BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final 2Nd Leg

philipl

I didn't say "hoof ball" is ALWAYS the root of our defeats - though we have played this way all season and lost more than we have won!!

Those mood swings will be the end of you one day. You really are a big baby Paul. It's the bloody same every time we lose a match.

wtf is hoofball? If it's kicking it a long way then Messrs Dunn and Collins were as big culprits as anybody last night. We are out because ....

1. We defended at times like amateurs. Stuff any foul on Nelsen. Sh1t happens in a match. Worse refereeing decision was allowing both Heskey and Agbonlahores handling to lead directly to goals!

The decisive first goal came about cos Young was virtually invited and given too much time and space to cross and also after Nelsen missed it Heskeys nudeg helped it past/through 2/3 of our players before it got to Warnock.

2. Samba's abberation .... not in fouling Agbonlahore as much as losing him in the first instance!

3. Amateurish defending continued for the goal from the corner when it went past about 5 of our lot including Bert waving an ankle at the ball in the bloody 6 yard box ffs! For some reason no one appears able to attack, intercept and clear crosses into our box which is a handicap given the amount of time and space our full backs allow the opposition to cross in.

4. We have a very vulnerable goalie who made one good save but imo could have saved two of those goals.

5. Like Villa we didn't play for the first 45 mins at Ewood and Kalinic suffered some cruel luck with the woodwork. We went 0-1 down whilst Villa fortunately saw out their bad spell with the help of a dodgy refereeing decision and ending 11 v 10.

btw That sending off changed the match and resulted in making it less of a contest. I cannot defend Samba and I cannot fault the ref but inflexible rules need to be done away with. A major semi final that should have been an equal contest played in front of a full house and millions on TV was ruined as a spectacle for all by one mistimed tackle that imo was not dangerous and was completely intended to get the ball. It did not satisfy my personal definition of a 'professional foul' but the ref has simply no room for manouevre. These days the authorities and the media will not allow referees any latitude in decision making.

Nowadays all the colours within a game have to be viewed in black and white only! Laws is the Law even when it's an ass I'm afraid.

Just got back and everyone in our group said the same - after we scored the second we played deeper and deeper and the balls went longer and longer. It's like we didn't know what to do in the situation. We dominated the first half hour by playing proper football but you could sense a sort of nervousness after the second and it all but dried up. Only when we went 5 down did we really respond by playing again.

Easy to explain

We are more used to being 5 down than 2 up in the first half.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been pointed out that Ryan did go down a tad to easy, obviously the ref didnt buy it from the big Kiwi.

Rovers had players covering him. Because they failed to deal with it, we should repoint the focus on the referee. Just hope back in the changing room Allardyce is asking why they didnt deal with it rather than focusing on the referee.

Jesus JAL, give them a break, who can question their commitment??? They were rightly annoyed with the first decision, as a result I think Chris makes that challenge, at 2-0 he wouldn't, but that's life.

Of course BS will take them through the issues, but come one? 6-4 Away, on telly with 10 men on our budget? Aren't you in for kicking a man when they are down?

Please put it in perspective and not check out the square root of a gants arse when it isn't that constructive.

:tu:

The BBC commentators talked about Robbo for England, JAL talks about him going from Ewood for not being good enough :rolleyes: The mind boggles.

It all boils down to 1 thing again - his replacement & who could we replace him with that isnt going to cost us a bomb & is going to be around for the next 8 years like him.

YOU didnt see it!

First man Nelsen - Fouled

2nd man Samba - Handball by heskey

3rd man - let Warnock in....

2 fouls prior to the ball reaching Warnock!

As for the 4th goal - it hit agbonlawhore's elbow and changed direction (Was going wide) - therefore the ref & lino had to decide & again missed it!

As Gareth Southgate stated, "If the goal is given to Agbonlahor then it is hand ball"

... It's what the rovers of old used to do. They fought for the shirt and the club's pride. It's people like you that ruin the game for well-meaning fans. If they were 'lucky' goals, Id agree. But they were well-crafted and Olsson's was pure class!

Spot on.

Players may come and players may go but the spirit of the club goes on forever.

