BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Strikers

I know this is covered somewhat in the summer transfer link but feel it warrants a thread of its own.

If we manage to stay up this year then solving the goalscoring problem is probably job 1 for the next manager (be that Steve Kean or whomsoever). If you were buying a striker who would you pick in the following price brackets (obviously your subjective valuation).

• < £5M
  • £5M to £10M
  • £10M to £15M
  • > £15M

Which of our current strikers would you keep/discard?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both are difficult questions as we don't know what the budget will be, who is available for that price and importantly who will take the players we want to get rid of. I'll give it a go though:

Players I would look to get rid of:

Roberts

Roque (back to City)

M.Diouf (back to United)

Benjani- Maybe a chance I would keep as a squad player who could do a job.

Players I would keep:

Kalinic- Would look to try and get him more involved. Very good chance he will demand a move at the end of the season so may be off as well.

Rochina

That would mean we need two strikers as I've always followed the method of two players for each position.

Good strikers cost money, it would cost you around £5m for a decent championship striker these days. I wouldn't be looking at some of the well past their prime players who are on huge wages though, RVN and Raul for example. I would be looking at younger players who with a bit of development could be sold for a nice profit in the future, which is then reinvested to improve the squad. In other words going back to the 'Sparky model' that served us so well but this time making the vast majority of the money available from sales to the manager.

Also if you are looking at addressing the goal scoring situation you have to look at the midfield as well, there is a lot of deadwood in that midfield and a real lack of quality. If Formica isn't going to be the answer we still need a creative midfielder as Dunny is finished at this level.

Steve Morison from Millwall is a good good player, i'd wack 3 million on him, very strong, good finisher and quick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Morison

Love to have Carlton Cole from west ham if they go down real handful of a player and on his day un playable. people may say he is simular to roberts or benjani but cole is much better technically and in the air. id expect a bid of around 8-9 million may pursuade sulliven and gold to sell due to the debt the club has.

5 strikers for next year

Kalinic

Rochina

Cole

Morison

Roberts

Ideally, I'd like to see the following:

Out:

Benjiani

Roberts

M. Diouf

RSC

In:

Long

Damn, mind has gone blank. I'd like to give Kalinic one more season ahead of crap like Roberts though. Not too sure about C. Cole, he's a bit hot and cold like Beattie and I agree with RVR's point about the midfield.

0-£5M - Goodwille 2m

£5M - £15M Roman Pavlyuchenko not really sure how much he would cost ?

£15M + - Neymar dont know the cost ? the earth?

out

Roberts - hes staying as he signed a new contract not so long ago

Roque - you should never get back with an old flame

M.Diouf

Benjani

Kalinic 50/50 stay or go

prob very lazy thinking on my part.

Crouch or Pavlyuchenko

Goodwillie or Matt Derbyshire

Crouch and Derbyshire could be a good partnership

I would keep Kalinic and Ruben

I would like Benjani, RSC and M.Diouf leaves

I never know why rovers offered Roberts a new contract but i would get rid.

Can't see spurs letting Crouch go.

I think we will sign RSC permanent if Kean is still manager.

He's a natural goalscorer and that what we need. I thought that MD and RSC would make a good partnership. But we need a creative midfield and Hoilett and maybe Olsson or if we signed a winger needs to supply crossers and goalscoring chances.

Goodwillie or Matt Derbyshire

Crouch and Derbyshire could be a good partnership

Derbyshire chaddy? are you sure? he's not premiership quality for me.

Just on the striker options, I still can't help but think we missed out big time in not going for Sturridge, only Bolton seemed interested, we should have been in there with them.

He's a natural goalscorer and that what we need. I thought that MD and RSC would make a good partnership. But we need a creative midfield and Hoilett and maybe Olsson or if we signed a winger needs to supply crossers and goalscoring chances.

If he is a natural goal scorer why was he sold?

Basically look at his stats and you will see he was sold as he could not cut it.

I have to disagree there Chaddy. I think Derbyshire's potential has long gone, and he's a 1st division level striker now. And Santa Cruz is just crap. I'd rather have Caicedo or even Jo ahead of Roque. I think you're right when you say he'll probably sign if Kean stays though.

I'd love Sturridge, but I doubt he would come. Jovanovic of Liverpool may be worth a look. He was chased by many before he came to Liverpool, and he may just need new surroundings.

• Backroom

I don't know why people want Benjani to leave, he's probably on low wages and has done better than most expected he would. He wouldn't be my first choice to start games if we have money to bring in new players but he is fine as backup.

Kalinic will most likely leave, RSC will go to the continent for an easier life and MBD will go to United reserves. In which case we need to bring in 2 strikers with Roberts and Benji as backup and Rochina as the up and comer.

If we stay up at the expense of West Ham I'd look at Ba or Cole or maybe even Rodellega or Moses from Wigan.

Whether a 'marquee' will be on the cards I don't know

0-£5M - Goodwille 2m

£5M - £15M Roman Pavlyuchenko not really sure how much he would cost ?

£15M + - Neymar dont know the cost ?

Pavlyuchenko wouldn't come - fans from other clubs reading this would be laughing at the prospect.

Suggesting Neymar is quite honestly hilarious.

Pavlyuchenko wouldn't come - fans from other clubs reading this would be laughing at the prospect.

Suggesting Neymar is quite honestly hilarious.

who would buy in those brackets?

i disagree about Pavlyuchenko,

dont think we could get Neymar but the thread did ask for a £15M + Striker - don't think we could get any @15m+ that i would consider value for money, but had to pick one, so i decided to think big;-)

Oscar Cardozo.

I would go for Santa Cruz if he is available on the cheap, I still think he is a very good striker for us. I don't care about the goals - for now - I know he will get there in the end. Keep Rochina, obviously, and Kalinic if he is willing.. Roberts is OK, but if someone wants him they can have him.

Oscar Cardozo. Daniel Sturridge would be an excellent shout as well, if he became available.

• Backroom

Chelsea will want to keep hold of Sturridge.

It's hard to talk about this when the likelihood of us going down is still so high. Maybe if we were 4-5 points off the drop zone we could start thinking about this.

Kalou will leave Chelsea due to Sturridge coming back, very good player but not sure where he'll end up.

A lot of people in here have mentioned Oscar Cardozo from SL Benfica before.

It seems he is one of the players that Benfica want to sell (they will sell Coentrao but they definetly don't want to).

Probably around 20 million €.

Archived