BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolverhampton Wanderers Away

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Same old for us this season, looked like we were on our way to achieving something then tossed it away. Should have done better, could have done better, didn't do better.

Can't wait for this dreary season to end and for next season to roll around, hopefully with a few faces disappearing, some new ones in and a more positive approach :tu:

It certainly has been. However, given the events of last season I'm happy that we've re-established our status comfortably above the pack at (or near) the bottom, especially given the amount of money we spend in the transfer market. I agree that we could have bagged more points had he been more positive in his tactics but then who knows elsewhere that points may have been dropped?

Let's hope Sam gets his transfer targets this Summer and we can play more positively next season.

That's just not going to happen. With or without transfer targets Allardyce will play his style, he spent a whole treasure chest at Newcastle and still wouldn't change a thing. For better or worse, this is how a team managed by Sam Allardyce plays, whether it's Scunthorpe or Brazil.

Let's hope Sam gets his transfer targets this Summer and we can play more positively next season.

Second that. But I think he's just done himself out of about £2m today .... and I keep hearing that he's stepping down at the end of the season - partially due to his health, but also to replace Howard Wilkinson as Chairman of the LMA. Anyone else heard this?

What did Sam do wrong? And, more importantly what would you have done differently?? You can give me any formation/system you like with this squad of players and i will pick as many holes in it as you can pick in Sam's team today.

Are you complaining about starting 442? Then changing to 451 which actually led to us having more chances at goal?

Basturk getting a chance? Dunn replacing him?

Bringing Andrews on who then almost won us the game?

Sam cannot literally kick the ball into the net, that is the job of the players.

What does it take before some people accuse the players instead of the manager??

We didnt lose simply due to 'negativity' we lost because numerous players missed numerous chances, chances which should have been taken.

Sam's system/tactics/subs have every right to be criticised as much as anything else HOWEVER in this game we had the chances to win the game which the players didnt take.

Sam can be blamed for other results but for me, today, the players should be taking more flak for missing a hat full of opportunities.

There's no point of having this discussion. There's a handful of people on this board who will blindly support the manager in whatever he does or says. You appear to be one of them...

I will ask one thing though. Does it make you better people if you never question the manager or any of his decisions? Are you more likely to win the lottery or go to heaven? I'm not taking the p1ss here, it's a serious question. Oh, and while you're at it, can you tell me why I'm the only person in my family who knows how to put a new toilet paper roll on the holder when the old one is finished?

There's no point of having this discussion. There's a handful of people on this board who will blindly support the manager in whatever he does or says. You appear to be one of them...

I will ask one thing though. Does it make you better people if you never question the manager or any of his decisions? Are you more likely to win the lottery or go to heaven? I'm not taking the p1ss here, it's a serious question. Oh, and while you're at it, can you tell me why I'm the only person in my family who knows how to put a new toilet paper roll on the holder when the old one is finished?

I thought those who were against Sam were the ones who were being persecuted on this board???

I screamed at my laptop when Andrews came on, I begged for one of Hoilett or Di Santo to have partnered Kalinic in the second half instead of the joke Roberts. Sam definitely got plenty wrong, but so did the players who couldnt take a decent shot to save their lives.

There are people who blindly support the manager on this board, and there are also plenty of people who will do anything to take a pop at him. He deserves criticism for many things but not for everything. Not for everything that went wrong today. If Gamst or Roberts could strike a football then we may well have won that match.

Second that. But I think he's just done himself out of about £2m today .... and I keep hearing that he's stepping down at the end of the season - partially due to his health, but also to replace Howard Wilkinson as Chairman of the LMA. Anyone else heard this?

I did hear the rumour some time ago, not sure where though.

I was at the game today, first half it was Rovers game until about the last 5 minutes when hoofing it instead of keeping the ball kept us on the ropes.

The second half was end to end stuff really - Olsson had so much space down the left and wasn't really used, and Dunn was roaming a bit, but to go 4-5-1 was disappointing, especially when it just resulted in launching balls forward again.

Why give the ball away just to encourage another attack for the other team? 90 minutes is along time when you don't have the ball.

To be fair to Andrews, he didn't do that bad when he came on, at least he had two chances, the post shot was a good move, but I dispaired when he just passed it to Hannemann from 8 or so yards.

The defending for the goal was shocking - there was at least 4 Rovers players on the guy putting the cross in, yet it still made it, and a free header from 6 yards - rediculous.

Roberts had quite a good game today

Pedersen was by far the worst player, I've tried to defend him but he really does offer nothing. New contract should be ripped off on that performance. His free kicks are shocking, and he is the worst culprit for just kicking ti aimlessly forward

• Backroom

This season in the league we've had 16 games where we've scored no goals, 7 of which have been 0-0 draws.

In only 11/36 games we've scored more than 1 goal.

Yet we're currently sitting 11th, well clear of relegation.

Probably says more about the league than us :D

There are people who blindly support the manager on this board, and there are also plenty of people who will do anything to take a pop at him. He deserves criticism for many things but not for everything. Not for everything that went wrong today. If Gamst or Roberts could strike a football then we may well have won that match.

