BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stoke Preview

CrazyIvan

Last season, barely 8 months ago, this game marked a low point for Rovers fans in that we lost one of our own. A football fan went to a game and never came back. It was a shocking and sad day and one that will live long in the memory of those of us who were there. I hope John Taylor is remembered at the game officially but if there isn't any kind of remembrance, I'd encourage every fan that goes on the day to stand in silence for a moment. It stands as a reminder of how fleeting life is and how quickly, and tragically, it can pass in an instant. RIP John.

On to the game itself. We've not done well at Stoke since they got promoted. This will be my third visit and (on my birthday too) I'm hoping for a different result than the last two and especially the last game. A result similar to the last away game which a friend of mine described as 'Zona Cesarini' would be brilliant but, as far as I'm concerned, getting a point will be a good day. Stoke have proven to be hard to beat at home in the last couple of seasons but have had a few poor results at home already this term.

Q1 How has this season started for you and have you seen any of your new signings shine at all yet?

I was a bit worried when the fixtures came out when I saw our first 3 games. I think losing Kenwyne (Jones) early at Wolves cost us and I did not expect anything from Spurs or Chelsea so my worries were justified. However, after the last minute win against Villa and point against West Ham and victory at Newcastle, it's a lot better now. Kenwyne looks "tailor made" for us and Pennant looked good against West Ham, I'm gutted he got injured. Gudjohnsen has looked unfit and miles off the pace when he's come on. John Walters has suprised a few, but should be out wide not up front. Marc Wilson has looked steady and Salif Diao..... well he's been like Salif Diao!

Q2 Is Pulis still a hero amongst Stoke fans and what do you think of the 'fallings out' that have happened recently between him and some of your players/former players?

Pulis will always be up there with Waddington and Macari with "legendry" status simply for getting us into the Premier League, but as with most clubs, there are a number on the forums who slate his every move; sometimes justified as his team selections do look puzzling at times (i.e. Diao starting at Newcastle last weekend). He's always been one to do things his way and I'm not suprised he's fallen out with some of the players given their reputations and behaviour - it will be interesting to see how he copes with Pennant and his previous antics. My biggest disappointment is that he holds things against players, an example being Tuncay - he always goes straight down the tunnel after games at previous clubs, yet Pulis won't play one of our most talented players because of this.

Q3 Who is your star player at the moment?

Kenwyne or Matty Etherington - its too close to call, but I suppose most would say Kenwyne as he gets the goals and is our record signing.

Q4 Who is your worst player?

Salif Diao - no contest. Signed 3 times after being released and nobody else picking him up.... why??? The club claim that making him an ambassador will help attract African talent as he is held in high regard throughout the continent, but I reckon he has an embarrasing secret about Pulis and threatened to let it slip....

Q5 If you could choose to get a player from any team in the league (just one) for free who would it be and why?

Fernando Torres - the guy is lethal. Would have said Drogba, but don't think he could play alongside Kenwyne :D

Q6 Both our sides have been considered to be overly physical (usually by Arsene Wenger), which side do you think is the most aggressive and why?

Going by what has happened this season so far, I'd say Wolves simply for some of the challenges they got away with against us and other teams. I don't think either of us are aggressive, strong and physical but not overly aggressive. Wenger needs to look at the card counts this season!!

Q7 When you look at Rovers side, is there anybody who you look at and hope they have a poor day? Or someone you wish you could play every week?

Christopher Samba - with our style of play, he is a challenge in the air to get past... unless you're Ricardo Fuller then you just run at him. El-Hadji Diouf - once you get at him and wind him up you win.

Q8 What do you think of your side at the moment and what do you think of Rovers side?

I think we need to get away from the long throw as that is all Delap brings to the current team. If we do that, then we have the talent to play football if you involve the likes of Tuncay and a fit Gudjohnsen. I think the Rovers side has some promising younger players like N'Zonzi and Diouf (from Man U) and it will be interesting if there is a sizable kitty available come January if the new investment arrives.

Q9 Your ground has a reputation for being really loud, which away fans have you heard the most and which ones are the quietest?

Spurs are usually quite loud and Villa were noisy this year (until injury time)!! Wigan and Fulham are usually poor, as well as Arsenal for the last couple of seasons despite bringing a full allocation.

Q10 Prediction time, what's the score going to be? Where are our respective teams going to finish and which manager is going to get sacked next (in the Premier League that is)? Who would you like to see get the sack next?

Stoke win 2-0, would be nice to keep a clean sheet for once! I think both will finish safely in mid-table this year again. I think Avram Grant could be in trouble as the fans won't give him long if they stay in trouble as they cannot afford to go down. Would like Wenger to get sacked as I cannot do with him and his constant outbursts against other clubs and players which go unpunished most of the time.

Thanks to Steve for the answers :)

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sine I'm going and we never win when i go to away games I'll go for a 2-1 to Stoke, be another game where we take the lead and then throw it away lol

I'm going to Ireland for the weekend and we never win when I go over there.

Stoke have conceded the first goal in all of their league games this season, it looks like we'll score first and lose again ;)

Hopefully Kenwyne Jones keeps hitting the woodwork

There are a distinct lack of pubs near to the ground as it is built away from other buildings. Therefore I would recommend that you grab a drink on the way into Stoke. There is a Holiday Inn and Harvester Pub next to the ground. Car parking in the Harvester car park costs £3'. Also close to the stadium is a Power League complex that also has a bar, which also allows in away fans, shows SKY television and you can even park in their car park for £4.50. Otherwise alcohol is available at the back of the away end, but queues can be lengthy, especially if there is a big support.

After last seasons non performance I swore that I would never venture to stoke again, such was the poor fayre on offer I left just as they scored the 3rd goal saddened by what had happened on and off the field of play. The haunted look on two young ladies faces said it all as we ventured out past the scene of that awful tragedy.

I can honestly say that this game doesnt bother me one iota. Its funny my team Rovers, my pride and joy, are playing and yet I dont seem interested especially after taking almost a full week to recover from the antics on the coast :rolleyes:

Its death by soccer saturday for me, a few cans then the Rugby Final.

If only Rovers could sneak something it would make my weekend, I do however feel the dog may yet get another saturday evening kick !

There are a distinct lack of pubs near to the ground as it is built away from other buildings. Therefore I would recommend that you grab a drink on the way into Stoke. There is a Holiday Inn and Harvester Pub next to the ground. Car parking in the Harvester car park costs £3'. Also close to the stadium is a Power League complex that also has a bar, which also allows in away fans, shows SKY television and you can even park in their car park for £4.50. Otherwise alcohol is available at the back of the away end, but queues can be lengthy, especially if there is a big support.

thanks for the advice

if anybody wants to get a pint or 3 in Manchester city centre beforehand please send me a pm!

More information here. <_<Stoke City

Sine I'm going and we never win when i go to away games I'll go for a 2-1 to Stoke, be another game where we take the lead and then throw it away lol

To be fair, we rarely win whoever goes to away games, so don't be too hard on yourself. Just think, if we do win on Saturday, you can start to think of yourself as a positive influence and say "We only won cos I went" :D

Based on recent performances we will go 1 nil up from a set piece, sit back, give them pleanty of possession let them back into the game and loose 2 - 1. However I hope that after going 1 up we will see an incredible defensive display from Salgado Samba et al and hang on for the victory.

Archived