BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

I don't really know the figures, Hughesy. If we're to significantly cut the wage bill though, then shaving £20k isn't exactly a big reduction. In any case, we could half the wage bill and the manager still wouldn't receive any money to spend.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so the Mcarthy money is there for sam to use (£2.5m) + the money for finishing also now 1 place above budjet (750k) this years 5m shortfall in wages in covered by the new tv money and the key to cheap tickets is us the fans , so to simplify we have around £3m to spend improve the team from last season

so the Mcarthy money is there for sam to use (£2.5m) + the money for finishing also now 1 place above budjet (750k) this years 5m shortfall in wages in covered by the new tv money and the key to cheap tickets is us the fans , so to simplify we have around £3m to spend improve the team from last season

Fantastic :wacko:

Or to take it another way ... your £3.25 million in the pot less the new increase in wages if Guti signs on a free, the TV money plugs the existing hole not the new hole. Then there's a signing on fee, so if J Cole is anything to go by this will be a big'ish number.

So it's not too outrageous to speculate that our transfer pot is actually the Grella transfer fee plus his wage. Now which striker can we sign for 2 miilion Euros I wonder?

On the bright side if we just added Guti this transfer window I'd be happy enough, we can save the rest of the money until Xmas when we've seen how the 'Goals For' number works out.

Fantastic :wacko:

and , as someone else has posted we have upto 8 first teamers entering the last year of their contracts...........now more than ever we really need the academy to produce

TimmyJimmy, you'd be happy us going into the new season with just two strikers on the books, one of them being Jason Roberts?

Not ideal I agree but think about it, Roberts is OK (he brings something different to the table and is a good impact option), Niko will only get better (losing him to an injury would be difficult to cope with I agree), Hoillet is also knocking at the door. Then there's the formation to think about, with one up front again this year and Dunny in the hole I guess that he also qualifies as a striker (?).

Olly must be good for a few goals from midfield given the way he finished off last season. Set pieces are centre stage for us so the aerial power of the big guys at the back they will chip in with a few goals.

I was hoping that the two and a bit million Grella money plus wages would have brought us Lewandowski as a hot prospect striker, guess Sam did too.

But there's time. I was really encouraged by the finish to last season, just adding Guti to the mix is going to take things up a notch or two so personally I'd wait until Xmas before panicking. You never know, Lech Poznan might come to their senses when they realise we have no money :-) Could this be the SA/JW plan?

Is this a fact? I've read back but can only find an assertion by a message board member.

Ignore me, I just found and read the article.

Would that be the same message board member who, at times , quite forcefully insisted that we were budgeting for 13th during the last campaign ?

Would that be the same message board member who, at times , quite forcefully insisted that we were budgeting for 13th during the last campaign ?

Sure would be - and backed up by JW in his Q&A session today!

The same person who told you Salgado hadnt been budgetted for & that Sam convinced the board.

The same person who tells you MGP is NOT on 50k a week!! :brfc:

We might not have to sell players to now balance the books, but its looking certain as we have virtually no budget that we have to sell to bring any decent players in. Bringing in Guti will probably have the same effect we had with Salgado, another big wager earner straining our wage budget, leaving a hole in our finances and meaning in Jan or the summer we will have to sell a player to cover it.

Forget Guti and look elsewhere, it might benefit us in the short-term but in the long term we will pay the price for it.

Time to get those scouts working and looking for some unknown players or some gems that we can develop and sell on for a profit, with our current financial situation it's the only model we can carry out. We can't afford to bring in players with no resale value.

2 strikers?

rovers forwards-

nikola kalinic

jason roberts

david hoilett

david dunn(in the hole)

that`s before getting to young promising prospects like jason banton who`s knocking on the door of a first team squad place. if we start next season minus grella, reid, emerton, zurab and sign nobody i`m still fairly positive about our prospects as a club moving forward. jack`s aim was that we signed up young talent and brought them through, now is the time for us to be doing that with the money gone. i see no reason for us to be signing someone like guti on huge wages and raising the bar league placing wise to something we may struggle to meet.

2 strikers?

rovers forwards-

nikola kalinic

jason roberts

david hoilett

david dunn(in the hole)

Kalinic- Young, talented but still developing. Question marks on whether he can reach his full potential with the players around him or the tactics.

Roberts- Not good enough as a starter. Only really useful when coming on as a sub against tired legs. His goalscoring ability is terrible.

Hoilett- Another youngster that is still developing. Not sure Sam knows his best position yet, whether as a winger or a striker.

Dunny- Decent when fit and in form, but how often does that happen.

We need at least one striker in this window in my opinion.

Kalinic- Young, talented but still developing. Question marks on whether he can reach his full potential with the players around him or the tactics.

Roberts- Not good enough as a starter. Only really useful when coming on as a sub against tired legs. His goalscoring ability is terrible.

Hoilett- Another youngster that is still developing. Not sure Sam knows his best position yet, whether as a winger or a striker.

Dunny- Decent when fit and in form, but how often does that happen.

We need at least one striker in this window in my opinion.

i`d say IDEALLY we`d bring in a striker, but if the budget won`t allow for it then we should not stretch beyond our means as we CAN manage without. the bonus there being that the young players you refer to WILL get the game time they need to develop and not be hindered by an experienced player(with no long term future at the club) in their way.

oh, and by the way, i missed one off. diouf is also a very good experienced option as a striker if needed, so that makes FIVE possibles for the forward role.

nikola kalinic

jason roberts

david hoilett

david dunn(in the hole)

Hoilett & Dunn aren't recognised strikers and would struggle to play up top if we're sticking to 4-5-1. We do need one new striker at the bare minimum. Looking at our finances, Boyd is becoming more appealing by the minute.

Wrong... I too thought we had approx £6m+ to play with until my source put me straight and told me all the info I put on here.

How much is our pal Pedersen actually on?

Forget Guti and look elsewhere, it might benefit us in the short-term but in the long term we will pay the price for it.

not sure i agree with this RVR. Guti will be short term, but i understand your thinking in terms of money being potentialy wasted. Imo, if Guti still has the energy and guile to do well, then the short term fix, will be a success for us.The Guti signing, represents another positive for us, because it again opens up the club to potentialy recruting good players. Salgado, for all the moaning by some when he signed, will only have a positive spin off, because players will be excited to play for the same team where Guti and Salgado played(and im not talking about Real Madrid) :tu:

To state the obvious we're not going to be able to compete in this league for much longer without investment. The season after next would be my bet.

The likes of Brum, Hammers, Stoke, Wolves etc will all freely spend £5+ million on one player where as our transfer kitty is approximately £2.5 million.

Our close seasons are just so depressing.

Archived