BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

731 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steve Kean stay or go

I understand your views - however for many fans we all saw this coming when Kean was appointed even though I sense over the past 2 weeks some fans have woken up and now realise the depth of our problems (hence the growing anger) - since November this has been like watching a car crash in slow motion.

What is more frustrating about all of this is that our current problems are self inflicted.

From memory you had a hunch Kean could turn out to be a good manager for us - obviously his results to date suggest otherwise. I don't think he helps himself with some of his public comments, personally I can see through them and no doubt the players probably can too. It is better in life to be frank, to a degree, as putting a positive spin on everything comes across as delusional.

There is no debate to be had when looking/comparing our previous manager with whoever - of course Sam is now gone but ultimately he was good for this football club and some "fans" were all to quick to give him stick even when we won.

As was so often said at the time during his tenure, and also Sparky's, you would only realise how good he is when he is gone.

Your memory is right, I thought he could be a good manager for us, emphasis on could. If you move me away from likely towards unlikely on a sliding scale I guess that is my direction of travel. Even so I still harbour a hope that he and the team come good over the next 5 games.

You won't find any posts from me where I felt it was a good decision to part with Sam, he was good for us but I could understand why he might not be good for the owners. The way he departed set Kean on a road of pain and difficulty, compounded by injuries to key players. As Napoleon said, don't give me a good general, give me a lucky one.

Given a choice I would have Sam back tomorrow but there isn't a choice. On that basis I will back Kean to the extent that I won't be hurling abuse at him. He has had a preciously short time to prove himself and has had a lot of issues to face but I agree that he has been a bit too positive at times when acceptance of a poor performance backed by a bit of steel to change things would have sounded better.

Let us all hope for a good start against City and a positive result. It won't convince me yet that Kean is a long-term option but he is the only short-term option in my opinion. I could still be swayed to think it is acceptable for him still to be managing us next season, not just yet but I haven't totally written him off.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for you all…..Sam said he was back-stabbed, did Kean go to India while Sam was still in charge?! ;)

pretty sure he went for the 1st time after he was appointed caretaker. sam was long gone.

he went for answers for the players due to uncertainty dont forget and returned with assurances.

players who had been speaking out signed new contracts!

pretty sure he went for the 1st time after he was appointed caretaker. sam was long gone.

he went for answers for the players due to uncertainty dont forget and returned with assurances.

players who had been speaking out signed new contracts!

Yep--he's a gem.

Question for you all…..Sam said he was back-stabbed, did Kean go to India while Sam was still in charge?! ;)

Did he need to when his agent was working overtime to get him the job whilst sacking the most qualified person to take over the reins?

Kean as Anderson has had a payday at our expense. Harsh lesson in not to trust agents for Venky's.

Did he need to when his agent was working overtime to get him the job whilst sacking the most qualified person to take over the reins?

Kean as Anderson has had a payday at our expense. Harsh lesson in not to trust agents for Venky's.

More importantly, every industry in the world, the manager is accountable to his Chairman, so why didnt he go to JW?

Remember, JW initially knew nothing of Keans visit to India, in my experience in business, almost 45 years, quite extraordinary!!

More importantly, every industry in the world, the manager is accountable to his Chairman, so why didnt he go to JW?

Remember, JW initially knew nothing of Keans visit to India, in my experience in business, almost 45 years, quite extraordinary!!

maybe in effect JW had already left .. in all but confirmation (or atleast made it known he was going to leave, due to being out of the loop.

remember the rumours about him leaving the day after sam was sacked.. it was denied at the time, but he left not long after, sadly. :(

maybe in effect JW had already left .. in all but confirmation (or atleast made it known he was going to leave, due to being out of the loop.

remember the rumours about him leaving the day after sam was sacked.. it was denied at the time, but he left not long after, sadly. :(

That indeed could be a possibility, given he was not involved in Keans appointment.

In that event, who was making the decisions at Ewood and negotiating new contracts?

Mr Anderson? If that was the case, then the conflict of interest comes to the fore again.

That indeed could be a possibility, given he was not involved in Keans appointment.

In that case who was making the decisions at Ewood and negotiating new contracts?

