BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Might Have Been Sold?

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fife I'm genuinely shocked. ohmy.gif

And I'm genuinely annoyed Theno. It is probably the only thing that sends my BP up sky high these days, when I think back to how football used to be the the "peoples game" i.e. cheap and cheerful and you just lived from one Saturday to the next almost salivating at the thought. Not any more, you dont!!!!!!

And I'm genuinely annoyed Theno. It is probably the only thing that sends my BP up sky high these days, when I think back to how football used to be the the "peoples game" i.e. cheap and cheerful and you just lived from one Saturday to the next almost salivating at the thought. Not any more, you dont!!!!!!

It'll always be the peoples game mate. That's the beauty of it... when you get fed up with the big timers, you can always slink back to some local park football and rediscover what is great about the game.

Personally, playing the game is what brings me the most joy.... and I dread that fast approaching day when I will no longer be able to play it.

Nicko, when Dan Williams was sniffing around the club, did he put forward a bid? I heard at the time the Trustees were looking at selling for £35m and rejected a bid for £25m. I may be wrong.

Williams was talking about £45 million for the club...and picking up the debts. However that was three years ago.

Williams was shooed out by the club and trustees and only then did he use (operative word) the press.

Totally inaccurate.

Williams was talking to the club and took fright when the story came out.

The club - chatting rather loudly in some places - were the cause of the leak.

You may recall a week after the original story Williams and his backers were still having meetings with the club - but were spooked that it came out again.

Let's not re-write history.

No, it wasn't.

Here is the LT of 18 June 2007 referring to your Sunday article just before (as always the LT running behind- I think we can agree on that).u

I don't think the Rovers or the Trustees were responsible for this little gem:

The website for DJW Ventures, Williams' venture capital business, referred to the Spring 2007 acquisition of Blackburn Rovers for over $100,000,000' as being DJW's highest profile and also most significant investment' to date.

That was where the Dan Williams effort first burst into daylight.

Another slant on football clubs for sale from Michal Taylor, editor of NW Business Insider Magazine:

My link

Surely, the value of Rovers to a prospective buyer is directly linked to players wages and the need to stay in the Premier League.

Only when the club can reduce the pecentage of wages to turnover by some distance will Rovers be an attractive (i.e. profitable) buy.

And that, as John Williams has pointed out, is not something Rovers can do unilaterally and expect to stay in the Premier League where the big TV money is.

If wages can be reduced and TV money remains the same or increases then I suspect the Trust may be less inclined to sell up.

Until then it's a sugar daddy of one sort or another. And we can see how well that plan's going at other comparable clubs....

I really do wish the Trust would just accept Jack's legacy and accept the fact they are going to make or lose a couple of million each season (easy for me to say, I know!), depending on results, cup runs, players sales, etc.

The website for DJW Ventures, Williams' venture capital business, referred to the Spring 2007 acquisition of Blackburn Rovers for over $100,000,000' as being DJW's highest profile and also most significant investment' to date.

I think it was established at the time that this was a hoax...the story first came out in the Sunday People and that was not from Williams, who refused to admit he was Williams when a rather exasperated hack tracked him down in the US of A.

To be fair to Williams he didn't want the news out there.

The club had been in talks with him for some time before the tale broke...and a short time after.

Sad to say, I remember the whole drawn-out episode all too well.

It's like Japanese water torture, a little bit of news continually dribbling through, with no promise of anything better in the pipeline, but a continual reminder that our current custodians cannot wait to get shot.

After having read that NW business article, I feel the need to break out the prozac.

What makes you think the price would be below 25m if Rovers are relegated? If that happened, various players would leave - for a fee. To be replaced by other players, probable cheaper. Then there is the parachute payments etc. 25m for a football club with the facilities that Rovers have is a good price. Though the price would be 45m. because of the debts that Rovers have.

I never said anything about the price being below 25m and never even implied it.I am as shocked as most to think that Rovers could be bought for 25m.I merely thought that IMO it would be better business to buy a club once it was assured of PL status next season.

Here is the LT of 18 June 2007 referring to your Sunday article just before (as always the LT running behind- I think we can agree on that).u

Refering to that same LET article you have posted the link to, the following paragraph is from

But a deal is not believed to be imminent, and the Williams consortium is only one of several groups from both Britain and abroad thought to be interested in launching a takeover.

Out of curiosity, is it known who these other interested parties were. I believe chowdry (spelling) was one (whatever happened to him?) but others?

I never said anything about the price being below 25m and never even implied it.I am as shocked as most to think that Rovers could be bought for 25m.I merely thought that IMO it would be better business to buy a club once it was assured of PL status next season.

You did not say anything about the price. But other posts have mentioned the club is for sale for 25m. What you said was basicly why buy the club now when the possibility of relegation still exsists. That could imply that you think that if Rovers were relegated then the price could drop. I suggest that 25m is the price wiether Rovers are in the prem or the championship - so no need to wait to see what division Rovers are in for an investor / buyer to buy etc.

I know there is an attempt to sell - at a lower price - and there is interest. But talk, as usual, is cheap.

Nicko, do you think if the Trustees become seriously desperate to sell, that the price would drop even further? I wonder if they will decide to sell for 1 pound, or will they be looking to recoup some money, and drop the asking price to less than 25mill

I will repeat what I have posted before. Concentrating on price is seriously misleading- price ranks relatively lowly in the list of conditions the Trust has to comply with in a disposal of the Rovers and there have been many posts on this MB over the years by others who are much closer to the club than I am which voice the same view.

I will repeat what I have posted before. Concentrating on price is seriously misleading- price ranks relatively lowly in the list of conditions the Trust has to comply with in a disposal of the Rovers and there have been many posts on this MB over the years by others who are much closer to the club than I am which voice the same view.

That list is a secret list - supporters probable know that there are conditions the trust have to comply with, but what they are, is a mystery thanks to the silent treatment the trustees have given to the supprters.

Archived