BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

So in the short time since Pedersen was offered a bumper new deal, both Petrov and Hitzelsburger have been released on free transfers? Both would have been within our grasp and both would have undoubtedly represented an improvement on Pederrsen.

More and more I'm starting to think that this move was a huge mistake by the club.

presumably the manager knew these 2 were in the pipeline and yet he chose to ask the club to re-sign Pedersen. therefore you have to assume that Pedersen is the player he thinks best suits us out of the 3. Now we can argue about our opinions and you may well feel that either of the other 2 were better choices for us, but the man who counts obviously doesn't. I'm tired of Pedersen being brought up every time we don't sign a particular player and someone else does. the guy is a scapegoat on and off the field for some people. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how much we pay Keith Andrews in this thread yet. Pedersen got what the club management felt he should. It's time to get over it.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting to read that Sheffield Utd may be interested in taking Bunn to Bramall Lane on a permanent basis. It would be nice if we could twist their arm to take Brown instead. we played brown ahead of Bunn last season so I think if we get a decent offer then we should snap their hands off. Paddy Kenny for £750,000? We should demand at least twice that for Bunn after the decent run of games he had there last season.

presumably the manager knew these 2 were in the pipeline and yet he chose to ask the club to re-sign Pedersen. therefore you have to assume that Pedersen is the player he thinks best suits us out of the 3. Now we can argue about our opinions and you may well feel that either of the other 2 were better choices for us, but the man who counts obviously doesn't. I'm tired of Pedersen being brought up every time we don't sign a particular player and someone else does. the guy is a scapegoat on and off the field for some people. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how much we pay Keith Andrews in this thread yet. Pedersen got what the club management felt he should. It's time to get over it.

We pay Keith Andrews? :unsure:

This is a stupid question, but does that mean 91% of our turnover went on wages? If so, that is dire. Truely dire. And that Pedersen should have been released.

Deloitte's Premier league analysis for the 2008/9 season it includes the following table showing wages paid to gross revenues.

ManUre 44%

Arsenal 46%

T*ttenham 55%

Stoke 56%

Liverpool 58%

Boro 59%

Everton 62%

West Brom 65%

Hull 66%

Bolton 69%

Fulham 69%

Sunderland 77%

Chelsea 80%

Villa 84%

Barcodes 85%

Wigan 90%

Blackburn 91%

WHU 91%

Citeh 95%

Pompey 109%

[Edit] Sorry not quite on topic but does show why we have limited funds for transfers that endless random chat that appears on here in regards to finances..

The point is that our rivals can afford to buy better players than us. If we could afford someone like Darren Bent last season we would have competed for Europe. Instead, the club is stuck in a continued rut of having peanuts to spend each season. It's no wonder we end up selling our best players when we have no financial reward for finishing higher than budgeted.

In a rut? Surely if we were in a rut then we would have finished the same as the season before or worse, not 10th?!

Our rivals could afford more last season - still didnt stop Sunderland, Stoke, Wolves etc all finishing below us did it!!

The only reason we dont have more from our final position is for the reasons iv already given. I just wish the Trust would throw us a £5m-£10m gift - it would make it so much easier!!

In a rut? Surely if we were in a rut then we would have finished the same as the season before or worse, not 10th?!

Our rivals could afford more last season - still didnt stop Sunderland, Stoke, Wolves etc all finishing below us did it!!

The only reason we dont have more from our final position is for the reasons iv already given. I just wish the Trust would throw us a £5m-£10m gift - it would make it so much easier!!

Weren't they going to fund the transfer if we went in for Adam Johnson before he went to City?

...or have I dreamt that up? :huh:

Did you even read what I said? I'm talking about our meagre budget every season. Even when we sell our best stars for over the odds, only a small % returns to the squad.

Didn't stop Birmingham & Everton finishing above us.

Reading through your reasons anyone can see those figures don't add up.

Although I take your point regarding us having Darren Bent but, as for our rivals, are they any better off for it? I dread to think how much money teams like Sunderland (and Spurs up until the recent better management) have wasted.

Except we have a manager who, so far, has a decent record in the transfer market. A little extra cash would make the world of difference between Benjani/Beattie and Lewandowski. If most of our money is evaporating into the wage budget, then we should take a long, hard look at the pay structure of the club.

Except we have a manager who, so far, has a decent record in the transfer market. A little extra cash would make the world of difference between Benjani/Beattie and Lewandowski. If most of our money is evaporating into the wage budget, then we should take a long, hard look at the pay structure of the club.

And do what exactly? Cry about it? accept it? or deny it like plenty of people on here seem to do. If we want to maintain a succesful premier league team then we're going to have to pay premier league salaries. I see no way around that. It means that the money left over has to be spent as wisely as possible. Is it a nice situation to be in? No. Is it worth 3 pages of pointless discussion on the transfer topic? Not really. Will it ever change? Only if we get bought out. That is that.

Why cant people stop trying to whinge and whine about our transfer budget, nobody on here wants to see our manager have no money to spend but what do people expect? Did you like your cheap season ticket last season? Enjoy the 2nd cheapest tickets in the entire football league? Would you rather we end up in the mess that Portsmouth/West Ham have go themselves into??????

Now, targets. Where is GUTI......

