BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

were,s nicko i was hoping for an update about who we are chasing and who not coming :rolleyes:

Written english really isn't your strong point is it ? I can't really see Nicko being on here much whilst the World Cup is on.

Written english really isn't your strong point is it ? I can't really see Nicko being on here much whilst the World Cup is on.

To be fair, he is a rooster. Pecking out the words, presumably. Not bad considering!

I installed tapatalk yesterday lol, love it.

Ok what is tapatalk.

There are other things to report on, write about than the world cup. There is still a transfer window open during that time. there is still other football / sport news. If his news reporting stops at the world cup, then he would not earn enough. a good jouralist at this time of year, looks around for other news, as that is where the scoops are.

Guest roverspogges

If Tuncay Sanli can recreate his epic 40 goals per season form he showed for me in championship manager about 8 years ago then he'd be a quality signing.

If Tuncay Sanli can recreate his epic 40 goals per season form he showed for me in championship manager about 8 years ago then he'd be a quality signing.

As long as Big Sam and the gang know what training settings to put him on at least...

As long as Big Sam and the gang know what training settings to put him on at least...

Maybe he could recommend us a potential scout from former club?

In real life or in championship manager?

This Pedersen guy sounds exciting are we known to be highly interested or just lukewarm about him

Ok what is tapatalk.

An app - it allows you to add messageboard accounts, such as your brfcs one and gives you a very quick & easy to use version via an app.

Check the iphone 3gs thread - its all in there! :tu:

Ok here's what I said....

Iv explained this before & hopefully JW will put it in black & white on thursday to confirm this.....

1. There is a £5m that needed cutting off the wage bill - last season we covered that by the difference in Warnock/ Chimbonda deals
  2. From this season onwards - that £5m will be covered by the extra TV money....however that doesnt mean the board wont want it cutting furter.
  3. Money in the pot - is basically the Benni money
  4. Salgado - Wasnt budgetted for & the board/ JW backed Sam on that choice - effectively it worked as we finished 10th
  5. Players receive bonus payments based on several things - such as top 10 finishes
  6. The extra TV/ placing money earned last season therefore went on Salgado's wages + Bonus payments
  7. As all the above now makes us a trading club - its then a case of wheel & deal for sam - he has the benni money + anything he raises if he sits fit...and he also is safe in the knowledge that he wont be forced to sell ANY of his players if HE doesnt want to!!

Here's what JW's Q& A session said -

Key points –

• Any funds would need to be generated from trading…(Doesnt mention the Benni money - but he has already suggested that was protected)
  • Budgetted for 13th….not including Salgado – with Salgado that effectively makes it 11th – which suggest £1.6m for him (£30k a week)
  • No stars need to be sold - simply trading to improve.
  • The new Tv deal covers the £5m wage hole – which last year was plugged by selling Steven Warnock
  • Santa Cruz money went on - Season before – we budgeted for 9th, we actually finished 15th, we also receieved poorer than planned TV money, + the signings of Kalinic, Givet & change of management teams.
  • circa £50m of playing assets to trade with

Supporter response holds the key to low ticket prices. We are running at about £10m lower than the mid ranking teams through low prices – although if numbers remain high & we continue to improve then its sustainable.

Currently 12th in the wage table – moving to a more sensible 65-70% wage balance would mean lowering this significantly and therefore missing out on targets

Takeover – The situation is fluid, real interest & talks continue.

First time that JW has ever confirmed that there is "real interest".

From what I hear we have 5 million to spend, however, if JW has virtually said that its just the Benni money, then it would mean that Grella's sale will bring it up to 5 million.

Takeover – The situation is fluid, real interest & talks continue.

that sounds positive, and like Bobby has said, its the 1st time he has come out and confirmed that we are in talks :tu:

that sounds positive, and like Bobby has said, its the 1st time he has come out and confirmed that we are in talks :tu:

I agree, it's good news that we actually have confirmation of talks taking place. I also like the way it is being dealt with, well away from the media! I may be jumping the gun but if JW is willing to confirm talks are taking place then it must be solid interest and in the best interest of the club if JW is seriously talking to the party(s) interested.

Am I imagining things, or did Sam and JW not say that they we had a significant transfer kitty this summer because of the improved league position and the sale of McCarthy? Why, if we can only generate funds by selling assets, did Sam bid £2.5m for Dindane (or was this the McCarthy money)?

