BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Europa league

Mr. E is absolutely 100% correct whether you all like it or not. If getting our hands on the UEFA Cup for winning the Europa League also came with an entry into the CL qualifiers (which I think it should) it would be a completely different story. Unfortunately, at the moment the only benefit of being in UEFA's 2nd rate tournament is an OCCASIONAL opportunity to play a Celtic, Feyenoord Rotterdam or Bayer Leverkusen. Otherwise it's just a useless competition that taxes the hell out of our squad without any chance at glory for the trophy case or a sizable amount of cash for the bank account. Champions League only thank you.

What a ridiculously bold statement for something you're clearly wrong about.

The suggestion that European football is a negative thing for our club is ludicrous. How do you think the clubs profile compares when we are in Europe three seasons in a row to when we're not in it at all?

European football is great for the clubs profile, it helps attract players, it is great for the fans and throws up fixtures against teams you'd otherwise never play.

From 5,000 miles away it might not seem so attractive, but Europe every season for me please, whatever version it may be.

What a ridiculously bold statement for something you're clearly wrong about.

The suggestion that European football is a negative thing for our club is ludicrous. How do you think the clubs profile compares when we are in Europe three seasons in a row to when we're not in it at all?

European football is great for the clubs profile, it helps attract players, it is great for the fans and throws up fixtures against teams you'd otherwise never play.

From 5,000 miles away it might not seem so attractive, but Europe every season for me please, whatever version it may be.

Ah gee Sillytoes, you & I disagree about something again. Thanks for the public reaffirmation. ;)

My list of pros clearly outweigh your 'too many games' nonsense.

Europe=Better team and better squad.

Simple.

I'm still waiting to hear examples of English teams who have received the benefits being talked about here. There are a lot who have experienced great difficulties after and during their Europa League adventures (the last two finalists most notably), but I do not see who has benefited. Others like Bolton, Everton, Aston Villa have also played there in recent times, and the best they can say is that their fortunes haven't changed.

Let's see the evidence.

I'm still waiting to hear examples of English teams who have received the benefits being talked about here. There are a lot who have experienced great difficulties after and during their Europa League adventures (the last two finalists most notably), but I do not see who has benefited. Others like Bolton, Everton, Aston Villa have also played there in recent times, and the best they can say is that their fortunes haven't changed.

Let's see the evidence.

Your basing your argument purely on league positions.

It's very difficult for us or any of those clubs to be consistent enough to get into Europe every season as the league is so tight. I've given a list of why it's great for our club to be in Europe, so my points of view are there to be picked apart, but the excitement of going on a good European run is something I and nobody else have ever experienced whilst supporting Rovers, and I'd like to change.

If you think achieving this doesn't/wouldn't raise our profile and widen our net with regards to player recruit, then that's fine, but I bet you'd find plenty of people down at Ewood who would disagree.

Just to reiterate what has already been said, as a fan, the only thing that keeps me ticking over is the thought of getting back into Europe again! Anybody who says they would rather not qualify obviously did not experience salzburg, feyenord, vilnius etc.

A previous poster has cited Middlesboro as an example of why european football can be detrimental. Well the flip side of the coin is Reading. I seem to recall we drew with them 3-3 on the final day of the season a few years back, they finished 8th, we finished 10th, but Coppull took the attitude that Euro footy would adversely affect them and chose not to enter the Intertoto Cup. We qualified for it at their expense, and I enjoyed trips to Lithuania and Greece. A couple of seasons later, Reading fans were 'enjoying' trips to Scunthorpe and Burnley, whilst toying with relegation to League 1. How annoyed must Reading fans be, knowing their manager squandered realistically their only opportunity in their lifetimes to experience Euro footy?!

So to any fan who says we don't need the Europa League and that it's not worth it blah blah blah, go and speak to a Reading fan!

Perhaps the people against European football have never experienced an away game in Europe? I have had the best ever times watching Rovers away in Europe and I would just love to do it again.

Legia Warsaw - drove from Blackburn. What a week

Feyernoord - stayed in Amsterdam along with thousands of other Rovers fans. No comment.

Bayer Leverkusen - Waggy selling 'small town in europe' badges. Quality

Thats why Eurpoean football is special to me.

One love - BRFC

Been to plenty, by far and a way the best experience following the club for me.

I fact its sometimes the only thing that keeps me interested these days, the possibility of getting back into Europe, but we’re a long way off that currently in my eyes....... :(

Just to reiterate what has already been said, as a fan, the only thing that keeps me ticking over is the thought of getting back into Europe again! Anybody who says they would rather not qualify obviously did not experience salzburg, feyenord, vilnius etc.

A previous poster has cited Middlesboro as an example of why european football can be detrimental. Well the flip side of the coin is Reading. I seem to recall we drew with them 3-3 on the final day of the season a few years back, they finished 8th, we finished 10th, but Coppull took the attitude that Euro footy would adversely affect them and chose not to enter the Intertoto Cup. We qualified for it at their expense, and I enjoyed trips to Lithuania and Greece. A couple of seasons later, Reading fans were 'enjoying' trips to Scunthorpe and Burnley, whilst toying with relegation to League 1. How annoyed must Reading fans be, knowing their manager squandered realistically their only opportunity in their lifetimes to experience Euro footy?!

So to any fan who says we don't need the Europa League and that it's not worth it blah blah blah, go and speak to a Reading fan!

that's quite absurd to claim that Reading deciding not enter the Intertoto cup in any way shape or form contributed to them getting relegated a few seasons later. Really absurd.

that's quite absurd to claim that Reading deciding not enter the Intertoto cup in any way shape or form contributed to them getting relegated a few seasons later. Really absurd.

Just as absurd as suggesting doing well in the competition led to Middlesbrough's relegation a few years later.

I never stated Reading got relegated as a result of not entering the Intertoto Cup. I used them as an example as to why teams should enter Europe.

As for the use of the word 'absurd', i suggest its really absurd to be against your team entering the Europa League, and the consensus on this particular forum seems to agree!

I would also guess you have never followed Rovers away in Europe?

Supporting a football club and not wanting european football is like going out with the sexiest, cutest girl around but not wanting to have sex with her - what a fecking waste

eurpean adventures to date have been the "climax" of being a BRFC supporter

you also get better with practice!

I never stated Reading got relegated as a result of not entering the Intertoto Cup. I used them as an example as to why teams should enter Europe.

As for the use of the word 'absurd', i suggest its really absurd to be against your team entering the Europa League, and the consensus on this particular forum seems to agree!

I would also guess you have never followed Rovers away in Europe?

People are talking about the experience of attending the away games, and no one has ever said anything against that. The question is what is more beneficial - focusing your efforts on getting in the Champions League, or risking a very detrimental season due to the Europa Cup? The latter will never give the club a chance to really grow. Only the Champions League will. This is a proven fact.

Supporting a football club and not wanting european football is like going out with the sexiest, cutest girl around but not wanting to have sex with her - what a fecking waste

eurpean adventures to date have been the "climax" of being a BRFC supporter

you also get better with practice!

That would be the Champions League you are describing.

The Europa Cup is like an Eastern European hooker that leaves you with a lot of stuff you need to clean up afterwords.

Archived