BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

731 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steve Kean stay or go

If this week has done anything it seems to have ensured the penny has finally dropped through Kean's bubble- if it makes a jot of difference we'll see.

Sadly I doubt it will do. I assume Kean was trying to win football matches before this week, and I'm sure he'll try to win football matches after this week.

But he's just not good enough, and the only thing that he could do to improve the situation - ie resigning - is no more likely than it was.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has woken up to a relegation battle.

Hopefully he will stop the BS about not talking about the drop, controlling the Everton game, beating last season's points tally, top half, we'l get the win we need and move on (3 months and counting)

He has woken up to a relegation battle.

Hopefully he will stop the BS about not talking about the drop, controlling the Everton game, beating last season's points tally, top half, we'l get the win we need and move on (3 months and counting)

The bullsh1t and spin will definitely not stop - it has to be part of his defence mechanism generally but particularly to colour the waters with Venky's.

Before anyone jumps on this post - I am not pro-Kean. However - at what point do the players start to take some responsibility for our current position ?

Though his tactics have been at times poor - in most matches we have been let down by players making individual mistakes - be it defensively or missing chances at key times.

The Everton match was somewhat of a disappointment (to say the least) but for the previous 3 or 4 matches I don't think you could overly criticise the players effort or possibly even the tactics (we looked far more balanced and secure - but lost some of the attack as a result).

One thing that he has been pulled up for is his overly positive press conferences. Though I would like him to add a little realism - the important thing is that he relays to the players any short fall in their play - which should ideally be done behind closed doors.

5 games to go - like him or loathe him - we need to at least keep off his back and hope he and the players can pull us through this. If we do go down - it won't just be Kean's fault !

Fans have been too good if anything. The LT has been throwing cotton punches at best. They have really done nothing to justify the rubbish from Kean.

Also, Dunny knows that the fans have been supporting the club through this spell. Only those with the power in their hands to make a difference are to blame or are able to change things (Venkys, Kean, players on pitch).

For the record, there is no 'special relationship' between the manager and me.

The story this morning was from his mouth - and from David Dunn's.

There is a fair amount of anger within the club about the sniping that has been going on.

Many of the rumours put about have been downright lies and spread by people with an agenda.

However the bottom line is you get judged by results and they have NOT been good enough.

There are many who were anti Kean from the start because it suited their agendas too.

Pardon me for giving him a chance.

There are many who were anti Kean from the start because it suited their agendas too.

If Kean had proved to be reasonably competant and kept Rovers in a secure mid-table position (not an unreasonable expectation given the first half of the season) we would not be having this debate and the continuing comparisons with the previous manager.

Eveyone was prepared to give Kean a chance and most people would have been delighted if he had been a success. But he's blown his chance in a big way, put the future of the club at risk and compounded it by making silly statements after matches and at his press conferences.

Kean has lost the trust of the fans and even if somehow we manage to survive this season most want him to leave in the summer.

He should be judged on his record.

It wouldn't have mattered if people were not willing to give him a chance initially (hardly unreasonable given the background to his appointment), if he was any cop he would've won them round by winning matches.

Won, Drawn, Lost that's all that matters. Not some utter crap about speaking languages and giving a good "presser".

Really nicko?

'Agendas' ay?

Talking to FURIOUS fans around the area, it is the owners and managers incompetence has come up time and time again- watching a club dsintegrate before their eyes- worst run for 25 years.

What devious agenda are they falling for?

If Kean had proved to be reasonably competant and kept Rovers in a secure mid-table position (not an unreasonable expectation given the first half of the season) we would not be having this debate and the continuing comparisons with the previous manager.

Eveyone was prepared to give Kean a chance and most people would have been delighted if he had been a success. But he's blown his chance in a big way, put the future of the club at risk and compounded it by making silly statements after matches and at his press conferences.

Kean has lost the trust of the fans and even if somehow we manage to survive this season most want him to leave in the summer.

Really?

Really?

