an outcry and a change in the rules. The pendulum has swung too far in my opinion.

Yes it was the turning point. But Samba has been pushing his luck lately hasn't he? Villa believe they should have got 3 pens from this tie, everyone agrees about 2 but opinions differ about the one where Agbonlehor got booked. However 2 of 3 "penalty incidents" were down to one player------ Samba! His card is going to be marked if it hasn't been already, he has to tone it down if we are going to see him play regularly.

I am not Sam's biggest fan, however can't believe people are having a go at him, he got the tactics right. We are 2-0 up and in total control. Villa look nervous and all over the place, game changes with one poor decision from the referee. We had them at 2-0. If people really want to have a go at our team then have a go at Samba for reckless challenge which got him sent off.

Well said that man. Ditto - not a Sam fan at all. His tactics tonight were the only way to beat Villa. We were the better side in the first half. And the sending off ended the match as a contest. Samba's fault totally. Gabby Yorath would have missed anyway !

How the hell can people say we didn't press and close them down in the second half. The first half running and effort was massive from where i was sat on Trinity Road side. Some of them ran themselves into the ground (e.g. Kalinic). There was no way they could sustain that effort with 10 men. It was visible after the sending off that the Villa midfield capitalised on the space. I think the outcome would have ben much closer with 11 men.

As for our support - OUTSTANDING on the night. I was in the ground from 6.15pm. The lads behind the goal never stopped singing from arrival to departure. A poor following in numbers more than made up for in noise and humour with the songs sung. Witnessed an outstanding football match that had everything apart from the result. Still can't believe out of 10 goals - that only one was totally clean - Olsson's - every other goal was scrappy !

Question is - can we show that sort of passion both on the pitch and in the crowd for the remiander of the season. If we can then we will be safe. If not - then Sam needs to be out of the door - if only we could afford it......

Applauded their never say die attitude at the end and was proud to be a Rover. A pity about our shoddy defending at times and just wondered what could have been if Samba had not made such a daft challenge.

Still shocks me to read some of the in-game ###### sprouted on here....but hey ho. COYB

I'm a huge critic of Allardyce for the way he sets out his team and the way he approaches games but for last night, all I have is immense praise.

I know we conceded six (due to various things) but what an absolutely passionate, never-say-die, committed performance from the team. BS deserves huge credit for the way he approached last night and the players deserve huge credit for an incredible leap on recent performances.

Kalinic was never in doubt as a good player for us and Olsson has been a revelation on the left flank. As for Pedersen, playing in the centre of a five man midfield was a masterstroke last night. He was incredibly creative and the extra man in the midle made up for his shortcomings in defensive terms.

I know we shouldn't get carried away and league football is totally different, but if the players can apply themselves in this manner for the next few months, we will be nowhere near the relegation zone come the end of season.

I've always liked Martin O'neill but I was disapointed with his attitude last night . My old coach had a saying- " Be a bad loser but a good winner ". No sign of that last night. No word in his interview as to how well his opponents played. He just wanted to bandy words with Sam about last weeks game. He came across as small minded and pedantic. A bigger man would have remembered " Winners are grinners and losers can please thereselves".

Thanks Tom. BUT you lot keep bollocking on about 2 penalties at Ewood yet never mention the two excellent efforts that hit the post and could have left you 2-1 down do you? How would your team have fared mentally at 4-1 down and down on away goals? No one will ever know of course but one thing that I do know is that your manager is an ungracious little Irish twot that I'd love to smack in the gob. He never ever gave BRFC on ounce of credit for fighting on when down to 10 men and ultimately making the match an excellent spectacle. All he mentioned was those 2 ###### penalties and how magnificent his team had been.

It would be nice one day to play you with 11 men, a fair referee and without the luck of the Irish. :tu:

There's something about O'Neill that turns my stomach. Can't quite put my finger on it but attitude has to be part of the way. He reminds me of a very spoilt child who stamps his feet if someone has one more sweet than him. He's got no class, either.

Was there last night, with my flag, I suppose one of the advantages of being in the disabled area is that you can wave your flag at them without reprimand. Was singing 'Rovers, Rovers, ROVERS' each time they started their tiresome 'Villa chant' and 'You'll get stuffed at Wember-ly' goes rather well with the 'We're going to Wember-ly' chant!

Those 'supporters' who didn't go - SHAME on you - and ditto re the home match. The CLUB deserves better. To those who did - fantastic support from them, never stopped singing.

Well done the lads. It's all been said, really, but if we can keep up this commitment we should have no problem staying in the league. Over to you, lads and Sam. Don't let us down.

You have to congratulate Villa on getting to Wembley, they really do have some good English talent onboard. The Villa fans that visit us on here must have been cacking themselves as little old Rovers rattled their cages so much that their home fans didnt sing until they were 4-2 up and then went silent as Rovers came back to 5-4. Only as they scored their 6th did Villa light up the volume ! So much for being a big club eh ?

1864 - one of the most amusing and surreal things on the evening for me was the Villa fans !

Be interesting to get out visitors views on this too !

(I was sat by halfway line on Trinity Road btw)

Pre-match - they were all very positive que sera etc etc.

Rovers started to dominant they went quiet. At 1-0 down they were on their players backs.

At 2-0 down - they really turned on their players - at this point i felt that if we could have held on for another 1/4 of an hour they would have fecked up the chances for their team with their heckling and jeering !

At 2-2 they started signing.

For the second half as with the majority of the first half they were outsung by our smallish following in the North Stand. Evene at 4-2 up - they were outsung.

At 5-2 - a few songs before Rovers got back into it. At 5-3 they went surreally quiet and it was almost as if you could hear them having conversations with themselves wondering....

