BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window Part 4

Didn't Martin O'Neil walk away due to lack of backing in the transfer market, even after all his top players been sold off? All of a sudden they have money to burn. Martin O'Neil will be fuming having seen Villa's transfer activity so far in January.

Wahey, off you go again! You should start thinking about what you're posting, seriously.

Aston Villa got around £20 million for Milner in the summer and didn't spend any of it. They haven't got 'money to burn' at all, they're just spending that plus a little bit extra.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of the difference he could make on the pitch I would agree with you and say he would rpob be a better signing for us than Ronaldinho.

However the Ronaldinho bid was partly self funding and also about promoting the club and raising our world imgae, something Bent wouldnt do.

The goals that Bent would be guaranteed to supply would however do more than Ronaldinho to drive Rovers towards Venky's stated aim of achieving fifth place and a possible Champions League place, which would do far more for our global image than a fading superstar way past his best.

I'm amazed that Villa apparently have £24m to spare. .

Wahey, off you go again! You should start thinking about what you're posting, seriously.

Aston Villa got around £20 million for Milner in the summer and didn't spend any of it. They haven't got 'money to burn' at all, they're just spending that plus a little bit extra.

Wahey, MON left after Milner was sold.

£18m for Darren Bent. People thought 'Arry was mental for asking £16m when he couldn't keep a place in the Spurs squad.

Personally, I've never liked Bent. Another Big 'Ead who's only interested in himself and his money.

Plus, we've just signed a £17m-rated striker for free ;) we're not missing out on anything.

my first post on here so hello everyone. I spoke to a North End mate of mine on Saturday and he said that Linganzi went off injured but he was awful before that.

Strange that because all the nobenders here at BAe say he was the best player on the pitch.

Loving the running commentary on who's ignoring who :glare:

Strange that because all the nobenders here at BAe say he was the best player on the pitch

to be fair, my Nobend friend did sound like he had had one too many shandy's when I spoke to him after the game so that probably makes sense

Probably something to do with our entire central midfield and strike force being unfit for most of the season as well one would think.

He started bad had a lot of rows with the players but they've mostly all reconciled those differences, Dunne is playing well again and we're playing ok now. I have no problem with how Houllier does things, and I had massive problems with how MON did things.

You know MON barely did a stitch of training with them in pre-season. He sold us up the river because we wouldn't let him buy people until he sold his crap signings who were in huge wages, he bottled it and ###### off 3 days before the season began and now his next career move looks like West Ham, he's a tosser, it's no wonder we were in turmoil with his lazy arrogant approach to being our manager over summer.

I wouldn't worry too much Tom. I just can't see Villa going down. Your lot will pull themselves together in the second half season, and you will finish comfortable mid-table.

The goals that Bent would be guaranteed to supply would however do more than Ronaldinho to drive Rovers towards Venky's stated aim of achieving fifth place and a possible Champions League place, which would do far more for our global image than a fading superstar way past his best.

I think it would take more than Bent to get our current squad to 5th. I also think you slightly under estimate the pulling power of Ronaldinho. For a while he was THE best player in world by some margin and at his best he was up there within touching istance of greatness rarley seen ie the Zidanes, Pele's and Maradonas. It would have been some coup.

I cant believe Villa can drop 24 million and not need to recouperate some of it, there must be sales to come from them.

Liverpool has made contact with Villa over Downing. So that's them out of the Adam race, then? (Don't think they ever were in for Adam, but still).

I think Downing is a fantastic player and I'd love to see Rovers make a move for him. He always struck me as hit and miss on the left wing but having seen him play in the middle he always seems to work his socks off and has got a great eye for a pass.

Has Jones still not signed?think it's ridiculous that Kean went tio india.if venky's love brazilians so much what about Luis Fabiano he'd surely increase our profile world-wide.

Why is it ridiculous Kean going to India?

Managers dont buy players, the agents and the board do that

Managers give them a list, which he already will have done, the rest is out of his hand

Makes perfect sense for him to pop to India, these guys run a multi million pound empire and its common practice for senior employees to fly to them for a day of meetings

Kean has a mobile if he is needed

I think it would take more than Bent to get our current squad to 5th. I also think you slightly under estimate the pulling power of Ronaldinho. For a while he was THE best player in world by some margin and at his best he was up there within touching istance of greatness rarley seen ie the Zidanes, Pele's and Maradonas. It would have been some coup.

I cant believe Villa can drop 24 million and not need to recouperate some of it, there must be sales to come from them.

The squad obviously needs extra investment particularly in midfield but proven goalscorers such as Bent are worth their weight in gold. £20m is alot of money but at 26 he still has his best years ahead of him and would be a good investment and make a tremendous difference to our potential goalpower.

£24m > Cost to Villa of getting relegated.

They know that without taking advantage of this transfer window, there's a good chance of them going down.

I'm guessing that was referring to amount of importance, as opposed to amount of money.

I didn't just think before I posted, I also read this.

Last Friday night, following the friendly against Valencia and with Milner's transfer edging closer, O'Neill was asked how much he would be able to spend of the money that Villa received from City. He replied that he would "need to speak to the chairman and chief executive about that". The answer O'Neill subsequently received from Lerner and Faulkner appears to have convinced him he would be unable to make Villa a competitive force again next season, following three successive top-six finishes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/09/martin-oneill-quits-aston-villa

Thanks in advance for your appology.

Not if they continue with their end of season demise as they did.

That was probably because MON used to play the same side every game so they were shattered come the end of the season. I don't think that'll be the case this year.

I can see Villa finishing in the top half, the league is going to be so tight from 6th down to 20th so a couple of extra points could make all the difference.

I suppose I could have said the same thing to argue the opposite point though.

Robbie Keane no longer going to Birmingham SSN

Was the offer they had accepted about 6m? That seems a lot for a player who hasn't really done much for a couple of seasons, especially someone who has just turned 30. Supposedly he was after a pay rise too unbelievably, that probably sums up what he is feeling. We want someone who is trying to prove something.

Couldn't agree more Jim. Moves for the likes of Ronaldinho and Beckham are merely about publicity and not about driving the team on the pitch forward. They should take a leaf out of Jack's book and buy the best young players available to produce a successful team that will bring them all the publicity they need. Hopefully, Steve Kean is explaining that to them at the moment.

The fee for Bent will no doubt show our new owners just what type of madhouse they have bought into in acquiring the Rovers. As the old joke goes - the quickest way to become a millionaire is for a billionaire to buy a Premier League club!

Couldn't agree more Jim. Moves for the likes of Ronaldinho and Beckham are merely about publicity and not about driving the team on the pitch forward. They should take a leaf out of Jack's book and buy the best young players available to produce a successful team that will bring them all the publicity they need. Hopefully, Steve Kean is explaining that to them at the moment.

Your expectations are all wrong. Venky's haven't bought the club for the same reasons that Jack Walker did. They aren't going to put money in with no hope of return or exposure just for the love of the club, and why would/should they?

What's more realistic (and cheaper), buying Ronaldinho or winning the league?

Archived