BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Playing In Sydney!

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Insiderover and then Nixon, SA had a fit after the PNE game, along the lines of back me or sack me. Which lead to the speculation about Heskey being our number 1 target.

Found it for you USA.

Thanks, all very interesting.

We looked a bit jaded yesterday in the first half, Rangers weren't that good, they had more of the possession but only 3 or 4 good chances (which they unfortunately scored two from). Worst offenders had to be N'Zonzi, and the anonymous Peders and Dunn (who looks like he has been at the pies again). Second half we were much better - Diouf and Hoilett looked threatening, Roberts held the ball well but little else and Emo looked lively when he came on.

I thought the game would have more people (14,000 odd) but I knew that the ticket prices were too high and this would put neutrals off. Don't know where all those Rangers fans came from, obviously a lot more convicts from there :lol:

Great to meet some of the board members too and the players after the game who came over to talk to the fans.

Bit of trivia for visiting Rovers fans; on one side of the Aussie $20 note is a woman called Mary Ribey, who came from Blackburn (although I think she was born in Bury, but for all intents and purposes we will say she is a Blackburnian.)

See y'all Wednesday - different pre-game pub venue needed as the Fox and Lion was full of annoying haggis eaters.

I thought the game would have more people (14,000 odd) but I knew that the ticket prices were too high and this would put neutrals off. Don't know where all those Rangers fans came from, obviously a lot more convicts from there :lol:

You should of gone to the Celtic game last season in Brisbane. About 30k of a 40k crowd were Bhoys.

From a personal view it was great to finally see Rovers play in my city and it was great to finally meet some of the Aussi based fans here. West Aussie even reminded me that he was the one who was sending video copies of our promotion season games back in 2001.

As for the game; Ouch. Where the hell are the goals coming from? I really worry about this season if we don't sort out a decent striker and maybe a midfielder quick smart.

Pre-match pub venue change

After my stuff up and sending Rovers fans to the pub that the Rangers fans were using I'm suggesting we move the fun to the Olympic Hotel, the meet up times will be the same but just to remind people;

Wednesday 28th v AEK - from 15:00 (kick-off 18:00)

Saturday 31st v Sydney FC - from 16:00 (kick-off 19:15pm). Although we could change that if people want to see the AEK v Glasgow game.

Also if people are about a few of us are heading to the Lord Nelson for lunch on Wednesday for food and a beer or three if you're interested.

Now to find out where Rovers are training so I can see them.

After my stuff up and sending Rovers fans to the pub that the Rangers fans were using I'm suggesting we move the fun to the Olympic Hotel, the meet up times will be the same but just to remind people;

Saturday 31st v Sydney FC - from 16:00 (kick-off 19:15pm). Although we could change that if people want to see the AEK v Glasgow game.

Also if people are about a few of us are heading to the Lord Nelson for lunch on Wednesday for food and a beer or three if you're interested.

Newington College, Stanmore: http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/NewsGallery/0,,10303~2101874,00.htm

I was there this avo for the afternoon session but it was a closed session in the gym. Just stared at them through the windows. It would be good to find out if there is a proper open session planned this week as its a bit weird turning up to a closed training session. Felt like a bit of a stalker. Watching them train though, you do get a very good indication of the groups and also who wants to be there and who doesnt!

Thanks, Steven.

For people out of town that might want to go there, make sure you go to Newington College Stanmore. There's a "Newington" close to the Olympic Stadium, and Newington college have a prep school on the North Shore.

There are trains (about four or five stops) and buses from the city to Stanmore, though I don't know how far the stops are from the college.

Thanks, Steven.

For people out of town that might want to go there, make sure you go to Newington College Stanmore. There's a "Newington" close to the Olympic Stadium, and Newington college have a prep school on the North Shore.

There are trains (about four or five stops) and buses from the city to Stanmore, though I don't know how far the stops are from the college.

If anyone has a club contact we should probably find out which of the training sessions are genuinely open sessions. As its on school grounds I can't see that Rovers or Newington College would be that chuffed with a load of Rovers fans wandering into their grounds.

If anyone has a club contact we should probably find out which of the training sessions are genuinely open sessions. As its on school grounds I can't see that Rovers or Newington College would be that chuffed with a load of Rovers fans wandering into their grounds.

Good point.

As school is "in" you might find yourself having a conversation with the Law for being on school premises. The coppers don't like strangers on school premises these days.

Just spoken to Lee G, the training sessions at Newington are OFF, so don't bother going there. He was unsure of where the sessions are going to be held.

No doubt info will be posted later.

You sure. Just about to head there

I'll be there to meet you all tomorrow arvo. Flying into Sydney 2pm tomorrow, hotel is about a 5 min walk from the pub. Pretty pumped.

Did any of you see Rangers and Sydney FC fans get stuck into each other?..idiots really but funny to watch

Can't do tomorrow night but hoping for Sat.

We didn't look up for it on Sunday but hopefully that's due to the travelling.

Couldn't help thinking we'll get spanked if our attitude was like this come season kickoff.

p.s we really need someone to lead the line even though Roberts battled hard

Weather not looking too good for tomorrow: :(

Forecast for Wednesday

A shower or two tending to rain periods during the afternoon,

increasing at night. Light northwesterly winds early tending

northeasterly and freshening near the coast in the afternoon.

Precis: Rain periods developing.

City: Min: 11 Max: 18 Parramatta: Min: 8 Max: 17

Terrey Hills: Min: 10 Max: 16 Penrith: Min: 8 Max: 17

Liverpool: Min: 7 Max: 18 Richmond: Min: 6 Max: 17

Weather not looking too good for tomorrow: :(

Forecast for Wednesday

A shower or two tending to rain periods during the afternoon,

increasing at night. Light northwesterly winds early tending

northeasterly and freshening near the coast in the afternoon.

Precis: Rain periods developing.

City: Min: 11 Max: 18 Parramatta: Min: 8 Max: 17

Terrey Hills: Min: 10 Max: 16 Penrith: Min: 8 Max: 17

Liverpool: Min: 7 Max: 18 Richmond: Min: 6 Max: 17

Should just be like Ewood then. At least the rubbish crowd means we can get the dry seats or just head to the bar at the back.

Steven you said "Watching them train though, you do get a very good indication of the groups and also who wants to be there and who doesnt!" - which players are you referring to ?

Where was the Rangers/Sydney trouble? - it all looked fairly peaceful as i was leaving.

Fair play to those who have come over from England, especially given it's winter here. Let's hope the lads give us a decent performance on Wed as they were poor on Sunday

Archived