BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

(CB) Cedric Mongongu

budha

I really hope we sign this guy, as he's pretty much the only player we're currently realistically linked with that seems like a decent prospect. I wasn't particularly impressed when his name first popped up, as I naively thought we still were in with a chance of getting Witsel and other players from the "A-list". If some members of this board are to be believed, however, there's not a cat's chance in hell that we'll buy anyone who isn't a no-mark freebie this summer, and I fear they're right.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Different Congo though.

Mute point really-Samba is actually French. This is could be an astute signing. Granted, if it was the only player we paid a transfer fee for this summer id be extremely disappointed, but as shown by us many times in the past-you dont need to spend big to get an excellent player in. At only 22 and as a centre back-plenty of time to mature! :)

I would imagine that we will have to offer decent wages, but nothing large by premier league standards. Monaco pay their players quite well and have the obvious tax advantages of being in Monaco, so in order to match that it will take a bit, but I can't imagine that he is a massive earner, even by French standards.

As for his performances this year...well it is difficult to judge. He certainly has ability and has all of the physical tools necessary to be a very good central defender, but he is prone to lapses in concentration and very amateurish mistakes. That's not particularly unusual in Ligue 1 and he certainly wasn't helped by the fact that the entire Monaco team failed to turn up for the last season, but it would make me reluctanct to throw him into the side anytime soon. If Nelsen and Samba can stay and stay fit then he is a decent prospect to take on, particularly for a sensible fee (no more than 3 million euros and I'd say no more than 20k a week), but he is by no means a sure thing.

So a direct replacement for Samba?

Mute point really-Samba is actually French.

If he was right, it wouldn't have been moot (which is the word you meant to use). Firstly, Mongongu is French-Congolese too, having moved there as a child (and I presume having picked up a passport). But more importantly, if they played in the same national team, they would know each other. Which I expect was tombro's initial point.

I would imagine that we will have to offer decent wages, but nothing large by premier league standards. Monaco pay their players quite well and have the obvious tax advantages of being in Monaco, so in order to match that it will take a bit, but I can't imagine that he is a massive earner, even by French standards.

As for his performances this year...well it is difficult to judge. He certainly has ability and has all of the physical tools necessary to be a very good central defender, but he is prone to lapses in concentration and very amateurish mistakes. That's not particularly unusual in Ligue 1 and he certainly wasn't helped by the fact that the entire Monaco team failed to turn up for the last season, but it would make me reluctanct to throw him into the side anytime soon. If Nelsen and Samba can stay and stay fit then he is a decent prospect to take on, particularly for a sensible fee (no more than 3 million euros and I'd say no more than 20k a week), but he is by no means a sure thing.

Some interesting stuff there Eddie, your insight and views on Ligue 1 are always a good read.

If he was right, it wouldn't have been moot (which is the word you meant to use). Firstly, Mongongu is French-Congolese too, having moved there as a child (and I presume having picked up a passport). But more importantly, if they played in the same national team, they would know each other. Which I expect was tombro's initial point.

Ok fair enough-they're both French. Anyways, doesnt matter we've not a euro to rub together for this transfer anyways.

Be quite disappointing that, He looked like he had promise. You would of thought seeing he moved to France as a young child and he has been there for over 10 years he would have duel citizenship? and no Permit would be required? These things can obviously be appealed, but would be a blow if true

• 3 weeks later...

He didn't have a French passport, so it was impossible for us to sign him.

I don't think we'll look back on this one with regret. Decent player, but he probably won't start for Marseille and I would bet that in a season or two he will be shipped off to a slightly smaller Ligue 1 side. It's a very normal pattern in France.

Archived