BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Might Have Been Sold?

... but still the prevailing sense of total doom and gloom.

white_elephant.gif

why have you drawn a see through nellyfant?

didnt hear the full story on talksport yesterday but h and j had a "banker typy" talking about in the next three years EVERY prem club would be a tasty cash cow to take over. why? have i missed something thats happenning? or am i being a ballon?

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I left out the price - but someone else heard the samefigure and posted it elsewhere. That tells me the figure is correct.

The Arab chap who was approached has another business deal on just now and is considering the Rovers idea...but I am not holding my breath. By the sounds of it there have been at least THREE interested parties in recent weeks. That is an unusual amount of activity behind the scenes.

I do think there is [obviously] more chance of finding a buyer if the price is at its current level. And, of course, that could yet drop.

There are other people out there who want to buy a Premier League club, so it's a matter of the right people getting together. I know there is a Chinese group hovering around - but I haven't heard of any contact between them and Rovers. Yet.

Who are the other two interested parties????

We need somebody like Randy Lerner or Ellis Short to buy the club. That why i suggest somebody like Paul Allen. owns sport teams in the states and WAS the co-founder of Mircosoft with Bill Gates.

Who are the other two interested parties????

We need somebody like Randy Lerner or Ellis Short to buy the club. That why i suggest somebody like Paul Allen. owns sport teams in the states and WAS the co-founder of Mircosoft with Bill Gates.

There seems to have been a group from the Israeli part of the Middle East too. I won't go into details as that info was from a PM.

And the 'people' who met the players in Dubai last month were the other potential movers. That part checks out with other info from the Marple Leaf fella on his blog. He got the price and other major details right.

The Arab guy I heard of makes it three different possibles.

There could be more.

There seems to have been a group from the Israeli part of the Middle East too. I won't go into details as that info was from a PM.

And the 'people' who met the players in Dubai last month were the other potential movers. That part checks out with other info from the Marple Leaf fella on his blog. He got the price and other major details right.

There could be more.

Just PM mean Prime Minister of Israeli?

Just PM mean Prime Minister of Israeli?

Ha ha very good (Personal Message incase your not being sarcastic)

Nicko - so the players have met with the potential owners in Dubai? What was the price, I must of missed that bit.....

Ha ha very good (Personal Message incase your not being sarcastic)

Nicko - so the players have met with the potential owners in Dubai? What was the price, I must of missed that bit.....

Am I being thick here? I know the players are being reported as having met with the potential purchasers but why? Who was vetting who? If I wanted to sell a club I'm not sure I'd let the players in on it until it had gone much further than we might like to buy you if the price and conditions are right.

I just hope to God it's someone like Randy Lerner

He is making sure that he can get all his investment back out of the club and put firm timescales on it. Obviosuly he can afford to let them lapse a bit if he is still in a good position.

I could see him getting bored if City tie up the 4th spot and there is no CL to play for.

It makes me smile that people desperately want to be in the Premier League but seem to want an ownership structure from a hundred years ago, as in some benevolent local man made good. Jack was a one-off even 20 years ago. Since then the money flooding into the Premier League has completely changed the equation.

If we want to stay at this level, we're going to have to put up with the kind of ownership that now comes with the territory. Either a businessman who isn't a fan but thinks he can make it pay, or some overseas entity who have something they want to promote to the watching hundreds of millions around the globe. Both more a lot risky than Billy Bancroft and his chums, but there are no other options in the multi-billion pound business that is the Premier League.

One thing is for sure: under a completely disinterested Trust, we won't be staying in this league for too much longer.

As for the more you spend, the more success you have - whats the excuse for Liverpool, Newcastle, Tottenham, Sunderland etc then?!

It's true that money does not guarantee success but it certainly isn't possible without it. And we must know that for certain more than any other group of supporters outside of Stamford Bridge.

Guest roverspogges

What a load of b##locks. We aren't getting bought and this thread shouldn't even exist, it's just paper talk.

There could be more.

Great, so we might be part of some Mossad set-up. Mohammed Al-Fayed and the bloke at Man City had better be careful. That is unless the Israeli is that Gaydemak bloke......

I doubt any will really make a move and we'll struggle on with the walker trust.

For some unknown reason I am scared of the prospect of over-seas owners.

I think what has happened at Pompey as well as man U and liverpool is a warning to every chairman in the football world, up and down the country. I also believe with rovers being run by the current trustees, that Rovers are in a far better position when looking for new owners.

Other people on here who know more about business than mere mortals like me, should I hope be able to confirm this. My understanding is that there is are ground rules that the trustees have to adhere too. Which would be a lot stronger than the prems fit and proper person test - this is guess work on my part. Ok I suppose the danger is how eager the current trustees are to get rid - do they care. It is ironic that it is Ten Years after Jack Walker's dying, that all this is happening now. Maybe a coincidence, or maybe something in the rules that were laid down by Jack to the trustees.

I also do not think that the prem would be happy for another prem club to go bust - it is a tad embarrassing - to the extent the TV people wouldn't be happy either. The latter could just walk away from the prem after the current deal is finished and go to say Spain or Germany.

As I said I am just a mere mortal with regards to business. But the curent Trustees have looked after Rovers for the past 10 years after Jack - maybe reluctantly - so I suppose we have reason to continue to trust them to find the right buyer for Rovers.

Great, so we might be part of some Mossad set-up. Mohammed Al-Fayed and the bloke at Man City had better be careful. That is unless the Israeli is that Gaydemak bloke......

I doubt any will really make a move and we'll struggle on with the walker trust.

Would bring an extra dimension to the Rovers/City derby though---Arabs v Israelis! pss-want a passport?

I've not had a very good year so far. All I need is for Rovers to be sold to some dodgy person from the Middle East (or, for that matter, some dodgy person from anywhere...)

Roversmum that is my worry exactly too. As we've seen from portsmouth and manure recently NO club is safe from dodgy investment. And if that happens, well we talk about it being curtains for rovers if we don't get investment and get relegated but if we get a dodgy investor there could well not be even any ashes to rise from. Seems like a damned if we do, damned if we don't situation.

I cannot conceive of why anyone other than a fan would want rovers, nor how they could make money from it in a way which isn't detrimental to the club. You only have to look at the sunderland set up - £48 million (i think) spent by Short for what - a team near the bottom of the table. Buying a premier league team requires a lot of investment even just to be mediocre.

The more I think about it the more I think I'd rather Rovers be in the safe but skint hands of the trust then gambled with on the market. I feel we've missed the boat for an investor to be a gamble with a half decent chance of success. When we had the last top squad - Benni, Bentley, Rocky, Sav etc. under Hughes guidance, and possibly just before the City money came in was our best shot at making investment work.

Roversmum that is my worry exactly too. As we've seen from portsmouth and manure recently NO club is safe from dodgy investment. And if that happens, well we talk about it being curtains for rovers if we don't get investment and get relegated but if we get a dodgy investor there could well not be even any ashes to rise from. Seems like a damned if we do, damned if we don't situation.

I cannot conceive of why anyone other than a fan would want rovers, nor how they could make money from it in a way which isn't detrimental to the club. You only have to look at the sunderland set up - £48 million (i think) spent by Short for what - a team near the bottom of the table. Buying a premier league team requires a lot of investment even just to be mediocre.

The more I think about it the more I think I'd rather Rovers be in the safe but skint hands of the trust then gambled with on the market. I feel we've missed the boat for an investor to be a gamble with a half decent chance of success. When we had the last top squad - Benni, Bentley, Rocky, Sav etc. under Hughes guidance, and possibly just before the City money came in was our best shot at making investment work.

For Short read Bruce.

Archived