BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolverhampton Wanderers Away

Illogical Bryan. I cannot understand the lemming mentality that exists on here. You need more patience. Wait until he's using his players and not someone elses left overs before getting rid.

Rem contracts only run out with bad players, the gud uns get nicked.

Bloody hell, Thenodrog, with our transfer budget each season that could take 10+ years, I'm not sure I have that sort of patience.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the commentary on Radio Lancs we were well in control in the first half, and there was only going to be one winner. The problems started when we reverted to 4-5-1 and invited pressure.

It was a bad decision, and it cost us two points - simple as.

"According to the commentary on Radio Lancs" ie you didn't see the game! The problems started in the second half when we were pushed further and further back way before we went to 4-5-1.That's why the formation was changed. But we still went for the game and created the chances to win it. The pressure ebbed because we had more control of mid-field. What you are writing there is creative fiction designed to bolster a prejudice you already hold. I was pleased we started 4-4-2 and it worked in the first half. But it didn't in the second. A good manager responds to a changing situation.

"According to the commentary on Radio Lancs" ie you didn't see the game! The problems started in the second half when we were pushed further and further back way before we went to 4-5-1.That's why the formation was changed. But we still went for the game and created the chances to win it. The pressure ebbed because we had more control of mid-field. What you are writing there is creative fiction designed to bolster a prejudice you already hold. I was pleased we started 4-4-2 and it worked in the first half. But it didn't in the second. A good manager responds to a changing situation.

Totally agree but people will blame Sam even when they didn't go to the game :lol: Kalinic should have done better with his header and things could have been so different. They didn't show anything on MOTD, didn't show our penalty appeal (or did Salgado slip?)

If we'd continued with two up front we could have actually lost the game with the pressure they put on us in the 2nd half. It was certainly a game of two halves.

Bloody hell, Thenodrog, with our transfer budget each season that could take 10+ years, I'm not sure I have that sort of patience.

No it wont. It'll only take a couple of years now. Obviously nobody has a 10 year deal and players contracts will run out whether we can afford transfer fees or not. We will simply have to continue with cheapo's and freebies as we have done since Allardyce came in. Overall he's done a decent job with such little buying power.

• Backroom

Totally agree but people will blame Sam even when they didn't go to the game :lol: Kalinic should have done better with his header and things could have been so different. They didn't show anything on MOTD, didn't show our penalty appeal (or did Salgado slip?)

If we'd continued with two up front we could have actually lost the game with the pressure they put on us in the 2nd half. It was certainly a game of two halves.

Is the kalinic bit tongue in cheek? I know he hasn't set the world alight with his goals but that wasn't an easy chance i thought

Is the kalinic bit tongue in cheek? I know he hasn't set the world alight with his goals but that wasn't an easy chance i thought

I suppose he was leaning back a bit but I still think he should have done better.

We didn't start 4-4-2 - it was 3-5-2. Which shows how much you actually saw, or how little you know about football.

Did you go, or just watch it on a dodgy internet feed? Again, I trust Wilcox's view - him actually being there and being a former Premiership player - over yours, who can't even tell what formation we started with.

And what YOU are writing is ill-informed creative fiction, designed to blindly defend BFS to the hilt. Hughesy now has TWO contenders .... ;)

No it wont. It'll only take a couple of years now. Obviously nobody has a 10 year deal and players contracts will run out whether we can afford transfer fees or not. We will simply have to continue with cheapo's and freebies as we have done since Allardyce came in. Overall he's done a decent job with such little buying power.

Where's the sarcasm emoticon.

I'm not disputing the job Sam's done at all, I was adamently opposed to him coming here and in the latest pole have even progressed to, not sure. So slowly he's winning me over, but slowly. His style goes against everything I impart on the training ground so you can't expect me to be 100% behind him as those are my beliefs about the game.

We only really have Diouf and Givet playing who are really Sam signings on a regular basis this year. hopefully Niko steps it up next year and adds to the Sam list.

I'm sure someone once got a 10 year deal, or near enough too, I wonder who that was?

Right click then select open in new window

We didn't start 4-4-2 - it was 3-5-2. Which shows how much you actually saw, or how little you know about football.

Did you go, or just watch it on a dodgy internet feed? Again, I trust Wilcox's view - him actually being there and being a former Premiership player - over yours, who can't even tell what formation we started with.

And what YOU are writing is ill-informed creative fiction, designed to blindly defend BFS to the hilt. Hughesy now has TWO contenders .... ;)

I don't blindly defend Sam to the hilt. I call it as it is.You can argue the formation all you like, even though you are totally reliant on Radio Lancashire, but we played with 2 up and it worked to half-time. I was thinking we were being over-run 2nd half and the midfield needed bolstering when the manager made the change. We played better after that. Catch a replay and view it impartially if possible.

I don't blindly defend Sam to the hilt. I call it as it is.You can argue the formation all you like, even though you are totally reliant on Radio Lancashire, but we played with 2 up and it worked to half-time. I was thinking we were being over-run 2nd half and the midfield needed bolstering when the manager made the change. We played better after that. Catch a replay and view it impartially if possible.

What he said. The 3-5-2 worked well in the first half, but Wolves were all over us in the first 10 minutes of the second half. Not sure if it was due to Dunn coming on or McCarthy changing something to counter our 3-5-2, but something had to be done, or we would've conceded more than the one we did. I was thinking about bringing Linganzi for Roberts at the moment, but I guess Andrews was the "safe bet". After the sub we reverted back to our usual away tactics by hoofing the ball into corners for Roberts to chase and praying we wouldn't concede. This time it didn't work, but neither was the 3-5-2 working in the first 10 mins of the second half.

