SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Group A Discussion - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

SA can at least be proud of their contribution to the world cup, they drew a tough group.

France should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. Technically they are a far superior side to South Africa - it was obvious even in this match - but they lacked the spirit of the South Africans and had no desire to work for each other. They really looked like they couldn't give a toss and had given up before Gourcuff even got sent off. The French fans must be gutted to have such a disgraceful national team.

So proud of the SA team. Its a pity we couldnt finish the chances we created, but it was a very tough group. We are the 1st host nation to bow out at the 1st round. However, it would be interesting, if somebody could post the groups of previous WC, where the hosts were in. Mexico, Uruguay and France are all in the top 30 if im correct. We showed alot of fight, and were determined to end on a high. On another sour note, Raymond Domenech was a disgrace for refusing to shake Parreira's hand.

Without wanting to sound disrespectful to South Africa, there haven't been many host countries which haven't been a strong football nation. I'm not really old enough to know how strong certain nations were in the 1930s/40s/50s but obviously in recent years at the South Korea/Japan World Cup they had the following groups:

South Korea

United States

Portugal

Poland

Japan

Belgium

Russia

Tunisia

But I think South Africa can be proud of their efforts and so far have been amazing hosts. We haven't had any trouble, despite the media over reacting with the crime levels and how every fan will probably be mugged or shot at least 10 times per day :lol: and I think the whole tournament will leave a great legacy in African football.

Was strange being at the Mexico Uruguay game today, every so often parts of the crowd started wildly cheering for a Bafana Bafana goal. However the crowd had it at 3 0 at half time and 3 0 again shortly after half.time again. Hopefully it doesn't mean they all lose interest in the tournament now.

The Uruguay v Mexico game was really entertaining and there could be no question about them playing for a draw. Uruguay will fancy their chances to get to the quarter finals now. I'm glad that one of my dark horse tips is coming good! I think that the Mexico v Argentina game will be a cracker. The last time they meet at the World Cup it was a great game and I'm sure the Mexican's have revenge on their mind. I don't think that it will be easy for the Argentinians either.

As for South Africa I'm delighted that they won their final game. They deserved to have a win under their belts. They really did their very best, which cannot be said for France, who are a total disgrace. I actually found myself feeling a little bit sorry for Domenech the other day when the team wouldn't train, but then when I saw him refusing to shake hands with Parreria, those feelings quickly disappeared. What a complete loser. I hope that the ring leaders in the team are destroyed by the press and public when they get home.

The article looks more or less on target to me, with two exceptions. First, I doubt Muslim converts have anything to do with France's poor performance (and where Cohen got that idea I have no clue). Second, team USA are not paragons of virtue (though they are certainly much better than France and a few other countries).

France's football team are a bunch of overpaid, spoilt brats. Domenech is a loon. What this says about France, wiser heads than me will have to figure out.

Uruguay are a a good side all the way through. Forlan is clearly ace, but Cavani also looks pretty special to me, just the kind of player we need to play with Kalinic, but he will be well out of our range. would be do well in England. Good defenders as well...

Strange to think that, from the last four World Cups, France have only emerged from the group stages twice. On the two occasions they did emerge, they reached no lesser phase than the final!

They really are an odd footballing nation.

Corrected for you ET. :)

France is one of the best countries in the World, it has just about everything, mountains, coastlines, beaches, varied climate. Unfortunately the inhabitants spoil it.

• 4 weeks later...

What a top bloke Laurent Blanc is.

The French seem to be moving forwards again. What a stunning start from Laurent Blanc.

I'm going to see if I can find somewhere to put money on him as RFW's successor at Old Trafford. Not many managers in the world would have the balls (and decency) to do that.

I'm going to see if I can find somewhere to put money on him as RFW's successor at Old Trafford. Not many managers in the world would have the balls (and decency) to do that.

Lets not get carried away here lechuck .. it's good to see but it is only one meaningless friendly after all.

Archived