BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Potential Summer Transfers (2010)

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grella.

2 years ago - signed for €4m

2 year older & far more injury prone - sell for £2m

Not the worst business considering how little we have seen from him!!

Another part of Ince's mark dealt with - we had already got shut of Villanueva & Simpson - Just Andrews & Robinson of his time here remain!

Yeah, on a striker. The good thing about Grella's sale, is that he doesn't need replacing.

Well sort of. Nzonzi has replaced him but we do need someone partner Stephen in central midfield who can pass the ball. If we can get Guti in to do that that is a good shout.

Thing is say Guti wants 60k a week that is probably 30k more than Grella was on. Divide 2 million ove 30k and you get 66.6 so actually that 2m would get eaten up in just over a years wages.

That's where I see the money going.

Still not sure that we are in a financial position to sign Lewadowski, Guti and Beattie/Benjani which I think is Sam's ideal summer outcome.

edit - we probably need to shift Chimbonda too who I think must be on around 40k a week. That would mean possibly we could get Guti and two strikers with no change to the wage budget (if you take Reid and McCarthy into account). I wonder if Gala need a right back?

Was watching Australia v Denmark and one of the commentators was talking as the deal was already done. Shame, as Grella is decent. Just that since he signed for us he has been constantly injured. At least it may be some funds to spend elsewhere.

this would be a great deal for us

however someone mentioned he wouldnt need replacing - yes he would . we have lost steven reid and if we lose this guy we would very much be struggling - we cant rely on keith andrews either

a fair assessment. it baffles me when he gets slagged off on here, he's a quality player when fit (which unfortunately isn't often, though this isn't his fault - it's not like he doesn't look after his body like dunny). if this frees up some funds for transfers other than the 3 b's then great and i wish him well in the future.

He's been an established midfielder in Serie A and you dont become that unless you are decent, which Grella is imo. Obviously his ridiculous injury record has contributed to his unpopularity but I think there is also an element on here who would never accept him as he was signed by Ince.

Not often I'm glad to see a good player leave but in this case I am.

The replacement is called GUTI. He's been mentioned quite a bit recently.

as central midfielder in for central midfielder is concerned yeh it is probably is - but there completely different central midfielders . i just cant see guti flying in with the tackles . i still think a central midfielder like this is needed - especially as steven reid has gone aswell

A player of Guti's calibre is well worth the £60k wages that have been mentioned on here, even if he is approaching the twilight of his career. Furthermore, we probably wouldn't even need to make room on the wage bill to accommodate him, now that Grella and Reid look to have been shifted. Unfortunately, I can't see him wanting to sign for us.

as central midfielder in for central midfielder is concerned yeh it is probably is - but there completely different central midfielders . i just cant see guti flying in with the tackles . i still think a central midfielder like this is needed - especially as steven reid has gone aswell

Provided we get Guti, we have central midfield options of Nzonzi, Guti, Dunn, Emerton, Andrews and possibly Pedersen. I hear where you're coming from but Grella and Reid havent been fit for several seasons and we've coped reasonably well without them.

Another week to land Lewandowski....a proper centre forward.

Tell him about the tradition; the Polish people who settled here;the similar weather;the training set-up

AND the 20,000 Season Ticket holders.

Get him landed pre-10th June. Barmy Army. Come On.

20,000? am I missing some sarcasm in your post?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Hey Wen. I have to business trip Japan this autumn. Perhaps I should time it for a Rovers game. Is there a Rover karaoke bar in town ?!

Hi there. I've added a reply of sorts on the Rovers Fans in Japan thread. Feel free to continue the chat over there and PM me if need be.

Is that tongue in cheek?

Or is When Why Who really Japanese?

As long as iamarover keeps his tongue in his own cheek, I don't mind, SAR. My guess is he was a little worse for wear when he posted... :lol:

Provided we get Guti, we have central midfield options of Nzonzi, Guti, Dunn, Emerton, Andrews and possibly Pedersen. I hear where you're coming from but Grella and Reid havent been fit for several seasons and we've coped reasonably well without them.

Re-writing history slightly to call it coping. We've coped largely by avoiding midfield due to how poor-slash-unfit-slash-injured it is. Grella could be a loss and if we don't manage to convince Guti, which is entirely possible, we'll be left with:

Dunn - quality but perennially injured

N'Zonzi - decent but would be our only holding player

Andrews - good grief

Linganzi - yet to come in

Emerton - not really a CM

Pedersen - definitely not a CM - possibly an inside left of a five

I'd be very concerned at that choice at the start of next season. Slightly better if Guti came but will he really be the panacea?

Perhaps we'd see Salgado become a holding midfielder?

After that it's more of Robbo's long kicks and trying to win throw ins.

Before people get on my back about it being effective. Yes, it appears so but I would like us to look like we have some kind of football ethic. The teams around us will be, and are, strengthening. To stay in touch the football may have to get even uglier.

Beattie for 1 Mill is worth a dabble I think. I just have a feeling he would do well, something to prove and all that.

I'm inclined to agree. I think £1m for a Premier League striker who has scored as much as Beattie has is pretty decent. Not saying he's prolific. If he was he'd be worth much more than £1m. As a person he's undoubtedly a prize winning pr1ck. But i like a striker to have arrogance. He'd make a nuisance of himself amongst opposition defences and his over inflated ego allows him to keep putting himself in goal scoring positions when others might shrink or hide. At £1m he represents good value. If he cocked it up here i'd be pretty sure we could recoup most of that fee. In an ideal world we'd be aiming higher. But for what we need and the names we're linked with i'd sooner see him than Benjani or the other candidates.

we have players who can play there but i still feel central midfield is a weak point in our team - even tho grella hasnt turned out to be good value for money i actually felt when he was on the field we looked fair strong there - by that i mean someone who isnt afraid to tackle - we are going to miss therefore thats why i feel a tough tackling midfielder is needed to replace grella ...

if we get guti and have andrews and nzonzi and stand by that trio of central midfielders we would be struggling really bad in my opinion ..

I know ideally you want your players brought in early on in the summer to bond with the squad, get a full pre-season etc.

However, would like to see us take our time over buying a striker, as opportunities can present themselves once clubs (especially the bigger ones), have bought their targets.

Simplified way of looking at it and could also potentially provide us with good loan options too (midfielders as well).

A player of Guti's calibre is well worth the £60k wages that have been mentioned on here, even if he is approaching the twilight of his career. Furthermore, we probably wouldn't even need to make room on the wage bill to accommodate him, now that Grella and Reid look to have been shifted. Unfortunately, I can't see him wanting to sign for us.

I'm not sure about this. Wasn't there a 5 million hole in the wage bill that Warnock's transfer fees helped cover? If so, wouldn't the hole still be there?

Assuming that's correct, then we needed to make up 100,000/week in wages. Benni and Reid get us to the 60-70,000/week range. Grella probably closes the gap and our wage budget would be balanced.

After all of that, now we have to find room for Guti's wages, and hopefully Lewandowski's and not so hopefully Beattie. I'm assuming that Guti is 60k/week, and that Lewandowski would be 25k/week and Beattie 35k/week. That's a 120k/week back in the hole.

Which is a good reason not to sign Beattie, and to sell a few other players (such as Chimbonda, one of the extra goalkeepers, and someone else).

According to reports in the press today, Pullis has said 2m or he goes in an exchange deal for Andy Carroll, to that I say send him to the barcodes.

Surely Stoke would give them money also few millions. It seems like they are desperately pushing Beattie to us. For me it´s Benjani much rather than Beattie.

Archived