The facts are we were leading comfortably, then sat back and let Wolves back into it. I know what Sam was trying to do, but we've been pretty awful at defending 1-goal leads against half-decent teams so I'm not sure why BFS thought it would work this time. We're safe, and trying to push as high up the league as possible. 1 point makes little difference to our finishing position whereas 3 would have been a pretty big boost, and obviously the higher you finish, the more money. In that context we should have been trying to go all out for the win, but Sam's ingrained - and undeniable - negativity came to the fore.

What he said. The 3-5-2 worked well in the first half, but Wolves were all over us in the first 10 minutes of the second half. Not sure if it was due to Dunn coming on or McCarthy changing something to counter our 3-5-2, but something had to be done, or we would've conceded more than the one we did. I was thinking about bringing Linganzi for Roberts at the moment, but I guess Andrews was the "safe bet". After the sub we reverted back to our usual away tactics by hoofing the ball into corners for Roberts to chase and praying we wouldn't concede. This time it didn't work, but neither was the 3-5-2 working in the first 10 mins of the second half.

Wolves were always going to have a period of domination. 10 minutes is nothing, and with numbers going forward we were always likely to pose a threat. Instead, like you said, we went to our usual modus operandi and tried to squeeze out a 1-0 - and we were rightly punished for it.

The home team will ALWAYS come out and be on top for the first 10 mins after being behind at half time. It's a natural reaction to the manager's b*llocking! If we'd have just rode that out we would have got back on top. Unfortunately BFS bottled it and reverted to type.

With all due respect, Nicola, you're tiny and you were several rows down anyway. It was those big guys in front of us that were worse. The stewards tried to keep the row in front of us clear to help a bit but the guys were so big that even four rows down blocked our view. They will probably mutter about us being 'old' and therefore not important but there were some younger supporters in the disabled area as well. A guy who knows us came and sat a row or two down and tried to get some to sit which helped a little although I know he is one who likes to stand so we were grateful for that.

John was very upset about the whole thing.

Indeed..... just like the Hughes exit did! :rolleyes:

Are you implying that:

1. Hughes and Allardyce use the same brand of football?

2. Paul Ince is a competent manager with tactical nous who just failed to recognize that Blackburn Rovers only chance of (very limited) success is to play like Wimbledon in the early 90's?

It's just so tiring hearing people use the Ince fiasco in defense of the way Rovers play right now. Ince had no experience, no tactical knowledge of the game and lost the dressing room (hinting at poor leadership skills). How does his failure prove that the Sam Allardyce way is the only way?

Your opinion is completely second hand, based entirely on what Jason Wilcox saw. At least concede that, as an arguing platform, it is hardly a convincing one.

Im pretty sure you stated that it was Sam's fault that the likes of Kalinic werent finishing decent chances, and that because Sam brought him here it was therefore his fault yet again. I think that about sums up everything in your argument. If you're desperate to blame Sam for anything and everything, then you're eventually going to find a way.

He made mistakes yesterday but the players in front of goal should have done a heck of a lot better. They didnt convert the chances, the blame is more with them then Sam on this occaision. His tactics and subs were suspect but we still created enough despite that to win the game.

Are you implying that:

1. Hughes and Allardyce use the same brand of football?

2. Paul Ince is a competent manager with tactical nous who just failed to recognize that Blackburn Rovers only chance of (very limited) success is to play like Wimbledon in the early 90's?

It's just so tiring hearing people use the Ince fiasco in defense of the way Rovers play right now. Ince had no experience, no tactical knowledge of the game and lost the dressing room (hinting at poor leadership skills). How does his failure prove that the Sam Allardyce way is the only way?

Sam's football is functional, boring, predictable but effective for survival. Ince's regime represents the risk we would be taking trying to play a more flowing game with the players at our disposal. It can obviously work and with a couple of squad changes we could definitely play 'better' football but it is a risk which we probably dont need to take.

Sam beat relegation last season and comfortably avoided it this season. As long as it works, i dont care how we play.

If we had Bentley, Santa, Warnock, Tugay, Brad, McCarthy, etc id be screaming at Sam for the way in which we are playing but i honestly dont think we'd improve our chances of staying up if we tried to play a prettier game, simply because we dont have the players to play it.

Sam's football is functional, boring, predictable but effective for survival. Ince's regime represents the risk we would be taking trying to play a more flowing game with the players at our disposal. It can obviously work and with a couple of squad changes we could definitely play 'better' football but it is a risk which we probably dont need to take.

Sam beat relegation last season and comfortably avoided it this season. As long as it works, i dont care how we play.

If we had Bentley, Santa, Warnock, Tugay, Brad, McCarthy, etc id be screaming at Sam for the way in which we are playing but i honestly dont think we'd improve our chances of staying up if we tried to play a prettier game, simply because we dont have the players to play it.

What 'flowing football' was this? I attended almost every game of the Ince regime, apart from a decent half of football at Villa and a see saw game at Goodison I don't recall much in the way of 'playing the game the right way'.

Sam is the ONLY chance we have at medium to long term survival in this league.

After today's results, how silly are the missed opportunities to win at Wolves and Pompey looking now?

What about the other chances we've missed?

Hoilett's against West Ham (H)

Kalinic's against Liverpool (H)

Samba's against Sunderland (H)

Kalinic's against Hull (A)

Kalinic's against Sunderland (A)

Roberts' against West Ham (A)

I could go on and on but it's not just the missed chances against Wolves and Pompey, it's happened all season. I've lost count how many times we've said "2 points dropped" rather than one gained.

Archived