BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United

When they scored, loads of us were pointing out 2 Mancs in particular who were threatening to inflame the situation. All the steward did was to tell them repeatedly to sit down. An absolute disgrace and a spineless effort. Just more evidence of talking the talk but not walking the walk. Me and a mate were tempted to have a go ourselves but who would have ended-up being thrown out ?

To be fair, there was a united fan sat near us and after he was pointed out to the stewards they soon kicked him out, the other guy in the middle of the stand was kicked out, and did seem to try and kick off with the stewards as they were kicking him out.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was never a penalty in a million years.

Dowd is simply in the Peter Walton class of referee - a complete to$$er who couldnt wait to book a Rovers player. Why didnt he book vidic, rooney and scholes for exactly the same offneces a JJ and NZonzi ?

Not impressed with the last 12 minutes but fully understand our predicament at the time.

Why did Kean not have a defender on the bench when he puts 3 forwards and a muppet on it ? The man has not got a scooby about how to have a supporting bench. His misguided knowledge of what to do when the going gets tough riles me big time and I want him to leave our club and take Andrews with him.

Venkys have a lot to answer for and I do believe this summer will show us exactly what they have in store for us.

Personally, I believe we are safe. There is not a chance in hell the lashers will be allowed to win at mankchester. Wham know they have to win tomorrow which, when they draw (my forecast)will take wigan tumbling down with them. I do believe brum have more to worry about than anyone else.

Finally, thank god this season is nearly over. I couldnt take another home game and I have far better things to do next Sunday than venture to Wolverhampton - even though I have a ticket my son will be going instead. That is what Venkys, kean and co have done to me, they have killed off the passion I have for my club. As it stands I am seriously considering my tenure as a long standing season ticket holder and will only change my views once I have seen some positivity within the club.

That means (for me) Kean, Roberts, Andrews, Benjani and Brown removed from the club asap. RSC, if he is coming back on a season long loan which I understand from a city fan is already agreed in principle, should be fit. Dunny and MGP should both go on a long break, come back refreshed and fitter. The signing of JJ is a MUST as well as a central ball playing/winning/creative midfielder we crave. We must sign a quality striker to supplement Niko, if he is to stay.

WSe need to resolve the Givet scenario and keep him. Samba and Jones must NOT be sold. We need another youngish right back to be brought through the system.

The club has to prioritise who it wants to take us forward. The managers spot is critical.

Rovers need a Martin Jol or a Martin ONiell type manager. One with nouse, one who knows how to formulate a team and one who can at least see the way ahead because with this idiot in charge we will be relegated by the end of November.

Rev - that point means that Blackpool need to win at Old Trafford - Wigan need to beat West Ham and Stoke away - Birmingham need at least two points against Fulham and Spuds - and we only need a point at Wolves to stay up. Without that point we would have been even deeper in the doggy do. I agree with your sentiment - and it could come back to haunt us - but prior to this match many of us were happy just to keep our goal difference fairly intact - so lets not demean a point that could so easily have been taken away if we had pressed too much. Especially with a referee star struck by the United players and the occasion (being extremely kind)

It's all ifs and buts. I didn't expect Blackpool and Wolves to win today either. If Wigan beat West Ham tomorrow and we lose at Wolves then if either Blackpool or Wigan win on the last day we may well have had it.

We can't do anything about other results. All we can do is do our best when we're playing at all times and we didn't do that today towards the end when we knew other results had gone against us.

Has anyone banging on about it being a "stonewall" penalty watched the replay? Hernandez boots it out of play and then takes all the weight off his legs before draping his left over Robinson.

Nailed on penalty malk, can't complain about that, school boy error by Robinson, Hernandez was going nowhere.

We've had some poor decisions in recent weeks, but this wasn't one of them.

Haven't seen a replay of the pen so not sure.

BUT, at the time the ref never blew for a pen. The linesman never flagged for a pen. Yet the ref went over and all of a sudden it was a pen. Seemed a very dodgy way to come to a decision in my opinion.

Both were obviously not 100% sure, so surely that means no pen? Regardless of the what the replays suggest.

He was going to blow for a pen and consulted the linesman to confirm.

They got the correct decision. Stop whining.

BUT, at the time the ref never blew for a pen. The linesman never flagged for a pen. Yet the ref went over and all of a sudden it was a pen. Seemed a very dodgy way to come to a decision in my opinion.

Both were obviously not 100% sure, so surely that means no pen? Regardless of the what the replays suggest.

I think this is a very good point as regards the decision making.

But however they came to the decision, the facts remain that Robbo made contact with Hernandez and not the ball therefore it's 100% a penalty.

There's nothing else to it. Sure Hernandez was going nowhere and clearly played for the penalty, but neither of those are reasons for not giving a penalty.

It was messy to say the least, but if one, the assistant has 50% of the answer and the referee has the other 50% to the answer, then together they can reach or make the final decision.

Watching the repeats its a definite penalty, unfortunately for us.

But however they came to the decision, the facts remain that Robbo made contact with Hernandez and not the ball therefore it's 100% a penalty.

I disagree unless they have changed the rules recently.

He's put the ball out and has no chance of getting it - regardless of whether it's still technically in play when Robinson makes contact - no penalty - because the ball is dead.

If the ball is still on the pitch and not going out of play when contact is made - penalty, whether he would have got to it or not.

If someone had told me four days ago we would have gained a point against the scum, I would have been absolutely delighted with it. So, on the one hand I'm really chuffed.

Gutted about the penalty. I haven't seen the replay yet, and I couldn't see properly at the time as the (blatant red) guy sat next to me was leaning over so much I could barely see the Darwen End half. However, as we've seen so many times, Manure keep going until the very end when they're on a mission, and I have a feeling they'd have scored at some point. So I'm just going to try and tell myself not to be disappointed we only drew.

I thought the referee was insanely biased. This was confirmed to me even more when I met my friend (a manure supporter) after the game and even he said the ref was biased in their favour and anti us. For him to admit that is quite extraordinary, believe you me.

There were blatantly numerous manure fans in our bits, and I thought those with the audacity to goad the Rovers fans when they scored (JW upper) were a disgrace.

It was never a penalty in a million years.

Dowd is simply in the Peter Walton class of referee - a complete to$$er who couldnt wait to book a Rovers player. Why didnt he book vidic, rooney and scholes for exactly the same offneces a JJ and NZonzi ?

Not impressed with the last 12 minutes but fully understand our predicament at the time.

Why did Kean not have a defender on the bench when he puts 3 forwards and a muppet on it ? The man has not got a scooby about how to have a supporting bench. His misguided knowledge of what to do when the going gets tough riles me big time and I want him to leave our club and take Andrews with him.

Venkys have a lot to answer for and I do believe this summer will show us exactly what they have in store for us.

Personally, I believe we are safe. There is not a chance in hell the lashers will be allowed to win at mankchester. Wham know they have to win tomorrow which, when they draw (my forecast)will take wigan tumbling down with them. I do believe brum have more to worry about than anyone else.

Finally, thank god this season is nearly over. I couldnt take another home game and I have far better things to do next Sunday than venture to Wolverhampton - even though I have a ticket my son will be going instead. That is what Venkys, kean and co have done to me, they have killed off the passion I have for my club. As it stands I am seriously considering my tenure as a long standing season ticket holder and will only change my views once I have seen some positivity within the club.

That means (for me) Kean, Roberts, Andrews, Benjani and Brown removed from the club asap. RSC, if he is coming back on a season long loan which I understand from a city fan is already agreed in principle, should be fit. Dunny and MGP should both go on a long break, come back refreshed and fitter. The signing of JJ is a MUST as well as a central ball playing/winning/creative midfielder we crave. We must sign a quality striker to supplement Niko, if he is to stay.

WSe need to resolve the Givet scenario and keep him. Samba and Jones must NOT be sold. We need another youngish right back to be brought through the system.

The club has to prioritise who it wants to take us forward. The managers spot is critical.

Rovers need a Martin Jol or a Martin ONiell type manager. One with nouse, one who knows how to formulate a team and one who can at least see the way ahead because with this idiot in charge we will be relegated by the end of November.

WE JUST DREW AT HOME WITH THE CHAMPIONS

Get a grip!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable reaction. Pathetic by some.

Kean did well today. His subs made sense. His tactics worked. We got a point I seriously doubt you thought we'd get.

The ludicrous reactions get worse every week.

Who would you have had on the bench? who would you have brought on?? In fact, don't waste your energy as I really cant be bothered to point out how yet another fan seems so desperate to pile abuse onto Kean regardless of whether he deserves it.

Robbo cost us two points, not Kean.

Missed going to the match but saw it in some Irish bar. Tell me was there a chorus of boos that greeted all our sideways passing along the back line Simon? If not it's odd cos there was when we were 3-0 up under the last manager.

There were plenty of unhappy fans if not boos. However, I expect you will vigourously defend Kean in the same manner you did Allardyce for using these tactics?

I disagree unless they have changed the rules recently.

