BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ins and outs

nicko

I think having a total novice in charge who's never managed before and who has achieved relatively little in the game is of greater concern than our players being shocked by the upheaval and the decisions behind the scenes. Hell, there's been plenty of rallying calls from the players.

Performances have been bad after the pitch, but if you remove one successful manager and replace him with a rookie, the teams hardly going to be doing well on the pitch are they?

So the amount of money a manager has to spend is completely "irrelevant" when judging how good his signings were?

So we expected Sam to be somehow acquiring freebies who are able to compete on one of the most competitive stages on the planet?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yet more nonsense from the anti-Sam brigade.

Of course it's bloody relevant.

so sam effectively spent zilch yet took us from the drop zone to mid table. he did ok for me

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probable that we would have done a bit better with Sam in charge over the last two games but to be fair to Kean even Sam would have struggled mightily without Jones Samba and Roberts imo.

Of greater concern imo is the reaction of the players over the last two games and that hasn't been particularly positive imo.

Unlike the positive reaction at Man U ?

Personally didn't think the players reaction was any better or worse than under Sam - which was never consistent - especially considering his mythical powers of motivation.

One thing that did strike me - first 20 mins or so - we tried to pass and move - after this they still tried to pass, but nobody was moving to create space for the player with the ball - this only changed when Hoilett came on. For me - this is just the players reverting to type - and the style that has been ingrained into them over the last couple of seasons.

Of course it isn't.

If they're no bloody good, you don't bloody well sign them. It's not like wages are cheap even for a loan or freebie.

It's hardly rocket science.

Christ.

Well, with that kind of logical thinking I'm sure Premier League clubs up and down the country will be dying to employ you as a transfer advisor.

I mean Alex Ferguson would love to employ you for one. You could have stopped him from signing the likes of Kleberson, Djemba-Djemba, Bellion, Taibi, Prunier, Fortune, Jordi Cryuff, Owen....

No manager knows for sure how "bloody good" the player will be for them before they sign. Chelsea didn't know Andrei Shevchenko would score nine goals in two seasons when they signed him for £30 million, and Man U didn't know that Veron would be absolute pony for them when they signed him for £20 million.

You think Sam signed those knowing they'd be rubbish? Or do you think those signings would have gone anywhere near our club if Sam had the sort of money that Birmingham, Stoke and Sunderland have had to spend recently?

When you have tiny amounts to spend, it stands to reason that the chances of your signing turning out to be half decent are greatly reduced.

what a ridiculous comment. The league is much tighter this season. For a start non of the three who came up are currently in the bottom three in fact non are below us.

When we sacked Sam we were sitting pretty. Having now replaced him with a dead duck (lame would be a compliment) we are smack bang in the middle of a relegation scrap

Ridiculous?

The fact is you were five points worse off.

That is because the squad is weaker and the league is stronger.

So something HAD to be done in the January transfer market to put that right.

This squad has never been sitting pretty in a league like this...Sam said as much himself.

Come on you chicken murderers, get us some good midfielders and a striker, along with an experienced and brilliant assistant manager. Then we might pull it out the mire. I noticed that we dominated posession against Stoke, a stat the Sam haters often referred to. So if we get a few good players we might be able to use that. Being slightly bipolar and a Rovers fan is not good for my health.

About these lists of players being drawn up, who is producing the list? Is it Kean? And how much input does Kentaro have? Sorry if this has been catagorically answered before.

hang on a minute , somethings just occured to me ...are we not limited in the transfer market because of this season's ruling on squad size ?? is my mind playing tricks or where we at 23 and then signed Goulan mid-season taking it to 24?? regardless of how much money we have we'll only be permitted 1 more player unless we move some out?????

Ridiculous?

The fact is you were five points worse off.

That is because the squad is weaker and the league is stronger.

So something HAD to be done in the January transfer market to put that right.

This squad has never been sitting pretty in a league like this...Sam said as much himself.

But we were twenty points from the drop zone last season, had been playing well apart from the Man Utd game of late, and had a run of fixtures where we could be reasonably confident of picking up points.

