BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn

Amo

Exactly what it says on the tin. Discussion topic for David Dunn.

I was going to post about how he's been crap lately and past it at PL level, but it's his birthday today, so I'll let him off.

Happy Birthday Dunny!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Dunny needs to get the videos out and watch the last few years of Tugay if he wants to still operate at this level.

He may be skillful enough but he is not quick enough now to drive past players like he used to. He cannot run box to box.

He should watch what Tugay used to do. Get the ball, move it quickly, keep it simple and wait for the moment to play more incisive passes.

I think Dunny needs to get the videos out and watch the last few years of Tugay if he wants to still operate at this level.

He may be skillful enough but he is not quick enough now to drive past players like he used to. He cannot run box to box.

He should watch what Tugay used to do. Get the ball, move it quickly, keep it simple and wait for the moment to play more incisive passes.

exactly.

kean seems to prefer dunn, playing the role of a deep lying playmaker, and there, he isnt meant to take risks. Instead he should, as you state, use his passing and vision, while keeping it simple.

the difference though, is that tugay played an eternity without pace as a tool, whereas dunn has´nt, so he might not be comfortable playing such role.

to me, he just seems so far of the pace, that i´ve written him off.

Dunny used to be a great player for Rovers.

That is all.

EDIT: actually there is something else. I've just been looking through our reserve team "squad" and there don't appear to be many midfielders there either. It almost feels like a dereliction of duty buy our scouts that we have so few (fit) midfielders on our books. It's largely down to our lack of midfield options that Dunny is having to continue as he is. Very sad the condition he is in considering he's only 31.

exactly.

kean seems to prefer dunn, playing the role of a deep lying playmaker, and there, he isnt meant to take risks. Instead he should, as you state, use his passing and vision, while keeping it simple.

the difference though, is that tugay played an eternity without pace as a tool, whereas dunn has´nt, so he might not be comfortable playing such role.

to me, he just seems so far of the pace, that i´ve written him off.

I think Kean has in spot on - we don't have a midfield player currently fit that can put his foot on the ball. I think it will take him some time to grow into this new role - even Tugay occasionally got caught in possession when trying to make room for himself. IMO Dunn's main problem on Saturday was that he tried to run with the ball too much after making that little space for himself - rather than releasing the ball.

I also have to say in defence of all our midfield - it is far more difficult to play a pass if players don't move for you. I am afraid that, at times, our team is rather static (possibly too long playing longer ball football)

If Dunn is going to play a deeper role, then he needs someone alongside to do the leg-work and win the ball back. That man isn't Pedersen.

Dunny looks deeper purely because he cant get his arse into gear to move further up the pitch.

No legs, no pace, leaves Dunny looking cruelly exposed on a premiership football field nowadays.

First half Stoke, Rovers attacking down the left, near to the Riverside, either Olsson, or MGP, played the ball back to Dunny, Dunny being woefully slow, losses the attacking initiative by losing possesion allowing Stoke to then attack our goals catching more than half of our team out. Sadly this wasnt the only solitary incident concerning Dunny during this game.

• Backroom

Fat, slow and thinks he's better than he is.

Lost count of the times he has put us under pressure by trying to take on too many men and getting tackled, he still tries to play like he is 24.

Still has an element of danger due to him having a good shot on him but at present causes far more danger to us than other teams.

Honestly, we'd have been better off with 10 men in the last 2 matches.

More than anything, I lost count of the amount of times he just did nothing when in posession - literally stood with the ball - and lost posession easily.

I don't think he has the ability to do that. Dunn was always at his best when, as you say, he was driving forward. IMO doesn't have the discipline, vision (He is creative, but not in quite the same manner as a Tugay, Pirlo, Xavi type of player) or even the accuracy. I've never seen the passing game as his major strength.

Lost count of the times he has put us under pressure by trying to take on too many men and getting tackled, he still tries to play like he is 24.

He did this even during his purple patch last season. His goals made up for it then though.

• Backroom

Dunn is a mood player if ever there was one. I think he simply looks like his heart has gone out of his game.

If it has it's certainly nothing to do with the change in management as he's been crap all season

• Backroom

I'm not sure whether injury after injury have taken the spirit out of Dunn's game or whether he's just lazy and cannot be bothered to get into shape, but either way we can't afford to carry him in his present state. He either needs to make some serious effort to get himself into better shape or if he can't do that adapt his game so that he can still be useful to us without needing to run for extended periods. If neither of those happens he should really be sold, but it'd be a shame to see a local lad have his career here fizzle out in such a poor way so I'm hoping he finds a way to rejuvenate himself again.

Archived