This club is rooted in the heart of real England. Since before the wars of the roses and through to the Lancashire Pals regiments our part of the world has always embodied a fighting spirit, it's why we get upset when folks don't try and when they just spend their energy bleating and moaning rather than getting out there and making things happen.

The makeup of the town and team may change over time but the spirit of the place still seeps into the soul. It's in the club via us the supporters and after last night I think it's emerged in this crop of players.

Last night is what it feels like to be a Rovers supporter. Sure we lost but we found our dignity (to paraphrase someone else).

Couldn't be more proud of the performance. I'll say something very foolish here but I'd take a loss any day of the week for a performance like that.

This is who we are, men down and still fighting.

What a night! And surreal entertainment.

The diamond formation worked superbly but as others have said we did not know what to do when 2-0 up away from home.

Samba at fault my arse...he and Nelson were split by an overhead clearance/pass from the half-way line and did well

to get his telescope leg as close to the ball.

Nelson,Pederson,Olssen,Emerton were colossal -the disappointments were Dunny,Chimbonda and the wastrel that is Benny.

But a Glorious defeat that will go into the memory bank and will give confidence to most of the players.

I am not a fan of coming onto other clubs boards and rubbing it in peoples faces, so i'll leave it as...

I thought we were going out when it went 2-0, Blackburn played really well and am sure shoe on other foot i'd have massive grievances about our game, the only defence i'll put forward is if we'd been given one of the pens and scored it, and us all entered into this game 2-0 who knows if Blackburn would even have came into it with the same belief, this has the attention as it's second leg but over both both sets of fans would potentially have ended it with massive gripes.

Anyways, commiserations, I do think you can take many positives from the game tho, to be honest my main desire to be in this final was for City to get there and then get Gareth in the final...

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Thanks Tom. BUT you lot keep bollocking on about 2 penalties at Ewood yet never mention the two excellent efforts that hit the post and could have left you 2-1 down do you? How would your team have fared mentally at 4-1 down and down on away goals? No one will ever know of course but one thing that I do know is that your manager is an ungracious little Irish twot that I'd love to smack in the gob. He never ever gave BRFC on ounce of credit for fighting on when down to 10 men and ultimately making the match an excellent spectacle. All he mentioned was those 2 ###### penalties and how magnificent his team had been.

It would be nice one day to play you with 11 men, a fair referee and without the luck of the Irish. :tu:

Completely agree. I can't see much of Darth Paul's analysis that was wrong. In fact, if anything it was rather kind.

But then you would do wouldn't you Jan?

I agree with Nogs remarks about the Samba sending off. It changed what was brewing up to be a ding- dong end to end game that both teams had a chance of winning into a game where ultimately there was only ever going to be one winner. It's in effect a treble punisnment because along with the penalty and sending off we'll be with out one of our best players for 3 games.

That's not what people had in mind when the changes to the laws were mooted years ago. Fans with long memories will recall it was the Paul Allen incident in the Cup Final when he was tripped outside the area but clean through on goal that brought an outcry and a change in the rules. The pendulum has swung too far in my opinion.

Just got back and everyone in our group said the same - after we scored the second we played deeper and deeper and the balls went longer and longer. It's like we didn't know what to do in the situation. We dominated the first half hour by playing proper football but you could sense a sort of nervousness after the second and it all but dried up. Only when we went 5 down did we really respond by playing again.

Havent seen the game, but this is a characteristic of Allardyce which does not suprise me one bit. This alone shows why Allardyce will never ever win anything.

Not sure how you can criticise Robinson without seeing the goal.

In fact, he was doing everything correctly, standing tall in front of Agbonlahor and preparing for the shot only for Samba to make a stupid and unnecessary challenge.

Robinson had a fine game last night although questions have to be asked about the 4th (or 5th goal ?) from a corner when the ball was bundled into the net after no one challenged the cross in the 6-yard box.

Was going to mention this point also - still think Robinson was too slow coming off his line considering he hadfull view of the incident - he could have made the decision for Sambe easier.

However my turn on things

Make no doubt about it - last night turned on the strength of a bad officials but this game was not lost last night - just goes to show what can happen and why you should go for victory in both.

