BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stoke Preview

CrazyIvan

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree, I think Jones is still able to use his defensive qualities in midfield, but it also allows him to make dangerous runs from deep into the box. He's done that on a couple of occasions this season and he's gradually proving to be more of a threat. I prefer seeing him play there in place of Andrews or Grella.

I agree, but with N'zonzi in there or Grella when fit, we need a more attacking player in Jones' place. Though you could argue with Dunn out no one fills that role :( Don't you think playing him completely out of position is going to hinder his progress as a centre back? I just don't think he is suited for midfield and maybe rearrange the midfield and give an attacking player like Hoillet a chance?

Probably not much. There would be no Santa Cruz/younger, slimmer McCarthy to get on the end of them.

You're probably right, but M Diouf has looked okay in the air, but Pedersen and Diouf are inconsistent with their deliveries. Especially Pedersen's mostly awful corners.

Givet has looked a liability recently

Would Jones not be worth a shot at left back? He isn't as slow as Givet and can certainly tackle. Can't be worse. I like Givet, but left back shows up his limitations.

Difficult game this one, I can't see us getting back into this the way we are playing lately. Stoke are much better at the style we are trying to play than we are and they have quality upfront, which we don't. M Dioufs, first touch is bloody awful(All the Man Utd fans I speak to tell me this was his problem at United)

RoversPlayer reports Andrews is getting stripped off :(

Surely Hoillet or Kalanic would be a better option? Andrews isn't going to change the game for us(well at least not for the better). If Andrews comes on it proves that Sam hasn't got a clue.

Would Jones not be worth a shot at left back? He isn't as slow as Givet and can certainly tackle. Can't be worse. I like Givet, but left back shows up his limitations.

There's the problem. We have four very able centre-backs being shoehorned into the starting 11. Givet isn't a left-back and Jones isn't a midfielder.

Difficult game this one, I can't see us getting back into this the way we are playing lately. Stoke are much better at the style we are trying to play than we are and they have quality upfront, which we don't. M Dioufs, first touch is bloody awful(All the Man Utd fans I speak to tell me this was his problem at United)

Its like a student trying to get one over his mentor. Stoke are the masters of the direct, aerial style of play as they have the perfect players for that system. You aren't going to trouble them in the air, so launching long balls is largely pointless.

Still time left but i am strugling to see how we will get back into this game, unless we see a moment of brilliance from someone.

Its like a student trying to get one over his mentor. Stoke are the masters of the direct, aerial style of play as they have the perfect players for that system. You aren't going to trouble them in the air, so launching long balls is largely pointless.

Still time left but i am strugling to see how we will get back into this game, unless we see a moment of brilliance from someone.

Would it be unfair to call us a poor man's Stoke?

There's the problem. We have four very able centre-backs being shoehorned into the starting 11. Givet isn't a left-back and Jones isn't a midfielder.

Maybe we should try 6 at the back? We bypass the midfield anyway and only EH Diouf seems to do anything productive going forward.

Would it be unfair to call us a poor man's Stoke?

It would be extremtely generous to be honest.....

We are awful at this awful 'style' Sam is trying to force on us. We play much better when get it on the deck, Sam can't see this though. Last season our results improved when we played some football(usually in the 2nd half of games, when the long ball hadn't worked for 45 minutes).

Archived