I think so. Of course there were doubters and alot of anger after Sam was undeservedly sacked but Kean could have silenced those people by proving his worth as a manager. Even if he had done a half-decent job and and combined reasoanble results with "entertaining" football (part of his remit apparently) alot of fans would be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Seperate issue but you have to admit he's lucky still be to be in the job - many other clubs would have sacked him by now.

I'd argue that there were plenty of people, like me, who didn't want to give him a chance.

That wasn't because of any agenda, but it takes a very good manager to take a squad of largely pretty limited players to a position of comfort in that league.

Someone who was our first team coach and who had never managed before was highly unlikely to suddenly become a very good manager.

Obviously once he got appointed we supported him as manager of our club in that we wanted him to succeed, but we still didn't feel he should have had the chance to manage Blackburn Rovers.

There is a fair amount of anger within the club about the sniping that has been going on.

Many of the rumours put about have been downright lies and spread by people with an agenda.

However the bottom line is you get judged by results and they have NOT been good enough.

I was prepare to give kean a chance. I'm still don't get why the owners did not have a back up plan when their 1st target didn't want to come. but I've been to most games that Kean has been manager in and certain games I've been impressive and alot of games unimpressive. Defensive was have gone worst and Kean does not have a plan B incase plan A does not work.

Every manager should be judged by results and they haven't be good enough.

I will always support my team and will not never want us to lose at all.

I still think that kean is out of his depth and we need a proven PL manager and that is what I am hoping for in the summer. If they want us to reach around 8th place then we need them to appoint proven PL manager and to give that manager the funds to rebuild the squad and improve it.

Seperate issue but you have to admit he's lucky still be to be in the job - many other clubs would have sacked him by now.

You only sack a manager outside a transfer window if you think he has lost the backing of the players and that needs to be changed.

This is NOT the case at Rovers.

There is little point changing managers at this stage when the root problem is that you struggle to score goals...and you can't find that solution outside a transfer window.

So you make the best of what you have. You are struggling and will continue to struggle because you have not got a goalscorer.

That's a football analysis of where you are.

Rather than the hysterics that have been going on here for months.

It is odd that you look round the bottom half of the Premier League where EVERY club is in trouble and only one has had this level of tripe talked about it in the same period.

Wolves stay solid, West Ham have been less mental than usual, Wigan seem to have found a bit of fire, Blackpool are still in a state of shock about being there, Birmingham City know what they are.

Only Sunderland make murmurings and that is nothing on the scale of the 'noise' coming out about the new Rovers regime since they came in.

Odd.

big sam wasn't allow to buy a striker that he wanted in the summer so had to put up with a free and a loan signing.

I do accept your point nicko that we don't have a proven PL goalscorer and that is what we need and why we sign RSC in January. I thought maybe he would have come good but hasn't. I think if Kean is still manager then we will sign him.

I think he should play Kalinic up front against man city and hopefully if we come good. but yet again we do need to create chances for him and not let him try to score of scraps.

Nixon is, I suppose, your typical little gossip hack. the way he plays devils advocate with our feelings just to route out sources for ta is a disgrace.

It's not a two way street, he dines of information on here and in return we put dairy in him we wait up to hear news we already knew

He plays advocate with kean too, why ?

Move on Nixon, you are not in any way welcome

Who the hell do you think you are to speak for me? Just you stick to speaking your OWN mind, and then there can't be any misunderstandings.

Odd.

You may see it as odd but Rovers fans see it as a natural reaction to the unnecessary sacking of Sam and the risks of replacing him with a rookie manager.

Don't agree with your analysis about some of the other relagtion clubs - for instance West Ham fans have wanted Grant out for months and I think the owners were touting around for a replacement (Martin O'Neill ?) in mid-season.

Did Di Matteo lose the dressing-romm at WBA ? From recollection Peace made an early and very astute decision to sack him when results took a nosedive.

You only sack a manager outside a transfer window if you think he has lost the backing of the players and that needs to be changed.

That's not true nicko and you know it.

There's a fair few examples in the last few seasons of clubs changing managers outside of transfer windows and the club doing better as a result.

