BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

(CB) Cedric Mongongu

budha

Stoke are interested in Monaco defender Cedric Mongongu.

The 22-year-old is rated at £4million but following the French club's relegation Premier League clubs are looking to strike a bargain deal for a player who has been watched by Arsenal and Aston Villa over recent seasons.

The 6ft 2ins centre back has six caps for Congo but his dual French citizenship means he won't need a work permit. West Brom and Blackburn are also keen.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2008433/Stoke-weigh-bid-Cedric-Mongongu.html#ixzz1QStZz1zg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get confused with the Congo/DR Congo situation - which one does this guy represent and is it the same one Samba theoretically represents?

If they know each other and have been a defensive pairing at international level then this might be a very handy signing for convincing big Chris to stay. Also this guy doesn't look small - seeing the pair of them lining up together would frighten the life out of the other team's strikers!

Different Congo's. Samba represents the Republic of Congo where as Mongongu (and Joel Sami, who was linked earlier) represents the Democratic Republic of Congo.

And the Democratic Republic of Congo are still in the race for the African Nations -tournament in the winter, but Republic of Congo has already been ruled out. So Mongongu and Sami might be spending a month in Africa during the season..

• 2 weeks later...

Mongongu is a good strong player with a good chance that he will develop further.

I thought that this might be the one we would be signing when it was mentioned earlier.

For the money, it's a steal!!!

This is good news. I was concerned what would happen to the Chris Samba chant when he goes to Arsenal but Mongongu has the same number of syllables so we're in business. Plus, I really, really like saying his name.

He's still young so can improve, and like people say Samba wasnt exactly great when he 1st signed.

Transfermarkt profile on him

Agent - GROUPE USM

Favoured position - Centre defence

Can also play - Right back/ defensive mid

9 international caps, 79 games in Ligue 1 in France.

Valuation tracker

12 months ago was rated around £5.7m, and was being watched by Arsenal also.

Valuation tracker

12 months ago was rated around £5.7m, and was being watched by Arsenal also.

Does that mean he's been crap since? I'd be very curious to know, from anyone who might have a clue, whether Monaco's relegation was down to their defence, or a different part of their team. I've noticed their squad is extremely young, so maybe it was just inexperience? But if his valuation has roughly halved in a year, you have to suspect he might have made some key mistakes. With a club of Monaco's size, your valuation wouldn't halve just because of relegation.

Does that mean he's been crap since? I'd be very curious to know, from anyone who might have a clue, whether Monaco's relegation was down to their defence, or a different part of their team. I've noticed their squad is extremely young, so maybe it was just inexperience? But if his valuation has roughly halved in a year, you have to suspect he might have made some key mistakes. With a club of Monaco's size, your valuation wouldn't halve just because of relegation.

On that site they still value him higher than what we are paying.

Noticed he didnt play a massive amount of games last season, played more the year before.

Looks like he lost his place in the side to new signing Petter Hansson a 34yr old swede.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburnrovers/news/9127073.Blackburn_Rovers_move_for_Monaco_defender/

LET claiming we have made an official apporoach. Says that it is likely to move forward next week when Kean returns from Austria with the team. Fee shouldn't be a problem according to the article.

Beat ya :brfcsmilie:

Meh. I don't think we need a centre back if Samba is staying.

I'd rather we bought a good left back and moved Givet to the centre; Samba, Givet, Nelsen and Hanley is enough.

Still if he turns out to be good then it could be a bit of a bargain. It does mean Givet will probably still be plodding around at left back though. Unless Samba leaves that is, in which case we could have a bargain replacement already.

If, and it's only speculation that he even is, Mongongu is error prone then he does have one redeeming characteristic- he is the fastest footballer in the world! *Allegedly* he has run 100m in 9.95secs which means he might just be able to get back and cover himself if he's caught out of position. I remember an apt anecdote from when I was once dragged along to watch United by a mate (for shame!) and someone near me shouted, about Silvestre, "He might be s**t but at least he's quick!".

Archived