BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of Wolves vs. Rovers; 22 May 2011.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic day, fantastic performance leading to a completely stress free afternoon.

As is his wont Roberts should have buried a simple one on one for 4-0 in the second half and the score could really have been embarrassing. For large parts of the afternoon it looked like we could be sending Wolves down on goal difference by virtue of giving them a right shoeing. As it was we understandably eased off a tad in the second half but they only got back in the game following a very poor free kick decision from Webb after Jermain Jones made a great tackle. Then Hunt scored a belter to give the scoreline a very flattering look from their point of view. But I never felt we wouldn't win once we'd kicked off.

Junior was absolutely sensational. I'd be more disappointed to see him leave Ewood than Phil Jones in the summer but it goes without saying we need to move heaven and earth to try and keep Robinson, Samba, Phil Jones, Junior and Olsson at the Club. If we can do that the future should be bright. At least the previous owners aren't in charge, if they were the cash signs would be ringing up in their eyes already.

I can never remember a more exciting day of football in forty years than yesterday, and with the way it panned out so stress free it was an absolute privilege to be involved. Just proves once again our League is the best and most exciting in the world regardless of moans about lack of quality.

I'll never forget the lovely but rather false camaraderie at the end as thousands of Wolves fans massed on the pitch facing us at the end to join us in celebration and chants of "We are staying up!" Wouldn't have fancied them at all stood there if we'd stayed up and they'd gone down as looked likely until the 87th minute! :lol:

Every so often an afternoon comes along to remind you why you're a football fan and why you put up with all the heartbreak and agony. Yesterday was that afternoon.

Fantastic effort from Steve Kean and the players to get eight points from the last four games after a ten or eleven match losing run. And rarely over the years have I seen the players show such commitment and bottle. Well done.

Fantastic post RB.

In the days leading up to this game I was absolutely bricking it, and after half an hour or so I was serenely calm and actually enjoying the afternoon too!!! I had the three other games on simultaneously on Sky, and it was great in the second half to just enjoy the drama of the day rather than getting panicky about every goal that went in elsewhere.

Incredibly proud of our players and delighted for everybody involved in our club. :brfc:

I doubt I'll ever hug as many fellow MBers again - certainly not in one afternoon.

Nothing to say but what a fantastic day.

Noel Brotherston used to do that on a regular basis - only difference he would let them get up and then he would beat them again :rover:

Noel Brotherston was good but he never did it at the top level DMTP. Duff was up there too of course but Duggie was the best and left top players sprawling in his wake like Hoilett did regularly.... and I only caught the last few seasons of his career.

Obviously not because at that stage with either a point or a win we were more than safe! A completely different scenario to the end of the United game. :tu:

I was actually referring to the Wolves game Simon when keep ball in the final 5 mins was greeted by a chorus of boos from some of those visionary's to our left. ;)

Noel Brotherston was good but he never did it at the top level DMTP. Duff was up there too of course but Duggie was the best and left top players sprawling in his wake like Hoilett did regularly.... and I only caught the last few seasons of his career.

IMMHO, Duggie was the best.

I considered him a better dribbler of the ball than Matthews. The only way he was stopped was with a foul.

Hoilett is a special talent that should not be sold ( I was going to say at any price) but will eventually be sold.

Please don't coach that style he has out of him.

I know this is going to be thought of as way over the top, but his goal yesterday reminded me of the Messi goal v RM somewhat; nobody got close to him whilst he kept the ball at his foot.

IMMHO, Duggie was the best.

I considered him a better dribbler of the ball than Matthews. The only way he was stopped was with a foul.

Hoilett is a special talent that should not be sold ( I was going to say at any price) but will eventually be sold.

Please don't coach that style he has out of him.

Inevitable. He makes and scores goals and that is a very rare commodity. When Duff learned to score as well as make em he went for 17m. If we could teach Hoilett how to defendv a bit then his value will be astronomical. The best chance of keeping him that we have is for the rao's to sell the club to someone really wealthy.

Inevitable. He makes and scores goals and that is a very rare commodity. When Duff learned to score as well as make em he went for 17m. If we could teach Hoilett how to defendv a bit then his value will be astronomical. The best chance of keeping him that we have is for the rao's to sell the club to someone really wealthy.

True, Theno, but can you remember Duff at the Rovers, and then Duff at Chel$ki after a few months?

He became a different player. For me, he lost the instinctive type of play that made him the player he was.

Seems like den is a convert. Kean showed he can win (another) must win game.

Seems like Steve Kean is a convert too.... 4-5-1 is the only way forward in the Prem. The Indians will follow suit if they manage to get up to speed. It's working well now that we have midfield growlers N'Zonzi and jones paired up in the middle to protect the defence and allow the other midfielders to get up in support of the striker.