Samba's sending off - not into those blaming him - he had to make a challenge due to the hesitancy of Robinson and the awful positioning of all the defence, people would have been screaming if he hadn't - the question has to be was it wasn't it - one of those that go for or against, however was he really the last man considering that we had players either side and agbo the whore missed his kick and was already falling before the contact if minimal.

Olsson - good to see he is being considered as a winger instead of LB - something I pointed out when I first so him in the reseves - agree with Heinz post in wishing all the players cared as much as he showed our MOM if not for the gaame.

Nelsen - had a good game but yet again showed his weakness at crosses coming in and how he gets underneath and caught out by the flight - should have been stronger but was still a foul.

Pedersen - showed he may provide an option in the centre but only as a stop gap and needs more steel to his play if so.

Givet - certainly better in the middle than at LB

Kalinic - looking better each game

Reid - thought he played well when he came on - doubted he would be fit for premier after the injury on his return but posiive signs there.

Rovers overall - showed how poor we are trying to be defensive and how easily we collapse and teams find it easy to score against us - on the otherhand showed we can actually play and have players that can do so and look dangerous.

Dunn - still not fit and possibly injured again.

Officials - when is a putting hands on the back of a player not a foul - when its agbon the cheat on Nelsen but if its Samba in the Villa box, a foul every time.

Rovers Fans - top drawer - outsung Villa for the majority despite the considerable difference in numbers.

Villa Fans - as per many others - give it all but stum when their team was being battered

Villa team - showed they are not all they are made out to be

Abbey - for the first time in ages I have to disagree with your good self - despite my feelings towards Sam though he had it spot on even, though I still think we should have started with x2 strikers - whether he told them to sit back at 2 up is debateable, however, maybe it will open his eyes now to what we can actually do and there is no harm in actually trying to win a game.

I thought most of the players gaver their all, my only disappointment was Bert MKIII and Chimneybob.

Obviously devastated that we did not go on to win after being 2 nil up but I was proud of the contribution that Blackburn made to this game. This game is one that will be remembered by neutrals and Blackburn fans for along time.

I was dissapointed with Sam for his comments after the match. Though there is some truth in what he said, the way he said it does not reflect well on himself, nor more importantly on Blackburn Rovers. If he wants to have a go at someone it should not be the ref who made an honest judgement call in almost impossible circumstances but the Villa player who allegedly deliberately cheated.

Correct but in Agbonlahores defence ..... we had no defence. :wacko:

Sour grapes.

Just old enough to rem tragic events of the past which lead to the Taylor report numpty.

Havent seen the game, but this is a characteristic of Allardyce which does not suprise me one bit. This alone shows why Allardyce will never ever win anything.

I think you should go away and watch the game JAL. It was a fantastic team performance, they showed true grit and fought for the cause. Olssen was out of this world, MGP supported and liked up with him very well from central midfield, Kalinic is improving game by game, Ryan Nelsen was a rock even though his central defensive partner had been sent off. We passed the ball about very well and played some good football mixed with the 'direct' stuff.

Please, watch the game on iplayer and come back to give your true opinion.

Jesus JAL, give them a break, who can question their commitment??? They were rightly annoyed with the first decision, as a result I think Chris makes that challenge, at 2-0 he wouldn't, but that's life.

Of course BS will take them through the issues, but come one? 6-4 Away, on telly with 10 men on our budget? Aren't you in for kicking a man when they are down?

Please put it in perspective and not check out the square root of a gants arse when it isn't that constructive.

We should have won being 2-0 up.

Rather than pointing the finger at one player, and one referee, we should look at everyone. Ask why we didnt win.

Just dont but these cheap throw away lines 'staying up is priority' 'they have a bigger budget than us' 'the referee cost us' when you've conceded SIX goals FFS. Is professional football about conning the public?

Samba's limitations have been exposed over recent months but I'm worried about the prospect of the combination of Givet and Nelsen in central defence in the next few games. Neither have physical presence or pace.

Be just one match won't it?

I'll tell you onething about Samba. He is the exception to the rule 'white men cannot jump'.

And another thing. He goes smaller when he's goping for a ball in the air. He should only be used to stand in front of opposing goalkeepers at corners to block their vision.

Samba at fault my arse...he and Nelson were split by an overhead clearance/pass from the half-way line and did well

to get his telescope leg as close to the ball.

