BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Frank Fielding Called Up For England!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this anti Capello stuff is starting to grate a little. Yes he should shoulder the blame along with the players for the World Cup debacle but up until those few weeks he's been a winner throughout his long career.

In this case all he's done is given a chance for a couple of U21 keepers to train with the England squad. Not a bad move.

Call me old fashioned but I used to think the players who played for England were the best English players in the country. :rolleyes:

So is Rob Green any better?

Fielding is the U21 goalkeeper and is seen as a future England keeper so why not give him a game in a friendly?

Rob Green is better otherwise Fielding would be playing regularly in the Premier League :wacko:

Green has played nearly 400 league games in his career and is an established first team goalkeeper. Fielding has been on loan to lower division clubs and is fourth choice at Blackburn.

Don't get me wrong, it's great experience for Fielding and will obviously gain a lot of experience teaming up with the England squad and being around players like Gerrard, Lampard, Terry etc but he isn't good enough to get on our bench so it seems silly that he could potentially make his debut for England before having played a league match for Blackburn.

Some fans on here, including myself, were saying recently that he should be sold because he isn't good enough.

Good luck to him, as a Rover i'll be supporting him but as an England fan, I think the manager has lost the plot.

Call me old fashioned but I used to think the players who played for England were the best English players in the country. :rolleyes:

I thought his problem was picking the "best" players in the country. You have highlighted his main problem, THERE ARE NO GOOD PLAYERS TO CHOOSE FROM.

He either picks the "stars" that don't perform or he picks players who are too young / never play / are rubbish.

TGM, these posts are doing my head in. It's seems it's carte blanche for idiots to assume they know better. I have heard:

"out of his depth"

"plonker"

"Crapello"

"trying to get sacked on purpose(???)"

"we need an Englishman"

Jokers.

http://www.football365.com/mailbox/story/0,17033,8744_6304437,00.html

http://www.football365.com/mailbox/story/0,17033,8744_6302934,00.html

A few letters from F365 summing up the anti-Capello rubbish better than I have here.

I think any manager, fan would have pretty much picked the same England squad that Capello took to South Africa, give or take the odd player, because they all play for the top clubs in England and prove they are great players by consistently performing at a high level week in week out. In qualification he pretty much used the same players and we had a good run of results.

For some unknown reason all the players failed to perform at the big stage. Usually you get the odd player not performing for one game but the whole team didn't perform for all four games. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that something was majorly wrong behind the scenes. Now in the media we are starting to hear the problems that are coming out from the England players such as his half time team talks, failure to motivate the team, off the field problems at their base camp etc.

I'm not defending the players either, they were awful and have to share the blame but we all know that they aren't awful playing for their club sides. If Capello cannot transform their club form to the international team then he isn't the right man for the job.

That's my opinion anyway :)

Good luck to Fielding, I hope he learns a lot and benefits from the experience and I hope Blackburn also benefit from this.

I think any manager, fan would have pretty much picked the same England squad that Capello took to South Africa, give or take the odd player, because they all play for the top clubs in England and prove they are great players by consistently performing at a high level week in week out. In qualification he pretty much used the same players and we had a good run of results.

Not sure that's true. A lot of players in that squad have been playing International football for years and have never ever repeated their club form at that highest level. You would have thought multiple failures from this so called 'golden generation' would have meant some major changes and rebuilding but this clearly hasn't been the case. Capello may have picked a couple of youngsters this time round but come the qualifiers he will be back to those overrated losers.

Frank Fielding,local lad, should be the No2 for Rovers. His loan periods have been very successful.

As part of getting behind our new youth policy we on this Board need to overcome our hypercritical judgement on local players.

Not sure that's true. A lot of players in that squad have been playing International football for years and have never ever repeated their club form at that highest level. You would have thought multiple failures from this so called 'golden generation' would have meant some major changes and rebuilding but this clearly hasn't been the case. Capello may have picked a couple of youngsters this time round but come the qualifiers he will be back to those overrated losers.

It's not like we had a queue of quality players knocking on the door is it? This bunch of players did perfectly well in qualifying, granted it wasn't a hard group but we still disposed of Croatia with ease and did infinitely better than under McLaren.

And previous to this we had the Euro 2008 debacle which, especially given the subsequent record in the WC 2010 qualifiers, was put down to McLaren. An underwhelming WC 2006 where we still were within a shoot out of the semis, and the previous two tournaments (WC 2002 and Euro 2004) we played pretty well.

You can't blame Capello for taking the bulk of those players to the World Cup especially since they'd served him well in qualifying.

Even now they need to be phased out rather than disposed of all at once, they can be relied upon to do a solid job in qualifying as they did before. Bringing in a whole load of new faces all at once who've never played together is going to lead to some seriously underwhelming performances and a load of potentially excellent players being written off by the press.

Frank Fielding,local lad, should be the No2 for Rovers. His loan periods have been very successful.

As part of getting behind our new youth policy we on this Board need to overcome our hypercritical judgement on local players.

Still think that Bunn and Brown have achieved more than he has. He's got a great future though, no doubt. Would like to see him loaned out to a League 1 or even a Championship club this season and get some more experience. Who knows? Maybe in three or four years we'd be ready to bring him in as our number one, but for now he's our number four with a lot of potential.

Archived