BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ins and outs

nicko

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even clubs with considerably more money than us have struggled to buy anyone decent in January.

That's the ****ing challenge.

It was the same challenge you would have faced no matter who was in charge - at any level.

The difference now is that you have an owner who wants to spend rather than stash it away to sell the thing.

Yes, Sam would have got better results than Steve Kean would have- he wouldn't have been out smarted by Tony Pulis the way Kean was. And we wouldn't have let two rooky keepers smoke cigars all game either.

We were in a much better position the day before Sam was fired than we are now.

Did you watch the game on Sunday? Begović is a giant that gobbled up everything we threw at him in the air.

Not to mention, Stoke basically play how Sam's teams play, only they have much, much better players.

Its impossible to say how Sam would've done in the 2 games

But despite the owners wanting entertaining football, Kean's approach was identical to Sam's 'percentage' game.

This suggests to me that

a) He doesn't have his own way of playing, because he's just followed instructions from managers

B ) Sam having more experience, would probably have got better results and not been out-smarted by Pulis.

Talk on Radio Rovers of 'we need an ugly win from somewhere' is just totally crazy because we were frequently picking up ugly wins under Sam no problem, they've made the change so we don't have to target 'ugly' wins.

I think the owners will quickly retract the need for entertainment when we're fighting for survival and they realise that Kean doesn't have another style to impose on the team other that what sam was doing.

Could do - there is so much emphasis on this January transfer window, including by Kean himself, so it is crunch time.

How many times?

You have been left criminally short of players. January was ALWAYS going to be a crunch.

Sam said himself that he needed three players. That total has possibly risen.

Did you watch the game on Sunday? Begović is a giant that gobbled up everything we threw at him in the air.

Not to mention, Stoke basically play how Sam's teams play, only they have much, much better players.

How many of Stokes players would you have?

Apart from Jones I don't think they have better players

The big fear i have is venkeys will now splash a lot of cash on average players heaping a load of debt onto the club. We will go into freefall and be relegated.

Bolton tried to support Gary Megson by giving him plenty to spend to prove he was the right man. He didnt and they now sit the best part of 100million in debt running big loses.

There is no doubt in my mind that Sam wouldve gotten us closer to the points in the last two games than Steve Kean did. The manner of the defeat/draw was just dreadful.

It was almost like the players were told NOT to play long balls just for the sake of it..we keep playing so slow that were up against an established defence all day long...hardly effective

Nicko,do you honestly think Kean is capable of signing the type of high profile player we need?

Once again who will come here now the club is in turmoil?.....this being the doing of Venky's themselves.

Make sure you make the point in your next media article that we, the fans, are far from happy with going's on please.

Totally agree, this team lacks quality all over the place.

Just hoping we can actually "attract" some quality players to the club in this window

It lacks quality in the centre of midfield more than anything.

Hoillet and Olsson need to play more often though - pace changes games.

Nicko,do you honestly think Kean is capable of signing the type of high profile player we need?

You don't need high profile players. You need good players. Players who are up for a fight and can also play.

At least you might have a chance of landing some this time.

Benjani? Wham Bam Diouf?

That's what you were reduced to this year...

Anything will be an improvement.

However the problems that need addressing are in signing players for the squad. You got away with it in the first few months because everyone was fit. The minute Kean takes over he loses three key men in 90 minutes.

Nicko is it right that the West Ham game was played as the powers what be were under pressure due to Media , marketing rights to play the game when clearly outside of ewood the footpaths , roads were in an horrendous state ( all the othere NW clubs Liverppol , Wigan called there games off for safety reasons ) ??

We wouldnt have picked them injuries up if the game was postponed...I know hindsight is a wonderfull thing !

Nicko. I agree we don't need high profile players like Beckham if you belive the reports (I don't). We need players in the mould of O'Hara and Krancjar from Spurs and someone who can add a bit of steel in there... say a player like Cattermole. Not that these are the players we will go for.

How about Darron Gibson from Man U? He can play a pass and it isn't like he's ever gonna nail down a place with them?

How many of Stokes players would you have?

Apart from Jones I don't think they have better players

I'd have Jones, Fuller, Shawcross, Etherington, Pennant (even though he's on loan) and Tuncay for starters. I'd have Delap too, if we're playing Allardyce football.

They have a pretty poor midfield, creatively. It's all about hoofing the ball to Jones, so I wouldn't really want any of them. They're just 'spoilers' in my book. There to stop the other team playing and to sucker them into playing Stoke style football (which of course is a battle most teams can't win against them).

Yes Exiled they do. Also... Niko also showed once again yesterday he can play, its just a shame our midfielders (especially Dunn) give him absolutely naff all. What do people seriously expect him to do when he gets NO service?

They expect him to beat three players and ram it into the roof of the net. He did cost £6m after all.

The options our subs bench yesterday was a clear indication of how weak we are yesterday....people where going on about his 1 sub - but who could we bring on to change the game? Diouf who keeps the ball? Benjani who didnt look interested last week?

So short of options.

We need 2 midfielders more than anything!!

Nicko is there any update to Kean appointing a new number 2? that could make a huge difference, someone like Clarke or Wilkins would be ideal.

No, but it is something that should be done very soon. I don't see any reason why Billy McKinlay is not approached right now. Steve Kean needs allies now.

Nicko how secure is kean? If we lost the next three would venkeys panic?

Their plan is to give him the season. I don't think they are panickers.

The Dave Jones thing was out last week. Silly chap told Chopra - to wind him up - that 'he would be at Blackburn before him' and the striker took him seriously.

True story.

Archived