BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Preview of Wolves vs. Rovers; 22 May 2011.

Anyone else hate that little cretin Hunt? I can't stand him, that challenge on Jones was unnecessary it made me think of his "accidental challenge" on Cech years ago, it was a great finish for his goal though.

Can't believe he didn't get a booking for that challenge. And the foul on him by Jones that gave them the first goal wasn't one.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else hate that little cretin Hunt? I can't stand him, that challenge on Jones was unnecessary it made me think of his "accidental challenge" on Cech years ago, it was a great finish for his goal though.

yep.. cant stand him.. dirty sod.. and thick as anything.. just hear him talk.. he's simple!

he also tried to break tugays leg.. in a meaningless last game of the season.. the 3-3 game.

wolves fan outside the ground said we were the best team to have played there all season! and our fans were the best too.

rare praise! :brfc:

to roversmum.. give my regards to john for the summer.. spoke to him and yourself many times. :D

i may even reveal my identity next season! :D

Ended up having to ferry cadets around yesterday so could only listen to the radio (fortunately).

Knowing the savoury nature of the Wolves supporters I was a bit worried for you guys at the ground when we were 3-0 up, but fortunately they stayed up, so all good. Wouldn't have fancied going through that subway if they hadn't survived

yep.. cant stand him.. dirty sod.. and thick as anything.. just hear him talk.. he's simple!

Straight booking for that lunge on Jones. The ball had already been played and it was right in front of the ref. But Webb was going through the motions.

Great day out, from the atmosphere in the blues bar over breakfast through to the two sets of fans friendly faceoff at the end. (If wolves had been relegated it could have well and truely been fun and games for the police.) Was rather chuffed with my sizeable free meal thanks to the club, although the queues were horribly long. Wolves really should've been better prepared. I could be being harsh but it all seemed horribly expensive too, although the generosity of a tenner made sure you still got a good deal.

The game - first half was awsome. Not just offensively, but also defensively. To me wolves started quite brightly, yet the team worked tremendously hard to make sure we gave nothing away. All three goals were good goals. The team looked threatening. From set pieces we utterly dominated them, and had we got a bit more power on any one of our free kicks/corners, the score could easily have been more. Junior was great in a roaming role, and even Roberts did a decent job of holding up the ball. My motm would be Salgado who was a threat both offensively and defensively, and looked utter class with every touch of the ball. Emerton would come in joint second with Hoillett for me, and it was no suprise that throughout the game, Wolves had very little down our right flank, as both Emo and Salgado were immense.

Second half, we weathered the storm well, and should have been 4-0 up had roberts not fluffed an easy one on one (why he should not be a starter at a premiership club). However towards the midway point of the second half, our tempo and energy levels began to dip, and Wolves came back into it. The free kick was harsh although rovers went to sleep. As for the second, I felt Olsson should've tracked his man a lot better, and Hunt never should've had the space to make the shot. Having said that Hunt was lucky to be on the pitch and confirmed what a pillock he is.

Best thing was the atmosphere - simply immense from start to finish. The two sets of fans applauding each other after the game - and also as the coaches departed from wolverhampton - and the rovers players coming over to celebrate were magical moments adding to a very special day.

I'm still not a fan of Kean, and still think the team needs a fair bit of work on it - namely up front, and a midfielder who is more box to box (we often looked short in the middle when Junior drifted out wide) but today the team, tactics and substitutions were spot on. One swallow doesn't make a summer, but it is great to see such an encouraging sign. Not sure it's enough to warrent Kean a job, but it's a great encouragement to see the very positive signs from the wolves game.

Great day out and one to live in the memory. Good to meet fellow m/b members like Glenn and Gill, Preston Blue, Aggy blue, Manchester Blue, Biddy, Paul, American and Mrs American, Clare and last but not least Tris and Claire. Hope you're better today tris. :lol:

Couldn't believe us scoring three times in the first half, but credit to the manager and players for causing Wolves so many problems. Wolves looked dead and buried at half time. Shame about the second half disply that stemmed from poor substitutions. Taking off Roberts and Hoilett took away all the threat we had and allowed Wolves to take the game back to us. Still, We're at the end of another season and to be honest, I'm glad to see the back of it. We've taken the meaning of self harm to a new level.