I must say that Jones is exactly what we have been missing since sav broke his leg. If he'd been here all season he'd likely be vying with Hoilett and Phil Jones for player of the season imo. His application is superb for a loan player and he has brought the energy and attitude to us that his international team mate Stuart Holden brought to Bolton (anybody noticed that they've been in virtual freefall since he got injured?.... and thats despite the myth that Coyle is a footballing visionary! The two matches that I have seen this season shows him to be more like the new John Beck).

True, Theno, but can you remember Duff at the Rovers, and then Duff at Chel$ki after a few months?

He became a different player. For me, he lost the instinctive type of play that made him the player he was.

Thats the Special One Jose Mourhino to blame for that dave not Damien Duff. The dapper and trendy media friendly version of Sam Allardyce. He took two of the worlds best widemen of their generation in Duff and Robben and forced em to play narrow in support of Drogba. The special one's tactics made em dull to watch, almost impossible to beat, won Chelsea the title and got himself the sack.

With our budget Jose would have been slaughtered by our massed ranks of 'special ones' :rolleyes: on the Blackburn End

I was actually referring to the Wolves game Simon when keep ball in the final 5 mins was greeted by a chorus of boos from some of those visionary's to our left. ;)

That's not the same situation either Gordon.

Blatantly turning down a clear opportunity to make it 4-0 when the game is done and dusted at 3-0 is not the same at all imo as being bit circumspect when holding a one goal lead. We all saw yesterday how vitally important goal differences can be.

Yes, PB, we were there right at the front of the Rovers fans, pitchside. Have not missed a match this season and only one last. :)

You was on the telly celebrating after Emerton's goal :)

Yes, PB, we were there right at the front of the Rovers fans, pitchside. Have not missed a match this season and only one last. :)

Was it you who was holding a blue and white cornered flag with the club badge on when the game had finished?

What a day out. Was quality from start to finish. Even ended up with a bit of pie on my jacket from the upper tier :lol:

The morning after the day before.

Phew, what a roller coaster of a ride and thank god that this season has now been put to bed.

if I could have wished one thing extra from yesterday, it would have been to see the dingles also relegated from the Championship, however I am totally satisfied to see the demise of both wham and big city fc.

Onto my team, Rovers. I have slated Kean but he gets my respect this morning for saving us HOWEVER I do say that if the club had stayed with Allardyce we wouldnt have been down there in the first place. I still dont think Kean and Jensen is the dream partnership but if we are going to play football like we did in the first half then we need a manager that can promote a 90 minute match and not a 45 minute goalfest as well as a 45 minute white knuckle ride.

We must sign JJ and retain Samba, Jones and Junior. I just see one of those 3 leaving us.

We must now rid the club of hangers on and deadwood. Andrews,Brown,Goulon,Dunn,Cruz should leave. if we are to keep Cruz then he must be fit and we must find a midfielder along the lines of David Bentley to provide the ammunition. I just dont see Junior as a winger. Bentley is for sale at a cool £4m according to spuds fans and this is the fee agreed if brum had stayed up.

Kean must be replaced by a decent tactically aware manager.

Anyhow, its all over.

enjoy summer, keep it safe and we all regroup for the Asian Cup in July.

That's not the same situation either Gordon.

Blatantly turning down a clear opportunity to make it 4-0 when the game is done and dusted at 3-0 is not the same at all imo as being bit circumspect when holding a one goal lead. We all saw yesterday how vitally important goal differences can be.

Tenuous explanation Simon. There are thousands in Brum who might argue with you.

Keep ball in Dec and aimless exaggerated keep ball twice in May is different is it? Personally I had no problem with any of those tacticvs.

Was it you who was holding a blue and white cornered flag with the club badge on when the game had finished?

What a day out. Was quality from start to finish. Even ended up with a bit of pie on my jacket from the upper tier :lol:

Yes. It's with me for most matches except when we are sitting with the opposition although even there it comes out occasionally :P

I'm hoping the club shop might do another run of those flags as it's wearing a bit!

Yes. It's with me for most matches except when we are sitting with the opposition although even there it comes out occasionally :P

I'm hoping the club shop might do another run of those flags as it's wearing a bit!

You were just in front of me. My mate's were wearing the chicken hats! :lol:

Evening chaps,

Long time regular lurker and semi frequent poster here.

Just sat watching the highlights of your game from today and thought I'd drop in and say well done on a huge win and thanks for not stuffing up our day!!!!

The decent non thug side of Birmingham had its collective heart in its mouth today as the first half hammering you gave Wolves looked like saving Small Heath from the drop.

I'm delighted you stayed up, delighted you helped send them lot down and delighted we will continue to play you 8 times a season.

Look forward to my annual trip to Ewood next season.

Enjoy the summer.

Cheers Trent. So glad we played a part in the demise of BCFC!

Archived