West Brom this season is a case in point. No evidence that Di Matteo had lost the dressing room, but they've gone from strength to strength under Woy. Chelsea removed Scolari and appointed Hiddink in 2009 - again Scolari was removed because of poor performances rather than dressing room unrest.

There is little point changing managers at this stage when the root problem is that you struggle to score goals...and you can't find that solution outside a transfer window.

So you make the best of what you have. You are struggling and will continue to struggle because you have not got a goalscorer.

Same squad last season finished 10th. Same squad started the first 17 games with 21 points and would be 9th now if that had been allowed to carry on.

You don't need a 15 goal a season striker, although in Kalinic we had someone who'd scored 4 in 6 games before Kean dropped him. Kean has actually managed to alienate the only striker who was scoring goals for us.

It is odd that you look round the bottom half of the Premier League where EVERY club is in trouble and only one has had this level of tripe talked about it in the same period.

Wolves stay solid, West Ham have been less mental than usual, Wigan seem to have found a bit of fire, Blackpool are still in a state of shock about being there, Birmingham City know what they are.

Only Sunderland make murmurings and that is nothing on the scale of the 'noise' coming out about the new Rovers regime since they came in.

Odd.

It's not odd. Look at the form tables. They're the most accurate predictor when it comes to there being 5 games left in the season.

The table from the end of the transfer window until now has Sunderland, Rovers and Blackpool as the bottom three teams. It's entirely expected that these are the three most talked about sides in terms of a decline. However Sunderland are a crucial three points clear of us now which is why there's less talk about them.

Not odd whatsoever.

I must admit nicko, that I wasn't happy when Kean was appointed. His links with Anderson and his early statements that seemed to imply that he could do better with this squad than the previous manager simply didn't sit right with me. I believed that Allardyce, who rescued Kean's career when he had got the push from Coventry, deserved a little more loyalty from Kean. He was simply too quick to job into the job and too quick to bypass the previous chairman and get his feet under the table in Pune. If that's an agenda, then fair enough I have an agenda - perhaps some would say I also have out of date ideas about loyalty.

Whilst one hoped he would make a decent job of it, I'll be honest and admit that for the reasons outlined above, I am never going warm to him - no matter how successful he might be.

Every manager is judged on results and I find it staggering that he complains about being harshly treated. When he took over from Sam he had an excellent base, in terms of points total, on which to build. He had a January transfer window and the promise of money ahead of him. Yet, four months later we have a wafer thin squad and are in the midst of a relegation battle, a battle which many predict we will lose.

I notice that today he is complaining about refereeing decisions - always the last refuge of a desperate manager. Yes, we have had some shocking decisions go against us, but we have also had some go the other way - the Jermaine Jones tackle that should have been a penalty for WBA and wasn't given.

Kean has made some pretty poor decisions thus far. The January window was totally wasted with £3.5 million being spent on a player who will seemingly make no contribution before next season. Rochina, a decent prospect, is still extremely raw, as was shown at Goodison last week, and will again make only a limited impact this season. The decision to let El-Hadji Diouf go, simply because of the media storm following the QPR game, was another poor decision in my opinion. With limited resouces available, to allow a player who had been constantly one of our top performers in the first half of the campaign to leave on loan has proved to be another own goal. If Kean got rid because he couldn't handle him it merely underlines his limited man-management abilities.

A run of ten games without a win is always going to put the manager under pressure. That's not being harsh but simply a fact of life in professional sport. The result is what matters. If you can entertain along the way, all the better. However, at the end of the day it's the result that counts. So far Kean has been unable to results and, apart from a handful of games, the enterainment value has been poor.

My only agenda is for the Rovers to do well. I simply don't believe that Kean is the man for the job and, as of yet, I haven't seen anything to persuade me otherwise.

That's a football analysis of where you are.

Rather than the hysterics that have been going on here for months.

Odd.

Failing to score goals is only one of our problems although a serious one. Leaking goals at the back, hardly creating a decent move in the entire game---these are just as important.

Archived