I'm going to sit back now and watch from the sidelines. I'm hoping for, but not expecting, the Raos to sit down, not be fooled by our recent escape, and vow that we wont go to this place again. I'm hoping that they become more professional in their decision making, start to listen to people who have experience but no self interests and who simply want the best for BRFC. I'm hoping they don't continue this experiment with Kean and I'm hoping they can attract a manager with the know how to spend any funds wisely and who can attract "proper" players to the club. [as Graeme Soness used to say.] I'm hoping they can bring in a manager who can hold the respect of the majority of the fans and most of the players. Hoping, but not expecting.

Oh, and the way the Wolves fans came across the pitch at the end of the game, to give and recieve applause with the rovers fans, reminded me of the Zulu's respect for the British army at Rourke's drift. :lol: I felt like Stanley Baker. Great stuff.

One quick observation about Junior and Roberts substitutions, Roberts got decked a number of times and each time it was his right leg. As time went on, he was clutching it more and more. The same thing happened to Junior. I saw him running upfield and limping as he did it. I can only surmise that both were taken off because they were in danger of sustaining injury. I was expecting a red card yesterday and think that maybe there should have been at least one Wolves player sent off. They were Stoke level of physical.

Really enjoyed yesterday ... up until the point we left the ground and a knucle-dragger punched my brother in the face :angry2: I thought attacking "shirts" with families in tow was a big no-no in the unwritten hooligan code. Put a bit of a dampner on the rest of the day. God-only-knows what would have happened if we had sent them down. :blink:

Really enjoyed yesterday ... up until the point we left the ground and a knucle-dragger punched my brother in the face :angry2: I thought attacking "shirts" with families in tow was a big no-no in the unwritten hooligan code. Put a bit of a dampner on the rest of the day. God-only-knows what would have happened if we had sent them down. :blink:

Absolute scum, where the hells a copper when you want one......

One quick observation about Junior and Roberts substitutions, Roberts got decked a number of times and each time it was his right leg. As time went on, he was clutching it more and more. The same thing happened to Junior. I saw him running upfield and limping as he did it. I can only surmise that both were taken off because they were in danger of sustaining injury. I was expecting a red card yesterday and think that maybe there should have been at least one Wolves player sent off. They were Stoke level of physical.

I certainly saw Junior was struggling. He went to chase down a ball in the corner and had to literally give up as he was suffering that bad. Bit of a random one bringing on Mame but I too think the subes had to be made.

Such relief for the summer now.

How Howard Webb got the World Cup Final I'll never know. He never officiates a game while sticking to the rules. Instead he relies too heavily on letting the game flow which gives a massive advantage to defences and he ends up playing an evening up system where every challenge is judged within the concept of the game and his mood, rather than just looking objectively at a foul and saying 'that is worth a yellow card'. It's a kind of consistency, but it's not a fair consistency. It stems from idiots who don't like to see red cards because it ruins the game. Playing within the rules is what stops the game being ruined.

Samba's booking was a terrible decision. For starters it wasn't a foul, but even if you give the free-kick it is either no yellow because it wasn't persistent fouling, wasn't a shirt pull and was an off the ball incident with no malice, or it is a red card if it is a goal scoring opportunity (which it wasn't). How he pulled a yellow out yet Henry escaped without a second yellow and Hunt wasn't booked I'll never know. He just ended up playing by his own rules.

Absolute scum, where the hells a copper when you want one......

the people of wolves have been known to stand on bridge and throw things at opposing fans. ive had it 4 or 5 times. disgusting.

same in all towns, all have there scumbags.

coppers yesterday were too busy lining the pitch as they thought we'd invade too.

Had a brilliant day on the fun bus from Feni club with Tris, Kiwiwannabe, Bob Fleming + Mrs Bob Fleming then saw plenty others at the ground. Great atmosphere all round, glad it was all smiles though don't think it'd be quite as friendly.

