BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

(CB) Cedric Mongongu

budha

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. I don't think we need a centre back if Samba is staying.

I'd rather we bought a good left back and moved Givet to the centre; Samba, Givet, Nelsen and Hanley is enough.

We've just sold a £16m centre-back.

Samba won't be at the club much longer, Nelsen's getting on, Givet plays left-back and Hanley's still unproven.

We need another body in defence.

He hasn't. Someone has been at Wikipedia again, like when we were after that Bulgarian striker and someone did it. I think it made it onto the radio news then?

Good memory Le C. Definitely reported in the LT but can't remember if it made radio too. One of BRFCS's fairly regular posters I seem to recall (no names, no pack drill).

Looks like he lost his place in the side to new signing Petter Hansson a 34yr old swede.

Hansson is a solid center back at any level, and probably played to bring some stability and experience to a very young side. Nothing shameful in being relegated to the bench by him, if that is indeed what happened. I haven't seen Mongongu play, but African central defenders usually do well in the Pl and he certainly meets the physical requirements.

We must remember that Samba was a $400k nobody when he came in & Nelsen was an aging nobody on a free transfer as well...

Both were players that (on paper) you would have steered well clear of

IMO it really is a big call for some of the self-appointed experts to be writing somebody off just based on internet research...

Mongi ain't bad despite what Eddie says. was part of an awful Monaco team. it was unbelievable watching them, as they looked lazy and their organisation was non existent from management right down to the players.

Is this the news that crashed the MB? Really?

Another name to add to the forum list of has-beens, and gambles.

"Business as usual"

the same as RSC, Benni, Samba, Nelsen, Bellamy, Salgado, MGP when they signed. I agree, has beens and gambles just never work out

Mongi ain't bad despite what Eddie says. was part of an awful Monaco team. it was unbelievable watching them, as they looked lazy and their organisation was non existent from management right down to the players.

The comments on the francefootball website following that article are mainly criticising Guy Lacombe the manager for their poor performances last year. They seem to reckon that Mongongu is not a bad prospect

The comments on the francefootball website following that article are mainly criticising Guy Lacombe the manager for their poor performances last year. They seem to reckon that Mongongu is not a bad prospect

as I said, the management were awful. I think in one of the games, he didn't know who he wanted to bring on by the looks of it. I also can't believe, how the Monaco hierarchy allowed them to get relegated.

In the end of the "We're here to stay" -story in LET it says that Kean hopes to start persuading him to join Rovers at Monday when they return from Austria. Personal terms are apparently still unsolved.

Sounding like this one is very likely now. His agent must be pretty convinced it will happen, to be coming out and saying Rovers are his first choice. Already trying to get the fans on side...

Hope he's a good un, the wages aren't too high, and that there aren't any stupid clauses!

Curious about the LET's comment though that he "is ready to turn down a number of top European clubs". What is the number, one? Lille are the only team mentioned...who else is tracking him?

He seems to have some talent this lad but recently has had a few issues. There is a very long thread over at ASMFoot.fr (in French) about him. It looks as if the recent addition of Dieumerci Mbokani to Monaco has brought out the worst in him. I cannot tell whether it is his attitude that changed or whether his performance levels suffered.

Hopefully Samba stays and will take this lad under his wing. It looks to me as if the coach of Monaco was also having issues controlling his players. Perhaps Blackburn will be a good second chance, fingers crossed it works out.

I would imagine that we will have to offer decent wages, but nothing large by premier league standards. Monaco pay their players quite well and have the obvious tax advantages of being in Monaco, so in order to match that it will take a bit, but I can't imagine that he is a massive earner, even by French standards.

As for his performances this year...well it is difficult to judge. He certainly has ability and has all of the physical tools necessary to be a very good central defender, but he is prone to lapses in concentration and very amateurish mistakes. That's not particularly unusual in Ligue 1 and he certainly wasn't helped by the fact that the entire Monaco team failed to turn up for the last season, but it would make me reluctanct to throw him into the side anytime soon. If Nelsen and Samba can stay and stay fit then he is a decent prospect to take on, particularly for a sensible fee (no more than 3 million euros and I'd say no more than 20k a week), but he is by no means a sure thing.

Archived