As a defender if you go on your backside you have to get the ball. Doing "well to get close" ain't good enough, a miss is as good as a mile.

It was a high-risk decision and he screwed it up. He'd been better off staying on his feet and putting teh bloke off.

Didnt see the game but hearing we were 2-0 up and then lost 6-4 is very disappointing. We made Villa look good, 2-0 up should have been game set and match from our multi million pound paid players .

Then to hear Allardyce blaming the official is pathetic, especially when O'Neil correctly points out that they should have had two penalty's at Ewood park.

When Samba was sent off were was Robinson as Agbonlawhore raced in on goal ? was he rooted to the spot just like he was against Bent at Ewood, or Kalou in the quarters. Robert Green showed us only days before what you've got to do when somebody like Agbonlawhore races through on goal, out quick, make the goals smaller and bag your opponent up. Seems Mimms and Robinson just arent capable of figuring it out, if so, then BOTH should be bombed out of the club.

It was critical moment in the game obviously you've got to ask were was Samba and Nelsen when he got away, and how was the ball played through to him in the first place, but Robinson has shown alarming weakness when it comes to dealing with a one v one situation.

Just knew Brads understudy isnt a 'good un', just a pity we had our frailties aswell.

You've a bit too much to say for soembody who didn't see it.

Fair play to Warnock for not celebrating too much when he got Villa's first goal (based on what I saw on the box) Having perhaps been at fault for our first goal he probably had every right to go bonkers after getting Villa back into the game, but credit where credit is due he kept it low key. The man is pure class.

Samba at fault my arse...he and Nelson were split by an overhead clearance/pass from the half-way line and did well to get his telescope leg as close to the ball.

Of course Samba was at fault.

1) He was caught square and flat on his heels by Heskey's speculative lob.

2) He had no need to slide in for a risky tackle because Agbonlahor ( a poor finisher) still had Robinson to beat. A better defender would haver run alongside Agbonlahor and used his body to put him off balance.

I'm not Robbo's greatest fan but I thought he did well last night. He couldn't do much about the first, made a good attempt at the pen. I was disapointed with the third, but we conceded plenty like that one even with Brad in goal. The fourth was deflected just inside the post, he lost out on a one v one with Heskey for the fifth and for the last Young put his shot right in the corner.

Do you never have the lingering feeling that Freidel would have saved 2 of those?

Samba's sending off - not into those blaming him - he had to make a challenge due to the hesitancy of Robinson and the awful positioning of all the defence, people would have been screaming if he hadn't - the question has to be was it wasn't it - one of those that go for or against, however was he really the last man considering that we had players either side and agbo the whore missed his kick and was already falling before the contact if minimal.

He'd have been better off letting agbonlahor shoot because I'd rather be still with 11....we were still in front....

For the first time in along time I was happy to nail my colours to the mast and say I’m a Blackburn Rovers supporter.

The players came out with the right attitude and actually played for the shirt and it nearly paid off.

But on the back of last nights performance the question has to asked, why don’t they put that much effort in on a regular basis? I’m now even more convinced that they’re not playing for the manager. The carrot of playing at the new Wembley obviously spurred them on last night, but will that sort of performance continue? I doubt it, but time will tell.

Samba deserved to go, last man and a clear penalty from what I saw. He can count himself lucky that hes only just been sent off, because hes been on the brink for several weeks now with reckless tackles in and around the area.

Olsson was excellent on the night, a real success story for me from the 2 legs.

Lets hope we continue to see improvement.

Do you never have the lingering feeling that Freidel would have saved 2 of those?

Honestly? No, I think Robbo was magnificent last night. He is showing his class recently and, as far as I'm concerned, the only thing he really needs to work on is the occasional poor decision and crosses.

The 6th goal was a lovely piece of skill by Young.

Young has no left foot so Nelsen correctly covered his right foot as the forward moved into the area. Young then did a shimmy which threw Nelsen off balance and created a gap for Young to slot the ball into the corner.

Young is deemed to be having a poor season but he's tormented us this season.

Standing too far off and allowing him a free cross is not the best way to play him. We wouldn't do it with Beckham so why let Young have all that time and space?

Archived