Blackburn 91%

WHU 91%

Citeh 95%

Pompey 109%

So we're in with the widely acknowledged basket-cases and our plan is to recruit a Real Madrid midfielder who will add another 7% of turnover onto the wage bill just on his own.

Rather than talking about who we might sign, we should be talking about who we can get rid of, but then we never shift fringe players mid-contract because no-one else will pay them as much. Chimp wants to stay? I bet he does.

Not sure how Bolton and Fulham get by on 21% less, assuming our turnovers aren't that different.

For how everyone raves on about JW and the rest, its pretty shocking we pay so many average players such a high wage.... :rolleyes:

Typified with Pedersen. Knew he couldn't find better elsewhere and decided on the 11th hour that his heart was always set on Rovers. *choke*

That is from 08/09 season. A few players will be going/gone. Not saying it wont be high. But 91% may well of changed.

If we could not afford Guti, JW wont let it happen.

But according to Hughesy we couldn't afford Salgado either, but that went through?

Iv explained this before & hopefully JW will put it in black & white on thursday to confirm this.....

1. There is a £5m that needed cutting off the wage bill - last season we covered that by the difference in Warnock/ Chimbonda deals
  2. From this season onwards - that £5m will be covered by the extra TV money....however that doesnt mean the board wont want it cutting furter.
  3. Money in the pot - is basically the Benni money
  4. Salgado - Wasnt budgetted for & the board/ JW backed Sam on that choice - effectively it worked as we finished 10th
  5. Players receive bonus payments based on several things - such as top 10 finishes
  6. The extra TV/ placing money earned last season therefore went on Salgado's wages + Bonus payments
  7. As all the above now makes us a trading club - its then a case of wheel & deal for sam - he has the benni money + anything he raises if he sits fit...and he also is safe in the knowledge that he wont be forced to sell ANY of his players if HE doesnt want to!!

One thing doesn't make sense - both JW and SA indicated that finishing higher up the league would add to the money in credit from the McCarthy sale. Also - though they didn't budget for Salgado - Benni being removed from the wage bill for half a season will have surely covered Salgado for the second half of the season. I await with interest what JW has to say on Thursday.

Lets not forget we had a further £1m from the usual TV appearance money - something has seriously gone wrong. Though Salgado proved a success in the second half of the season - having a third right back wasn't worth losing the amount of money we appear to have.

Well having just returned from Puerto Banus i was sat next to MGP in a restaurant. Didnt say anything to him as he was busy entertaining and was on his jollies. However, i am pretty sure the guy sat next to him was Marcus Pedersen. Heard the word Blackburn a few times between one another, also heard him say Torres is class but too injury prone.

Also out in Puerto Banus were plenty of idiotic Brum players. Cameron Jerome being one of those toss*rs!!!

However, i am pretty sure the guy sat next to him was Marcus Pedersen. Heard the word Blackburn a few times between one another.

Hypothetical question - would the new contract for MGP be justifiable if it ensures Marcus Pedersen signing?

Well having just returned from Puerto Banus i was sat next to MGP in a restaurant. Didnt say anything to him as he was busy entertaining and was on his jollies. However, i am pretty sure the guy sat next to him was Marcus Pedersen. Heard the word Blackburn a few times between one another, also heard him say Torres is class but too injury prone.

Also out in Puerto Banus were plenty of idiotic Brum players. Cameron Jerome being one of those toss*rs!!!

MGP IS in Marbella for his hols.

Hypothetical question - would the new contract for MGP be justifiable if it ensures Marcus Pedersen signing?

As gumboots said earlier, Morten's new contract is justifiable because the Manager wanted him what further justification does anyone want? :angry:

So we have a manager, who has got us to 10th place, but who isn't bright enough to know which players he should offer contracts?

My original question was directed more at those who feel MGP is underserving of his new contract, and if this would appease them a little more. As it is, I happen to agree with you and trust our manager's judgement (maybe too much).

Did you even read what I said? I'm talking about our meagre budget every season. Even when we sell our best stars for over the odds, only a small % returns to the squad.

Didn't stop Birmingham & Everton finishing above us.

Reading through your reasons anyone can see those figures don't add up.

Why do they not add up?

Everton are in the next group...Brum despite their massive spending actually earned less from last season than us.

Only a small % comes back when we havent got other problems....such as a % sell on to Arsenal or a relegation problem the season before + a load of compo to pay out!! I know its frustrating mate...trust me I feel the same way - but rather that way than do a Leeds!

For how everyone raves on about JW and the rest, its pretty shocking we pay so many average players such a high wage.... :rolleyes:

JW has consistantly stated that we are trying to get the wage % to turnover down and that it isn't currently at 91%, I believe he said something like 80% but that was still to high. JW a difficult job, he has to balance keeping a viable wage structure against keeping the manager happy in light of no transfer funds and keeping up with the rest of the PL who seem intent on pushing up wage prices. I would much rather we stayed up and had a high wage turnover than go down with a low one. We have to pay good money to good players and sometimes it is worth breaking a % barrier to get that player.

Our wage bill should decrease a fair bit in that we are shifting a bit of dead weight this summer, Reid especially is on a nice little wage.

I would rather we target a player like Guti and then look at making savings after. He isn't the type of player we can just get another one of if we miss him.

Archived