If this is the case, then one of our big names is going to have to go, because we simply cannot rely on two strikers!

[*]Budgetted for 13th….not including Salgado – with Salgado that effectively makes it 11th – which suggest £1.6m for him (£30k a week)

[*]The new Tv deal covers the £5m wage hole – which last year was plugged by selling Steven Warnock

Hughesy -

1. Would the loss of Benni off the wage bill not meet part of Salgado's wages ?

2. I thought the new TV deal was more that £5m

I guess that he hasn't expanded on what level of money is actually available for Sam. I think it is probably more than just the Benni money if the right player becomes available - and Sam can make a good argument to the board. It is probably a battle between a need to stay in the Premiership and a need to reduce the % of income spent on the wage bill.

Why, if we can only generate funds by selling assets, did Sam bid £2.5m for Dindane (or was this the McCarthy money)?

If this is the case, then one of our big names is going to have to go, because we simply cannot rely on two strikers!

McCarthy money!

We need to be more creative, rather than sell our best players.

We have plenty of fringe players/ injury prone players who we need to shift on - then we can re-allocate that money to something that actually brings benefit to the team. We have got rid of Di Santo & Reid....here's hoping Grella & a few other fringe players leave.

Hughesy -

1. Would the loss of Benni off the wage bill not meet part of Salgado's wages ?

2. I thought the new TV deal was more that £5m

I guess that he hasn't expanded on what level of money is actually available for Sam. I think it is probably more than just the Benni money if the right player becomes available - and Sam can make a good argument to the board. It is probably a battle between a need to stay in the Premiership and a need to reduce the % of income spent on the wage bill.

Probably yes - so perhaps Salgado earns closer to £45k!? :o

The new TV deal is slightly more than £5m, not as extreme as some papers have made out though!

In January the Trust were willing to back a 'future asset' signing, but would they now that their is interest in taking the club off them?!

Am I imagining things, or did Sam and JW not say that they we had a significant transfer kitty this summer because of the improved league position and the sale of McCarthy? Why, if we can only generate funds by selling assets, did Sam bid £2.5m for Dindane (or was this the McCarthy money)?

Yes, there is an inconsistency here.

JW did say the Benni McCarthy money was available plus any money we make for finishing higher. Now it has bee said the higher place money is actually paying Salgado.

Also regarding wages I am confused. If we had a £5 million shortfall last year that is fine. However we have now lost McCarthy, Reid and (hopefully) Grella. That in my book would add up to around 100k a week, so around 5 million a year. So presumably we now have that 5 million to spend on wages and transfer fees if that shortfall is now covered by TV money?

But shifting those players won't give us any spending power, it'll just cut down a wage bill which, at the moment, is too high.

Realistically then, all we can really hope for is one player to be brought in for c. £2.5m. These days that won't even get you a good Championship player. How we even compete in this league is beyond me. I guess we're in for another depressing close season.

EDIT: Joey, just read your post. Glad I wasn't imagining things!

Fair play to JW for coming out and explaining the situation - however, there are more holes in his figures than in Rab C Nesbitt's vest such as the McCarthy money + wages, the budgeted position and the wages saved on Reid and Di Santo to name two so far.

Having said that, it does tend to be the same every transfer window so we should be used to it.

Yes, there is an inconsistency here.

JW did say the Benni McCarthy money was available plus any money we make for finishing higher. Now it has bee said the higher place money is actually paying Salgado.

Also regarding wages I am confused. If we had a £5 million shortfall last year that is fine. However we have now lost McCarthy, Reid and (hopefully) Grella. That in my book would add up to around 100k a week, so around 5 million a year. So presumably we now have that 5 million to spend on wages and transfer fees if that shortfall is now covered by TV money?

Did JW not say 'If we hold our position then it would secure the Benni Money and make it available to Sam'? or something to that effect?

Reid & Grella are this window - they are part of the 'wheeling & dealing' that Sam is trying to do to create funds & space on the wage budget. The Benni money is thier to spend too!

But shifting those players won't give us any spending power, it'll just cut down a wage bill which, at the moment, is too high.

Come on!

We shift Reid & Grella who are on say a combined £60k, bring in a replacement on £40k - doesnt that free up £1m in wages?! Which can effectively be used as part of the fee we spend!!

Archived