At 5-4 they were positively shiteing themselves !

With 7 mins to go and 2 goals ahead the place should have been bouncing ! Instead they were still outsung by the outstanding Rovers fans (who had both variety, wit and noise in their repertoire last night - couldn't believe it !!).

Villa Park finally got excited and made some noise around 2 minutes from the end. They were ###### off when the effects of our ale kicked and we shouted for 'Villa to give us a song' from the exec boxes 5 mins from the end !

Injury time - the place lit up with the flags etc and ws a great spectacle.

Their fans were shockingly poor. However when they did make some noise from all 4 sides - did make for a great atmosphere. Great ground. Great support from the BRFC travelers.

Those 'supporters' who didn't go - SHAME on you - and ditto re the home match. The CLUB deserves better.

The supporters deserve better also than the dross thats been served up over the past 12 months.

Sometimes you need to make a stand, and several thousand have obviously done just that over the 2 legs, and all credit to them I say.

There's something about O'Neill that turns my stomach. Can't quite put my finger on it but attitude has to be part of the way. He reminds me of a very spoilt child who stamps his feet if someone has one more sweet than him.

Absolutely spot on. I would put good money on the fact that he was bullied at school and smelt of wee.

Those mood swings will be the end of you one day. You really are a big baby Paul. It's the bloody same every time we lose a match.

wtf is hoofball? If it's kicking it a long way then Messrs Dunn and Collins were as big culprits as anybody last night. We are out because ....

I'd suggest you read through some of your post's, this thread will do and ask yourself if the language and demeanour you so frequently demonstrate is appropriate for a man I'd place in his early to middle fifties. Then decide if you should be throwing stones.

As for why we lost? I don't need a lecture from you I saw it with my own eyes.

I learned long ago never to underestimate Paul's abilities in that direction. happy.gif

If you chose to read what I said it was basically I was confused by the result and do not understand how a professional team can from 2-0 up to 5-2 in 30 minutes. I don't recall maoning at all, in regarde to this match or any other. I still think Allardyce is making a mess of things at Ewood but I haven't heaped any blame on him for last night's defeat.

• Backroom

There's something about O'Neill that turns my stomach. Can't quite put my finger on it but attitude has to be part of the way. He reminds me of a very spoilt child who stamps his feet if someone has one more sweet than him. He's got no class, either.

Was there last night, with my flag, I suppose one of the advantages of being in the disabled area is that you can wave your flag at them without reprimand. Was singing 'Rovers, Rovers, ROVERS' each time they started their tiresome 'Villa chant' and 'You'll get stuffed at Wember-ly' goes rather well with the 'We're going to Wember-ly' chant!

Those 'supporters' who didn't go - SHAME on you - and ditto re the home match. The CLUB deserves better. To those who did - fantastic support from them, never stopped singing.

Well done the lads. It's all been said, really, but if we can keep up this commitment we should have no problem staying in the league. Over to you, lads and Sam. Don't let us down.

To be honest I take issue with that statement, I went to the home leg and all the previous rounds in the cup but getting to Villa midweek just wasn't achievable for me. I'm going on jury service so need a couple of weeks off work so need to get my decks cleared this wee kand couldn't have any time off. Why should I be ashamed about that?

You are (or at least I thought you were) supporting BLACKBURN ROVERS THE CLUB.

So, sitting at home make you feel proud, does it, of your 'protest'? There are other ways to make your feelings known.

Out of order TCO. You know full well I am referring to those who are QUITE able to go but are too lazy and have found the perfect excuse.

Absolutely spot on. I would put good money on the fact that he was bullied at school and smelt of wee.
I've a feeling he still does...

To be honest I take issue with that statement, I went to the home leg and all the previous rounds in the cup but getting to Villa midweek just wasn't achievable for me. I'm going on jury service so need a couple of weeks off work so need to get my decks cleared this wee kand couldn't have any time off. Why should I be ashamed about that?

Would you have gone if you could though? Those that could and had the money but didn't because it was on TV are the ones who should be ashamed.

You should damn well be ashamed! BS will visit you in your dreams :P

• Backroom

Would you have gone if you could though? Those that could and had the money but didn't because it was on TV are the ones who should be ashamed.

Debatable, I was tempted to try and make it still but January is tough at the best of times so all things considered it just wasn't viable

If I was free and had the cash I would have been there

Edit: Fair enough Mum I genuinely thought you were making a blanket statement about those of us not there, I apologise for any offence caused

I would NEVER critisise those who are unable to go for good reason. It's not as if it's that far to go and free travel - and the home semi was cheap and at Blackburn???!!!!

Best 29 Rover-minutes in a long, long time. We played stunning, and that half-hour gave me the feeling there's no reason to fear relegation. Though...was it semi-final-inspiration or can we take this into the league? For this match, it was the perfect game-plan, but can we play so aggressive/dominant in the league too..???

Fact is that we have Dunn injured and Samba suspended for the following matches. We need to beat Wigan/Bolton at home, can we do that without them?

Giant positives: Olsson showed brilliance at moments, MGP in centre midfield was VERY GOOD and for the second (Chelsea at home) time this season we showed real PASSION.

Let's keep the faith.

• Backroom

In honesty I'm more confident of beating Wigan if Dunn is not in contention, he has offered us zero since his return imo

samba will be missed but he could do with a run out of the team

samba will be missed but he could do with a run out of the team

Ah...I completely forgot he'll be suspended.

I assume that will mean a defence of; Jacobsen Nelsen Givet Chimbonda. Maybe Salgado instead of Jacobsen.

I bet we're stronger with that line-up than Givet left back and Samba in the middle.

Archived