BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nat Lofthouse

Hughesy

Big Nat has passed away.... RIP

Never seen him as a player due to my age, but he was one of my grandads favourites and someone iv heard alot about.

A true pro, and a proper club legend for Bolton - 450+ appearances and a 1 club man....

Being from Bolton and most of my family being Bolton fans I remember we had this cassette tape with Bolton football songs on, I used to love listening to the song about the 'Lion of Vienna' I was told what the song was about but didn't really understand, I must have only been about 7 or 8 at the time but he meant something to me back then. Most Bolton fans I know thought he should have been knighted. He was a one club man like our Ronnie too.

R.I.P Nat Lofthouse

RIP Nat Lofthouse

Here is a decent article on the Lion of Vienna:

http://www.guardian....-bolton-england

Sorry for your loss Lofthouse family and Wanderers

Guardian article mentions Lofthouse's barge on Harry Gregg in the 1958 Cup final.

Not sure if it's available on the internet but it makes incredible viewing considering the protection goalkeepers receive from referees these days.

Guardian article mentions Lofthouse's barge on Harry Gregg in the 1958 Cup final.

Not sure if it's available on the internet but it makes incredible viewing considering the protection goalkeepers receive from referees these days.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=35187

About 2/3rds the way in (player doesn't give proper time marks).

A truly great player, I saw him in the flesh once when he scored a goal Shearer in his pomp would have been proud of. He chased a long bouncing clearance out on to the right wing, finally catching up with it about 3 yards in from both touchlines out by the corner flag. As it sat up he hit a mid air swivel volley right footed, it flew like an arrow past a startled goalkeeper who was alread mentally preparing to take a goal kick ! This was right at the end of his career, Very similar player to Shearer in style, ability and attitude. I heard him say on the radio " I could run, shoot and head " Well he could run and shoot alright.

A massive loss to his family, Bolton the town and club, North West football and football in general. Rest In Peace Nat and thanks for that goal. John.

Another decent gentleman of a player passes away. By comparison, look at some of the chavs pulling on the shirt nowadays. 'F*** you, F*** your leg'. Disgusting.

Diouf was ACCUSED of saying that and has vouched Nelsen and other players can confirm he never said this. I don't believe you were on the pitch to hear it and are just going off Warnock's rantings = not healthy. Though I do agree it's disappointing some footballers who have the money and the life but lack being a gentleman.

RIP Nat Lofthouse and condolences to all family, friends and fans.

Another decent gentleman of a player passes away. By comparison, look at some of the chavs pulling on the shirt nowadays. 'F*** you, F*** your leg'. Disgusting.

Completely unecessary Nick.

The entire Bolton team of that time were a terrifying prospect and were all 'well ard' and Nat was far from being a gentle giant on the pitch I can assure you.

I went to school with his daughter Vivian so condolences to all.

I found the cassette tape I mentioned previously, I had a listen to the song - Lion of Vienna by Jimmy Smith and great memories came flooding back.

There was a lad from Bolton

Nat Lofthouse was his name

He used to work in a coal mine

But he reached the hall of fame

As the world of football came along

And took him out t'mine

And made the lad from Bolton

A legend in his time

He was the lion, the lion of Vienna

He was the lion, the pride of Lancashire

There'll be other centre forwards

And other football teams

But the lion of Vienna is the best there's ever been

A call from England came again to play on foreign soil

And England was his _________

And the Austrians would soon find out _________

It was Lofthouse pride of England

And a legend in his time

And other football teams

A match remained in deadlock

It looked an each-way bet

'til Lofty took a through ball

And crashed it in t'net

He's the Lion of Vienna

By the _________

He's England's centre forward

And a legend in his time

The game of football's changed a bit since I were a little lad

With a scarf and rattle in me hand cheering with me Dad

And gone are the days of the old brass band and Lofty in his prime

He were England's centre forward and a legend in his time

And other football teams

And other football teams

But the lion of Vienna is the BEST THERE'S EVER BEEN

Even though I don't support Bolton but most of my family do, I was brought up knowing Lofthouse was a legend and I loved this song. Unfortunately I couldn't quite make out all of the words but I think it's brilliant and it'll always mean a lot to me. R.I.P Nat Lofthouse.

Completely unecessary Nick.

The entire Bolton team of that time were a terrifying prospect and were all 'well ard' and Nat was far from being a gentle giant on the pitch I can assure you.

I went to school with his daughter Vivian so condolences to all.

I take it he didn't go spitting at anyone though, eh?

Thanks to all here for your kind comments.

I'm a 56 year old so-called hard nosed beggar and I've been walking around with a lump in my throat and a tear not far from my eyes since I heard the news. All Bolton Wanderers fans worshipped the bloke, he was all the things a man should be - and not just a great footballer. I was fortunate to have met him on a couple of occasions and he was just a bloody nice man.

30 goals in 33 England appearances! I suspect we shall never see another like him.

RIP Nat - the Lion of Vienna.

There a hour long tribute to Nat on Sky Sports 2 this evening at 10pm, well worth setting the recorder for.

I'd recommend our younger members watch it as an insight to what football used to be like and how our older members remember the game.

Thanks to all here for your kind comments.

I'm a 56 year old so-called hard nosed beggar and I've been walking around with a lump in my throat and a tear not far from my eyes since I heard the news. All Bolton Wanderers fans worshipped the bloke, he was all the things a man should be - and not just a great footballer. I was fortunate to have met him on a couple of occasions and he was just a bloody nice man.

30 goals in 33 England appearances! I suspect we shall never see another like him.

RIP Nat - the Lion of Vienna.

Yeh and how many of those 30 goals came in games against the likes of San Marino, Malta, Transyvania, Treasure Island and all the minnows we play today- none.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived