BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United

football is all about differnt view points and the pen points this out.

Having seen it 5-6 times, for me the forward falls before the goalkeeper touches him, his forward movement them bring him in to contact with our goal keeper and goes down. Our goalkeeper is pulling his handa away from the forward and in fact does not touch him.

with this in mind for me is no pen.

we played well and I would of teken a point, however will this be enough its doing to be a long 8 days.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which was a problem for Wolves as well until recently, 6 goals in their last two games. Doyle their best striker was on the bench today after a few weeks out, he should be starting against us I would imagine.

Going away to Wolves requiring a result could be very difficult.

More difficult than today ?

There's no such thing as "effectively dead". Either it's in play and all fouls count, or it's out of play and no fouls count. Making contact with a man without touching the ball is usually classed as a foul. The ball wasn't dead.

Referees regularly ask their assistants about decisions. He simply didn't have that great a view of the incident whilst his linesman was closer to the action. He wouldve seen whether contact was made, whether Robbo got any of the ball and whether it was in play all much better than the referee.

I've had a look at the Fifa laws of the game which do indeed state that a foul in your own area while the ball is "in play" is a penalty kick. I still maintain it's one of those that where the ball is clearly going out of play and the attacking player can't get to it, nine times out of ten the referee won't give it without even giving a second thought to whether it's actually crossed the white line or not.

If the game was officiated to the letter of the law that strictly every week there'd be six or seven penalties to each side every week for technical fouls committed in the penalty area. Doesn't happen (- at least not unless Clattenburglar is officiating)

Anyway we've found our new tactic for next season, boot the ball away anywhere and go down over your opponents trailing leg. Penalty. Phil Dowd says so.

I also wonder if the reason why there was such a delay in the award is that someone else in the stadium was checking a slow motion replay? Whilst that may be the way to go for the future it's against the rules at present as far as I'm aware.

More difficult than today ?

I would say yes there is an argument that suggests this game will be more difficult, reasons why:

1- We are away- our away record is poor.

2- Wolves are at home- they will want to finish their season by winning their final home game.

3- Both sides may need a result to stay up, huge pressure on both sides on the day.

4- Wolves are in better goalscoring form.

5- In several recent performances I would argue we have had a bit of luck. United hitting the woodwork today, Bolton hitting the post against us. I also don't think we have playing as well as some on here suggest.

I'm not saying we can't beat Wolves as any result is possible, but Wolves i would imagine will fancy their chances against us and will start as favourites.

I would say yes there is an argument that suggests this game will be more difficult, reasons why:

1- We are away- our away record is poor.

2- Wolves are at home- they will want to finish their season by winning their final home game.

3- Both sides may need a result to stay up, huge pressure on both sides on the day.

4- Wolves are in better goalscoring form.

5- In several recent performances I would argue we have had a bit of luck. United hitting the woodwork today, Bolton hitting the post against us. I also don't think we have playing as well as some on here suggest.

I'm not saying we can't beat Wolves as any result is possible, but Wolves i would imagine will fancy their chances against us and will start as favourites.

When it kicks off both teams will need to win to be sure of staying up. Of course events elsewhere ( Old Trafford ? ) may mean that neither team will ultimately have to bust a gut. It'll come down to who deals with the pressure best. I'd be quietly confident as long as we have our first 11 out there.

Thought we played well today, albeit not as in control of the game as at Upton Park last week.

Robinson to blame for the penalty - why do defenders/ goalkeepers make rash challenges on players who are no danger to the goal ? .

Saw an amazing statistic somewhere today - a league table based on half-time scores only has Rovers in 4th place !

The lesson for next weekend is we must be ahead at half time or we are likely to lose.

That bugged me as well. You could clearly see that the ball wasn't over the line on every one of those replays, and yet they kept rolling it from angles I didn't even know existed.

I think it's worth mentioning that Kean got his substitutions right today. No need to risk both out central midfielders picking up a red card for the last game, same thing with Samba's injury. I was perplexed to see Pedersen replace Hoilett, but he made a lot of good defensive work and actually offered some good set pieces.

Also, when was the last time Emerton was this good? He kept putting in devilish crosses throughout the whole game and worked his legs off in midfield. If he can keep that up (which I somehow doubt) he should start every game on the right wing.

Something I noticed as well - also v whu emerton's crossing has improved.

Like v whu gutted we conceeded as equalizer. But happy with the unexpected point.

Kean did get things right today - credit has to be given when due. Substitutions were also right. Maybe Kean is learning. But he still does NOT get my vote for him to stay as manager.

Winning is a very rare occurence for us though - Wolves are not in bad form too.

Wolves' home form is miles better than our our away form but let's wait for tomorrow's games have been played before we panic too much. let's see where we are after all of us in the bottom 5 have played 37.

One point I'd like to raise that I don't think anyone else has is quite how long it took for the "penalty" decision to be taken.

From my seat towards the Blackburn End of the Riverside, I was in no position to tell, but it should have been quite clear-cut. Phil "I've been slagged off so often by Fergie that I'm frightened of what he'll say" Dowd was behind the incident so he should have looked to his Assistant Referee. If the A.R. thought it was a penalty, surely he should have indicated so by putting his arm across his chest in the approved signal to the Ref. If he didn't, then "No Penalty".

Unless, of course, Phil "I've been slagged off so often by Fergie that I'm frightened of what he'll say" Dowd was determined to give them a pen.

One point I'd like to raise that I don't think anyone else has is quite how long it took for the "penalty" decision to be taken.

I mentioned it above. I wonder if someone somewhere was checking a slow motion replay.

Me Steve Kean you are a disgrace to this club.

Giving up trying for a win and ending up with a point that may well see us get relegated. Sums you up you failure.

You horrible, horrible man.

Get out of my town and my club you slimy pr!k.

The last 15 minutes was Keiths best ever by the way.

He made no mistakes at all.

Giving up trying for a win and ending up with a point that may well see us get relegated. Sums you up you failure.

Keane will have got us relegated because of actions over 5 months, not the tail-end of one match that we were probably relieved not to lose. .

I usually enjoy reading your posts but this is pure tosh, you have to give credit where credit is due, so 10 mins left in a game and we pile everybody forward to attack the champions including the 3 subs to try and get 3 points or be happy with a vital point that would have been fantastic if it had not been for Blackpool and Wolves winning.

All the game we played it very smart and let United attack and hold possesion while we threw in vital challenges and fast counter attacks that nearly won us the match yet because there were ten minutes left you want to see us throw caution to the wind and go all out attack with our team knackered from running their tripe out and out of shape with our 3 best players having gone off. Going into the next match after having lost in the 95th minute would have done bugger all for morale.

I can understand your frustration but Blaming Kean after he did nothing wrong is not right, the guy has had a draw at the Emirates which not many clubs have and held the Champions to a draw when they were desperate for a win isnt something to sneeze at. After some of the decisions made by our owners this year and the turmoil behind the scenes it must take some balls to to try and steady this ship but Kean hasnt done that bad and seems to have the players backing and is learning at fast rate.

Do I want him here next year? Hell no, we need an acomplished manager but until the games have ended next sunday I would rather we focus on positives.

I believe Man Utd will end the season in style at Old Trafford, and Berbatov, Scholes, Carrink, Anderson and Fletcher will be given time to play the game so I still think Blackpool will at best get a draw.

The main concern is the game between Wigan and West Ham but with Parker back for West Ham this could be to nervy for Wigan.

I say that West Ham, Wigan and Blackpool will go down.

Excellent post. There are a lot of numpties on here who know as much about football as I know about knitting. To go all out offensive against a team far superior than us and lose a vital point would have been foolish. Time will tell.

Excellent post. There are a lot of numpties on here who know as much about football as I know about knitting. To go all out offensive against a team far superior than us and lose a vital point would have been foolish. Time will tell.

They're all over the LT site, calling Kean a "Donut" (sic) for not going after Utd.

FFS.

• Backroom

I can't believe people really expected us to go all out at them in the last ten minutes after holding firm all game, some should stick to FIFA.

After their goal we had to 2 subs due to injuries, at this stage our lone striker was absolutely dead on his feet and one of the subs (Dunn) looked just as tired after 10 minutes, one time we tried to push forward they looked far more likely to counter us.

For once Kean did what a experienced manager (say our previous one) would have done, a point is huge against the champions, yes 3 would have seen us safe but I feel if we went at them we would have left with 0 thus going behind Wolves and level with Blackpool.

I believe Man Utd will end the season in style at Old Trafford, and Berbatov, Scholes, Carrink, Anderson and Fletcher will be given time to play the game so I still think Blackpool will at best get a draw.

The main concern is the game between Wigan and West Ham but with Parker back for West Ham this could be to nervy for Wigan.

I say that West Ham, Wigan and Blackpool will go down.

If WHam start this game like they finished the game against us with lots of attackers, then I can see them getting the 3 points, which will mean neither of them can catch us a week tomorrow.

Add our goal difference to that and I won't [can't yet] say, "We're safe"; but as near as damn it!

Archived