We wouldn't have been relegated this season under Sam.

so sam effectively spent zilch yet took us from the drop zone to mid table. he did ok for me

If you ask me Big Sam did great job. He spend 14 million and recoup 32 million in sales. Didn't he wanted to sign Robbie Keane and David Bentley in January, sounds to me that he would have played better football. But He never got the chance dispute they saying that they would back Big Sam with money in January for transfer.

When the owners sacked him, they said that they wanted a British experience manager? But then they said that they would consider Martin Jol for the manager job?

tbh, I don't think they have a clue what they are doing? There is so many mixed messages coming out from them! Just make one clear statement on the rovers website.

What type of players is Kean going to be able to bring to rovers? Championship level or overseas targets?

Nicko, you said a couple of days ago, that rovers were after a striker and that you would tell us who He is? do you know who he is? a striker who play in the PL or a striker who is playing overseas?

hang on a minute , somethings just occured to me ...are we not limited in the transfer market because of this season's ruling on squad size ?? is my mind playing tricks or where we at 23 and then signed Goulan mid-season taking it to 24?? regardless of how much money we have we'll only be permitted 1 more player unless we move some out?????

I think you were at 21...Goulon made it 22.

However the rules say you can change your '25' during a transfer window.

So, no problem there.

The problem is finding the b*ggers.

Unlike the positive reaction at Man U ?

Personally didn't think the players reaction was any better or worse than under Sam - which was never consistent - especially considering his mythical powers of motivation.

One thing that did strike me - first 20 mins or so - we tried to pass and move - after this they still tried to pass, but nobody was moving to create space for the player with the ball - this only changed when Hoilett came on. For me - this is just the players reverting to type - and the style that has been ingrained into them over the last couple of seasons.

I agree,and that's the issue for me.

There have been signs in the last two games that Kean is trying to get the players to play to feet more.Also,we now mix up throw-ins much more which always p****d me off under Allardyce..those constant long throws which slowed play down whilst defenders jogged upfield and usually led to nothing other than destroying any momentum we'd built up.

Unfortunately,I agree that the players we currently have are, for various reasons,uncomfortable playing to feet.Too many seasons of hoof-ball,poor technique,treating the ball like a hot potato,no composure..I could go on. Basically,until we get better quality players Kean is on a hiding to nothing. Ironically,this is why I'm prepared to wait and see what the transfer window brings unlike some of the drama queens on here.

Didnt we have quite a few spare places? Dont forget younger players dont have to be named.

Then you have players who can go - i.e Chimbonda, Grella etc

Nicko, you said a couple of days ago, that rovers were after a striker and that you would tell us who He is? do you know who he is? a striker who play in the PL or a striker who is playing overseas?

The striker is in the country, talking to another club. But it is a very complex deal - and could end in tears.

Sam kept us up by picking up points against bottom half teams. He made sure we won enough of the games that mattered. Since he have left we have failed to win two such games.

He worked wonders on the limited budget. The owners in their wisdom dont trust him to spend their money wisely. This is a man who signed Speed, Anelka, Heirro, Okocha, Campo, Stelios, Nakata in his time at Bolton. He also proved he could unearth gems. Instead we are handing the cheque book to a guy who has been sacked by every club who employed him as a number 2 or more likely some hidden faces in the background. At least mrs d's brother knows a bit about football.

Can you tell us the name of the striker? Jelle Vossen?

It will come out in the morning. But Rovers won't be linked because they are standing back to see what the price is and who the agent is who really has the player. It's a very messy one.

It's not Vossen.

probably that striker from FC Cluj then?

It's not Traore either. I gather he was considered but not rated 'ready for it' yet.

So has Puppet on a string got somebody lined up to come in next week ?

Yeah. Sandie Shaw.

Nicko do the club have a list of targets they want?

Will there be many cash deals or just swaps and loans (in general)

The manager said the list is with the owners - after he came back and spoke with the scouting staff to get updates on the people who were being watched.

There is money - as they have said time and again.

It's about getting players, which is not easy.

But it would have been impossible without money - and minus anyone to sell - which was the alternative.

Archived