Not really, that's a caricature of a lot of people's views, I would contend.

Sam's done a good job in getting us to mid-table, yet he still manages to provide the fans with plenty of ammunition. Deep down, I suspect that it's his personality, his past with Bolton, and his cynical approach that put a lot of people off. It comes out more when we have lost, but it will always be there.

Not really, that's a caricature of a lot of people's views, I would contend.

Sam's done a good job in getting us to mid-table, yet he still manages to provide the fans with plenty of ammunition. Deep down, I suspect that it's his personality, his past with Bolton, and his cynical approach that put a lot of people off. It comes out more when we have lost, but it will always be there.

I agree with that, i think there will always be reasons for fans to take an unfavourable view of Sam's brand of football and its lack of attractiveness, which can be justified for many reasons. We have all been infuriated with some of his decisions during games. I just think the good job he has done to get us to midtable should overshadow his flaws.

I also feel that the squad isnt any better then where we are in the table. If we had better players in the team then id probably be very dismayed at the brand of football being played, however this squad has had its creativity ripped out of it over the past 1/2 years and so to expect an attractive, more flowing game isnt going to be easy with the players we have.

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce: "We are all very disappointed not to have clinched a big three points to finish as high as we can up the table and I think our finishing is to blame for that again. It has been a frailty of ours away from home all season and we haven't got the second goal to kill them off today."

:rolleyes:

Whats wrong with that?

We must have had at least 5 or 6 shots directly at the keeper (So poor finishing), we also hit the post twice & probably should have had a penalty!

We got 1 point, away from home in the premier league - reading some comments on here you would think we have just lost 4-0!! Another point in the bag - just disappointing we couldnt defend better late on and keep the clean sheet.

Oh also - who was marking Ebanks??

Im one of Andrews biggest critics and to be fair to him today - he did pretty well when he came on and was very positive.

Forget Di Santo on, or Roberts off or whatever, the problem was 1 moments lack of concentration from a simple cross - prior to that Wolves never looked like scoring!

I think a lot of people are secretly hoping he does bugger off at the end of the season, even though the guy who would replace him isn't guaranteed to do any beter, and in fact, may do worse.

Not "secretly" for me. I appreciate the points taken by Rovers under Allardyce, but I stand firm in the belief that we can reach similar results with another brand of football than the one we are employing now, and an Allardyce-exit would (probably) put that belief to an interesting test.

Not "secretly" for me. I appreciate the points taken by Rovers under Allardyce, but I stand firm in the belief that we can reach similar results with another brand of football than the one we are employing now, and an Allardyce-exit would (probably) put that belief to an interesting test.

We are not that good - take Dunn out of the team and there is a dearth of attacking quality (from our midfield and strikeforce).

Think Sam will always favour a direct style however we simply don't have the players to play more 'entertaining football'. Maybe in the past with players like Bentley/Bellamy but those days are long gone....

Define "interesting". We had that brand of Football and it was terrifying which is why the manager got fired. It ain't pretty sometimes this season but it is midtable and great displays against manure and Chelski. Bad day at the office today but it aint the manager we need to change , it is the owner. If we have an owner who cares about Football and puts real money into the club, we will be able to think about a new manager.

Honest question here: Who here would trade places with Wigan? They've scalped the Big Four numuerous times this season, played some really good stuff at times, but flirted with relegation most of the season. Would you take that over Sam's mid-table drudgery?

We had a different brand under Ince.......where did that get us?

Going off who is out their - who would you take over Sam?

I cant even believe this is happening considering we just took 1 point in a prem game, hardly end of the world is it!! :unsure:

With a squad including Friedel, Tugay, Bentley, Santa Cruz, Warnock and McCarthy you'd be right. With the players we have now i dont think we'd surive trying to play pretty football, as Ince tried to do.

If we had better players then id be with you saying that the football isnt good enough, however i genuinely dont believe that these players could effectively play a different way over the course of a season. Allardyce will keep us up. It will be no frills but effective, and i accept that.

I cant even believe this is happening considering we just took 1 point in a prem game, hardly end of the world is it!! :unsure:

Likewise how you throw a paddy the moment anyone raises an eyebrow.

Honest question here: Who here would trade places with Wigan? They've scalped the Big Four numuerous times this season, played some really good stuff at times, but flirted with relegation most of the season. Would you take that over Sam's mid-table drudgery?

I would! It's not like we haven't "flirted with relegation" earlier this season, and Wigan have reached their results with a brand new central midfield duo and some quite appalling players in their first 11. To be fair though, they have had a decent striker and a revelation named N'Zogbia on their team as well.

We had a different brand under Ince.......where did that get us?

Going off who is out their - who would you take over Sam?

The keywords here being "under Ince". Judging by reports he was a complete donkey with no knowledge of tactics, and those will always struggle regardless of what style they try to employ.

Oh, and I agree that 1 point against Wolves isn't the end of the world.

Archived