Couple of photos from end of the game, rest are here

Salgado dodging the stewards :D

5750539538_848450283f.jpg

Team coming back out

5749995395_e9ca7da50e.jpg

coppers yesterday were too busy lining the pitch as they thought we'd invade too.

tbf I think they did the right thing, they kept them at distance from us keeping it all friendly.

Cracking result.

True, we should never have been put in such a position, but the past is the past and we need to look forward.

Kean never was and never will be my choice for manager, for a host of reasons, but it appears that he's staying and as such I think it's only fair to give him a fresh start next season.

If he continues how he's performed this season though, he must be out before Xmas.

Fortunately I missed most of the stress of this match, doing the marriage thing over the weekend, so I just saw the result at the end - but I'm just glad it's all over and I'm looking forward to a summer of speculation and hopefully squad strengthening.

Great day!

I thought in the first half we we're terrific, particularly given the circumstances.

In my opinion Kean deserves a chance, with a summer to bring in some more of his players and some much needed stability.

Also like to thank all the American Rovers who I watched the game with in New York, Jay, Jimmy, Ste, Anna et al. Certainly made up for not being able to go to Molyneux.

Bring on next season! 11 consecutive seasons at the top! Great stuff.

Some great pictures there Clare. How do you avoid getting pinched by the stewards taking photos at Ewood? Do you have an official permit or a very discrete yet high quality camera?

In my opinion Kean deserves a chance, with a summer to bring in some more of his players and some much needed stability.

Rog wash your mouth out! How about samba as player/manager with Nelsen as his assistant and Kean as just someone to stand in the coaching area.

Rog wash your mouth out! How about samba as player/manager with Nelsen as his assistant and Kean as just someone to stand in the coaching area.

Let me guess you are referring to the Blackpool half time team talk again? So Samba did something that every captain up and down the country does so why not make all captains managers? Stevie G did something similar at Istanbul, he should be Liverpool manager lol!

This was a totally unexpected and fantastic result to end the season. I did not think we would win this at all, but to be 3-0 at half time was unreal and made for a very pleasant afternoon, without going through the nervous desperation that other fans were going through. Hoillet had another great game and I thought Emerton showed again that he is an important member of the squad. This was a great way to end an awful season and sends us into the summer on a high. By staying up we have a better chance of keeping our best players. Phew, thank God the season is over!

Oh look, was it me dreaming or did we really (as in real) score x3 when we showed some conviction - Who's dreaming now TS (now I wonder what that could stand for)? - looks like you with your fantasist drawback of players of yesteryear

Just shows that it can be done with a bit of self belief and confidence and oh look the point didn't realy matter in the end after all

Hang on a minute matey , you've made a big leap of what's possible from Man Utd to Wolves.

Let me guess you are referring to the Blackpool half time team talk again? So Samba did something that every captain up and down the country does so why not make all captains managers? Stevie G Kenny Dalglish

did something similar at Istanbul Wembley 78, he should be Liverpool manager lol!

Fixed it for you. :P

Can I have a whinge?

I have just read this thread from page 20 to date, from about two hours before kick-off.

The ridiculous stuff that is posted during a game when the posters are not AT the game makes me cringe. I know you are all true Rovers fans and get uptight when things aren't going smoothly but being at the ground gives a different experience.

There was no nail biting and tummy aches for me once we went two-nil up. We played Wolves off the park in the first half.

"There will be a minimum of two minutes of added time" Then up pops Junior with a delightful third goal.

Wolves are worried about goal difference. And we have the game won.

As expected they come at us strong in the second half but we weather the storm and the game goes on.

Eventually they score from a training ground move. They play a record "Na na na.......na na na....." etc and we Rovers fans are jumping up and down, singing it as well because we know we are staying up. The whole ground is rocking.

Scores at other grounds filter around the crowd and they start singing, "One goal, we only need one goal".

This they duly get, a great curling shot from Hunt. We are again joining in with the sing-song celebration because..........as before.

The whole ground is rocking again.

At this point Wolves are happy. They don't want us to score another. They don't want to try for a third in case they get caught on the break. Then a great roar goes round the ground (Spurs have just re-taken the lead). Then follows the tippy tappy stuff a la Man Utd home game.

So when you heard reports of a Wolves come back, things weren't actually as bad as they seemed.

Archived