Mr Anderson? If that was the case, then the conflict of interest comes to the fore again.

i agree. massive error in trust by the owners.. surely theyll learn from it ? (prays)

Given a choice I would have Sam back tomorrow but there isn't a choice. On that basis I will back Kean to the extent that I won't be hurling abuse at him. He has had a preciously short time to prove himself and has had a lot of issues to face but I agree that he has been a bit too positive at times when acceptance of a poor performance backed by a bit of steel to change things would have sounded better.

I believe all of the above is very sensible, excepting the assertion that "Ha has had a preciously short time to prove himself . . .". Kean has been the manager for 5 months. Excactly how much time does one 'deserve' to prove himself?

Frankly, I don't think the Rovers should be the forum that any manager "proves" themselves. That should be occuring at the League 1, 2 and Championship stages, all of which Kean bypassed. So I have no sympathy for the man.

According to Neil McDonald, JW/the board did not want Steve Kean to become manager.

Yet again proving that JW is a man of sense.

personally, if we stay up which i think we will, just. im willing to give the owners and kean and clean slate and a fresh start. i think the owners have been a bit Jeckyl and hyde so far. they have made poor poor footballing decision's in sacking Allardyce and appoiting a novice in Kean, thier communication has been close to a shambles, but they have invested like they promised, Formica and Rochina on permanents aswell as paying Cruz's and Jones's wages which would have included and decent loan fee to Man City and Schalke. They tied down Valuable members of the squad on long contracts and thier latest comments are 100% postive in my eyes and shows P.R. improvements. People who complain about the owners wanting a top 8 finish and a cup next season should look at themselves hard in the mirror and ask themselves if they really support this club. Birmingham won the league cup and stoke are in the F.A. cup final so why not suggest a final next year aslong as they back thier comments up by investing in a quality striker and midfielder then thier ambition is fair enough

As for Kean, if we stay up, like i said, im willing to give him a fresh shot, he will have learned an awful lot about management and he will be better for it. i do think he can become a decent enough manager and atleast it seems like he still has the players respect something Ince lost whilst on the same type of run. However im sure Kean knows that a poor start to next season either it be in the prem or the championship then he will be sacked. i also dont belive Jensen is the right assistant to play off Kean's style, Kean seems more of an arm round the shoulder type of guy whilst Jensen seems the same, need an assistant who will give it out to the players who aren't performing.

hopefully we stay up and if we do, this season will be wiped clear from my mind and we can start fresh beginning next season.

personally, if we stay up which i think we will, just. im willing to give the owners and kean and clean slate and a fresh start. i think the owners have been a bit Jeckyl and hyde so far. they have made poor poor footballing decision's in sacking Allardyce and appoiting a novice in Kean, thier communication has been close to a shambles, but they have invested like they promised, Formica and Rochina on permanents aswell as paying Cruz's and Jones's wages which would have included and decent loan fee to Man City and Schalke. They tied down Valuable members of the squad on long contracts and thier latest comments are 100% postive in my eyes and shows P.R. improvements. People who complain about the owners wanting a top 8 finish and a cup next season should look at themselves hard in the mirror and ask themselves if they really support this club. Birmingham won the league cup and stoke are in the F.A. cup final so why not suggest a final next year aslong as they back thier comments up by investing in a quality striker and midfielder then thier ambition is fair enough

As for Kean, if we stay up, like i said, im willing to give him a fresh shot, he will have learned an awful lot about management and he will be better for it. i do think he can become a decent enough manager and atleast it seems like he still has the players respect something Ince lost whilst on the same type of run. However im sure Kean knows that a poor start to next season either it be in the prem or the championship then he will be sacked. i also dont belive Jensen is the right assistant to play off Kean's style, Kean seems more of an arm round the shoulder type of guy whilst Jensen seems the same, need an assistant who will give it out to the players who aren't performing.

hopefully we stay up and if we do, this season will be whipped clear from my mind and we can start fresh beginning next season.

great post :rover:

although at this moment.. i wouldnt start next season ith kean as boss.

if he wins all our remaining games... i'll think about it. :brfc:

Great post?

If we somehow stay up, he needs to be shown the door immediately.

How on earth you expect the man to get us 40 points is beyond me.

dream on if we say up he will get a bonus if anything and a piece of land in India.

Archived