He's put the ball out and has no chance of getting it - regardless of whether it's still technically in play when Robinson makes contact - no penalty - because the ball is dead.

If the ball is still on the pitch and not going out of play when contact is made - penalty, whether he would have got to it or not.

If the ball was already out of play - then yes, the ball is dead.

If the ball is heading out of play but hasn't crossed the line, then the ball is very much alive. Even if the chances of Hernandez actually getting to it are minimal.

If Hernandez was bearing down on goal and Robbo made contact with him and brought him down, it'd be red card and a penalty. So Hernandez's position did have an impact on the overall decision, but the penalty still had to be given.

As far as I can remember, when Robbo made contact with Hernandez, the ball had not crossed the line.

It was messy to say the least, but if one, the assistant has 50% of the answer and the referee has the other 50% to the answer, then together they can reach or make the final decision.

Watching the repeats its a definite penalty, unfortunately for us.

Played for and got, blame the goalkeeper before you blame the ref and linesman. That's why he's an ex-England international.

There were plenty of unhappy fans if not boos. However, I expect you will vigourously defend Kean in the same manner you did Allardyce for using these tactics?

The two situations are totally different. In one instance the game was already won, in the other instance it was 1-1 and a win wouldve guaranteed safety.

Nevertheless, whilst I wouldve liked to have seen us go for a win, I can see Kean's reasoning for playing like we did.

Seems like a few people have been suckered into the old "if there's contact it's a foul" chestnut.

He kicks the ball out of play with his left foot, holds it out there to get contact with the Robinson and then buckles at the knee with his right leg.

I'm really not trying to whine about it but coupled with the defeatist posts constantly on here and those seemingly content to let this slide...

Pah. Nothing will change anyway.

If the ball was already out of play - then yes, the ball is dead.

If the ball is heading out of play but hasn't crossed the line, then the ball is very much alive. Even if the chances of Hernandez actually getting to it are minimal.

If Hernandez was bearing down on goal and Robbo made contact with him and brought him down, it'd be red card and a penalty. So Hernandez's position did have an impact on the overall decision, but the penalty still had to be given.

As far as I can remember, when Robbo made contact with Hernandez, the ball had not crossed the line.

So to use another example if someone balloons it way over the bar then is body checked and taken out by the keeper a second or two later it is not a penalty if it happens to have gone over the bye line, but it is if hasn't?.

Again I disagree because the ball is effectively dead. I have never heard of officials getting their heads together to decide if the ball was still in play before and itt strikes me of a case today of the officials getting together and bending the interpretation of the rules to suit their purposes.

Penalty, United get their point, they're happy and we would have been happy as well had results elsewhere gone differently.

Played for and got, blame the goalkeeper before you blame the ref and linesman. That's why he's an ex-England international.

He left his leg down for sure and went down professionally but not really played for cos it was the result of a crap 1st touch.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/wayne-rooney-blackburn-9291566/

penalty or no penalty, that was a top performance.

i'm sure people will be queueing up to criticise Kean yet again but his tactics were spot on today.

JJ get's better every time I watch it, surely the first name on the shopping list if we stay up.

Yeah I don't understand why people wouldnt think its a penalty.

It's an opportunistic manufactured dive thats why. If the floor had been strewn with shards of broken glass he wouldn't have gone down thats for sure.

Stewards at the Rovers are issued with a pager. They are directly instructed not to intervene in confrontations but to seek assistance via the device. Any interventions are conducted by colleagues who respond to the call. Stewards are not expected to become involved in confrontations alone.

The problems inside the ground today appeared to originate because of the numbers of opposition supporters in the ground. This seems to have stretched the resources of the club.

It also has to be said that the response of Rovers fans to the presence of United supporters was not a credit to the club. Many were aggressive towards individual stewards who were blamed for not intervening when actually they were following instructions passed on directly from high up within the club hierarchy.

I witnessed physical aggression between Rovers fans and physical intimidation of stewards. As one of the 'spineless' ones, and a Rovers fan for forty odd years to boot, I was frankly shocked by the mob mentality amongst sections of the crowd in the Jack Walker. For example, getting four United fans out of the stand wasn't enough for some Rovers fans. One pursued me down the steps to aggressively challenge why I hadn't got them out sooner. In common with the other fans who vented their anger in my direction, I asked him to complain about my conduct directly to the club, and invited him to take down my ID name and number. Strangely, when this offer was made, he and the other complainants immediately walked away.

I am not using a pseudonym on this site. I work in the Jack Walker Upper, (right, Blackburn End). I strongly suggest anyone who has complaints should contact the club to make a formal complaint. I will gladly comply.

Archived