BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Europa league

Sorry I couldn't find a suitable topic for this I heard for this competition they have limited the number of English teams entering the Europa league competition. Can someone please confirm from the league Top 4 Champs Lge. 5-8 Europa League. I have had a look at the Uefa website but can get my head round who gets what, or are there less teams in the Europa League from the league? Thanks.

Does it really matter, do we really want to qualify?

The Champions League is the only thing worth qualifying for. I would actually prefer we missed out on the Europa League by one spot than get into one of those places. Puts a huge strain on your squad with very little reward unless you reach the final.

That's not the attitude we want and I hope the team doesnt have the same attitude. Making the Europe League is a huge thing for a club our size. We have missed out on European football for the past few years, and its something to look forward to. I guess Souness did leave a legacy here after all.

The Champions League is the only thing worth qualifying for. I would actually prefer we missed out on the Europa League by one spot than get into one of those places. Puts a huge strain on your squad with very little reward unless you reach the final.

I hope the team don't share that view.

Some of the best times of my life were spent on these European trips. I certainly want the excuse to travel Europe on the ###### again.

And some of mine have come on away trips in Europe. Trips to cologne, Salzburg. Athens, Vilnius were all great fun and I've love to do more trips like those.

European qualification may not be a big money spinner but it certainly helps to attract players.

yeah but from the premier league how many spots are there for the Europa League 5th-?.

All depend on who win the cups. If teams finish in the top 5 but win a cup then more places becomes available in the league. Hopefully Rovers can win the FA cup this season and qualify Europe! We haven't won the FA cup since 1928 and it's about time we did.

yeah but from the premier league how many spots are there for the Europa League 5th-?. Bobby G is right that is not the right attitude to have to just write it off some of my best nights have come from Rovers European nights at Ewood.

Obviously it's good for the fans as it allows for such trips, but not the future success of the club. I mean look at where Fulham and Middlesbrough are now - it's not a coincidence.

Last season I'm pretty sure 5th guaranteed a spot, with the other two going to the cup winners. 6th and 7th open up if those teams have already qualified for Europe. I think it's the same this season too.

Agreed. the trips to european places was excellent. Some great opportunities to see some historic cities and locations ie Cologne. Amsterdam and Krakow not to mention Moscow and the unbelievable Sofia!

I didn't think about that. If Rovers get to Europe, I will have one more arrow in my quiver against the wife when it comes to getting the kids (and myself) to a Rovers match. :P

Obviously it's good for the fans as it allows for such trips, but not the future success of the club. I mean look at where Fulham and Middlesbrough are now - it's not a coincidence.

Last season I'm pretty sure 5th guaranteed a spot, with the other two going to the cup winners. 6th and 7th open up if those teams have already qualified for Europe. I think it's the same this season too.

Boro's problems are because they got to the UEFA final?! Get real! It's because they sold off the squad and replaced them with gash and appointed Southgate after McClaren instead of a proven manager. Plus, in usual PL style they have racked up massive debts in the process.

I'm sure that a place in the Europa would really be pleasing for our owners. They may even be tempted to invest more money on players in the hope of a good run in Europe and the subequent good publicity.

Id probably think that qualifying and doing well in European competition is very important to Venkys. I also think for Sam sucess in his last few seasons as a manager is very important also finishing higher up in the league increases the possibility of him keeping his job and subsequently getting more investment for the squad.

Christ, if some of you don't even want us to play in the Europa league then what exactly do you see as progress? We're hardly going to finish in the Champions League anytime soon are we?

We were literally a couple points off it a few seasons ago. It should be the main goal. An ambitious one, but certainly more profitable than the Europa league.

People are kidding themselves if they think the Europa league will bring any sort of benefit to the club, unless we actually win it. It hasn't helped any English club in recent memory that I am aware of do any of the things so far suggested.

We were literally a couple points off it a few seasons ago. It should be the main goal. An ambitious one, but certainly more profitable than the Europa league.

People are kidding themselves if they think the Europa league will bring any sort of benefit to the club, unless we actually win it. It hasn't helped any English club in recent memory that I am aware of do any of the things so far suggested.

Every single part of this post is completely wrong.

I actually prefer the UEFA cup (or whatever it's called these days)to that vulgar, bloated club tournament we all know the name of. CL has become an immovable institution made to make sure the same clubs can win their respective leagues year after year, while the UEFA cup serves up different teams every year and easily matches the entertainment value.

Mr. E is absolutely 100% correct whether you all like it or not. If getting our hands on the UEFA Cup for winning the Europa League also came with an entry into the CL qualifiers (which I think it should) it would be a completely different story. Unfortunately, at the moment the only benefit of being in UEFA's 2nd rate tournament is an OCCASIONAL opportunity to play a Celtic, Feyenoord Rotterdam or Bayer Leverkusen. Otherwise it's just a useless competition that taxes the hell out of our squad without any chance at glory for the trophy case or a sizable amount of cash for the bank account. Champions League only thank you.

Agree with Al's point....Rovers finish higher, it will probably push Venkys into putting more cash into players to try and escalate our progress sooner.

As for no benefit...in terms of prize money maybe, but the prestige of playing good European teams each week, extra Tv coverage etc will also all bring extra sponsorship money for the club....add to that a bigger pull for players coming in.

Archived