BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Playing In Sydney!

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We played much better in the 2nd half. Jones and Hanley were centre backs so it was an inexperienced back line against a good team.

Iceman - I discount pre-season based on history, not just on this pre-season. Obviously it currently hurts because we are here now, but it will be quickly forgotten as is every pre season with every club everywhere.

I do remember some pre seasons - Newcastle getting beaten 7-1 by Leyton Orient but hardly losing at all during the season as they were promoted back to the premiership and, of course, Rovers famous pre season of 94/95 where we were beaten in every game.

Come September, whether doing well or badly, no one will refer back to pre season and indeed it will be long forgotten as pre season is just training, getting fit and trying formations for the main event.

One example. Well done.

There were hardly any times it happened, it's just the few examples stick in the mind of those that struggle to comprehend modern 4-5-1 systems.

Calm down, I didn't do a thorough analysis of every game we played in., just picked the first example off the top of my head. I have no problem with the 4-5-1 system we employ, and as has been stated before I think Sam should be commended for getting our squad up to 10th using whatever means possible. Case in point was Arsenal at home, specific tactics designed to exploit a weakness against superior opposition. Sam's ability to make us difficult to beat at home was also commendable. Of course, he loses marks for often being too cautious when wins were there for the taking, and on the road our form was poor, deplorable in the first half of the season even.

Oh come off it. I can't believe this has started already. We finished tenth because of the tactics we used last year, not in-spite of.

Virtually every successful team in top leagues/international football play one up front.

We need to alter how we adopt the approach because it's a little bit too direct at times, but the idea of one up front is absolutely the right way to go.

One example. Well done.

There were hardly any times it happened, it's just the few examples stick in the mind of those that struggle to comprehend modern 4-5-1 systems.

Even with that example, we went to 4-3-3, which has far more in common with 4-5-1 than it does with 4-4-2.

I don't have a problem with the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation, it's how we play it.

Lumping it up to Roberts where he loses the ball 9 times out of 10 just gives possession away and we are on the back foot. Teams who are successful using this formation keep the ball by passing it short and allow the midfield and the full backs to push up and join the attack.

9421 was the attendance which I don't think was too bad considering the driving rain! It will be double that on Saturday.

I agree with the comments that we need another striker, but also midfield was poor.

Keef played ok, and Dunny was kicked about a bit by their midfield and was down for a bit with a knock but played on. He was squaring up to their number 33 later in the first half but things calmed down a little in the 2nd half.

Not sure if the Chimbonda switch for Gael Givet was tactical or whether Gael picked up a knock, but he only lasted 35 mins.

I've added a few more photos on this link, that also include photos from Sunday's game:

http://cid-048695e1005ffb51.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=play&resid=48695E1005FFB51!2672&Bpub=SDX.Photos&Bsrc=GetSharingLink

If we don't win on Saturday I don't think I'll ever live it down!!

Don't know but he has had a very decent game.

Any idea who this might be? Someone on the forum?

image1be.jpg

Not sure who he is. I was sitting up with SteB and SydneyRovers in the Rovers end and this lad was all on his own on the wing. Fair dos to him, was absolutely belting with rain when that was taken.

Archived